What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cell Phone addiction thread (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
I've thought about this at various times and I've decided to finally make some big changes in my cell phone use.  I figured I would post here and use this thread for various reasons and see what happens.

One, I figured this would be a great start to just talk about it or share.  As a thread, it can also just bring awareness to some of us that may not realize how addicted we are to our phones (Phone addiction quiz).  It can be a place to share tips or habits to help break that addiction.  And, it could also be a way to hold myself and maybe others accountable if you want to make any changes.

It's hard to admit there's something wrong or to be addicted to something.  I'm certainly not on my phone 24/7.  I don't play games on it.  I don't really watch movies or shows on it.  I don't walk around while only looking at my phone.  But there's enough behaviors that I take part in with my phone that simply aren't healthy and are habits I need to break.  Responding to emails or texts almost immediately.  Mindlessly using it while waiting for people or just sitting around (usually visiting here).  And I've certainly had a feeling of anxiety if I leave the house without it or I'm out and the battery is low or that I might not be connected. 

Here's a great explanation about certain aspects of phone addiction

I still occasionally turn on my phone if I wake up in the middle of the night and use it.  I will use it to look up movie casts or information while watching a show with my wife.  I've seen work emails that I respond to almost immediately and stop what I'm doing in order to do so.   And I want to stop all these habits.

So, some things I'm going to start doing:

1)  I'm taking my charger off of my night stand and will charge my phone elsewhere at night.  I'll keep it on the other side of the room.

2)  At home, I'll make sure the phone isn't on me or near me.  (this is a big one for me)

3)  Start intentionally delaying responding to texts or emails. 

Anyway, maybe this thread goes nowhere.  Maybe most of you are good enough to limit your use.  But, also, maybe some of you used to be this way and found ways to stop.  Please share ways to help make those changes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is how I view it.  I use my phone pretty much like I used my laptop.  Surf internet, view emails etc

I don't use my phone for work so that helps.

When I get home I put it on my desk and leave it there.  If I feel like surfing the net while watching TV, sports etc I grab it.

I put it down before bed and don't use it again.  I also have it set to DND at 10pm.

I don't feel I'm addicted to it

I could go hours not replying to a text

Great thread - as soon as I finish reading the 10k thread and catchup on the PSF arguments I’ll send a few texts, check my work email, play Pokémon Go and watch some YouTube videos.  After that I’ll come back and read the whole OP.

Seriously though - I love the thread idea and will be following along. 

I don't need to complete some quiz to tell me I'm addicted.  But I took it just in case.   :oldunsure:

i have no phone, i use google voice to keep in touch with people.

dont have a car either, those things are worse for addiction/anxiety.

I feel(with just a hint of hyperbole) the addiction to electronic devices is going to be(ultimately) the downfall of mankind.  

• Have you ever been to a restaurant and looked around at the other families?  On many occasions the entire family is absorbed in  staring at their device and not engaging each other in meaningful conversation. A certain percentage of little Billy's life will no longer hold the memories of actively engaged in conversation with his parents/siblings.  Laughing at bad dad jokes, talking about his day, asking questions and having meaningful dialog.  The disintegration of social skills.  Extrapolate that 30 years down the road.  A whole society who do not know how to interact with one another.  This won't just affect the family unit.  Work, politics, micro-economics.
  • Corporations and the gov't love this(currently).  Great way to distract humans from what they are doing, and they can get away with much more.
  • "Liking" or sharing something gives people a false sense of participation in a given subject.  I will have to research this point a little more, but 'micro-demonstrating' has gone down due to this.
  • Constant 'entertainment' does not allow the human to become bored. This leads to inner skills(imagination, creativity, etc.) to stagnate and not evolve.
  • Star Trek The Next Generation had an episode(called "The Game") that is eerily similar to todays environment. 

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I feel(with just a hint of hyperbole) the addiction to electronic devices is going to be(ultimately) the downfall of mankind.  

• Have you ever been to a restaurant and looked around at the other families?  On many occasions the entire family is absorbed in  staring at their device and not engaging each other in meaningful conversation. A certain percentage of little Billy's life will no longer hold the memories of actively engaged in conversation with his parents/siblings.  Laughing at bad dad jokes, talking about his day, asking questions and having meaningful dialog.  The disintegration of social skills.  Extrapolate that 30 years down the road.  A whole society who do not know how to interact with one another.  This won't just affect the family unit.  Work, politics, micro-economics.
  • Corporations and the gov't love this(currently).  Great way to distract humans from what they are doing, and they can get away with much more.
  • "Liking" or sharing something gives people a false sense of participation in a given subject.  I will have to research this point a little more, but 'micro-demonstrating' has gone down due to this.
  • Constant 'entertainment' does not allow the human to become bored. This leads to inner skills(imagination, creativity, etc.) to stagnate and not evolve.
  • Star Trek The Next Generation had an episode(called "The Game") that is eerily similar to todays environment. 

Pretty much all this.  

I need to read more on it, but a recent podcast I was listening to was equating a big spike in anxiety/depression/suicide to the beginning of social media and people having 24/7 online access, especially in the female population.  

