What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too (1 Viewer)

Think about this as a potential timeline..

Northam steps down.

Fairfax steps in.

Fairfax nominates/appoints new Lt Gov.

Fairfax steps down.

Newly appointed Lt Gov is the governor of Virginia.
I need to get my resume ready.

ETA: And I need to start hiding...stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem a little strange that the same Democrats who led the battle cry of “we believe the victim” a couple months ago are attacking posters for brining up this ladies accusation.
meh...he's being "attacked" (use of that word is in the loosest terms one could imagine) for suggesting the behavior of people here should be the same as they were in the Kavanaugh hearing even though we aren't at the same stage now as we were when that behavior was displayed in the Kavanaugh hearing.  FG sums it up best....once we get to that point and the story seems to be credible, I can't think of a legit reason anyone would treat him different than Kavanaugh :shrug:  

It does seem a little strange that the same Democrats who led the battle cry of “we believe the victim” a couple months ago are attacking posters for brining up this ladies accusation.
What lady? Who? Amigo, there is no actual "victim" right now. If the story on Kavanaugh had solely been 'Daily Kos has heard rumor of some unnamed woman who claimed she was assaulted 30 years ago' it would not have gotten to Square 1.

What lady? Who? Amigo, there is no actual "victim" right now. If the story on Kavanaugh had solely been 'Daily Kos has heard rumor of some unnamed woman who claimed she was assaulted 30 years ago' it would not have gotten to Square 1.
It's comical really. 

And you don't have to look much further than the last time this was taken care of swiftly by the dems (Franken).  Can anyone show me something similar from the other side?

We don't have a name, but we do have a person who claims to be a victim. The Washington Post has confirmed that someone did come to them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-denies-sex-assault-allegation-from-2004/2019/02/04/05fb0f6c-272b-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f98c161a4f52

We don't have a name, but we do have a person who claims to be a victim. The Washington Post has confirmed that someone did come to them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-denies-sex-assault-allegation-from-2004/2019/02/04/05fb0f6c-272b-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f98c161a4f52
The original "Big League Politics" article had a name on it.  

Yes. And without knowing anything about Fairfax (like Northram, I never heard of him until last Friday), if she comes forward to the public I am likely to believe her.

I realize that this is antithetical to our system of justice in which you're innocent until proven guilty, but personally when it comes to matters of sexual harassment and assault I begin by believing the accuser until they are shown not to be credible. And this is especially true in celebrity cases.  My reasoning is that the cost to the accuser is too high to make it up. There are instances when the accused is innocent, but not the vast majority of the time.

Ok this elevates it from partisan blogger (BLP) to WaPo, which is significant, but we're still at nameless person (to the public) who has not appeared. The comp still doesn't hold.

T J said:
And as far as blackface being off limits, I don't share that opinion. I see double standards everywhere and I don't care for them. Remember the movie White Chicks with the Wayans' brothers? There may have been some minor mention of racism, but there was nowhere near the outrage there would have been had it gone the other way. Now granted, the KKK part in this instance is disturbing, but the blackface in and of itself doesn't even cause me to raise an eyebrow. 
It should. 

So with regards to Fairfax: according to what I've been able to read here

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/us/politics/justin-fairfax-sexual-assault.html

After he won election in 2017 a woman contacted the Washington Post and said he had sexually assaulted her at the 2004 Democratic National Election. The Post could find no corroborating evidence so they refused to report the story (however, in Fairfax's statement this morning he asserted that the Post found inconsistencies in her story, and the Post did not.)

Now the same right wing website that revealed the Klan photo has reported this story, which Fairfax strenuously denies.

And this creates a great problem for Democrats. If it's one woman, and it's a "he said she said" situation, they can't demand Fairfax step down if he insists he's innocent. But what if the woman is willing to go on TV and she sounds credible? It was only 3 months ago that a bunch of prominent Democrats, including the two main candidates in the Presidential race, demanded that Brett Kavanaugh be voted down mainly due to the accusations of one woman. I bought into that at the time; I believed Christine Blasey Ford.  So what if this accuser is just as credible?

Only a few hours ago Democrats were looking at Fairfax as their savior in Virginia to this Northup mess; he's young, he's black, the Presidential candidates can campaign with him in Virginia (a state they have to win) and the whole Northup drama would be erased. Now? What a mess. 
this situation isn't anything even CLOSE to Ford.  I know you love speculating.  But good christ, man. 

this situation isn't anything even CLOSE to Ford.  I know you love speculating.  But good christ, man. 
Well, it might be. We certainly do not know at this point. We should all want credible accusations investigated regardless of political affiliation.

Ok this elevates it from partisan blogger (BLP) to WaPo, which is significant, but we're still at nameless person (to the public) who has not appeared. The comp still doesn't hold.
Ok  I was addressing this:

What lady? Who? Amigo, there is no actual "victim" right now.
This just seemed like a misunderstanding of where we were at. Even before the WaPo confirmed, Fairfax himself confirmed there was an allegation almost immediately.  

