What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too (1 Viewer)

I clicked on Mark Levin for about 30 seconds: 

Why didn’t the Washington Post discover this yearbook months ago? Because they were too busy looking at Trump that’s why! And Kavanaugh! When it comes to conservatives they’re like proctologists! But liberals like Northam they leave alone. 

I turned it off.

He needs to step down.  End of discussion.  There's no excuse for this.  I don't care what year it was. He was adult.  I don't care what political party he's affiliated with.  I don't care about the statw of the country or social beliefs then or now.  

Ah got confused. Sorry matttyl. 

GoBirds why did you write that? 
“He’s only 24”....another was edited.

I do get the other posts talking about it being a different time and it was...but no way this flies now regardless. Guy that resigned last week wasn’t this bad.

I posted somewhere recently that I dressed up in blackface in 8th grade. I did a history project/presentation as jazz/bop saxophonist Charlie Parker. I play saxophone, and I had just started getting into jazz at the time, and the Charlie Parker Omnibook was (still is?) the gold standard for jazz saxophone. 

If I were a politician, and pictures of me as The Bird had come to light today, would I be done? Certainly wouldn’t let my kids dress in blackface, but it didn’t seem to be a huge deal in the 80’s. 

He needs to step down.  End of discussion.  There's no excuse for this.  I don't care what year it was. He was adult.  I don't care what political party he's affiliated with.  I don't care about the statw of the country or social beliefs then or now.  
I disagree. 

Firat off I don’t know anything about Northam. I never even heard of Northam until yesterday when I started the late term abortion thread based on his comments. I knew there was a Dem who beat Gillespie but I couldn’t remember his name. Maybe Northam is a racist #### and maybe he isn’t, I have no idea. 

If story about Kavanaugh had been true I would have wanted him voted down but that’s different, that’s attempted rape, that’s harming another person. This is a dumb and offensive photograph which at worst shows that once upon a time this guy was a stupid racist. It doesn’t say anything about what kind of guy he is today. If it were up to me I wouldn’t be ready to throw him overboard for it. Not yet. Not unless it’s shown to be  truly representative of the man. 

My opinion has nothing to do with his politics either. I just think it’s a premature judgment at this point. 

Does he like beer?

Could just be a drinking game.

I was in the area in 1984, and we had some crazy drinking games.

That guy was also mocking the poor black victims of hurricane Katrina IIRC. 
It’s reprehensible for sure. But he apologized right? 

As long as you don’t actually hurt other people (these are photographs) apologies go a long way with me. Maybe I’m naive but I like to forgive people when I can. 

First presidential candidate to call for Northam's resignation.

Julián Castro‏ @JulianCastro 21m21 minutes ago

It doesn’t matter if he is a Republican or a Democrat. This behavior was racist and unconscionable. Governor Northam should resign.

As long as you don’t actually hurt other people (these are photographs) apologies go a long way with me. Maybe I’m naive but I like to forgive people when I can. 
That makes sense Tim but no way you think that actually flies in today’s society right? 

Let me preface this with a few things.

I'm drunk. I like Northam, and I'm a liberal. But I don't really care if he has to take the fall to prove a point. To demonstrate that this is not cool is important enough that a rich dude losing his political career is a an acceptable casualty, imo.

But 1984 was a very long time ago. Far closer to segregation being the norm in the South than it is to today.

I went to college in the late 90's in NC. The things that seemed acceptable then, thankfully, are far different than what we consider acceptable now. In my fraternity, as of the year 2000, we still had something called the "Sharecropper's Ball". For that party, as of the early 90's, they still had people in black face pretend to pick cotton during the party. Most everybody in the fraternity had a confederate flag in their room (though the "nuanced" guys had the real flag, not the battle flag). The initiation robe closely resembled the KKK robe/hood. This was a regular mainstream fraternity.

Now, I hated this fraternity, and only lasted a couple years. But it wasn't for any of the above. I wouldn't have considered these guys to be racist back then. They were just eastern NC ########s (from a lot of money, which is the main reason I didn't like them. I was a poor kid paying my own way through school, and we never saw eye-to-eye). And they were born in a time where this sort of stuff was acceptable. I didn't like these dudes for a lot of reasons, but at the time, they were just normal dudes (and quite popular I might add). 

