Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Captain Cranks

Stuff happening lately that reminds you you're getting older

On Friday my wife and I pull into a quik-trip and when I came out I opened the door of a car that wasn’t ours. Two ladies sitting in the car were laughing as I did this.  When I got into our car my wife said as I was walking out of the store, he’s going to do it, yep, he’s going to do it, yes he did it.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5

20 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

On Friday my wife and I pull into a quik-trip and when I came out I opened the door of a car that wasn’t ours. Two ladies sitting in the car were laughing as I did this.  When I got into our car my wife said as I was walking out of the store, he’s going to do it, yep, he’s going to do it, yes he did it.

Older gentleman came up to my car and started to reach for the passenger door. Then he noted my standing there putting gas in the tank. He sheepishly walked to the next set of pumps where he got in the car with what appeared to be his son. Different color, different brand of car. About the only thing in common was we were both at a gas station. At least I'm not THAT bad.

• Thanks 1

I once came out of the convenience store and got in a car next to a stranger.  The friend I was with laughed her *** off.

I was in my twenties.  I'm doomed.

• Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I once came out of the convenience store and got in a car next to a stranger.  The friend I was with laughed her *** off.

Last year I walked into the ladies bathroom at a musical event.  I was wondering why there were no urinals, so I went into a stall.  After I was finished and was washing my hands, a woman walked out of a stall and said, “one of us is wrong”.  I said, yep, that would be me.  When I left the restroom my wife and others were laughing at me.  I Iaughed at myself pretty good at that one.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

Last year I walked into the ladies bathroom at a musical event.  I was wondering why there were no urinals, so I went into a stall.  After I was finished and was washing my hands, a woman walked out of a stall and said, “one of us is wrong”.  I said, yep, that would be me.  When I left the restroom my wife and others were laughing at me.  I Iaughed at myself pretty good at that one.

Just recently in a mall I did my business not even wondering why this mall only had stalls and no urinals in their mens room. Leaving it an older lady gave me an odd smile as she entered.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, belljr said:

Watching some Nascar and they are interviewing the rookies.   They look barely older than my daughter......   Oof

My wife and I said the same thing.  1/3 of the guys don't look old enough to have driver's licenses.  

16 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I did this once but not because I was old.  Was at a seafood restaurant drinking one night.  I get up to use the bathroom and I walk down the hall where they are.  The first door has a Christmas decoration on it, but I can clearly see the GU and S.  The rest is obscured by the decoration.  But, it's obvious it says GUYS.  So I go in and realize there are no urinals.  A lady came in a split second after me and we had a weird moment where I blabbered some excuse and made my way out.  Turns out the doors said BUOYS and GULLS.  

I have since learned to read both doors before entering a bathroom.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

My GF just got a new Ford Escape. Maroon. I have done this twice since October. The first time, the lady even handed me her purse..."I'M SORRY MISS! WRONG CAR! WRONG CAR!" and bolted. The second, no one was in there. Dumb ###.

STOP MAKING VEHICLES THAT LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE.

Or memorize the license plate.

Edited by Tony Jabroni
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

59 minutes ago, Tony Jabroni said:

My GF just got a new Ford Escape. Maroon. I have done this twice since October. The first time, the lady even handed me her purse..."I'M SORRY MISS! WRONG CAR! WRONG CAR!" and bolted. The second, no one was in there. Dumb ###.

You should not call her that just because she bought that vehicle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

19 hours ago, Tony Jabroni said:

Doesn't help me.  It was the 80's, and her car was a '64 Plymoth Valiant.  None of the other cars looked like it.

Edited by Mrs. Rannous

I was in the city a few weeks ago, waiting to pick up my wife, and a woman gets into the back while on the phone, thinking I was her Uber. It took her a couple of seconds.

We're thinking about getting a dog and this is the first time getting a pet where I think there's a good chance it could out live me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

My daughter just had her second child 18 years after the first one. She was a baby (15) when she had the first one so we basically raised our grand daughter for the first 6 years. We were in our 40s then and it really did not seem difficult or at least I don't remember it being that way. So now we are in our 60s and we volunteered to go to their house and baby sit to save them money. I have to say it seems much harder. As a matter of fact it is kind of kickin my ### and he is not even a toddler yet. Do you think it is because we are in our 60s or am I just being a wuss?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rustycolts said:

My daughter just had her second child 18 years after the first one. She was a baby (15) when she had the first one so we basically raised our grand daughter for the first 6 years. We were in our 40s then and it really did not seem difficult or at least I don't remember it being that way. So now we are in our 60s and we volunteered to go to their house and baby sit to save them money. I have to say it seems much harder. As a matter of fact it is kind of kickin my ### and he is not even a toddler yet. Do you think it is because we are in our 60s or am I just being a wuss?

