What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (1 Viewer)

Snap count for 10/27 vs. Philadelphia:

• Frank Gore 18-of-54 (9 carries, 0 targets)
  • Devin Singletary 42-of-54 (3 carries, 6 targets)
I wasn't able to watch this game but would be curious to hear from anyone who did what they make of this information.  Was it game flow with the Bills trailing throughout?

Last edited by a moderator:

I wasn't able to watch this game but would be curious to hear from anyone who did what they make of this information.  Was it game flow with the Bills trailing throughout?
Not really, no.  The Bills led for much of the first half, and it was a 1-score deficit until late in the 3rd quarter.  For whatever reason, the Bills seem content to simply not use him very much.  

I didn't watch this game, but I did watch the Miami game and I thought Gore at 50 years old looked like the better runner.

I didn't watch this game, but I did watch the Miami game and I thought Gore at 50 years old looked like the better runner.
What kinda strikes me about Singletary is that he looks almost-unnatural running the ball, but yet he seems to produce good results when he gets it.  On the "eye test", he looks slow.  Like he has the long strides of a player about 6 inches taller yet with the legs of a 5'7" RB.  It's strange looking.  That said, he's shown time and time again this year that he's capable of making players miss and breaking tackles.  He's like a weird, shifty bowling ball with a very low center of gravity.  Whatever he's doing, it seems to be working, when they can get him the ball.

TD against the Eagles
Some preseason highlights

He reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson except at RB.  Stevie was never the fastest.  Didn't have superglue hands.  Didn't run the cleanest routes.  Not a combine warrior.  But for whatever reason, he was consistently productive.  You never really knew why, but he was always there where and when they needed him.  Singletary strikes me as that kind of player.

Steve Tasker said:
What kinda strikes me about Singletary is that he looks almost-unnatural running the ball, but yet he seems to produce good results when he gets it.  On the "eye test", he looks slow.  Like he has the long strides of a player about 6 inches taller yet with the legs of a 5'7" RB.  It's strange looking.  That said, he's shown time and time again this year that he's capable of making players miss and breaking tackles.  He's like a weird, shifty bowling ball with a very low center of gravity.  Whatever he's doing, it seems to be working, when they can get him the ball.

TD against the Eagles
Some preseason highlights

He reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson except at RB.  Stevie was never the fastest.  Didn't have superglue hands.  Didn't run the cleanest routes.  Not a combine warrior.  But for whatever reason, he was consistently productive.  You never really knew why, but he was always there where and when they needed him.  Singletary strikes me as that kind of player.
Stevie is a great comparison. Singletary doesn’t boast huge measurables, but he seems to process things at a different level and uses his body and feet to set guys up and keep them off balance. And he does have a great ability to change direction in small spaces and make guys miss.

He has great vision and seems to always find a crease and get to open field if anything is there at all. That along with patience to setup blocks and wait for holes to open make him much more than his physical measurables.

Do the Buffalo homers speculate Devin is the starter next year?  

Surely, Gore can’t play another year. Lol. 

He got 68% of “SNAPS”. Over the time span of “THE GAME HE GOT HURT”.   I don’t see why he won’t return to at least that   Maybe tomorrow maybe later, but do we really think 57 year old frank gore is the better option??
Got 68% of snaps again week 8.  

Got 68% of snaps again week 8.  

Something doesn't compute. 42/54=77% but I don't know where these numbers came from. Did Singletary really dominate touches like this? I didn't get to see it.

Something doesn't compute. 42/54=77% but I don't know where these numbers came from. Did Singletary really dominate touches like this? I didn't get to see it.
Pro-Football-Reference lists Singletary with 42 snaps and 68%, and they list Gore with 18 and 29%. Based on those numbers, it looks like they are accounting for 62 snaps.

Pro-Football-Reference lists Singletary with 42 snaps and 68%, and they list Gore with 18 and 29%. Based on those numbers, it looks like they are accounting for 62 snaps.
I believe the official snap counts include punts and field goals, as those are still offensive snaps. For simplicity, I edited those out. Naturally, that made it more complicated than it needed to be! 🤔

I believe the official snap counts include punts and field goals, as those are still offensive snaps. For simplicity, I edited those out. Naturally, that made it more complicated than it needed to be! 🤔
Are you sure?  Because quarterbacks play 100% of snaps but aren't on the field for punts and usually field goals.

Singletary played 42/62 offensive snaps

gore played 18/62 offensive snaps

this is the data that I came across. Either way the point is singletary appears to be slowly taking over lions share of snaps. Gore will still have his place no doubt but Devin arrow is pointing up IMO.

