Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Devin ‘Motor’ Singletary, Bills

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Evan Silva Retweeted

Jared Smola

@SmolaDS

·

36m

Worth noting that Frank Gore out-snapped Devin Singletary 9 to 1 with the 1st-team offense in the #Bills' 3rd preseason game.

So they kept their prized rookie from sustaining a meaningless preseason injury at a rough-and-tumble position, and his one touch was a TD. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

are you concerned at all about Allen stealing some of those redzone tds?

That's definitely a strong possibility. The hope would be that each offers up enough of a threat that they're both more successful overall and there are more TDs than FGs without both.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So they kept their prized rookie from sustaining a meaningless preseason injury at a rough-and-tumble position, and his one touch was a TD. 

That’s how I read it as well. In fact that was the speculation of more than one fantasy writer - that they were keeping singletary on bubble wrap, seeing if gore had anything left in the tank & “showcasing” McCoy to see if there was any trade interest (which there apparently wasn’t) 

IMO singletary will be the man sooner than later. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

That’s how I read it as well. In fact that was the speculation of more than one fantasy writer - that they were keeping singletary on bubble wrap, seeing if gore had anything left in the tank & “showcasing” McCoy to see if there was any trade interest (which there apparently wasn’t) 

IMO singletary will be the man sooner than later. 

Except for that one point in the week 2 game (I think) where they gave him like 7 touches in a row - unheard of. He was still producing on touch 6 and 7. I think that was probably the moment when they said, yeah, this will be our guy. That's what I was thinking, at least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grigs Allmoon said:

Except for that one point in the week 2 game (I think) where they gave him like 7 touches in a row - unheard of. He was still producing on touch 6 and 7. I think that was probably the moment when they said, yeah, this will be our guy. That's what I was thinking, at least.

Exactly. Between that & practice they saw all they needed to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PFF's fantasy take:

Fantasy football impact of LeSean McCoy's release from Buffalo

Quote

 

...The name here that fantasy players should pay the most attention to is Singletary, a rookie out of Florida Atlantic. He averaged 0.36 forced missed tackles per touch in college last year, the highest number we’ve tracked in the PFF era for any back not named David Montgomery(who topped that number in both 2017 and 2018), forcing a total of 96 tackles, fifth-most in the PFF era.

Considering the Bills’ other backs of note now are Gore, who is older than the game of football, and Yeldon, who was brought in primarily to be a receiving back, there is room for Singletary to have a big role right off the bat, with reports saying he’s likely to open as the starter now with McCoy gone. On the other hand, Gore isn’t likely to just vanish; he averaged more than 11 carries a game for the Dolphins just last year.

The end result is likely to be Singletary at the head of a frustrating-for-fantasy committee. ..

 

Go to the link for the full read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia believes Devin Singletary "won’t consistently be a featured back, at least not early in the season."

It's going to be a running back by committee to start the season with Singletary expected to be the biggest producer. Frank Gore figures to be sprinkled in on running downs, while T.J. Yeldon helps out on passing downs. The LeSean McCoy release made things less murky, but Singletary still has some work to do before locking in a 15-touch workload. Singletary belongs in the RB3 mix with some room to climb the rankings as the season progresses.

RELATED: 

T.J. Yeldon

, Frank Gore

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 1, 2019, 6:09 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Faust said:

 

 

Gore is there to be a leader and example for Singletary.  Gore will get some carries.  Yeldon will get some catches.  But Singletary is the RB that will lead this team in every RB category.  He’s going to have 1,000 yds or better.  And y’all have seen the tape.  Singletary can find the end zone.  He will lead the team in TD’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy fallout: Sorting out of the running back drama in Buffalo

Quote

 

Who knew that LeSean McCoy was about to become one of the most relevant running backs in fantasy football again this past weekend?

McCoy's own value might not change drastically with his move from Buffalo to Kansas City, but suddenly Bills rookie Devin Singletary has become one of fantasy’s hottest commodities...

...“There are probably better options to start in Week 1. But if you’re still drafting, I think Singletary by the end of the year could make you look like a genius for taking him in the middle rounds,” said Bills reporter Marcel Louis-Jacques, who said he thought the third-round draft pick from Florida Atlantic was looking like a flex-worthy player in PPR leagues even before McCoy was released. “He already had this gadget, James White type of third-down role carved out for himself. And now I imagine they’re going to be using him between the tackles a lot more.”