I think it shows your judgment is getting worse as you get older. 😀 I told my kids the same thing my mom told me when I got married. I'm here for the occasional helpful afternoon watching kids in a pinch, but I'm not free full time day care. I can't imagine doing this in my 60s. But I realize everyone is different. Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I think it shows your judgment is getting worse as you get older. 😀 I told my kids the same thing my mom told me when I got married. I'm here for the occasional helpful afternoon watching kids in a pinch, but I'm not free full time day care. I can't imagine doing this in my 60s. But I realize everyone is different. Good luck!

Yea I think your right about my judgment. It's just daycare was going to cost them damn near a grand a month. So I guess this proves the older I get the less judgment I have and that I'm thinking the older you get the harder it is to deal with a 3 month old baby.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:13 AM, Tony Jabroni said:

Whatever happened to the cool bright colors, or pastel they used to use back in the 50s and 60s?  It seems there are only a few colors to choose from now and all of them are your basic dark red, dark blue, black, white, gold, and silver, with some dark maroon, and occasionally royal blue (but not many)  thrown in.  One exception are some bright red colors which like.   It just seems to me car paint jobs aren't as pretty as they used to be.

ETA:  I also miss chrome and cool spokes for wheels. 

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Whatever happened to the cool bright colors, or pastel they used to use back in the 50s and 60s?  It seems there are only a few colors to choose from now and all of them are your basic dark red, dark blue, black, white, gold, and silver, with some dark maroon, and occasionally royal blue (but not many)  thrown in.  One exception are some bright red colors which like.   It just seems to me car paint jobs aren't as pretty as they used to be.

ETA:  I also miss chrome and cool spokes for wheels. 

Sounds like a good way of not getting in someone else’s car is to buy some white walls or chrome rims for your ride. 

Or a giant #######' spoiler (even if it’s a Toyota Corolla) 

7 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Yea I think your right about my judgment. It's just daycare was going to cost them damn near a grand a month. So I guess this proves the older I get the less judgment I have and that I'm thinking the older you get the harder it is to deal with a 3 month old baby.

I would bet you'll be able to adjust to this far easier than your daughter and her family would be able to adjust with $1,000 less per month.  IMO.

43 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I would bet you'll be able to adjust to this far easier than your daughter and her family would be able to adjust with $1,000 less per month.  IMO.

Yes that's the reason we are doing it. We will get a little trade off though her husband is real handy. We need some stuff done around the house that involves the use of a ladder. Which I am definitely to old to be climbing up on.

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Isn't child care cost something you consider before deciding to have a child? I guess the fact your line of thinking bothers me a bit is just another sign that getting older makes one a curmudgeon. So add that to the list.

Felt old when they started playing Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, STP, etc. on the Classic Rock station a few years back. Yesterday I heard Staind's "It's Been Awhile," which came out in 2001. :bag: Aught songs are now officially classic's, ugh.

Edited by Buckna
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, jamny said:

I was in the city a few weeks ago, waiting to pick up my wife, and a woman gets into the back while on the phone, thinking I was her Uber. It took her a couple of seconds.

Last year, I got in an Uber after a few beers.  Nice young foreign fella as a driver.  Couldn't understand a word of what he was saying.  Smiled and nodded and proceeded to dick with my phone while I waited for him to start driving. I was probably posting here. Maybe a minute later I got an alert on my phone that my Uber would be arriving in 1 minute.  Ooops. No wonder he kept jabbering and wouldn't drive.

• Laughing 4

36 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Isn't child care cost something you consider before deciding to have a child? 

If one thought about all the bills that come rolling in with kids there wouldn't be any.  Or there would be 1/2 as many as roughly 1/2 the children born are unplanned pregnancies.

Daycare is definitely expensive but they had planned on it. It's just we wanted to save them some money. I just didn't realize how much a 3 month old could take out of you made me feel old. Guess you need to be closer to a spring chicken than an old fart when it comes to taking care of a baby.

• Like 1

Mr R just pointed out that we've been playing computer games that are now old enough to drink.  We also have friends who are younger than some of them.

Old enough to drink?  I'm pretty sure some are almost 40 years old

7 hours ago, joey said:

Sounds like a good way of not getting in someone else’s car is to buy some white walls or chrome rims for your ride. 

No, just looking for better options for colors to cars.  Today's options are pretty bland don't you think?

8 hours ago, joey said:

One thing I do know is if ever I'm involved in a wreck I surely don't want a 57 Chevy hitting me.  That car will tear me a new one with the way cars are built today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, just looking for better options for colors to cars.  Today's options are pretty bland don't you think?

Agreed. I love orange so, even though I’m not a Sabaru fan, their Crosstech In Sunshine Orange always catches my eye

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/gallery.html/0-360-modal

One thing I do know is if ever I'm involved in a wreck I surely don't want a 57 Chevy hitting me.  That car will tear me a new one with the way cars are built today.