Anyway, am not on as much as most, but still notice getting antsy if I cant check stuff.  We have been trying little things like no phones at dinner, leave it in the car when we can when going other places, and leaving them in the kitchen to charge at night.  

I scored a 10. Not buying it. Nothing wrong with me

In all seriousness, I didnt need that quiz to know Im on my phone too much. But honestly, I would rather play Clash Royale or Brawl Stars than pay attention to whatever my wife is saying to me at the time 

I scored a 2 which it says is "normal".

I do think it's a serious issue. 

The key I think is seeing the phone as a tool. And understanding it's up to you to use it responsibly. You're in charge of it. Not the other way around. 

What's worrisome is the phone allows for issues to be exploited or compounded with more speed and force than in times before smart phones. If you struggle with insecurity or jealousy, scrolling instagram is pouring gasoline on that fire. If you're easily distracted or prone to procrastination, YouTube (or footballguys - I have a role in this too) can be trouble. 

On the flip side, it can be a tool for good. You can send an encouraging text in 5 seconds that's delivered instantly. You can learn something useful about just about anything. 

it's a powerful tool. And one that needs to thought about. 

I scored a 10. Not buying it. Nothing wrong with me

In all seriousness, I didnt need that quiz to know Im on my phone too much. But honestly, I would rather play Clash Royale or Brawl Stars than pay attention to whatever my wife is saying to me at the time 
I got a 13 :oldunsure:

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned

I know you're kidding but this is a real thing.

Easy rule of thumb, if there's another person you're with, be with them.

Treat the phone as if it were a book or magazine. It's, of course, ok to read a magazine in the same room as your wife or buddy. But you wouldn't pull out a book to read likely if you were out to dinner with your wife. Treat the phone the same way.  

Excellent topic. Looking forward to the discussion.
I'm not a complainer about this site, but I really think it would be best to remove the "like" function here.  I'm sure everyone has read about how that affects our website addiction, rewarding us, stimulating the endorphins (??) or some such.  I really believe it is a negative on this internet in general, encouraging a pack mentality and feeding an addiction.  Of course, from your perspective as an owner, I suppose anything that drives more traffic is good and I can't disagree with that. I'm not on facebook and mostly just lurk on twitter and reddit, so this whole "like" thing was new to me. Its been somewhat of an eye-opener. 

NOTE TO EVERYONE: PLEASE DON'T "LIKE" THIS POST!

I'm not a complainer about this site, but I really think it would be best to remove the "like" function here.  I'm sure everyone has read about how that affects our website addiction, rewarding us, stimulating the endorphins (??) or some such.  I really believe it is a negative on this internet in general, encouraging a pack mentality and feeding an addiction.  Of course, from your perspective as an owner, I suppose anything that drives more traffic is good and I can't disagree with that. I'm not on facebook and mostly just lurk on twitter and reddit, so this whole "like" thing was new to me. Its been somewhat of an eye-opener. 

I'd rather get a string of nested quotes with....

:lmao:

:lmao:    :lmao:

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  

... from three different posters, like in the olden days, than a dozen likes

Sounds a lot like the effect t.v. was said to have about 60 years ago. Families watching the boob tube instead of talking over dinner. The words t.v. dinner itself.

Especially when paired with the notification function.  

Sounds a lot like the effect t.v. was said to have about 60 years ago. Families watching the boob tube instead of talking over dinner. The words t.v. dinner itself.
Fair point. The demise of society has been predicted many times.

This does feel like a fundamental change though. Different from TV. Although I never knew a time without TV so I can't say from experience. 

My take on it is realize the power phones hold and use them thoughtfully.

I never use a cell phone.  I only carry one in my car as an emergency (it is just an old flip phone).

But if replace cell phone for tablet, then I can safely say I am fully addicted.   When I wake up, the first thing I do i turn it on and read.   I stay online almost all day long, either reading, posting, watching videos (typically cooking ones to prepare for dinner).  I leave the tablet on during most sporting events I watch on TV.  I use the tablet (like now) in my part time job at the library.

I use my tablet right up until the time I go to sleep and place it on the night stand to pick up when I wake up.

I don't carry the tablet with me when I shop and I won't keep it on when watching tv with family.

But other than that I show every sign of addiction including a very uncomfortable feeling if I have been offline for too many straight hours.

I think I agree with you Cletius. It seems like it's just an easy way to shut conversation down or to be lazy about it than to really engage. I think in the past I've written your similar sentiment on these boards. 

It's not that I don't like getting liked or positive feedback, it's that I'm here to interact, and while I'm not complaining either, if I had my druthers, I'd do away with the like function. 

I'm still using it, though.  

I am constantly testing myself mentally and physically. A big believer in the "mental toughness" concept, and huge subscriber to the quality management concept of consistent improvement. I'm always competing silently with the guy next to me. I see cell phone addiction as a huge sign of weakness. Out of all the daily things in my life - such as working out, personal care, self-improvement and grooming, this is one of the things I find myself working hardest at to avoid. I feel like I'm successful at it. Scored a 4, so am envious of the dudes who scored lower than that. But if you have a problem with cell phone addiction, I am judging you inside my head. Believe me that if I see the phone in your hand while you are driving.. you automatically become the worst human being I know. Selfish and unable to control yourself. Anything that takes away your independence is a huge sign of weakness to me. And if it's an action/habit you voluntarily bring upon yourself? Come on man. I can't forgive you for that. Because it seeps. It seeps into other aspects in your life. In my head you're basically a lost dog with a mental illness who can't stop scratching himself. I admit that it is a "mean" way to think and potentially irrational, but it's my biggest pet peeve, by far.