...Louis-Jacques stressed that ageless Bills veteran Frank Gore will still have a prominent role -- much like he did with the Miami Dolphins last year, when he ran for 722 yards at the age of 35. ESPN Dolphins reporter Cameron Wolfe wrote an insightful profile on what keeps Gore grinding, and Louis-Jacques said that by all accounts Gore looks great this summer. To start with, Louis-Jacques said he could see something close to a 50-50 split in which the Bills ride the hot hand.

But Louis-Jacques doesn’t think veteran backup T.J. Yeldon will be a big factor in Buffalo’s backfield. And he thinks that if anything happens to Gore or if Singletary develops rapidly, the 5-foot-7, 203-pound rookie could wind up getting a maximum of 70 percent of the workload.

“I think this guy could be special. I don’t know if it’s gonna be this year, necessarily. But [down the road], I think he could be the next great gadget PPR back,” said Louis-Jacques, who said he would probably draft Singletary after guys such as Duke Johnson Jr. and Austin Ekeler for this year only, but ahead of guys such as Tarik Cohen and Derrius Guice.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5'7"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how people are calling him a "gadget PPR" back. By most accounts, he seems to run much bigger than his size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes things get sliced & diced too much. 

Gore is Methuselah at 36 years young. C’mon - y’all think he’s getting 200 touches? 🤔 

Yeldon sucks. He’s sucked for years. Sucky players look to Yeldon for tips on how to be more sucky. Peyton Barber has an autographed T.J. Yeldon poster on his wall. He’s not going to suddenly not be a terrible NFL RB. I was shocked to learn he even had a job. 

So that leaves Singletary.

no need to overthink this one. One of these 3 players is capable of leading this backfield. 

By week 3 of the Bills don’t recognize who that is, they should fire the HC & force the owner to sell this franchise. 

That said, I’m pretty sure even they know all of this & the positive comments about Gore & Yeldon are coachspeak for “singletary is the man, we just don’t wanna hurt anyone’s fee fees”. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure that part of the dynamic is not to immediately give the keys to the castle to the rookie - make him earn his stripes. And there's probably no better role model than Gore to help him get there.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zamboni said:

I am sure that part of the dynamic is not to immediately give the keys to the castle to the rookie - make him earn his stripes. And there's probably no better role model than Gore to help him get there.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Gore is Methuselah at 36 years young.

Don't know if Frank is going to touches but I wouldn't discount him.

Next year he is gone because he wants to see his son play college ball.

Why the Bills' Frank Gore keeps grinding for another NFL season

Quote

 

...14 great seasons, but he yearns for at least one more. For now, he's ready to see what he can do with the new-look Buffalo Bills, his fourth team. He's using the retirement questions as motivation as he aims to see Frank Gore Jr. play college football next fall. More than anything, he wants to put an exclamation point on his career and walk off on his own terms.

..."I love when people tell me what I can't do. I was f---ing 35 years old last year averaging 4.6 yards per carry," he said. "In the offseason, I saw a list where they didn't rank me in the top 50 backs. I like that. You gotta find some way to motivate yourself."

...The next Gore

In a reflective moment, Gore admits he has to start to face the fact his pro career's end is very near. It has nothing to do with his game, though. He gets passionate when explaining he has to be there to watch Gore Jr. play football at Florida Atlantic next fall.

He has repeated that thought four times in a 30-minute span.

"He's got an opportunity to play college ball, [Division I]. I got to be there. My son going to college is a big milestone," Gore said. "I'm preparing for if it's my last year, even if I'm not thinking it is."

Gore Jr. is a running back just like his dad -- undersized, even more so than his pops -- yet he runs with purpose. He's set to play under coach Lane Kiffin and Smith at FAU -- in the same system that allowed Singletary and Howell to put up video game-type numbers.

 

Its Frank F'ng Gore.  

Don't discount what he can do this year.  I got Singletary and made sure to get Gore to lock up the Bills backfield but he is gone after this year so Singletary is an excellent dynasty back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Don't know if Frank is going to touches but I wouldn't discount him.

Next year he is gone because he wants to see his son play college ball.

Why the Bills' Frank Gore keeps grinding for another NFL season

Its Frank F'ng Gore.  

Don't discount what he can do this year.  I got Singletary and made sure to get Gore to lock up the Bills backfield but he is gone after this year so Singletary is an excellent dynasty back.

That's a great sub-plot that Gore's son is going to play ball at the same school as his new understudy.

And forgot that Lane Kiffin is running the show there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Don't know if Frank is going to touches but I wouldn't discount him.

