Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Devin ‘Motor’ Singletary, Bills

1 minute ago, killface said:

i have him but i'm not sure i see anything special there.  i think he's fine and borderline good but they certainly may try to bring in some competition

Dude averaged 5.1 a carry and he's nothing special? Tough crowd.

He's not blessed with breakaway speed but he's really good at getting chunks. What's interesting to me is how he was an inside runner in college but in this offense he's bouncing things to the outside to great effect. Once he gets comfortable with the blocking then he can do much more. He's hurt by Allen's ability to call his own number in the red zone for a score. At the end of the day, his value is determined by Allen's growth. Allen showed a lot of improvement this year and that's a good sign.

15 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Dude averaged 5.1 a carry and he's nothing special? Tough crowd.

He's not blessed with breakaway speed but he's really good at getting chunks. What's interesting to me is how he was an inside runner in college but in this offense he's bouncing things to the outside to great effect. Once he gets comfortable with the blocking then he can do much more. He's hurt by Allen's ability to call his own number in the red zone for a score. At the end of the day, his value is determined by Allen's growth. Allen showed a lot of improvement this year and that's a good sign.

I watched. I'm likely drafting ahead of ADP in order to get him next year in redraft.  

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I watched. I'm likely drafting ahead of ADP in order to get him next year in redraft.  

I like his ability to move through traffic. he can set up defenders and use a terrific jump cut. Buffalo invested in their o-line and he's able to use it to great effect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IheartGuinness said:

Do people think Frank Gore is going to retire?

I suppose keeping Frank Gore around is less of a threat to Singletary's touches than them bringing in a guy or, worse yet, drafting one.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, IheartGuinness said:

Do people think Frank Gore is going to retire?

He's only topped 50 yards in a game once since week 8. Singletary in almost the same span is complete opposite. He's had more rushing attempts, yardage, and touchdowns. Singletary owners - like me - shouldn't feel like he's lurking. Gore's not even vulturing red zone opportunities from him because Gore's last TD was in week 3. 

50 minutes ago, saintfool said:

He's only topped 50 yards in a game once since week 8. Singletary in almost the same span is complete opposite. He's had more rushing attempts, yardage, and touchdowns. Singletary owners - like me - shouldn't feel like he's lurking. Gore's not even vulturing red zone opportunities from him because Gore's last TD was in week 3. 

Unfortunately Singletary only has 2 rush tds  on the year I believe 

4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Unfortunately Singletary only has 2 rush tds  on the year I believe 

I posted earlier in the thread about how Allen's ability to scramble or call his own number in the red zone hurts DS. i wish it were different but it is what it is. i still think DS is trending up.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I believe I’m forced to start him this week with Carson hurt

I’d be cautious. With the Bills locked into the 5 seed, they have little to play for. I don’t think Singletary plays much, if at all.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I’d be cautious. With the Bills locked into the 5 seed, they have little to play for. I don’t think Singletary plays much, if at all.

Good looking out, I haven’t gotten that deep into the week yet

Posted (edited)

Devin Singletary rushed 13 times for 58 yards and caught 6-of-7 targets for 76 yards in the Bills' Wild Card loss to the Texans.

Singletary led the Bills in receiving in this one and was their best player on the field. His rookie season started off strong in the preseason, but he suffered a Week 2 injury and didn't return until Week 7. By Week 9, Singletary took over clear-cut No. 1 duties, registering 20-plus touches four times over the second half of the year. A tackle-breaking machine who consistently beats first contact, Singletary will be someone to target early in fantasy drafts next summer. The only downside is Josh Allen routinely steals touchdown looks on the ground close to the goal line, a la Cam Newton in the past. Singletary managed a 151-775-2 rushing line in the regular season, averaging a robust 5.1 yards per attempt, adding 29-194-2 as a receiver.

Edited by The Frankman

6 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

A running back being your leading receiver and your QB being your leading rusher for the game probably isn’t ideal.

Not sure why they abandoned the run through the backs in overtime.  I think that mistake proved costly.

I own him and like him but I'm not sure if there is enough spark there for buffalo to use him exclusively

2 hours ago, killface said:

I own him and like him but I'm not sure if there is enough spark there for buffalo to use him exclusively

On the other hand, it's possible that the coaching staff may feel they erred by not using him more.

Posted (edited)

Some Singletary discussion going on in the Gordon thread, but better to have here.

Looks more promising that Singletary will have a prominent role next year after the Bills passed on Gordon. Granted, they could still sign a Freeman or Hyde, but Gordon would have been a bigger dent to Singletary’s playing time IMO.

There’s still the rookie draft, but the Bills are already down a 1st (Diggs trade) and it’s hard to envision the first pick of their draft in the 2nd being a RB. Which likely pushes an RB draft pick later in the draft, presumably as depth.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Devin Singletary "definitely could" be "the workload guy."

Singletary theoretically could have a bigger workload this season with Frank Gore off the roster, but we will have to wait until after the 2020 NFL Draft before getting too excited. Beane also said they're always interested in bringing in competition if the "right guy" is available. With most draft analysts high on this running back class, it's somewhat likely that a capable rookie will be brought into Buffalo to compliment Singletary. Last season, Singletary averaged 5.1 yards per carry but was subbed out in short-yardage situations where Gore and Josh Allen saw most looks. Singletary's fantasy value will be tied to who is brought in behind him.

SOURCE: Roster Watch on Twitter

Apr 8, 2020, 9:37 PM ET

Of course.

And the Bills have to get a RB. They have 2 on their entire roster, unless you include a soon to be 29 year old English rugby player. Taiwan Jones, soon to be 32 years old, was added but when asked about his RB prowess GM Brandon Beane said it was a special teams addition which his 10 carries over the last 4 years attest to.

