Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too

1 minute ago, matttyl said:

Can my kid dress up as black panther?  MLK?  Usain Bolt?

Apparently not.  Seems like this is something I should have known.

2 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Can my kid dress up as black panther?  MLK?  Usain Bolt?

What your kid can NOT do is put shoe polish on his skin or face and pretend to be black. This is not that complicated. 

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

As an aside...Would someone please explain why a white person dressing up in a custom representing a black person that has a favorable reputation is wrong?  Is it offensive for a black person to wear a mask depicting a white Elvis?  Is wearing a mask OK but face paint wrong?  

"Blackface" started in the 1830s. It was done by white actors as a way to play up racial stereotypes for laughs. The actors weren't just applying black makeup -- they were making their eyes look as white as possible and making their lips look as big as possible, in order to make black people look cartoonish.

So, not only does it represent bad stereotypes, but it also symbolizes America's mistreatment of blacks (since the entire reason that blackface started in the first place is because black actors weren't allowed to perform in front of white audiences).

Now, I personally believe that not all examples of dark makeup are racist. We had a big discussion about this when Megyn Kelly got taken off the air, and I thought that Kelly had a valid point. I think that if the dark makeup is a genuine tribute to a specific person, then it's OK. But if you're applying dark makeup with the sole purpose of exaggerating racial stereotypes, then it's NOT OK.

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 1

Though as I pointed out earlier, if you are were trying to look like Michael Jackson post 1988, you might want to go with white shoe polish on your face. 

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Though as I pointed out earlier, if you are were trying to look like Michael Jackson post 1988, you might want to go with white shoe polish on your face. 

I was wondering if that would be OK.  Is depicting a black person wrong or just applying black shoe polish.

18 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

"Blackface" started in the 1830s. It was done by white actors as a way to play up racial stereotypes for laughs. The actors weren't just applying back makeup -- they were making their eyes look as white as possible and making their lips look as big as possible, in order to make black people look cartoonish.

So, not only does it represent bad stereotypes, but it also symbolizes America's mistreatment of blacks (since the entire reason that blackface started in the first place is because black actors weren't allowed to perform in front of white audiences).

Now, I personally believe that not all examples of dark makeup are racist. We had a big discussion about this when Megyn Kelly got taken off the air, and I thought that Kelly had a valid point. I think that if the dark makeup is a genuine tribute to a specific person, then it's OK. But if you're applying dark makeup with the sole purpose of exaggerating racial stereotypes, then it's NOT OK.

This is what I thought, but obviously I was wrong about the perceptions associated with that.

My concern is that when I buy my $9.95 Black Panther costume to wear over my jeans and sneakers, it won’t look like I’m an authentic Wakandan unless I can roll around in mud first. 

It’s 2019 and we see that some aren’t clear on what’s appropriate and not appropriate and yet we are going to assume that it was clear in 1984?

57 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I was wondering if that would be OK.  Is depicting a black person wrong or just applying black shoe polish.

I went to a Halloween party 10-15 years ago as a white Rasheed Wallace.  there's gotta be pictures somewhere :oldunsure:

28 minutes ago, jomar said:

I went to a Halloween party 10-15 years ago as a white Rasheed Wallace.  there's gotta be pictures somewhere :oldunsure:

Suggest steering clear of politics. 

Northam resigned yet?

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

Dammit

13 hours ago, Workhorse said:

How does he NOT resign here?  “I’m pretty sure I’m not in THAT blackface pic because I remember that OTHER time I dressed in blackface.”

What an odd defense.

I too think it’s odd but I’m assuming the logic is that the KKK robe is the more serious offense.  I agree that it is - and there could even be an explanation (like the MJ contest) to blackface.  I still think he should resign because the story doesn’t add up.

11 hours ago, adonis said:

Absolutely no chance he'd maintain his career or status if he had been honest.

The charade is what's called for if he's to maintain any dignity, or remain in politics.  It's what we require of him because we are a hideous and unforgiving society who enjoys crucifying folks for their mistakes, and only later, once their fall is complete, being willing to welcome them back in, but only once they've lost everything.

We love celebrities when they're on the rise, there's a huge backlash against folks who are on the top, and once we make them fall, we love a comeback story.

We're really screwed up when it comes down to it.

Sorry, but while this has a hint of truth to it, it’s too hyperbolic for me.  Nobody is saying he can’t leave public service and go get some cushy high six figure job - most of the people you are referring to like celebrities or politicians don’t get their lives ruined for things like this - it sucks for them for sure and maybe people do overreact (and do so quickly) but they can move on.

4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m just confused why he had to wear blackface to portray Michael Jackson :confused: 

Winner

6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I too think it’s odd but I’m assuming the logic is that the KKK robe is the more serious offense.  I agree that it is - and there could even be an explanation (like the MJ contest) to blackface.  I still think he should resign because the story doesn’t add up.