Next year he is gone because he wants to see his son play college ball.

Why the Bills' Frank Gore keeps grinding for another NFL season

Its Frank F'ng Gore.  

Don't discount what he can do this year.  I got Singletary and made sure to get Gore to lock up the Bills backfield but he is gone after this year so Singletary is an excellent dynasty back.

Look, I’m one of the biggest Gore fans out there. I’ve got his jersey hanging in my closet - it’s the only NFL jersey I own.

that said, dude is 36, and while he may be capable of carrying the rock, it would be madness for the Bills to keep handing it to him instead of developing a talented rookie like Singletary. 

Because the future is also important even if this season is not. 

And those touches will be valuable for a rookie. 

I’m not sure why you avoided the “200 touches” part of my sentence though. Gore is not going to carry the load in Buffalo, and if he does, that franchise is 1000x dumber than anyone thinks. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Look, I’m one of the biggest Gore fans out there. I’ve got his jersey hanging in my closet - it’s the only NFL jersey I own.

that said, dude is 36, and while he may be capable of carrying the rock, it would be madness for the Bills to keep handing it to him instead of developing a talented rookie like Singletary. 

Because the future is also important even if this season is not. 

And those touches will be valuable for a rookie. 

I’m not sure why you avoided the “200 touches” part of my sentence though. Ford is not going to carry the load in Buffalo, and if he does, that franchise is 1000x dumber than anyone thinks. 

Not sure where you got 200 touches.

I have seen over 170 on projections but the point is he is going to be used and will play a significant role.

EDIT:  To make Singletary owners feel better, from the same article linked above from Frank Gore about Devin.

Quote

 

...his eyes lit up when discussing the talent of Singletary (who is nicknamed Motor) and what his potential can be.

"Motor got a chance to be special, man. Out of all the rookie backs, he has the best eyes from the jump," Gore said. "I like Motor. He's quick, thick, built low to the ground. Just watch, he's got a real chance."

 

 

Edited by Bracie Smathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Sometimes things get sliced & diced too much. 

Gore is Methuselah at 36 years young. C’mon - y’all think he’s getting 200 touches? 🤔 

Yeldon sucks. He’s sucked for years. Sucky players look to Yeldon for tips on how to be more sucky. Peyton Barber has an autographed T.J. Yeldon poster on his wall. He’s not going to suddenly not be a terrible NFL RB. I was shocked to learn he even had a job. 

So that leaves Singletary.

no need to overthink this one. One of these 3 players is capable of leading this backfield. 

By week 3 of the Bills don’t recognize who that is, they should fire the HC & force the owner to sell this franchise. 

That said, I’m pretty sure even they know all of this & the positive comments about Gore & Yeldon are coachspeak for “singletary is the man, we just don’t wanna hurt anyone’s fee fees”. 

I laughed

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Not sure where you got 200 touches.

From my post. The one you quoted & were replying to. 😳

5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I have seen over 170 on projections but the point is he is going to be used and will play a significant role.

That would be 120 touches too many. 

5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

EDIT:  To make Singletary owners feel better, from the same article linked above from Frank Gore about Devin.

It’s not about feeling better or worse. It’s about good football decisions vs bad ones 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It’s not about feeling better or worse. It’s about good football decisions vs bad ones 

Good football decision is to ride the hot-hand and that means Gore is in the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Good football decision is to ride the hot-hand and that means Gore is in the picture.

No, good football decision is to get a rookie RB experience because (theoretically) you want your team to improve for the future.

and Gore most decidedly is not the future in BUF. 

Bad football decision would be making Gore a feature back at the expense of a talented rookie. Not just because it starves the rookie of valuable experience, but because the Bills won’t know what they need in the 2020 draft unless they play singletary. 

And with their inevitable top 10 selection, that might be handy information.  

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’m not sure why you avoided the “200 touches” part of my sentence though.

Likely because it's a useless strawman statement with no basis. Nobody ever claimed he would get 200 touches. It's not even worth discussing when you pull it out of thin air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Likely because it's a useless strawman statement with no basis. Nobody ever claimed he would get 200 touches. It's not even worth discussing when you pull it out of thin air.

