What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It’s time for Democrats and Republicans to get together... (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
...on an infrastructure deal. 

The wall fight is over. Trump lost. There’s not going to be another shutdown. Maybe there will be a border security for DACA deal, maybe Trump will declare a national emergency (he’ll just look foolish and lose in the courts if he tries) but there won’t be a wall. Time to move on. 

The Democrats can gloat and have a bunch of committees investigating Trump, but I don’t think this will go down well with the public. Barring a miracle, Trump is a one term lame duck. He was an experiment that some people in the Midwest wanted to try out; it turned out awful, they won’t do it again. The next President will be a Democrat, and 2019-20 will be largely devoted to finding out which one. 

That leaves us the question of what the federal government should do over the next couple of years. The one thing that polls consistently tell us is that everyone, conservative and liberal and independent alike, is sick of all the fighting. They want something accomplished, something big. Infrastructure seems like the obvious choice. 

Infrastructure can’t wait.  

In Ohio we are going to have to raise our gas tax and find new ways to tax electric vehicles. It’s a huge problem in our state.  Spending billions on infrastructure in other countries that we blew up has taken its toll. 

I think this is a common ground issue. 

The overriding problem is our Congress blows.  Any attempt to fix the real problems will result in many pork and pet projects sucking up all the money while our major interstates continue to deteriorate.  High speed rail is another must as well as improving mass transit in many cities.   We are so far behind.   

In Ohio we are going to have to raise our gas tax and find new ways to tax electric vehicles. It’s a huge problem in our state.  Spending billions on infrastructure in other countries that we blew up has taken its toll. 

The overriding problem is our Congress blows.  Any attempt to fix the real problems will result in many pork and pet projects sucking up all the money while our major interstates continue to deteriorate.  High speed rail is another must as well as improving mass transit in many cities.   We are so far behind.   
You raise an excellent point. But I think we have to swallow the pork at this point in order to get things done. 

I’m not sure about high speed rail. I used to be sold on it but in California it’s turned into a major spending boondoggle with no end in sight.

Here’s a fact that Hillary Clinton raised in 2016: it takes as long for freight to move through the city of Chicago as it does to move from the west coast TO Chicago. 

Assuming this is accurate, this is the sort of thing we should be fixing without delay. Think of the money we can save (and the money generated) if we fix problems like these. 

Here’s a fact that Hillary Clinton raised in 2016: it takes as long for freight to move through the city of Chicago as it does to move from the west coast TO Chicago. 

Assuming this is accurate, this is the sort of thing we should be fixing without delay. Think of the money we can save (and the money generated) if we fix problems like these. 
Congestion is an issue in many places.  Railroad companies have to park trains that can be almost 2 miles long to wait their turns. It should be an easy fix.  

Ok let states keep more federal tax money assuming it’s dedicated. Dems on board with this?

Ohio's roads are awesome compared to Michigans

I’m on board with this, just not optimistic our split congress will get a thing done in next 2 years. 
serious question......why wasn't anything besides the tax bill done the past two years? Seems like a lot could of been done...….shrug

Ill hang up and listen

The Democrats can gloat and have a bunch of committees investigating Trump, but I don’t think this will go down well with the public. Barring a miracle, Trump is a one term lame duck. He was an experiment that some people in the Midwest wanted to try out; it turned out awful, they won’t do it again. The next President will be a Democrat, and 2019-20 will be largely devoted to finding out which one. 
You act like that is a given, but I am not so sure. With voter suppression of minorities continuing in many Republican controlled states, plus the expected Russian interference again (maybe with successful hacking voting machines this time) I see it as a close race and I would not be shocked if Trump is elected to a 2nd term.

Last edited by a moderator:

My man. Excellent post, and I agree 100%

Reardless of our (this board)differences on some other policies here and there, nobody can be against what you listed. Heck, I thought I read the Russians have penetrated our power grid too. We need to modernize everywhere.

Do you mean more the "last mile problem"? https://www.businessinsider.com/last-mile-delivery-shipping-explained

I'm not sure that's what people are talking about with infrastructure though is it? Aren't you saying more like safe bridges, well maintained roads, good signage, enough lanes to handle traffic and that kind of thing? 

And big picture, I agree. It seems like most everyone can agree on this issue. Although I guess it trends as more important to people with more money, right?

serious question......why wasn't anything besides the tax bill done the past two years? Seems like a lot could of been done...….shrug

Ill hang up and listen
Not looking for a slap fight just posted what I thought. I am looking forward to my significant tax reduction this year, thanks for the reminder. 

Congestion is an issue in many places.  Railroad companies have to park trains that can be almost 2 miles long to wait their turns. It should be an easy fix.  
DC is a choke point on the East Coast. They just completed a rail project near where I work to add a second tunnel and enlarge the first tunnel to allow for double stacked containers.

Ill hang up and listen
Congress appears more interested in  :pokey:  than actually rolling up their sleeves and addressing issues like infrastructure. We are stuck in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.  

That leaves us the question of what the federal government should do over the next couple of years. The one thing that polls consistently tell us is that everyone, conservative and liberal and independent alike, is sick of all the fighting. They want something accomplished, something big. Infrastructure seems like the obvious choice. 

I'd love for you to be right here, Tim.

Do you have more info on the polls showing there is desire for this? My personal sense is I don't see much desire for one side to work with the other. 