I try to use my phone as little as possible throughout the day.  Honestly, I do not like it much.  I really don't like having it in my pocket more than anything.  I do like having my music travel with me.  I keep a bluetooth speaker at work and listen to my music in the car sometimes.   I do feel a little anxiety when I am without my phone for an extended time.  Not because I feel I need it for anything in particular, but I worry my wife or kids are trying to contact me.  I've missed messages before and it pisses them off.  I also have elderly parents and would hate to be out of contact if they needed me for something.   I am probably more addicted to my laptop than I am my phone. 

I never went. I feel like it's invasion of the body snatchers.

It probably looks like that to people that don't have their smart phones on at all times.   I was at an indoor play area with my daughter about a year ago and watched as a couple of the moms "played" with their kids, but never took the phone out of their hands.  I am not talking about in their pockets, purses - they had them in their hand while they picked them up, played catch, whatever.   That can't be healthy for all involved.   

As a thread, it can also just bring awareness to some of us that may not realize how addicted we are to our phones (Phone addiction quiz).  
For specifically cell phone, I scored a 0 on this test.

I replaced the word cell phone with tablet and scored an astounding 11 

8 or higher- If your score is over 8 you might consider seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist, or psychotherapist who specializes in behavioral addictions for a consultation.

I feel like this is a dorky thing to say--but I do think this is a very serious and relevant topic.  I don't need a quiz to know that I am addicted to my cell phone or ipad.  I know it's bad for me--and I know its unhealthy--but yet I feel lost without my phone.   For my line of work--communication is vital--but I certainly don't need it around me when I sleep--but yet I keep it around.   I definitely need to slowly phase myself away from needing it every moment.   

I scored a 0.  

However, I am 60 and retired.  It's necessary to communicate with my teenage daughter (mostly text).  I love using it for podcasts and I like that there aren't charges for "long-distance" calls - lol. 

With those exceptions, I'm not a big fan.  Hell, I worked for a local phone company from straight out of college until I was over 40.  Especially these days when most of my calls are telemarketers - SOBs.  

I know I spend too much time on my phone but I get the feeling that people are just assuming that if they stop looking at or using their phone that automatically they would start doing better things - my guess is a lot of people would replace that time with something else that is addicting and/or little value add - TV or other.  

I feel like this is a dorky thing to say--but I do think this is a very serious and relevant topic.  I don't need a quiz to know that I am addicted to my cell phone or ipad.  I know it's bad for me--and I know its unhealthy--but yet I feel lost without my phone.   For my line of work--communication is vital--but I certainly don't need it around me when I sleep--but yet I keep it around.   I definitely need to slowly phase myself away from needing it every moment.   
:yes:

I scored a 1 even after substituting my tablet in for the cell phone. The only positive I said was that the amount of time I spend on it was increasing but I am not even sure that's the case. 

I use to check my phone/emails continuous. Enough that anytime my wife and I would go out with others she'd ask me to please not be on my phone all night :bag:   ... Now, when out with my wife, I don't remove it from my pocket until we are heading home.

At night when I'm watching T.V. and I'll check it from time to time, but unless there is a title of "Emergency".. or "immediate help needed" I do not respond to any work emails during off hours. 
I also have no "urge" to check my phone during sleeping hours. I set it to silent and flip it over on my night stand so I can't even see the flashing light that notifies me of messages. So if I do wake up I'm not tempted to see what the message is.

Unfortunately my wife now has caught the addiction I use to have.. When sitting around watching T.V. she is on her phone 75% of the time.
Which tends to lead to her asking a question like "Why did they do that?" .. Well, if you hadn't been on your phone the last 10 minutes, you'd have seen why :wall:

I'd rather get a string of nested quotes with....

:lmao:    :lmao:

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  

... from three different posters, like in the olden days, than a dozen likes
:goodposting:   I've mentioned it before but..

In the "Olden days", if you wanted to like, laugh, etc. about a post you'd actually have to reply.. and in that reply you tended to actually add to the conversation.. Now a lot of people will just click like" and move on. I posted a response to one of Joe's threads about what have you overcome and had 20+ likes, love, thanks.. but not many actual responses.
When people complain that this place is "dead", that is part of it.

Like most people, my phone has become a one stop for everything.   One thing I did end up doing is organizing it, so all the annoying stuff isn't on the main screen.   My home screen now is just basic stuff - podcast app, spotity, phone, camera, alarm.  Next page is internet, email, other apps that I would poke around with, and then I buried in another page in folders stuff like FB, DK, Netflix, etc that would distract me the most. 

Sounds silly,  but I realized that I would check everything if I checked one thing and just blindly sit on my phone a bit too much.  When they were on the main screen.  

Users who are viewing this thread