It wasn’t at all a “straw man statement with no basis”.

i specifically asked it as a question, “C’mon - y’all think he’s getting 200 touches?”

perhaps reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. :rolleyes: 

There was a point - those touches have to go to someone.

but speaking of “not worthy of discussion”, welcome to ignore user. 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Gore getting 200. I predict Singletary will get the lion's share of carries. It's not unreasonable to expect at least 8 or so carries from Gore per game, which equates to 128. However, the argument that the team shouldn't utilize Gore frequently because it would damper Singletary's learning curve I can't support. They aren't QBs. I don't see how sharing time with someone like Frank Gore could hinder Singletary's growth. And the team is of course interested in the future, but I believe the off-season showed that they also want to see some success now. Sooner or later the future has to be now. We've been saying "next year is our year" for far too long. They aren't going to go off and jeopardize their future to go all "win now" mode, but from my viewpoint I think they're trying to build a franchise that can be successful and sustain that success over time.

  • Thinking 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

I don't see Gore getting 200. I predict Singletary will get the lion's share of carries. It's not unreasonable to expect at least 8 or so carries from Gore per game, which equates to 128. However, the argument that the team shouldn't utilize Gore frequently because it would damper Singletary's learning curve I can't support. They aren't QBs. I don't see how sharing time with someone like Frank Gore could hinder Singletary's growth.

Anything that cuts into Singletary’s experience can hinder his growth. 

Players often develop from year 1 to year 2. The game slows down. They get better at pass protection. They learn how to better read a defense. 

Gore should be used a bit, sure. 8 carries isn’t a ton, and I could see that working. 

The only issue is that the Bills aren’t a great offense that’s going to sustain drives & dominate time, so if there are only 15 carries a game, I think 8 would be on the high side. 

I usually consider it in terms of %. If it’s 50-50 Gore/Singletary, then I could argue that Singletary should be used more, especially if overall touches are low.

IMO the goals for the Bills this year should be to 

1. Determine if Singletary is the future

and, repeated

2. Get him as much experience as possible so that if next year or the year after can be the “win now” year, he’s one less piece to worry about in terms of learning curve / ability.

RBs (not named Gore) have a relatively short shelf life.  Would be a shame to waste his toiling behind Gore.

and I love me some Frank Gore, as mentioned. I just can’t imagine why he’d get equal play in a time-share at this stage of his career. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

:blackdot:

I am in.

I have info from an insider that Singletary might be the best RB in the league. 

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was eyeing him up and he ended up going in the middle of the 5th. Initially I thought that was too early but the more I think about it that’s right in line. I didn’t have a pick in the 5th and I picked early 4th so I had no shot. Shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

lIMO the goals for the Bills this year should be to 

1. Determine if Singletary is the future

and, repeated

2. Get him as much experience as possible so that if next year or the year after can be the “win now” year, he’s one less piece to worry about in terms of learning curve / ability.

RBs (not named Gore) have a relatively short shelf life.  Would be a shame to waste his toiling behind Gore.

and I love me some Frank Gore, as mentioned. I just can’t imagine why he’d get equal play in a time-share at this stage of his career. 

So their top-two goals for the year is RB Devin Singletary?

They should not put in the veteran and extremely consistent RB Frank Gore who is excellent in pass protection and who knows game situations, etc and would be a valuable asset to their 2nd year QB who is still learning but instead focus in on a rookie RB.

We'll disagree strongly on what the top-two goals of the Bills should be because I would put Josh Allen at, one, two, and three and I would not consider this season a throw-away and assume a top-ten pick next year.  I would shoot for the playoffs and make sure my rookie QB got all the help possible.

I'd definitely pencil in Singletary later in the year but Nick Chubb didn't start till later in the year because he needed to develop in the passing game.

Most rookie RBs aren't used in pass-pro because the hardest learning curve is recognizing and picking-up the blitz.

8 carries and less than 3 receptions per game equates to over 170 touches on the year which is exactly what I've been hearing for Gore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

So their top-two goals for the year is RB Devin Singletary?

They should not put in the veteran and extremely consistent RB Frank Gore who is excellent in pass protection and who knows game situations, etc and would be a valuable asset to their 2nd year QB who is still learning but instead focus in on a rookie RB.

We'll disagree strongly on what the top-two goals of the Bills should be because I would put Josh Allen at, one, two, and three and I would not consider this season a throw-away and assume a top-ten pick next year.  I would shoot for the playoffs and make sure my rookie QB got all the help possible.

I'd definitely pencil in Singletary later in the year but Nick Chubb didn't start till later in the year because he needed to develop in the passing game.

Most rookie RBs aren't used in pass-pro because the hardest learning curve is recognizing and picking-up the blitz.

8 carries and less than 3 receptions per game equates to over 170 touches on the year which is exactly what I've been hearing for Gore.

