What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Howard Schultz 2019 presidential annoucement (2 Viewers)

Well, I don’t know how many examples we have other than Trump - basically he’s the only one, right?  Even if he’s the worst business man in the world it still doesn’t hold that the best one would make a great President.  
Right, but if someone cited Trump as a reason we should never elect a president from Queens, that would be silly, right?

Don't get me wrong; I generally agree that citing business experience as a relevant qualification for higher office is silly. I just think that in Trump's case, it's like 23rd on the list of reasons he's unfit for the job.

Anyway, for me, a candidate's management style and ability is a major criterion, far more important than their position on specific issues. We never know exactly what they'll face once they get to office, so I want to have a good idea of how they'll respond in a crisis, the types of people they'll surround themselves with, etc. But I've seen far too many "successful" CEO types in my career who turned out to be horrible managers, and plenty of career politicians who were fantastic ones.

Good takedown of Schultz and his complete ignorance of how American politics work.

One other thing I would add: Any billionaire with zero political experience who thinks he can win as an independent is going to face a heavy lift, but in this specific case, nothing Schultz has said so far gives me any confidence that he's the one who can pull it off. He doesn't sound like an especially skilled orator, nor does he seem to be representing any significant political constituency (check out the chart in Chait's piece). In fact, everything he has done over the past few days (and, indeed, the past few years) is consistent with the stereotype of a clueless egotistical billionaire who has no concept of how to translate his business success into the political realm.

So keep making the same mistake, it’s the definition of insanity.  
Electing an unqualified businessman with zero political experience and a questionable track record to the highest office in the country seems like a mistake we've definitely never made before. 

"X and Y have lost their appeal, therefore Z seems like a good option" is not usually a good method of making decisions.
So keep making the same mistake, it’s the definition of insanity.  
:confused:

Voting for Schultz would be repeating the same mistake as voting for Trump, i.e., your definition of insanity.

(Or -- and here's an idea -- maybe we shouldn't use slogans from Bartlett's Familiar Quotations to determine the path of our country.)

If Trump is smart, he'll help fund Schultz's campaign. Any independent getting even 1% helps Trump get reelected.

I’m intrigued by another option from the business world not named Trump...doesn’t sound like this is the guy. If Cuban was serious when he said he may run I would watch that closely. I think we will see some better options from outside DC next election but not sure who would prefer. 
I’d be very interested in Cuban.  Bloomberg is interesting too. 

I’d be very interested in Cuban.  Bloomberg is interesting too. 
It seems like you're a Trump supporter realizing you shouldn't actually support the man but you're unwilling to support the person most likely to put a stop to his madness. Am I mistaken?

It seems like you're a Trump supporter realizing you shouldn't actually support the man but you're unwilling to support the person most likely to put a stop to his madness. Am I mistaken?
Yes. Wherever a Trump supporter is on a spectrum I’m at the exact opposite end.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you will about Bloomberg, at least he's smart enough to recognize the obvious.

Mike Bloomberg Statement on Independent Run

Last fall I spent over $100 million of my own money to elect Democrats to the House because I believed it was absolutely imperative to ensure a congressional counterweight to President Trump.

Thankfully, we were successful. But that was just the first step — the next and most important step is to defeat Donald Trump in 2020.

Now I have never been a partisan guy — and it’s no secret that I looked at an independent bid in the past. In fact I faced exactly the same decision now facing others who are considering it.

The data was very clear and very consistent. Given the strong pull of partisanship and the realities of the electoral college system, there is no way an independent can win. That is truer today than ever before.

In 2020, the great likelihood is that an independent would just split the anti-Trump vote and end up re-electing the President. That's a risk I refused to run in 2016 and we can't afford to run it now.

We must remain united, and we must not allow any candidate to divide or fracture us. The stakes couldn’t be higher.

This guy is a joke.

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur

FollowFollow @sahilkapur

More

Asked if he'd raise taxes on corporations as president, Howard Schultz says: "I don't want to talk in the hypothetical about what I would do if I was president."
I've seen that quote going around on Twitter, but Kapur was quoting from an article in June 2018. It seems like a lot of people are making fun of the quote as if he said it last night or this morning.