Looking like he might not outlast Governor Coonman-

“The woman described a sexual encounter that began with consensual kissing and ended with a forced act that left her crying and shaken,” The Washington Post reported. “She said Fairfax guided her to the bed, where they continued kissing, and then at one point she realized she could not move her neck. She said Fairfax used his strength to force her to perform oral sex.”

The statement from Fairfax said that before Big League Politics posted about it, “not one other reputable media outlet has seen fit to air this false claim. Only now, at a time of intense media attention surrounding Virginia politics, has this false claim been raised again.”

“The Lt. Governor will take appropriate legal action against those attempting to spread this defamatory and false allegation,” the statement read.

Speaking to reporters in Richmond Monday, Fairfax discussed his relationship with the accuser, saying he was 25 and unmarried when they met at the convention. He denied any wrongdoing, calling it a “consensual encounter.” Fairfax called it a “totally fabricated story” and questioned the timing.

“Such a shame this is weaponized and used as a smear because this is a very real issue,” Fairfax said.

The Big League Politics post that prompted Fairfax's denial published a purported Facebook post from the woman that read, “Imagine you were sexually assaulted during the DNC Convention in Boston in 2004 by a campaign staffer. You spend the next 13 years trying to forget it ever happened. Until one day you find out he’s the Democratic candidate for statewide office in a state some 3000 miles away, and he wins that election in November 2017. Then, by strange, horrible luck, it seems increasingly likely that he’ll get a VERY BIG promotion.”
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/washpost-pushes-back-against-justin-fairfax-statement-on-sexual-assault-allegation

Seems worse than Ford.  In this case we know the two met and had some kind of sexual encounter.  In Ford's case not one person she identified even recalls the event.   
In this even we have no names person...and a denial.  Rather than a person willing to come forward, begging for a full investigation and willing to testify in front of congress.  And for a lifetime appointment rather than a one term position.

Worse?  By no measure is it worse.

Investigate it...fine...bring it on rather than how Kavanaugh was defended no matter what.

Seems worse than Ford.  In this case we know the two met and had some kind of sexual encounter.  In Ford's case not one person she identified even recalls the event.   
Pretty crazy we still have Ford truthers running around even after her own friends denied the event took place.

In this even we have no names person...and a denial.  Rather than a person willing to come forward, begging for a full investigation and willing to testify in front of congress.  And for a lifetime appointment rather than a one term position.

Worse?  By no measure is it worse.

Investigate it...fine...bring it on rather than how Kavanaugh was defended no matter what.
Why do we need a name?  He has admitted there was at least consensual sex.  With Ford there was no sex and it seems like the story grew in her mind just recently.

The Big League Politics post that prompted Fairfax's denial published a purported Facebook post from the woman that read,
Ok, this is from BLP:

A friend of ____’s named Adria Scharf, based in Richmond, Virginia, shared the “heartbreaking” message, which ____wrote as a private post.
Let me see if I have this right - a friend of the accuser's on Facebook took a snip of a post by the accuser and sent that to BLP, and that is the basis of the story?

Why do we need a name?  He has admitted there was at least consensual sex.  With Ford there was no sex and it seems like the story grew in her mind just recently.
An anonymous allegation doesn’t hold much credibility compared to Ford.

And no...I respectfully disagree that it just seemed like it grew in her mind just recently.

If this woman's story seems credible then, yeah, I think it should be investigated for sure.

ETA:  And if the investigation suggests he sexually assaulted her, he should resign.
more is coming out - Fairfax admits the sex and the encounter 

far more facts right now on Fairfax .... the woman says he assaulted her

why shouldn't we believe her? why wait? Fairfax is guilty based on the woman saying he did it, right ?

You know...

You're not the worst poster on this board but you better hope he doesn't die.
I hope people I don't know anything about doesn't die either !

Look, either crucify Fairfax right now and believe the woman and her accusations or just say its a double standard because you want to see Fairfax in politics and his position and you don't want to believe what as of right now is a he said she said. Which isn't how Kavanaugh was treated by Democrats but hey, admit the double standard and hypocrisy and own it right ?

more is coming out - Fairfax admits the sex and the encounter 

far more facts right now on Fairfax .... the woman says he assaulted her

why shouldn't we believe her? why wait? Fairfax is guilty based on the woman saying he did it, right ?
Yes.  Women don't make up these kind of stories.

And no...I respectfully disagree that it just seemed like it grew in her mind just recently.
Anonymous?  He knows who she is.  Her name is just not public.   Women never lie about this stuff we were told. 