My dad had a '59 Cadillac (the one with the great double-bullet red taillights on the big tail fins). He tells the story of pulling into the driveway in Brooklyn across traffic and this dude comes out of no where and slams into the side of him. Caddy had a dented door and the other dude's front end was totaled. :) 

Edited by joey

2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

My dad had a Bel Air that he drove up until about 1992 or so. That thing coulda been the Popemobile with no body modifications. “Bulletproof” wasn’t hyperbole with those old Chevys.

10 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Thinking old cars are safer than new cars might be another sign you're getting older.

Talking about "style" is a different subject.  :) 

I will say that my '91 Jeep Cherokee went through a brief storm with pool ball sized hail about 7 years ago with only minor damage.  The newer cars in the same parking were not so lucky.  

Edited by WDIK2

9 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

Thinking old cars are safer than new cars might be another sign you're getting older.

Talking about "style" is a different subject.  :) 

I will say that my '91 Jeep Cherokee went through a brief storm with pool ball sized hail about 7 years ago with only minor damage.  The newer cars in the same parking were not so lucky.  

That really opened my eyes, but I'd still rather be in a 57 chevy over most newer cars ;)

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, [icon] said:

Still going well. down ~10lbs and feel great. 

Taking a 48hr hiatus for a Bach party in Atlanta for a wedding I'm standing in. Then back on the wagon.

May keep it going to Fri March 6th as makeup. May not. Will see :) 

I honestly thought icon was planning to drink and listen to classical music

• Laughing 1

On 2/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, TheIronSheik said:

The slow drip of urine exiting my body and the worry that no matter what I do, my pants will end up with a small wet spot next to the Flesh Sheik.

Band name.

My god, #######' nose hair.  I have gone from maintaining it monthly to needing to do it weekly.  What in the actual eff?  :sadbanana:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

My god, #######' nose hair.  I have gone from maintaining it monthly to needing to do it weekly.  What in the actual eff?  :sadbanana:

It's like a neck beard, but in your nostrils.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It's like a neck beard, but in your nostrils.

I have a beard and shave the neck and cheeks probably 2-3 times a week.  I should probably just do the nose while I'm at it but I fear it would grow even faster.  Drives me nuts.

1 minute ago, nirad3 said:

I have a beard and shave the neck and cheeks probably 2-3 times a week.  I should probably just do the nose while I'm at it but I fear it would grow even faster.  Drives me nuts.

Also, reminds me of an ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor that I went to a few years ago.  Dude had the most nose hair I'd ever seen.  Dude, you're an ENT doc and you let that stuff grow?  

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Also, reminds me of an ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor that I went to a few years ago.  Dude had the most nose hair I'd ever seen.  Dude, you're an ENT doc and you let that stuff grow?  

guy is just letting his nose hair do its natural job of protecting his immune system.

embrace the walrus within you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

the weirdest thing to me is these hair nose/ear dudes who are married. Their wives let them out of the house like that?  Don't even subtly mention "dear, you might want to trim the ol' schnozz"

51 minutes ago, joey said:

the weirdest thing to me is these hair nose/ear dudes who are married. Their wives let them out of the house like that?  Don't even subtly mention "dear, you might want to trim the ol' schnozz"

My wife has let me out of the house numerous times with an inside out polo shirt, some are just not up to the task. Also wearing a polo shirt every day seems like something old people do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joey said:

Oaks

@OakHill_

·Dec 4, 2017

Brain: You’re getting older.

Heart: No!! Age is just a number!!

Nose Hair: Shut up guys, I’m in charge now.

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

18 hours ago, huthut said:

My wife has let me out of the house numerous times with an inside out polo shirt, some are just not up to the task. Also wearing a polo shirt every day seems like something old people do. 

Wearing a YELLOW polo today.  It's very yellow.  

18 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Oaks

@OakHill_

·Dec 4, 2017

Brain: You’re getting older.

Heart: No!! Age is just a number!!

Nose Hair: Shut up guys, I’m in charge now.

:lol:

Also, :sadbanana:

My son just made his 8th grade varsity middle school team.  :thumbup: Went to the parent/coach meeting yesterday and the coach made me feel extremely old.  He is 23 years old and I am twice his age.  He looks about 18 to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

My son just made his 8th grade varsity middle school team.  :thumbup: Went to the parent/coach meeting yesterday and the coach made me feel extremely old.  He is 23 years old and I am twice his age.  He looks about 18 to me.

@snogger alias?

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

@snogger alias?

:no: we are empty nesters 🎉

3 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Getting more mail on life insurance. 

Except that I started getting that when I was about 36.  Mr R finds it hilarious.  (He's five years younger than I am.)