What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stuff happening lately that reminds you you're getting older (1 Viewer)

I'm kinda over rap music.

I aways kinda like jazz.  Now I really like it.

I am now starting to enjoy classical music in the car.  Mellows me out and I don't have to drive so fast.
If I'm feeling especially annoyed by sports talk radio, I will listen to classical on my 25ish minute commute home.

39 - Hurt my knee tying my shoe.  Didn't fall or twist it or anything, just bent my knee too far and now it's hurt for the past 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm feeling especially annoyed by sports talk radio, I will listen to classical on my 25ish minute commute home.
Also good in the morning to wake up too, as opposed to a bunch of over caffeinated idiots cackling over something stupid.

Shoveling all of this snow Minnesota has gotten recently has done a number on my back.  Nothing like a sore back to make you feel old.
I barely lifted a shovel and used the snowblower instead here in WI and I can't tell you how many times I woke up in the middle of the night last night.  Didn't realize I moved around that much, but every time I did, my back pain let me know. 

Shoveling all of this snow Minnesota has gotten recently has done a number on my back.  Nothing like a sore back to make you feel old.
Took a half fall on an icy step Monday night. Caught myself on the handrail, but it still did a number on my back. Spent all day Tuesday in la-la land full of pain killers and muscle relaxers. Pleasantly surprised with my recovery time, so feeling somewhat young again. 

I'm kinda over rap music.

I aways kinda like jazz.  Now I really like it.

I am now starting to enjoy classical music in the car.  Mellows me out and I don't have to drive so fast.
Could you please move into the right hand lane then?

I've also been listening to classical ... didn't realize each song is like 20 mins long. Sheesh.

The biggest thing that lets me know that I'm getting older is that I have less fear of dying.

When I was 25 I wanted to live forever. ... Now I'm 50, tired, sore, stressed, and the long rest sounds very appealing. 

We recently got a foot plus in my neck of the woods in the PNW over the past week, and shoveling that snow not only left me with a tweaked back, but also made me experience pains in muscles in my gluteus maximus that I never knew even existed.

When I get sore for days from relatively non-strenuous activity, I know I'm getting old. 

Love the muscle relaxer fountain of youth as well, @Epic Problem, am right there with ya.

We recently got a foot plus in my neck of the woods in the PNW over the past week, and shoveling that snow not only left me with a tweaked back, but also made me experience pains in muscles in my gluteus maximus that I never knew even existed.

When I get sore for days from relatively non-strenuous activity, I know I'm getting old. 

Love the muscle relaxer fountain of youth as well, @Epic Problem, am right there with ya.
I don't know that I'd call shoveling snow non-strenuous. Especially if it is wet snow!

I don't know that I'd call shoveling snow non-strenuous. Especially if it is wet snow!
:goodposting:

another part of getting old, If I see a 40 degree day coming within a day or three, shoveling isn’t happening. It will melt just fine. I used to love the workout, but far too many stories of people having grippers from the exertion from doing it. Probably why the slip happened, but with no bones broken, it was a small price to pay. 

I barely lifted a shovel and used the snowblower instead here in WI and I can't tell you how many times I woke up in the middle of the night last night.  Didn't realize I moved around that much, but every time I did, my back pain let me know. 
I really need to get a snowblower one of these days, and I only have two more winters with a son in the house to help out (well, until they come back home to mooch after college).  The problem is I have a huge hill for a driveway, so the one time I borrowed a neighbors, it felt like more work managing the beast on the hill than just shoveling itself.  :shrug:  

got any more info on this?
It wasn't cheap- nor covered by insurance- but I had a college track teammate that had the same issues try it, and he highly recommended giving it a shot (no pun intended). Although mileage may vary (the results and duration of of intended effect) from patient to patient, the series of shots enabled me to get back in the game- strengthening my quads to ease the load on my knees. I was actually reading up on replacement options at the time and doing more Advil then I should have been. One year+ out and I'm in a much better place.

