What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Johnny Miller Retiring As Golf Analyst This Weekend (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
I had no idea, I guess it's only been out for a few days.  😥  He and Jack were my favorite golfers - had a 2'x3' poster on my wall for a number of years.  

I always loved his commentary - it was refreshing.  Maybe a little harsh at times, which pissed off some of the guys, but it was refreshing and the sport needed it.  Besides being one of the best of all time and certainly among a handful of the best ball strikers of all time, I think he may have made his biggest mark as an analyst.  

Even the haters will eventually miss him.  

He was really good as an analyst, but he was starting to sound bitter the last few years. It happens.

He was as talented a golfer as I've ever seen this side of Woods and Nicklaus. And he was as good a golf analyst for many years as I've heard.

Probably a good time to let it go.

I never cared for his style. Sometimes it seemed like he was nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. If a guy missed a putt, Johnny HAD to come up with a reason why.
Never liked him.  Some player is making an approach shot from 212 yards and Johnny says "oh, he wanted to put that a foot to the right..."

Never liked him.  Some player is making an approach shot from 212 yards and Johnny says "oh, he wanted to put that a foot to the right..."
Maybe because the player did want to put it a foot or two elsewhere?  Critiquing is just that; is that not part of his job?  I'd rather hear that, then the ###-kissing you get with so many ex-player/analysts, in any sport.

You might have been happy with an almost great shot, but as a pro, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's 71 going on 72. Probably doesn't care for the travel as much. Probably wants to be a dad and Grandpa, I think he's got a large family. He's rich doesn't need the money.

I wonder though if maybe he's got a death sentence disease. Cancer etc... He's not that old really to be a broadcaster and he's still the best out there. At least he goes out on top.

There is no one even close to him, I would watch a golf tourney just to hear him talk about it. So many stories, so much insight. He would make little telling comments and reveal something you wouldn't necessarily hear elsewhere about a pro golfer. 

I respect the man, being dedicated to his family, but also his work as a professional broadcaster. It's like when Madden retired, we're losing a cultural icon. I'll miss him

Hats off to Miller..to play golf for a career..then to broadcast golf visiting the best places on earth, eating and drinking the best of everything.

Like John Brodie once said "I never had a real job" I played football and then was a broadcaster and golfer. That is the life.

Joe Summer said:
I never cared for his style. Sometimes it seemed like he was nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. If a guy missed a putt, Johnny HAD to come up with a reason why.
I couldn't stand him either. He came off as arrogant and condescending.  And when he would say something about how a player was playing he wouldn't let it go.

Uruk-Hai said:
He was really good as an analyst, but he was starting to sound bitter the last few years. It happens.

He was as talented a golfer as I've ever seen this side of Woods and Nicklaus. And he was as good a golf analyst for many years as I've heard.

Probably a good time to let it go.
He has sounded bitter for over two decades 

tommyboy said:
He's 71 going on 72. Probably doesn't care for the travel as much. Probably wants to be a dad and Grandpa, I think he's got a large family. He's rich doesn't need the money.

I wonder though if maybe he's got a death sentence disease. Cancer etc... He's not that old really to be a broadcaster and he's still the best out there. At least he goes out on top.

There is no one even close to him, I would watch a golf tourney just to hear him talk about it. So many stories, so much insight. He would make little telling comments and reveal something you wouldn't necessarily hear elsewhere about a pro golfer. 

I respect the man, being dedicated to his family, but also his work as a professional broadcaster. It's like when Madden retired, we're losing a cultural icon. I'll miss him

Completely agree.  By far the best on golf.  Sure he's a little bitter.  Still the best.

Users who are viewing this thread