Are you sure?  Because quarterbacks play 100% of snaps but aren't on the field for punts and usually field goals.
From the Pro Football Reference box score, the Bills ran 20 rush plays and 34 pass plays, totaling 54.

They punted six times and attempted one field goal, which admittedly leaves us one short of 62.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it would seem there were only 54 true opportunities for Singletary to be on the field.  But I may be hopelessly complicating things.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201910270buf.htm

Here's a thing, and call me crazy but.....who cares if it was 42/62 or 42/54???  The point is it was Singletary 42 Gore 18.  Move on!   And the bigger point is that Singletary reutrned, almost immediately, to his dominant role that he had prior to injury.  It's going under the radar.  And his schedule is buttery ros.

Fantasy fallout: Signs of life for David Montgomery, rookie RBs

Excerpt:

Singletary: The third-round pick from Florida Atlantic has been flashing breakout potential since the preseason. But so far he has continued to do it in small doses while playing alongside veteran Frank Gore -- thanks in part to a hamstring injury that sidelined him in Weeks 3-5.

Singletary made another case for an expanded role in Week 8, however, when he played his most snaps since Week 1 (39) and scored on a 28-yard touchdown pass.

“The frustrating thing for Singletary’s fantasy owners and Bills fans is his low usage despite his high efficiency,” said Marcel Louis-Jacques, who did a deep dive on Singletary’s usage rate compared to the rest of the NFL. “No other running back with fewer than 30 touches on the season can rival the 230 scrimmage yards Singletary has produced. J.D. McKissic is the closest with 183.

“Even if Singletary were getting the same 39% usage rate as Royce Freeman -- a back in a similar timeshare situation for the Broncos -- Singletary’s 7.9 yards per touch would equate to 101 yards per game played.”

The biggest concern with Singletary, according to Louis-Jacques, is that he has only three red-zone touches so far this season, which suggests his future production might be based on his big-play ability. But Louis-Jacques thinks Singletary’s improved health and continued production will “eventually force the Bills’ hand” to increase his workload.

Devin Singletary rushed 20 times for 95 yards and one touchdown in the Redskins' Week 9 win over the Redskins, adding three receptions and 45 yards as a receiver.

This breakout game should force the Bills into playing Singletary over Frank Gore for the rest of the season, as Singletary averaged 5.8 yards on 24 looks while Gore had 15 yards on 11 rush attempts. Singletary was able to shake defenders all game long and took a screen pass for a big gain when he had some open space. Gore was subbed in early in the game when the Bills were near the end zone, but Singletary punched in a short touchdown late. This will still likely be some sort of a two-back committee, but Singletary should now be projected for 1A work after being Gore's 1B for the first half of the season. Singletary will be an RB2 next week in Cleveland.

Nov 3, 2019, 3:51 PM ET

If this guy can stay healthy, he could be on a lot of league winning teams this year. I don't think Gore is totally going away, but the final nail in the coffin for him seemed to be when he had three straight cracks at the one yard line and couldn't punch it in.

Competitive team + conservative offense + dual running and receiving threat is a good mixture. Beyond injury, the only potential downside is that Allen runs the ball a lot himself.

Traded for this guy 2 week ago when I lost Kerryon.  

Looks good, hope he gets the opportunity the rest of the way.

This guy is great.  Had to start him due to injuries to DJ and Conner with choice of Devin or Frank Gore.

I went with Devin.

Look at his runs, he reads his blocks so well, accelerates at the right time, runs low to the ground and makes quick-precise cuts and finishes every run where he's the one dishing out punishment.  

To those that drafted him, we got ourselves a winna.🏆 

Man. I've been carrying him on the bench in a keeper league all year, figuring he'd be a great trade chip at the deadline. (I won't be able to keep him, but other teams could.) Find some team looking to the future and flip the rookie RB for a veteran putting up better numbers this year. Classic win-win. Now our deadline week is here, and I don't know if I'll have the guts to do it.

The kid could be a monster if the Bills ever decide to use him that way. Just a question of when -- next year, or now.

Win to stay in the playoffs chase game forced me to give up my #2 waiver spot to get him. Glad he helped and hope he keeps it going. 

Interesting that Waldman remains skeptical of Singletary's future because he's too slow. He may not be a speed demon, but he didn't seem slow out there to me.

zamboni said:
Interesting that Waldman remains skeptical of Singletary's future because he's too slow. He may not be a speed demon, but he didn't seem slow out there to me.
I sorta hit on this maybe a week or so ago in this thread.  He is absolutely slow for an NFL RB of his size.  Kinda plods along awkwardly.

