What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grey Hair Guys (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Maybe it's a midlife crisis but I no longer like my gray hair.  It's gone from having a little bit on the edges to full-on.... everywhere.  And I have a beard, and it too is completely grayed out.  My beard is what I (and I would assume others) notice most, so I'm more inclined to go for the comb-in thingy.  

Does anyone use something like this?  

How about the comb-in thing for your facial hair?

Or should I just embrace the gray?  I'd rather not.

Also, what do I say to people about the "new look" once the gray has been eradicated?  Schtick highly encouraged here.

Also, how long is your hair?  I typically shave my head a couple times a month so it lessens the grey/silver look.

imo, there isn't a whole lot worse look for older men than some of the terrible, terrible dye jobs i've seen. if you're going to get it dyed, go to a professional and do it subtly over time. don't go full on jet black paint job right out of the gate.

imo, there isn't a whole lot worse look for older men than some of the terrible, terrible dye jobs i've seen. if you're going to get it dyed, go to a professional and do it subtly over time. don't go full on jet black paint job right out of the gate.
It just highlights how old their face looks.

Maybe it's a midlife crisis but I no longer like my gray hair.  It's gone from having a little bit on the edges to full-on.... everywhere.  And I have a beard, and it too is completely grayed out.  My beard is what I (and I would assume others) notice most, so I'm more inclined to go for the comb-in thingy.  

Does anyone use something like this?  

How about the comb-in thing for your facial hair?

Or should I just embrace the gray?  I'd rather not.

Also, what do I say to people about the "new look" once the gray has been eradicated?  Schtick highly encouraged here.
I've used the first one, DOES NOT LOOK NATURAL

Grey is the way

I've been going grey since I was in my eary 20's. heck, my first grey was when i was 11. keep it natural.
Same. Have had greys in my hair since early high school, and patches of the beard started going grey the last few years. I just embrace it but don't really grow it out anyways. 

I recently started painting the side of my head. I had some greys coming in and I'm fine but for about 2 years i had a grey patch area. Think Rasheed Walllace. I've had several people think i brushed up  against wet paint. 

i used to go to a barber here in Chicago. it was a family joint with the old man and his two "boys" cutting hair. the boys were in their 30's. they even had a cousin there for a time cutting. i called the dad Maestro because he did amazing cuts. he had been a barber for like 50 years and you could blindfold him and he'd remember the shape of your head well enough to give your preferred cut. usually he sat in the empty chair at the end of the line, read the paper, and chat with the customers. 

one day, i'm waiting for a cut and Maestro decides he wants to do some work. i'm up next and the Maestro goes to work. he's cutting my hair and we're chatting. he's gray on the sides and temples but super dark on top like his boys. i ask him when he started to turn gray and he's tells me like 3-4 years ago. some guys have good genes and better luck.

meh, sounds like i should just embrace it 

i keep my hair pretty short, which alleviates some of the gray look on top, but my beard is full on silver fox style. 

i really do like the beard though, i think i look a LOT better with it.  double-edged sword thing going on here.... oof.

thanks for replies!

Eat well, exercise, own the grey. Don’t be afraid to spend some money on a good haircut if you still have lots of hair.

I use control gx about once a week or so. It colors some of them so it’s not quite as much. Use it more often if you want more non-gray hair. 

Better gray than nay.
I've been fine with nay for twenty years. Don't care. 

As someone who is partly gray, I say embrace it. 

If you're worried about looking older, the beard is a big part of it. People say I look 10 years younger without a (gray) beard. I think they're right.

Keep your body in shape. Embrace the gray. 
I'll keep my beard, mostly because my daughter and wife didn't like it when I shaved it back in August. 

But yeah, stay / get the body in shape. That makes a world of difference.

Tell This guy the beard and gray makes him old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use control gx about once a week or so. It colors some of them so it’s not quite as much. Use it more often if you want more non-gray hair. 
@NREC34 do you know if it'd be advisable to use it on facial hair too?  i'm not going to de-gray the hair on top and leave the gray beard.... it's either both or neither!

leaning towards just embracing it and losing 20 pounds to feel better  :oldunsure:

Don't listen to these old men, fight as long as you can.  I started coloring it (brushlights actually) professionally starting when I was about 45 so I got to it before it went even mostly grey.

In almost all cases grey hair is no bueno.  The beard is salt and pepper but if you keep that nice and trim it fits well with a mostly dark head of hair.

Also, be thankful you actually have hair.  That alone puts you in the upper 10% of dudes in late middle age.

Fight aging with all you've got!

Last edited by a moderator:
@NREC34 do you know if it'd be advisable to use it on facial hair too?  i'm not going to de-gray the hair on top and leave the gray beard.... it's either both or neither!

leaning towards just embracing it and losing 20 pounds to feel better  :oldunsure:
Hair is hair, man. I guess it would. I would think it’d be less effective if your beard is really short stubble. They make stuff you mix and brush in for beard too. I tried it when I tried to grow a beard a little over a year ago. It will color all though not just some. 

My buddy uses Just for men and he only does it about every other month so a little gray is mixed in says he goes a shade lighter than normal.  The guy is divorced and dates younger woman plus he is in sales and wants to keep a little edge with the young guys..but he looks natural.

Have another guy in my golf league who is 55...looks like he uses Rust Oleum Jet black spray or Kiwi black boot polish on his beard. 

there isn't a whole lot worse look for older men than some of the terrible, terrible dye jobs. if you're going to get it dyed, go to a professional
This needs amending. You need to go to a professional that you know and trust. Like, someone you've known for more than a couple years. A younger woman with experience would be ideal. Some chick that you know uses Instagram and all that social media Kim Kardashian latest makeup trend crap. Develop and cultivate a long-term relationship with that person because you're going to need it if you decide to make this decision. That is not meant to be funny or joking, either. But first I need to know all the details of your current hair care regimen.

I got my first gray hair in my teens.  Began going gray in late 20s.  I keep my hair super short and will use beard or whatever just for men on all of it.  I'm now 38 and both sides are full on gray and about 1/4 of the top.  Not ready to let it set in as I look 5-10 years younger with the help.

Lose the beard. You’re not a millennial.  Keep hair cut short. Keep gray. 
 Funny you think that way. I believe the current trend has been going strong since 2012 or 2013. Not coincidentally, about the same time that duck dynasty began on TV. 

Fight aging with all you've got!
Honest question - why? 

Stay healthy for sure, but dying hair, toupees, etc?  #### that stuff. 

I get it if you're dating or in show biz, or just look bad. but if you're a decent looking guy with grey, or shave your head, what's the real issue?

But then, I'm the youngest person in my office other than our secretary so maybe my frame of reference is off.

Super jealous.   I'm a young looking 43, which hurts me massively at work in an industry with lots of old white guys who think that being 60+ is a huge advantage.   I've been growing out my rapidly graying beard in an attempt to add perceived maturity/experience.   Would love it if my hair went gray overnight.

Super jealous.   I'm a young looking 43, which hurts me massively at work in an industry with lots of old white guys who think that being 60+ is a huge advantage.   I've been growing out my rapidly graying beard in an attempt to add perceived maturity/experience.   Would love it if my hair went gray overnight.
Touch of grey

Users who are viewing this thread