The goals for Singletary are Singletary, yes.

That seemed obvious since it’s the Devin Singletary topic and we’re talking about Devon Singletary. You know, context & all that. 

:doh: 

i never said the only goals the Bills had for the year were Singletary. 

Why you’d read into that then type 500 words arguing your straw man is a mystery.  

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember last year when Miami signing Gore was good for Drake? No-one thought he would be the main ball carrier, but there he was. Hopefully he finally runs out of gas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Anything that cuts into Singletary’s experience can hinder his growth. 

Players often develop from year 1 to year 2. The game slows down. They get better at pass protection. They learn how to better read a defense. 

Gore should be used a bit, sure. 8 carries isn’t a ton, and I could see that working. 

The only issue is that the Bills aren’t a great offense that’s going to sustain drives & dominate time, so if there are only 15 carries a game, I think 8 would be on the high side. 

I usually consider it in terms of %. If it’s 50-50 Gore/Singletary, then I could argue that Singletary should be used more, especially if overall touches are low.

IMO the goals for the Bills this year should be to 

1. Determine if Singletary is the future

and, repeated

2. Get him as much experience as possible so that if next year or the year after can be the “win now” year, he’s one less piece to worry about in terms of learning curve / ability.

RBs (not named Gore) have a relatively short shelf life.  Would be a shame to waste his toiling behind Gore.

and I love me some Frank Gore, as mentioned. I just can’t imagine why he’d get equal play in a time-share at this stage of his career. 

 

 

Evaluating Singletary is something they should do, but that shouldn't be at the top of the list. Developing Josh Allen should be. And if that means leaning on Frank Gore for his years of knowledge and trust him as a leader, and someone that can help Josh during the game, I would imagine that would have a lot of weight on who plays.

I'm not hell bent on one guy starting over the other and not trying to fit my narrative. I think it's a timeshare, whether that is 50/50 or 60/40

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

Evaluating Singletary is something they should do, but that shouldn't be at the top of the list. Developing Josh Allen should be. And if that means leaning on Frank Gore for his years of knowledge and trust him as a leader, and someone that can help Josh during the game, I would imagine that would have a lot of weight on who plays.

I'm not hell bent on one guy starting over the other and not trying to fit my narrative. I think it's a timeshare, whether that is 50/50 or 60/40

Probably correct.

i think there’s also some “is Josh Allen the guy” in their thought process this year. 

Barkley looked pretty solid this preseason...wonder what the chances of a change there are. 🤔 

but I digress...

Back to singletary, i say let the kid play & see what’s what. If he can’t pass protect, there’s your answer for the 2020 draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the state of the AFC, the Bills should have aspirations of a Wild Card spot. And if that's the case, they would be foolish to run Singletary into the ground only to see him hit the rookie wall at the end of the season and have dead legs down the stretch. 

Daboll is from the BB coaching tree and is a smart dude. He has said that gameplans are going to change from game to game and even within games. I expect to see all the Buffalo RBs get work depending on opponent, situation, etc. Yeldon is going to see a decent amount of 3rd down work and work against teams with LBers that can't cover. Gore is going to get to pound the rock against teams with a weak front 7. Singletary is going to get both. 

All in all, Singletary will end up with the most touches, but the Bills are going to do whatever gives them the most success this year. And that likely means a bit of a RBBC.

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its interesting to think about how random things like this are.  Singletary will get the chance to demonstrate he can handle 15-20 carries per game...and produce...and not fumble...and pass protect.  And he has the skill set to succeed, but so much can turn on a fumble or a failed blitz pickup.  If I had to guess it'll end up 65/35 to 75/25 in favor of Singletary, but then you have the final wildcard...the rookie wall.  

I'd probably be ok with it (having both / not having McCoy) as a fan, but its a little sketchy as a fantasy investor.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

With the state of the AFC, the Bills should have aspirations of a Wild Card spot.

Patriots look really solid.

chiefs are terrifying.

ravens look pretty strong. 

Steelers always tough

 browns much improved

jets have a strong defense & work-in-progress offense

jags arguably got better / healthier

Texans, for all the criticism, likely improved with OL help, an upgrade at RB & Stills

Chargers are still tough

Evwn Denver could be tough if Flacco has anything left. 

Bills were 6-10 last year. I’m not sure the state of the AFC has them as a wildcard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Patriots look really solid.

chiefs are terrifying.

ravens look pretty strong. 

