Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Captain Cranks

Stuff happening lately that reminds you you're getting older

On 1/14/2020 at 3:55 PM, brun said:

Eyes going. Ears going. Memory going.

#1 though. Kids with half their ### hanging out of their pants. Can't stand it.

I thought it was stupid when I was 20.  I don't think that's an age thing.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Vodka for me gives the least.

Some dark liquors and some beer (Bud) give me an awful hangover.  Also want to stay away from high sugar drinks.

Yup.  Vodka and soda with a lime for me.  It's like I'm rehydrating while I'm drinking.  Rarely do I feel it the next day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Captain Cranks said:

Yup.  Vodka and soda with a lime for me.  It's like I'm rehydrating while I'm drinking.  Rarely do I feel it the next day. 

Vodka and diet soda became my go-to in 2019 as well...

there's a pond across the street from my house. it's not very big or deep. it's iced over with a layer of snow.

on top of the snow there's a brand new shovel and pair of ice skates. 20 years ago i'd just stroll out there and grab em.  

today i contemplated all the possible ways walking out on the ice could end poorly for me and opted to leave them there for someone else to pick up.

• Like 1

Recently, As I was getting reminded by everyone that I walk with a limp, i decided to see my doctor about it. I had also noticed some lack of flexibility in my hip so thought maybe they were related issues. My doctor suggests an xray and the results show moderately  to severe arthritis in my right hip. He's pretty surprised that I would have this so young (54) but seems I do. Lucky me. Physio should help but there's no cure so in maybe 5 years I'll need a new hip.

Yay.

:wall:

1 minute ago, falguy said:

Recently, As I was getting reminded by everyone that I walk with a limp, i decided to see my doctor about it. I had also noticed some lack of flexibility in my hip so thought maybe they were related issues. My doctor suggests an xray and the results show moderately  to severe arthritis in my right hip. He's pretty surprised that I would have this so young (54) but seems I do. Lucky me. Physio should help but there's no cure so in maybe 5 years I'll need a new hip.

Yay.

:wall:

I've had so many doctors say this to me and I've heard other friends say the same thing.  Maybe doctors should just shut the hell up. :angry:

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, nirad3 said:

I dunno if this is due to aging or what, but I'm not sure I can let loose and drink a lot of booze anymore.  Went out to watch the UFC fight on Saturday night, had several beers and 3 shots.  

Had a terrible night's sleep and was totally incapacitated yesterday.  Hell, I still feel terrible.  

:sadbanana: 

Same here

Once I get a decent buzz going I’m done drinking . It’s not worth feeling like total garbage for 36-48 hours after

☹️

I drink ice coffee pretty much year-round, mobile order a medium (1c/1s) from the Dunkin up the street every morning. After picking it up I've always nestled it into a large styrofoam Dunks hot cup to prevent ice-melting for as long as possible. It might be a Mass-hole thing - not environmentally-friendly whatsoever. I'd only get a fresh one every couple of weeks though, always kept a small stack in my kitchen and only threw them out once they cracked. Well Dunkin stopped using Styrofoam cups a month or so ago, and my home supply was down to three. They were starting to wear and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I was somewhat panicked. Or maybe sad more than panicked but it was on my mind a lot. So I did something I'm pretty sure only an old man would do. I bought a roll of white duct tape and wrapped the ####ers up to preserve them. They should last forever. I now have one in my car, one on my desk at work and one in my kitchen. And I plan to ask area stores if they have any lying around - I want to make a crap load of them for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3

Sheesh.  Shot around with my son when I picked him up at the gym for about 20mins.  Went for a basketball, slipped, fell on my ### and slid into a metal bench.  My shoulders are screaming too.  I feel about 20 years older than I am right now - so sore.  

Oh, have I mentioned I evidently can't enjoy Star Wars anymore either.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

I drink ice coffee pretty much year-round, mobile order a medium (1c/1s) from the Dunkin up the street every morning. After picking it up I've always nestled it into a large styrofoam Dunks hot cup to prevent ice-melting for as long as possible. It might be a Mass-hole thing - not environmentally-friendly whatsoever. I'd only get a fresh one every couple of weeks though, always kept a small stack in my kitchen and only threw them out once they cracked. Well Dunkin stopped using Styrofoam cups a month or so ago, and my home supply was down to three. They were starting to wear and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I was somewhat panicked. Or maybe sad more than panicked but it was on my mind a lot. So I did something I'm pretty sure only an old man would do. I bought a roll of white duct tape and wrapped the ####ers up to preserve them. They should last forever. I now have one in my car, one on my desk at work and one in my kitchen. And I plan to ask area stores if they have any lying around - I want to make a crap load of them for some reason.