Yeah, serious question here is what is worse? KKK robe or blackface? They are obviously both heinous. I guess I'll go with the KKK robe, but man blackface is pretty terrible too.

2 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Yeah, serious question here is what is worse? KKK robe or blackface?* They are obviously both heinous. I guess I'll go with the KKK robe, but man blackface is pretty terrible too.

I’ll be honest - I was not aware of the historical concerns with blackface until it came up like a year ago.  I would expect most people don’t really know about that.  Not saying it makes it right but I do think there’s an element of ignorance and as others pointed out we had a movie based solely on that when most of us were kids.  I don’t think dressing up in KKK garb has any “innocent” explanation.  

6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m just confused why he had to wear blackface to portray Michael Jackson :confused: 

He didn't. Al Sharpton on MSNBC yesterday said he handled PR for Michael Jackson in the 84 Victory Tour and he saw hundreds of white kids dressed like Jackson on the tour dates, but not one was in black face.

12 minutes ago, squistion said:

He didn't. Al Sharpton on MSNBC yesterday said he handled PR for Michael Jackson in the 84 Victory Tour and he saw hundreds of white kids dressed like Jackson on the tour dates, but not one was in black face.

Fake fans.  Probably can’t even moonwalk.

• Like 2

It's become crystal clear the lack of self awareness in the GOP as a whole.  It's quite remarkable to be listening to them talk about this guy while supporting Trump.

16 hours ago, squistion said:

The fat lady is warming up...

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 3m3 minutes ago

Sens. Kaine & Warner & Rep. Scott: "After we watched his press conference today, we called Gov. Northam to tell him that we no longer believe he can effectively serve as Gov. of Virginia and that he must resign ... He should step down and allow the Commonwealth to begin healing."

So the Commonwealth can begin healing??    Really?

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Winner? He stole my joke. 

Sorry man, I didn't see your post and the prize was already awarded. At least this wasn't the NFCC, right?

17 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Sorry man, I didn't see your post and the prize was already awarded. At least this wasn't the NFCC, right?

Who can I sue? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Who can I sue? 

Greg Williams

50 minutes ago, squistion said:

Sorry, Republicans. You can’t call out Northam for racism and give Trump a pass.

- The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/02/03/sorry-republicans-you-cant-call-out-northam-racism-give-trump-pass/

But but but but Trump!😪

Northam resign yet? Can’t make it past Monday right? Don’t know why he’s embarrassing himself further. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Seems like this is something I should have known.

Well, now you do. See, this place is helpful!

Getting back to the issue at hand: from everything I read if Northam refuses to resign, there is no way to remove him. Virginia law allows impeachment but it’s specifically for a crime, and Northam committed no crime. Unlike some states there is no means for a public recall (and even if I’m wrong about that it would take over a year.) 

So far Northam is defying everyone and he is insisting on staying. At least legally, I think he can. 

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Getting back to the issue at hand: from everything I read if Northam refuses to resign, there is no way to remove him. Virginia law allows impeachment but it’s specifically for a crime, and Northam committed no crime. Unlike some states there is no means for a public recall (and even if I’m wrong about that it would take over a year.) 

So far Northam is defying everyone and he is insisting on staying. At least legally, I think he can. 

Eh, here’s the language.

- Impeachment at its base is the No Confidence vote in Parliament, and ‘misdemeanor’ basically means behavior unfit for holding the office.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

50 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

But but but but Trump!😪

It’s a full time job for some people to bash President Trump.  It makes Jim11’s work during the Obama years look like child’s play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Skerritt said:

For the record, Revenge of the Nerds came out in 1984 too... back when rape was socially acceptable and considered humor. 

Trying way too hard. 

Have a friend in Southside VA that texted a pic of Northam today at their neighbors house....wonder what that connection is. 

<-----  Lives in Southern VA

I looked out my windows, but didn't see Northam anywhere.

I'm not really concerned about the Coonman reference.  I conjure it's animal related.  We use animals a lot in conversation.  If I haven't seen someone in a good while I'll sometimes say "I haven't seen you in a coon's age".  It's kinda like donkey years.   I also have a friend that goes by Brown Mocassin, who is fairly white.     😀  <-- Grinnin' bigger'n a barrel of possum heads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom Skerritt said:

For the record, Revenge of the Nerds came out in 1984 too... back when rape was socially acceptable and considered humor. 

The Money Pit has been making the rounds on cable.  Interesting plot point in that one.

Rumor that Fairfax has a sexual assault allegation coming, let’s see how that plays out. Whose next in line?

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

Well damnit I just saw it! 

I posted that same photo a couple weeks ago

54 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Rumor that Fairfax has a sexual assault allegation coming, let’s see how that plays out. Whose next in line?

Or maybe we treat an allegation of sexual assault with the seriousness it deserves rather than just as part of the political game.

10 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Or maybe we treat an allegation of sexual assault with the seriousness it deserves rather than just as part of the political game.

Of course, why wouldn’t you?

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

That's a stunna

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1