Steelers always tough

 browns much improved

jets have a strong defense & work-in-progress offense

jags arguably got better / healthier

Texans, for all the criticism, likely improved with OL help, an upgrade at RB & Stills

Chargers are still tough

Evwn Denver could be tough if Flacco has anything left. 

Bills were 6-10 last year. I’m not sure the state of the AFC has them as a wildcard. 

I don’t think you read the words he wrote very well. 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Peterson said:

I don’t think you read the words he wrote very well. 

He said “with the state of the AFC, the Bills should have aspirations of a wild card spot.”

what did I miss? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

He said “with the state of the AFC, the Bills should have aspirations of a wild card spot.”

what did I miss? 

 

“The Bills should have aspirations”.  Are you saying they don’t have aspirations to make the playoffs? 

I know I’m nitpicking here, but I believe this front office and the team believes they are hopefully making the playoffs. 

And are you putting the Jets, Jags and Broncos ahead of the Bills or just being silly?   :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Peterson said:

“The Bills should have aspirations”.  Are you saying they don’t have aspirations to make the playoffs? 

I know I’m nitpicking here, but I believe this front office and the team believes they are hopefully making the playoffs. 

You’re not nitpicking, you’re using semantics to split hairs. 

I quoted what he said. Saying a team has aspirations of being a WC so they should do X is the same as saying “if they’re a wildcard team they should do X.”

Just now, Mr. Peterson said:

And are you putting the Jets, Jags and Broncos ahead of the Bills or just being silly?   :) 

For a wildcard spot? The Jags & Broncos, probably yes.

The Jets play excellent defense so it’s not about whether the Jets make it, it’s about whether they can beat the Bills, making a WC berth for buffalo even harder since. Again, Buffalo was 6-10 - I don’t see a 4-game swing in their W/L record. Maybe 9 wins gets them there. I’m still not seeing it. Hats off to them if they can do it. 

There will likely be more teams involved in the actual WC chase. I made a list. It’s right up there 👆🏼

Related to the topic, that subtle nuance actually changes the discussion fundamentally. If they’re indeed in “win now” mode, by all means - run Gore into the pile 15x a game & gingerly work Singletary along.

but if this isn’t their year, and they’re rebuilding (which i assumed they were) then they should play/feature Singletary to see what they have.

Didn't think this was a particularly controversial position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey does the Buffalo OL look much better this year? All this talk of what McCoy had to deal with I wonder what Singletary will have to face. Seems he will need Allen to progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buffalo doesn't really "rebuild" from what I've observed of them.  They always seem to have the opinion internally that they are better than they really are.  Correct me if I'm wrong please, Bills fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFC Overview

Patriots, Chiefs win their divisions

AFC North is a three way tossup, let's say Steelers

AFC South is a three way tossup, lets say Texans

So we have Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Jets, Bills, Browns, Ravens, Jags, Colts fighting for two wildcards

Pundits would say Chargers and Browns (or more precisely Browns winning AFC North and Steelers getting wild card).

The opportunity for the Bills is to leverage the disarray of the Dolphins, the secondary of the Jets, and the chaos of AFC North and South to sneak into the playoffs.

I'm far less optimistic about the Browns and Jags than most....so an 8-8 or 9-7 Bills finish and a wild card spot is not at all crazy imo.

From there, you beat the Steelers / Browns in the wild card game, then the Chiefs (where Andy always loses), then you cripple Brady in the AFC Championship and Brees in the Superbowl and there you have it.

:championship:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

AFC Overview

Patriots, Chiefs win their divisions

AFC North is a three way tossup, let's say Steelers

AFC South is a three way tossup, lets say Texans

So we have Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Jets, Bills, Browns, Ravens, Jags, Colts fighting for two wildcards

Pundits would say Chargers and Browns (or more precisely Browns winning AFC North and Steelers getting wild card).

The opportunity for the Bills is to leverage the disarray of the Dolphins, the secondary of the Jets, and the chaos of AFC North and South to sneak into the playoffs.

I'm far less optimistic about the Browns and Jags than most....so an 8-8 or 9-7 Bills finish and a wild card spot is not at all crazy imo.

From there, you beat the Steelers / Browns in the wild card game, then the Chiefs (where Andy always loses), then you cripple Brady in the AFC Championship and Brees in the Superbowl and there you have it.

:championship:

 

Being dead serious, the Bills defense alone could be legitimate enough to carry them into the playoffs one way or another. For them to have a shot though, they will have to start the season 3-0 and beat those bottom feeder teams so yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.