SynviscOne

I really need to get a snowblower one of these days, and I only have two more winters with a son in the house to help out (well, until they come back home to mooch after college).  The problem is I have a huge hill for a driveway, so the one time I borrowed a neighbors, it felt like more work managing the beast on the hill than just shoveling itself.  :shrug:  
I have 2 snowblowers.  A smaller, single stage Simplicity that is good enough 85% of the time.  With you living in MN I'd go with my backup blower:  Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO (28")

This will handle hills just fine and is simply a beast.  A bit overkill for a majority of our snow storms, but you won't regret it the few times all the power is needed.  I bought mine dirt cheap from a neighbor that moved to TX. 

Visited my bro and his family up in GA this weekend.  Took the 14 year old nephew up to local park to play some pickup basketball with his friends.  Held my own, drained some 3s, got a sick crossover and under the hoop flip layup on one of the kids.  A successful showing for my soon to be 40 year old self. 

That was Saturday.  By Monday I could barely walk and yesterday went to ortho dr.  Plantar fasciitis!  Wonderful

I coach youth basketball.  Had our first practice of the season a couple of weeks ago.  I'm actually the assistant this year, so my activity level was low.  I did some demonstrations of dribbling, d slides, closing out.  Very short demonstrations, and a lot of standing around.  My legs were killing me the next day.

Not sure if that is a sign of getting older, or that I need to move a LOT more.

52....Got bunions on both my feet, had them for years, but now they like to flare up now and again..Hurt so bad I limp.

Every year now on the golf course I can feel the strength I have lost from the previous year.   Drives and irons not as far as they used to be.  What used to be a 9 iron, is now an 8.  It's noticeable enough now that I'm working out to keep my strength up.

Readers are now permanent parts of my face, and I wear contacts for long distance vision too.

If I eat something crappy---like fast food--I feel crappy soon after. I used to be able to eat concrete with no adverse feelings. 

Even on weekends now, bedtime is generally around 10PM.    

Physical issues over the last 5 years include Hemorrhoids, mild ringing in my ears (lots of concerts), a blown out arch in my foot, less flow when peeing, and a herniated disc in my upper back. I was at the eye doc yesterday and was told I need readers and am close to needing bifocals.Something always hurts - random body parts ache all day - then it's something else the next day. I'm not sure I can remember a truly pain-free day. I've also found myself occasionally dealing with anxiety - not crippling but also not just fleeting worry.

The biggest thing of late is that I can't sleep. I can nap during the day just fine but I can't get any meaningful sleep at night. My solution has been to take 2 Tylenol PMs every night before bed which allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep through the night. Been doing that for a couple of months now. The other night I was so tired I figured I could get to sleep without them. Two hours later I was still awake.

Part of this feels physical (lack of melatonin perhaps) or that I have to get up and pee if not sleeping well, but part is anxiety related. I think somewhere in the back of my brain i'm aware of the fact that any night I go to sleep it's possible I won't wake up. I don't overtly think about that or obsess about it but it's in the back of my brain somewhere. I worry about what happens when the Tylenol PMs stop working...

Making old people noises (grunts & groans) when getting up or sitting down on the floor.
:lmao: yes

there's a lady in the office who's a few years older than me (late 40s) and she practically screams some variation of "####! ow,! ####! ####! ow!" every time she stands up.

Physical issues over the last 5 years include Hemorrhoids, mild ringing in my ears (lots of concerts), a blown out arch in my foot, less flow when peeing, and a herniated disc in my upper back. I was at the eye doc yesterday and was told I need readers and am close to needing bifocals.Something always hurts - random body parts ache all day - then it's something else the next day. I'm not sure I can remember a truly pain-free day. I've also found myself occasionally dealing with anxiety - not crippling but also not just fleeting worry.

The biggest thing of late is that I can't sleep. I can nap during the day just fine but I can't get any meaningful sleep at night. My solution has been to take 2 Tylenol PMs every night before bed which allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep through the night. Been doing that for a couple of months now. The other night I was so tired I figured I could get to sleep without them. Two hours later I was still awake.

