What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Big 4 Sports Movie? (1 Viewer)

Best Hockey Movie

• Goon (2011)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • The Mighty Ducks (1992)

Votes: 22 10.7%
  • Miracle (2004)

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • Mystery Alaska (1999)

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • The Rocket (2005)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slap Shot (1977)

Votes: 117 57.1%
  • Youngblood (1986)

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Hov34

Eephus's Great Great Great Love Child
If I left something off they you just have to vote for, write it in.  And I'm sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its not going to win, but my favirote all time sports movie is The Rookie.  After my first son was born, the first date night my wife and I afterward was to go see it.  I'm not sure how old my son was, but I spent every night at home with him until we did that.  After several months, we finally went out and saw a movie, which while in the setting of baseball is more about relationships between fathers and sons (at least in my mind) so it really hit me hard.  Throw on top that it is one of the most accurate "based on a true story" sports movies out there (true stories are always better than fiction in my mind) and you have the best in my book. 

Remember the Titans

Field of Dreams

Hoop Dreams

I voted Mighty 🦆 but hockey IMO has the least impressive field as well as me just not seeing many hockey films.

Brian's Song, Major League, Hoosiers and Slap Shot.

/thread
Subplot of Major League blows, and while it doesn't ruin the movie, it takes it out of the conversation when it comes to best of. 

Eight Men Out / Hoosiers / Longest Yard (orig) / Slapshot 

A League of Their Own getting shutout is the equivalent of Lou Whitaker getting knocked off the Hall of Fame ballot in year 1. Just a travesty. 

Went Remember the Titans...but was close on Varsity Blues (mostly from the depiction of how High School football players are treated and how huge that can be to some).

Baseball was hard...ended up with 8 Men Out...just from the perspective of the movie bit Field of Dreams is right there as well (and guilty pleasure of Major League being one I can quote from start to finish and the bonus of having much of it filmed in Milwaukee).

Basketball for me was a no brainer.  Hoosiers.

Hockey Slap Shot

Funny is that despite clearly being a minor sport these days, boxing seems to make the best movies. 
Haven't seen the recent Creed movies, but the over the top action in the Rocky movies (even the first one) takes away from the suspension of disbelief for me.  While the sports action doesn't have to be the highlight to make a good sports movie, it can't detract from the rest of the movie.

Haven't seen the recent Creed movies, but the over the top action in the Rocky movies (even the first one) takes away from the suspension of disbelief for me.  While the sports action doesn't have to be the highlight to make a good sports movie, it can't detract from the rest of the movie.
That’s a problem in all sports movies. But besides Rocky there is Raging Bull, Million Dollar Baby, The Fighter, The Setup, etc.

It’s amazing how many more great baseball movies there are than the other sports. 

Also Tin Cup, greatest golf movie. 

Field of Dreams, Major League, the Sandlot, and Bull Durham are like top 50 movies for me. Field of Dreams is top 5, though. 
There's a lot of good baseball movies, but there's only one that I'll stop when scrolling through what's on and watch from whatever point that is until the end.  Quotability is seemingly endless and timeless as well.

I will not vote since "This Fish that Saved Pittsburgh" is not listed

Good topic: really need to think.  As I could change my mind each time I vote

I voted Remember the Titans for football, but a glaring omission that should be in the conversation is Friday Night Lights

I saw the game when it happened and never cared to see Miracle.  I'm not sure why, just never had an interest in a fictionalized re-telling of the story.
It's actually not very fictionalized...at least not for a Disney movie.  And it's pretty damn good.

You want fictionalized beyond recognition?  That's "Remember the Titans".

Brian's Song.....my mom sat me down to watch this

RTT.....I watch every time it's on

I am not a huge baseball fan but choices were insane.

Bull Durham. .....one of the first thing I did when I moved to Raleigh was go to Mitch's tavern 

But sucker for FOD, LOTG.  Plus BNB I grew up on.

Same with Hoosier, played basketball all my life, grew up with it.

Love WMCJ.

Miracle......I want to be skating when the lights are off and still push. NEXT!

Youngblood....so classic.  But I can watch Mystery on a loop.

Went with 

Brian's Song 

Bull Durham - probably the greatest sports movie ever made

Hoosiers - a close second

Youngblood, even though I panned it the other day

eta* This was a great pole, and took a lot of work, it seems. Good posting, GB.  

This is tough. I really like a lot of these and some are among my all time favorite movies.

Users who are viewing this thread