Yeah they'll definitely draft a RB. It'll probably be some sort of committee with Singletary but if it's not one of the top end guys, he should retain his value. 

On 4/9/2020 at 1:08 AM, BigSteelThrill said:

Of course.

And the Bills have to get a RB. They have 2 on their entire roster, unless you include a soon to be 29 year old English rugby player. Taiwan Jones, soon to be 32 years old, was added but when asked about his RB prowess GM Brandon Beane said it was a special teams addition which his 10 carries over the last 4 years attest to.

Taiwan Jones was on the Bills previously for two years under McDermott/Beane and was used pretty much exclusively as a special-teamer.  I wouldn't expect any sort of RB impact from him, he's an RB in name-only at this point.

Was looking good for him until the Moss pick.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Could’ve been a lot worse. He’s better than Moss.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zamboni said:

After the TB pick, I looked at the next nine and thought ****, Moss is going to Buffalo. True split I imagine.

1 minute ago, RushHour said:

Could’ve been a lot worse. He’s better than Moss.

Not so fast....

Just now, RushHour said:

He’s not?

Well played but I think Moss is one of those guys we look at like Hunt, Foster, and Rice- just a player who has that it factor as a NFL RB

1 minute ago, dmac37 said:

Well played but I think Moss is one of those guys we look at like Hunt, Foster, and Rice- just a player who has that it factor as a NFL RB

Cool. We can agree to disagree then. I see a pretty average NFL RB. Decent pick since they needed a RB but I see Singletary as the head of a committee. Maybe hit his value a bit but no one saw him as a true workhorse anyway. 

1 hour ago, RushHour said:

no one saw him as a true workhorse anyway. 

This was debated several different times in different threads... there are some regular posters who did, in fact, see him as a true workhorse 

9 hours ago, RushHour said:

Cool. We can agree to disagree then. I see a pretty average NFL RB. Decent pick since they needed a RB but I see Singletary as the head of a committee. Maybe hit his value a bit but no one saw him as a true workhorse anyway. 

Hope you are right, what round keeper is he still a good value do we think? I know nothing about Moss but he looks like a big boy who could see some GL carries. 

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Hope you are right, what round keeper is he still a good value do we think? I know nothing about Moss but he looks like a big boy who could see some GL carries. 

Between Moss and Allen inside the red zone, thinking the only way Singletary will have a lot of value is through lots of receptions. I think his value took a major hit.

I don't know anything about Zack Moss, and for transparency I do have Singletary as a potential keeper for 2020.

With that in mind, I do think that the fantasy community needs to adjust a bit how we react to the draft. Coming into the draft, the Bills had three running backs on their roster:  Singletary, TJ Yeldon and Christian Wade.  It would be much more extraordinary if the Bills didn't draft running back than the fact that they have drafted a running back.

Likewise, with the generally accepted strategy that it's not worth paying free agent running backs big contracts, most teams are going to be consistently adding RBs via the draft.

Finally, even as someone higher on Singletary than most (owner bias!), I don't think anyone thought that Singletary was going to be a prototypical workhorse back.

In summary, the addition of a running back, in general, doesn't have me panicking.  In fairness, I don't know enough about Moss to speak to him as a player.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Traded the 2.6, 2.7, 2.12, Fant for Singletary, 2021 3rd. Pretty happy about that. 

Moss does nothing to my Singletary 2020 projections.

Edited by Milkman

1 minute ago, Milkman said:

Traded the 2.6, 2.7, 2.12, Fant for Singletary, 2021 3rd. Pretty happy about that. 

Moss does nothing to my Singletary 2020 projections.

What are your projections?

1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:

What are your projections?

He's my RB7 going into this year in dynasty. 

He was never going to take 20 carries a game but don't let that fool you. He's the man in Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, Milkman said:

He was never going to take 20 carries a game but don't let that fool you. He's the man in Buffalo. 

What stats do you project in 2020?

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

What stats do you project in 2020?

1100-3 rushing

75-650-3 receiving 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Milkman said:

What makes you think he won’t share a good amount with Moss?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, zamboni said:

What makes you think he won’t share a good amount with Moss?

Moss is not in his league bro. Moss doesn't worry me at all. 5-7 carries a game for Moss and they'll feature Singletary. 

Edited by Milkman

14 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Moss is not in his league bro. Moss doesn't worry me at all. 5-7 carries a game for Moss and they'll feature Singletary. 

Hope you’re right, but even as a Singletary owner, I envision a pretty even RBBC.

8 minutes ago, Milkman said:

I dunno about that. They took a pretty good look at Melvin Gordon. Moss looked much better in 2018 and was a bit banged up in 2019. Excellent pass catcher. Elite contact balance and great size. Similar to Kareem Hunt but his burst/vision is not as good.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Hope you’re right, but even as a Singletary owner, I envision a pretty even RBBC.

I get it wrong sometimes but normally I get it right brother. I'm buying Singletary where I can after the draft. 

6 minutes ago, pbandy1 said:

I dunno about that. They took a pretty good look at Melvin Gordon. Moss looked much better in 2018 and was a bit banged up in 2019. Excellent pass catcher. Elite contact balance and great size. Similar to Kareem Hunt but his burst/vision is not as good.

No offense but I strongly disagree with your assessment of Moss and I loved what I saw in Singletary last year. Singletary is a big time buy for me right now. 

• Thanks 1

I liked what I saw out of Singletary last year down the stretch, but there were too many instances where he'd get it going and then they'd give it Frank Gore to plow for 2 yards.  Makes me think the Buffalo coaching staff is all about having a 2-headed monster rather than giving one guy the lion's share on a regular basis, and of course that could vary from week to week depending on who has the hot hand.  If Moss comes in and lights it up, all bets are off.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, barackdhouse said:

"Frank Gore will never stop." - me four years ago 

+1