But he's got that Stevie Johnson factor.  You can't really tell why he's productive......but he's productive  He's never gonna have those highlight-reel runs, but he looks like he can still get the job done.

These 2 plays from this past week highlight what I'm talking about here.  The first play, there is an unblocked DB who meets him at the LOS.  The OL doing a great job of sustaining their blocks, and it's Singletary's job to break the tackle.  Not only does he not get tackled, he embarrasses #31 so badly that he falls to the ground without even laying a finger on Singletary.  The second play - again, nice blocking, but this play looks initially designed to go off-tackle.  The Redskins diagnose it and sell out to take the outside lane away.....so he puts his foot in the ground, blows by Ryan Kerrigan (with the help of a nice seal block from Dawson Knox), and in the blink of an eye he's got 9 yards and a first down.  Again, nothing flashy, but good vision and decisiveness reading his blocking, and enough of a burst to pick up yards that other backs might not have found.

I sorta hit on this maybe a week or so ago in this thread.  He is absolutely slow for an NFL RB of his size.  Kinda plods along awkwardly.

But he's got that Stevie Johnson factor.  You can't really tell why he's productive......but he's productive  He's never gonna have those highlight-reel runs, but he looks like he can still get the job done.

These 2 plays from this past week highlight what I'm talking about here.  The first play, there is an unblocked DB who meets him at the LOS.  The OL doing a great job of sustaining their blocks, and it's Singletary's job to break the tackle.  Not only does he not get tackled, he embarrasses #31 so badly that he falls to the ground without even laying a finger on Singletary.  The second play - again, nice blocking, but this play looks initially designed to go off-tackle.  The Redskins diagnose it and sell out to take the outside lane away.....so he puts his foot in the ground, blows by Ryan Kerrigan (with the help of a nice seal block from Dawson Knox), and in the blink of an eye he's got 9 yards and a first down.  Again, nothing flashy, but good vision and decisiveness reading his blocking, and enough of a burst to pick up yards that other backs might not have found.
Nice analysis. Singletary seems to have some good instincts and shiftiness to make him a successful RB. To be sure, not every RB needs to run a 4.4 to have success.

He's not a burner, but he's not slow. And even if by some BS longer distance measurement in shorts he was timed to be, he's showing all of the other key traits in actual NFL games that successful RBs have, namely: vision, balance, quick feet, forward body lean, power, hands and short area burst.

He quietly took over the lionshare touches two weeks ago and pretty much no one in the broader fantasy community, save for a select few FBGs in this thread, noticed. Then this week, he has a breakout dual-threat feature RB performance, despite Gore getting four straight unsuccessful cracks at an early GL series. The arrow is way up on this dude and his matchups next few weeks look delish, before stiffening up severely come fantasy playoff time. Enjoy the ride until then at least.

Devin Singletary rushed eight times for 42 yards in the Bills' Week 10 loss to the Browns, adding three receptions for eight additional yards.

One week after seeming to take control of the Bills' backfield with 23 touches, Singletary bafflingly handled the ball just three times before halftime and was scarcely more involved after the break. A lurching Josh Allen made it difficult for the Bills' offense to get in gear, though Frank Gore remained stubbornly involved for six touches despite Singletary's far superior efficiency. It's never easy. Singletary does have the ultimate Week 11 FLEX bounce-back spot in a Miami road trip.
So much for taking control of the backfield.

So much for taking control of the backfield.
It was a weird game. 

• Singletary - 8 rushes for 42 yards
  • QB Josh Allen - 6 rushes for 28 yards with 2 TDs
  • Gore - 5 for 12 yards
  • OL (rec fumble by Allen at the goal line) Patrick DiMarco - 1 rush for 2 yards
If you saw the game you would know it was a strange game (Browns had one possession with 8 GL situations and failed to score/turned it over on downs).  Missed extra point due to taunting call on Landry when he scored.  Safety to tie the game up .  Too many oddities to recall.  Just very odd/quirky game but Singletary was the lead back.

No, as they will have nobody besides Devin and Yeldon, with Yeldon being gone after next year.  They'll need to add usable talent at RB pretty bad.
Haven’t watched Singletary play, what do you think his potential is as a fantasy RB in this offense?

Haven’t watched Singletary play, what do you think his potential is as a fantasy RB in this offense?
He looks good, but usage seems to hinge on shaky QB play. Also, the goal line carries get vultured by Josh Allen.

Users who are viewing this thread