Why don't you just pour it into a Yeti or some knockoff version?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Sheesh.  Shot around with my son when I picked him up at the gym for about 20mins.  Went for a basketball, slipped, fell on my ### and slid into a metal bench.  My shoulders are screaming too.  I feel about 20 years older than I am right now - so sore.  

Oh, have I mentioned I evidently can't enjoy Star Wars anymore either.  ;)

Update:  

I am not sure I can get out of this computer chair without crying.  :lol:  

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, shuke said:

Why don't you just pour it into a Yeti or some knockoff version?

sounds like a lot of work

• Laughing 1

I'm 48.  Saw this mentioned a few times, but until about 6 months ago, I'd never had heartburn.  I've now had it 3-4 times over the past few months, and I think I had acid reflux last night for the first time.  Woke up in the middle of the night with a throw-up taste in my mouth.  Went and washed my mouth out, but still got the taste in my mouth again every time I swallowed.  Took some Tums and luckily it was gone by morning.  I ate plenty of wings and buffalo chicken dip during the SB last night, so I suspect those were the culprit.

Serious question - Anything else I should be taking for heartburn and/or acid reflux besides Tums?  Guessing I could take it preemptively if I eat greasy or spicy foods later in the evening?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:

I'm 48.  Saw this mentioned a few times, but until about 6 months ago, I'd never had heartburn.  I've now had it 3-4 times over the past few months, and I think I had acid reflux last night for the first time.  Woke up in the middle of the night with a throw-up taste in my mouth.  Went and washed my mouth out, but still got the taste in my mouth again every time I swallowed.  Took some Tums and luckily it was gone by morning.  I ate plenty of wings and buffalo chicken dip during the SB last night, so I suspect those were the culprit.

Serious question - Anything else I should be taking for heartburn and/or acid reflux besides Tums?  Guessing I could take it preemptively if I eat greasy or spicy foods later in the evening?

Prilosec 

Costco brand much cheaper. Take one pill each morning for 14 days and then you're good for a few months. 

Edited by Payne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Payne said:

Prilosec 

Costco brand much cheaper. Take one pill each morning for 14 days and then you're good for a few months. 

Yup.  I have to take one every 3 or 4 days.  Not sure how I'd live without it.  

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yup.  I have to take one every 3 or 4 days.  Not sure how I'd live without it.  

Maybe the Prilosec is taking your heartburn and moving it to the rest of your body with your burning sensation issue when your back touches anything.

I like the joke about telling if you're old by when you fall down. If people laugh, you're not old yet. If people rush to help you...you're old.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, Nigel said:

Love the fact that you chose white duct tape, presumably to not draw attention to the fact you duct taped a styrofoam cup.

:lol:

• Like 3

On 1/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, Nigel said:

This insane!

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Love the fact that you chose white duct tape, presumably to not draw attention to the fact you duct taped a styrofoam cup.

:lol:

Of course I have a roll or two of standard silver at home, made special trip to buy white for this purpose. 

• Laughing 2

On 1/29/2020 at 8:12 AM, Nigel said:

sounds like a lot of work

More work than duct taping a bunch of styrofoam cups? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Of course I have a roll or two of standard silver at home, made special trip to buy white for this purpose. 

Awesome.

I gotta say - I've come to appreciate the styrofoam cup. I make a daily visit to the Quick Trip here in KC for a coke every morning, and I used to use the plastic cups and just re-use them for months and months. Refill price.

Switched to styrofoam a few months ago because they hold the ice all day long, so I can refill with water at work and still have ice at the end of the day. So I re-use the cups over and over until they are literally falling apart in my hands. 

Might need to try your duct tape tip. Except I'm going full W.T. on mine. Grey tape all the way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlayaHata said:

or maybe change your diet?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Love duct tape, if only because it rips clean so nice. No need to find a pair of scissors.