Electing an unqualified businessman with zero political experience and a questionable track record to the highest office in the country seems like a mistake we've definitely never made before. 
Our 2 party only system is broken.  The easiest way to solve is a viable 3rd party that is moderate.  

Not sure what trump supporters think on this issue.  Just my personal stance here.  
If you haven't taken the time to determine their stance how can you be so confident you're as far removed from them as you claim you'd like to be? 

Our 2 party only system is broken.  The easiest way to solve is a viable 3rd party that is moderate.  
One way to achieve this is to support electoral reform. Eliminating the EC and implementing one of the versions of Ranked Choice Voting would go a long way to breaking up the two party system.

But we can never get conservatives to participate even a little bit in the threads where we discuss these issues. Be a trendsetter for the right, stlrams!

The polarization is probably the worst it’s ever been in Washington so now is the perfect time.   Hey it doesn’t have to Schultz...
And an independent making a serious runs guarantees a Trump win and an even worse polarization for the next four years.  Maybe in 2024.

Tbf, I don't think Trump is a terrible president because he's a businessman with no previous political experience. I think Schultz would be a terrible president but for different reasons than what makes Trump a terrible president. 

From my perspective that would mean you'll be voting for Democrats in the next election. Is that incorrect? 
In all likelihood.  I’m pretty central so a good independent would be great but I understand the negative impact that would have on my desired outcome (Trump out) so that’s all but out.  A moderate Republican ( like I’d guess Cuban would be but is basically nonexistent in today’s Republican Party) would be intriguing as well.  

The flip side is my vote is basically worthless, California, so the idea of throwing an independent some love is appealing.  I’d love to see that party get the 15% needed to get into the national debate.   

You’ve managed to misrepresent the point he was making and make the discussion tedious at the same time.  Congrats?
Well, you managed to misrepresent what I was saying while also being kind of a d##k, so you win, I guess?

I understood perfectly the point he was making, and expressed a mild disagreement over the issue of whether Trump's business background was relevant to the discussion of Schultz, which I then followed with a discussion of where I did agree with him. But I'm sure he appreciates you defending his honor.

Anyway, what's really tedious is people arguing over the mechanics of an argument, so I'll drop it.

(Also, credit where it's due: A couple posts above this one, @Hilts makes the point I was originally trying to make much more succinctly than I did.)

If you haven't taken the time to determine their stance how can you be so confident you're as far removed from them as you claim you'd like to be? 
Don’t recall saying I was dramatically different from the trump gang.

You have to give him a chance. ~ several hundred posts 2 years ago

Schultz taking a lot of heat in here but at least has a responsible view on issues:

1) Sees national debt as greatest U.S. domestic threat

2) Wants to rejoin Paris climate accord; sensible views on immigration, health care, tax laws.

GOP, please tell me how you're going to keep moving right and yet address climate change.

Democrats, please tell me how you're going to come remotely close to one day balancing a budget (much less actually paying off the debt) while continuing to expand the government.

Truth: https://crooked.com/articles/open-letter-howard-schultz/

I don't know much about Schultz, but I think:

1. If he's going to run for President, he should run as a Republican or as a Democrat. Not as an Independent.

2. If he's going to run for President, he should first be a Senator or Governor or something. (I said the same about Oprah.)

Point #1 is really just true for this election. In most other elections, I'd be okay with an Independent run. Point #2 is generalizable to all elections.

Schultz taking a lot of heat in here but at least has a responsible view on issues:

1) Sees national debt as greatest U.S. domestic threat

2) Wants to rejoin Paris climate accord; sensible views on immigration, health care, tax laws.

GOP, please tell me how you're going to keep moving right and yet address climate change.

Democrats, please tell me how you're going to come remotely close to one day balancing a budget (much less actually paying off the debt) while continuing to expand the government.
The GOP doesn't want to address climate change and pretends it doesn't exist.   The Dems could take a huge step in balancing the budget just be rescinding Trump's tax cuts for the rich.

Users who are viewing this thread