Part of this feels physical (lack of melatonin perhaps) or that I have to get up and pee if not sleeping well, but part is anxiety related. I think somewhere in the back of my brain i'm aware of the fact that any night I go to sleep it's possible I won't wake up. I don't overtly think about that or obsess about it but it's in the back of my brain somewhere. I worry about what happens when the Tylenol PMs stop working...
CBD, gb

Get Lunesta/Temazepam. Life without good sleep sucks 

No matter what time I go to bed, I am up 5-6.  I normally go to bed around 10 during the week because I have to get up at 5:45 for work.  I force myself to stay up until at least 11 on the weekends hoping I can sleep later, but wake up, look at the alarm clock & realize it is only 5.

Not to criticize man but you sound a lot older than 48.  If you're able to exercise some - although maybe you need to get those injuries taken care of first - that can help with sleep. Even some light yoga or something.  Also changes to diet can help.

Went bowling last night.

Entire body, but especially my back, is angry. Very angry.

ETA...and the whole natural hand eye thing that made stuff like bowling fairly easy...pretty much gone now.

Now when I get sick, even if it's just a cold, I think it's something worse and it will kill me.

Visiting Boise and the radio station that was playing Zeppelin,The who, etc was called "The Oldies"

I'm 34, for the past few weeks I've had vertigo, usually when I move while laying down, and only for a second or two. It also occurs when I look up for too long and then look forward, which can be problematic as an electrician, but I'm figuring out what sets it off.

Called a HS playoff game Friday night, then went home and ate some take and bake type pizza, with sriracha. Woke up about 4am with what felt like a ball of fire in my epigastric/substernal area. If 10/10 pain was having most of the skin ripped off my upper back in a car accident, this was a 7.5. Legit almost made me cry. I had some acid reflux issues a couple of years ago, so I'm guessing this is a recurrence. It was f'n awful. The pain lasted well into Saturday morning. I ended up eating a giant muffin in the hope that it would soak up some of the acid, and that actually did the trick. I can still feel where that ball of fire was, but it doesn't hurt. 

I used to be able to eat anything I wanted with 0 repercussions. Now I'm afraid to eat soup.

Tool said:
Not to criticize man but you sound a lot older than 48.  If you're able to exercise some - although maybe you need to get those injuries taken care of first - that can help with sleep. Even some light yoga or something.  Also changes to diet can help.
I can't call you wrong. One of the problems here is that the injuries (arch/back) happened while I was trying to get into better shape (tennis/pickleball/lifting). So it's been a bit of a bad cycle - drop weight when working out and then an injury hits which puts me on the shelf and the weight returns. Rinse, repeat. It is definitely time to drop some weight...

My daughter's friend jokingly said to me the other day, "OK, Boomer."  

Problem is, I'm 10 years younger than the youngest Boomer.  But I'm so old, that the younger generation just lumps me in with those old farts.

I am starting to like getting up early on the weekends, as opposed to sleeping in. I'm talking 6-6:30ish.  The house is quiet, I can relax in my house in peace for a couple hours.  I also like going to bed early (10-10:30ish).

Honestly, i don't think my body and its aches would let me sleep any longer, I have just grown accustomed to it.  But it's not too bad being up early on the weekends.

Copeman said:
I am starting to like getting up early on the weekends, as opposed to sleeping in. I'm talking 6-6:30ish.  The house is quiet, I can relax in my house in peace for a couple hours.  I also like going to bed early (10-10:30ish).

Honestly, i don't think my body and its aches would let me sleep any longer, I have just grown accustomed to it.  But it's not too bad being up early on the weekends.
If I happen to have a "lazy" weekend which is rare. I'm usually up around 6-6:30 - i'll grab a cup of coffee flip on tv and end up napping around 9 :)

If I happen to have a "lazy" weekend which is rare. I'm usually up around 6-6:30 - i'll grab a cup of coffee flip on tv and end up napping around 9 :)
Same.  I'll get up even earlier sometimes as I am used to the alarm going off.  I'll get up, play video games or watch TV for a couple of hours.  Then when my wife gets up, I'll sometimes go back to bed for a nap.

If I don't, I will end up napping at around 11 if nothing going on.  Then again at 4 if nothing going on.  Then fall asleep around 9 or 10 (on a good night).

Users who are viewing this thread