18 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

That’s crazy talk. In America, we take pills when we get sick.

Is it 1980? It's surgery now bro. Suck it out. Wrap it up. Staple it. Whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Is it 1980? It's surgery now bro. Suck it out. Wrap it up. Staple it. Whatever.

Good point. Surgery + pills is probably more accurate.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, mr. furley said:

there's a pond across the street from my house. it's not very big or deep. it's iced over with a layer of snow.

on top of the snow there's a brand new shovel and pair of ice skates. 20 years ago i'd just stroll out there and grab em.  

today i contemplated all the possible ways walking out on the ice could end poorly for me and opted to leave them there for someone else to pick up.

You should have suggested your wife go out there.

• Laughing 1

I get these really good pickles at the grocery store, Bubbies. They have this old-timey aesthetic, with the vintage black-and-white photo, antique font, and all that. Really celebrating the fact that they're old school, traditional, antique classic good food. That was founded in 1989. Christ I'm almost 15 years older than them and they're acting like it's from the days before electricity.

• Like 1

Went to the orthopedist. Person doing my intake says my surgery in '94 was "before she was born."

She was purring at me, too.

Ouch. Oof. Bring it.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

That we might have a Presidential nominee who is younger than me.

• Like 2

Video games. Loved them for years. My weekend stress relief (I don't turn it on during the week). Lately, not so much. I was never a great gamer mind you. I play absolutely zero online. But single player was always fun for me until lately. Loss of hand eye coordination, lack of reaction time, lack of attention, I dunno. But even games I have played multiple times are kicking my rear. Rather than relieving stress, it just seems to be adding to it nowadays. My PS4 and four unopened games from Christmas are quite likely heading to the grandkids. So my last hobby looks like it is falling by the wayside. Guess I'll start popping the garage open, putting out a chair and yelling at neighborhhood kicks to relieve my stress.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Video games. Loved them for years. My weekend stress relief (I don't turn it on during the week). Lately, not so much. I was never a great gamer mind you. I play absolutely zero online. But single player was always fun for me until lately. Loss of hand eye coordination, lack of reaction time, lack of attention, I dunno. But even games I have played multiple times are kicking my rear. Rather than relieving stress, it just seems to be adding to it nowadays. My PS4 and four unopened games from Christmas are quite likely heading to the grandkids. So my last hobby looks like it is falling by the wayside. Guess I'll start popping the garage open, putting out a chair and yelling at neighborhhood kicks to relieve my stress.

How old are ya? You sound like me when it comes to gaming, but I still enjoy it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

How old are ya? You sound like me when it comes to gaming, but I still enjoy it. 

Higher side of the mid fifties.

4 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

My twins turned 31 today.  

Are you male or female? Trying to figure out if this is a euphemism or not.

• Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Get an Oculus quest.  Much more fun than PS.  

2 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Get an Oculus quest.  Much more fun than PS.  

I'd be better served by a time machine. Or a Benjamin Button serum.

Anyone’s eyes start to go at 40? Always had great vision, now have to try harder to focus on TV and night driving. 👴🏼 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/3/2020 at 1:38 PM, PlayaHata said:

If it continues you might want to get checked for gall stones. Sounds similar to the symptoms my wife just went through. 

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Anyone’s eyes start to go at 40? Always had great vision, now have to try harder to focus on TV and night driving. 👴🏼 

Late 40’s here, and I’m starting to have the same problems. Guess it’s time to see an eye doctor, and be grateful to have gone so long without corrective eyewear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Yes. Get used to buying reading glasses, buddy. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, skycriesmary said:

The main thing it's used for is anxiety relief, although I've never used it for anxiety. It's never put me to sleep, although the one time I got the dosage up to about 1.5g I was MUCH more comfortable horizontal. I was close to rolling at that point. That being said it does mellow you out. You could say It blisses you out. The reason I keep the doses infrequent is everything I've read about possibility for addiction. I've never had an addictive personality, but to those who do, tread carefully. 

I just ordered some. I want to try. I’ve had anxiety for about a year now. 

5 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Yes. Get used to buying reading glasses, buddy. 

Thought readers only help with close distance?