It doesn't carry any credibility as far as I am concerned. Would any of the usual, um, crowd have accepted an anonymous allegation against Kavanaugh? They wouldn't accept Ford's allegations after she came forward and testified. And now we are supposed to accept as gospel the word of an unidentified woman when we have no way to judge her credibility.

We are little past the semantics here in this story.  
That's not a semantics point. I'm not arguing meanings here.

Ford wrote a letter to a US Congresswoman, which then was given to a US Senator. Ultimately she testified before Congress under oath.

So far this accuser has contacted WaPo, which did not run the story, and a friend of hers provided a snip of a Facebook post to BLP. At some point, if you want to make this comp, this woman has to come forward like Ford. Otherwise, until then, it's not the same. A private Facebook post is not going to cut it.

Yes.  Women don't make up these kind of stories.
Democrats said they didn't with Ford

me?   I'd like to see proof but we didn't get any of that with Kavanaugh, the left absolutely tried to burn him at the stake with 0 proof

we have proof of Fairfax as its being reported, he admitted the sex and encounter

remember - most Democrats STILL believe Kavanaugh tried to assault Ford ........... but they want to wait on Fairfax because they like one of their own and the word of the woman isn't good enough, they want massive proof

right ?

It doesn't carry any credibility as far as I am concerned. Would any of the usual, um, crowd have accepted an anonymous allegation against Kavanaugh? They wouldn't accept Ford's allegations after she came forward and testified. And now we are supposed to accept as gospel the word of an unidentified woman when we have no way to judge her credibility.
I’m all for giving Fairfax the benefit of the doubt here. I also believed Kavanaugh. Maybe I’m wrong on one or both but I haven’t seen enough to make me want to condemn or dismiss either of them from service. 

That's because you believe potential sexual assault victims based on politics.   They either get the benefit of the doubt or not.  

That's because you believe potential sexual assault victims based on politics.   They either get the benefit of the doubt or not.  
That isn't true. I base it on how credible the person seems who is making the accusation and whether there were contemporaneous accounts to family, friends or co-workers about the incident or after the fact before they went public with the accusations. IIRC, Ford told her therapist about Kavanaugh (although she made not have named him by name) and then her husband shortly after they were married. And I watched Ford's testimony and it rang true to me.  

How can I give someone the benefit of the doubt when they remain anonymous and won't come forward to face the person they are accusing?

Seems like we could just cut and paste posts from the Kavanaugh thread and have a field day...

"Do a lot of women, knowing they're going to be dragged through the mud in the national limelight, make false accusations of traumatic sexual assaults?   Is this really what you think is happening?"

That isn't true. I base it on how credible the person seems who is making the accusation and whether there were contemporaneous accounts to family, friends or co-workers about the incident or after the fact before they went public with the accusations. IIRC, Ford told her therapist about Kavanaugh (although she made not have named him by name) and then her husband shortly after they were married. And I watched Ford's testimony and it rang true to me.  

How can I give someone the benefit of the doubt when they remain anonymous and won't come forward to face the person they are accusing?
So you have no issue with anyone that did not find Ford to be credible?

You believe women must publicly release their name to be deemed credible?

"I’m sure lots of people don’t care if he tried to rape one or a dozen or a hundred girls."

So you have no issue with anyone that did not find Ford to be credible?

You believe women must publicly release their name to be deemed credible?
You either find her credible or you don't. I did.

If a woman is making a sexual assault allegation against a public figure, then she must be willing to put her name to it and come forward for us to judge her credibility, like Ford did. Otherwise it is just an unsubstantiated allegation and no better than an anonymous source.

If a woman is making a sexual assault allegation against a public figure, then she must be willing to put her name to it and come forward for us to judge her credibility, like Ford did. Otherwise it is just an unsubstantiated allegation and no better than an anonymous source.
That seems inconsistent with the theme of the Ford thread.   So as soon as this woman's name is public you will believe her?

I hope people I don't know anything about doesn't die either !

Look, either crucify Fairfax right now and believe the woman and her accusations or just say its a double standard because you want to see Fairfax in politics and his position and you don't want to believe what as of right now is a he said she said. Which isn't how Kavanaugh was treated by Democrats but hey, admit the double standard and hypocrisy and own it right ?
So then you now believe all the women who have accused Trump? 

That seems inconsistent with the theme of the Ford thread.   So as soon as this woman's name is public you will believe her?
Of course not, I have to see what she has to say, what proof she has, what contemporaneous reports there were and what fact checkers have verified. I didn't believe Ford just based on her going public, it was not until after I viewed her sworn testimony at the hearing.

Your act fools no one. Everything you do in here is along party lines.....we all know that’s the basis. We get it. 

As I wrote I believed Ford and still do. It sure sounds like I will believe this woman as well. 

There have been a couple of statements in this thread that I can’t find any confirmation of elsewhere. The main one is that Fairfax has admitted to knowing his accuser and having had consensual sex with her. Is there a link to that? 

Users who are viewing this thread