Not looking for a slap fight just posted what I thought. I am looking forward to my significant tax reduction this year, thanks for the reminder. 
I'm not slap fighting, super majorities are rare, the Repubs had control of everything and the economy was roaring, I think they should of done the border security and the infrastructure then. or middle class I think the tax break will be minimal or nothing at all.....

I'm not slap fighting, super majorities are rare, the Repubs had control of everything and the economy was roaring, I think they should of done the border security and the infrastructure then. or middle class I think the tax break will be minimal or nothing at all.....
In hindsight sure doing the border earlier makes sense if you are really worried about the border wall. My CPA expense savings in the roughly $10k range, to a small business owner that’s much more significant than th wall but I understand all you do is look to point out negative so I get it. 

More like who. I’m sure the tide will turn in here  once a Dem is making the calls.....pretty predictable. Acting like it’s just “the other side “ that does is funny.  
You seem to be bringing this up more than me but anyways. Infrastructure should be the easiest thing for these people to do. Who doesn’t love spending money on stuff.

Obama tried to do this early on and got shot down IIRC because of Tea Party right wingers  thought he was going to ruin the country. 

Do you mean more the "last mile problem"? https://www.businessinsider.com/last-mile-delivery-shipping-explained

I'm not sure that's what people are talking about with infrastructure though is it? Aren't you saying more like safe bridges, well maintained roads, good signage, enough lanes to handle traffic and that kind of thing? 
All of it. Everything you mentioned plus the “last mile problem.” My impression about Chicago was that it involved delays passing through the city- but either way I’m for spending money to fix it. 

More like who. I’m sure the tide will turn in here  once a Dem is making the calls.....pretty predictable. Acting like it’s just “the other side “ that does is funny.  
Personally I don’t want to blame anyone and I don’t want to look backwards. Perhaps it’s naive but I want to start over by working together on stuff like this. 

You seem to be bringing this up more than me but anyways. Infrastructure should be the easiest thing for these people to do. Who doesn’t love spending money on stuff.

Obama tried to do this early on and got shot down IIRC because of Tea Party right wingers  thought he was going to ruin the country. 
Your right, Obama was right and it's all the fault of the right. Beer 30, enjoy the rest of the weekend! :D

Your right, Obama was right and it's all the fault of the right. Beer 30, enjoy the rest of the weekend! :D
You have a good weekend.

Maybe I was being a little dickish but my point is that this better get done soon because the deficit will be an issue again very soon. 

DC is a choke point on the East Coast. They just completed a rail project near where I work to add a second tunnel and enlarge the first tunnel to allow for double stacked containers.
And things are slowly progressing to replace the Long Bridge, which will help with freight and passenger rail traffic. Probably at least 10 years away. 

If we bring back earmarks then I guarantee we will see more infrastructure projects and bipartisan voting. People demonized pork, and didn't consider the consequences of removal.

Yep.  And then they proceeded to blow up the deficit with tax cuts

The wall fight is over. Trump lost. There’s not going to be another shutdown. Maybe there will be a border security for DACA deal, maybe Trump will declare a national emergency (he’ll just look foolish and lose in the courts if he tries) but there won’t be a wall. Time to move on. 

I agree with most of this post. Mildly disagree with it being guaranteed that the next President will be Democratic. Nothing is a guarantee.

As to the bolded, I expect better from you. It's passive aggressive and adds to the divide of this country that you so often complain about. It lumps everything together as being Midwest and ignores large parts of this country. It gives off a vibe of "It's California, New England, and everything else is Midwest"

I agree with most of this post. Mildly disagree with it being guaranteed that the next President will be Democratic. Nothing is a guarantee.

As to the bolded, I expect better from you. It's passive aggressive and adds to the divide of this country that you so often complain about. It lumps everything together as being Midwest and ignores large parts of this country. It gives off a vibe of "It's California, New England, and everything else is Midwest"
Look my opinion is that Trump won by getting narrow majorities in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. And that, with the possible exception of Ohio, it was a one time shot, not going to happen again. It’s just an opinion, take it for what it’s worth. 

The main reason I included it in the OP was not to to “rub it in” On conservatives, but to make the point to Democrats: we don’t need to oppose Trump at every turn. We don’t need to behave like the Republicans did with Obama. It’s bad politics because Trump is going to lose anyhow. So let’s work with him when we can for the good of the country. 

Look my opinion is that Trump won by getting narrow majorities in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. And that, with the possible exception of Ohio, it was a one time shot, not going to happen again. It’s just an opinion, take it for what it’s worth. 

The main reason I included it in the OP was not to to “rub it in” On conservatives, but to make the point to Democrats: we don’t need to oppose Trump at every turn. We don’t need to behave like the Republicans did with Obama. It’s bad politics because Trump is going to lose anyhow. So let’s work with him when we can for the good of the country. 
I know what you are saying. Our election system is what it is. But, to discredit the other states that Trump won, is discounting the voice of a lot of people. Giving credit to, or pointing blame at, Midwest is not good optics. 

timschochet said:

I have a hard time seeing Trump win re-election. Not because the Democrats will put up some candidate that will unite Americans (they won't), but because Trump has no credibility - he's pretty much seen as a clown by most people outside of his 35% of supporters. Democrats will have an easier path to 270 and won't have to deal (as much) with being far left, even if they are trending in that direction.

Infrastucuture sounds great on the surface, but who is getting the projects, how much money does it cost, which projects, etc.? SHould be a no-brainer, but don't see this passing either.

Users who are viewing this thread