Again, I have no idea if Northam will survive this politically. Or should. Like I said, I don't care. Just adding my own anecdotal experience from a southern school in the 90's. And Northam is at least 20 years older than I am.
Assuming the were born around 1980, by the time they were in their formative years, there’s no way to argue that outward expressions like this were acceptable. Sure they existed, but it certainly wasn’t considered ok in the nineties!

I disagree. 

Firat off I don’t know anything about Northam. I never even heard of Northam until yesterday when I started the late term abortion thread based on his comments. I knew there was a Dem who beat Gillespie but I couldn’t remember his name. Maybe Northam is a racist #### and maybe he isn’t, I have no idea. 

If story about Kavanaugh had been true I would have wanted him voted down but that’s different, that’s attempted rape, that’s harming another person. This is a dumb and offensive photograph which at worst shows that once upon a time this guy was a stupid racist. It doesn’t say anything about what kind of guy he is today. If it were up to me I wouldn’t be ready to throw him overboard for it. Not yet. Not unless it’s shown to be  truly representative of the man. 

My opinion has nothing to do with his politics either. I just think it’s a premature judgment at this point. 
I'll only respond to say that I respect your opinion and understand that we disagree.  I'm steadfast in my opinion on this.  There is no place for this in today's political climate, or society for that matter.  I understand it was 30 years ago, but there can't be a double standard where the President is called racist, but the Democrats are given a pass, because it occurred when he was younger.  Again, he was an adult when he made this decision.  

That makes sense Tim but no way you think that actually flies in today’s society right? 
Of course it doesn’t.  But the picture is from 1984 and you can’t erase the past. Should a mans life be destroyed because of a joke 30 years ago?  Especially if he has changed and completely stood for anti-racism in recent years?

I went to college in the late 90's in NC. The things that seemed acceptable then, thankfully, are far different than what we consider acceptable now. In my fraternity, as of the year 2000, we still had something called the "Sharecropper's Ball". For that party, as of the early 90's, they still had people in black face pretend to pick cotton during the party. Most everybody in the fraternity had a confederate flag in their room (though the "nuanced" guys had the real flag, not the battle flag). The initiation robe closely resembled the KKK robe/hood. This was a regular mainstream fraternity.
Again, assuming this is the 1990s, this isn't even a close call.

Of course it doesn’t.  But the picture is from 1984 and you can’t erase the past. Should a mans life be destroyed because of a joke 30 years ago?  Especially if he has changed and completely stood for anti-racism in recent years?
He can go back to being a doctor; that it is not life destruction. I don’t want him representing my state as governor.

I agree with a lot of this and understand your point but that’s not the day and age we live in. Things that turn up from 30 years ago can and will ruin your life and the whole world will know on social media. 

Here's a tip: when you make a terrible generalization about Trump critics, just cut your losses. Don't double down on your false narratives.

In 1984 Robert Byrd was in his third term as a US Senator. The guy wouldn't get elected today.  Different times.  Get a picture or video of Northam in the past 20 years doing something like this, as an "adult", bury him.

No. I don’t care what Trump has normalized. This cannot and must not be tolerated. He ceded his right to public office when he curated that page, no matter how long ago. And if anyone doesn’t understand this, then chances are they are a racist.  If his exuse is that he was a racist, but has reformed, then maybe he can appeal on those grounds. Anything else is intolerable. 
I can’t wait for him to resign, he’s awful all around. Nice work sneaking a Trump jab in too, knew you couldn’t resist. 

I really don`t like judging a persons life on what they do in their early 20s. 

Was it Halloween?  Those costumes were just considered costumes in 1984 before social media.
I went to a lot of costume parties in the 80's and nobody was ever dressed in black face or a Klan member. Of course most were Catholic so that #### wasn't funny then or now. 

He knows the black face would be the better of the two which is why he didn’t specify...he is the klansman...

Can anyone think of a worse picture he could have taken...Hitler...Manson...Bundy...He’s gone...just a matter of time...the quicker the better for him and his family...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a lot of costume parties in the 80's and nobody was ever dressed in black face or a Klan member. Of course most were Catholic so that #### wasn't funny then or now. 
Not even if it's done by one of the greatest satirical filmmakers?

I’m terrible at pasting tweets but:

To add to the shock, a page from Northam's yearbook at the Virginia Military Institute listed one of his nicknames as "Coonman," a racial slur. Story from @Grace_Segers cbsnews.com/news/ralph-nor…

archive.org/details/bomb19…

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that he’s going to resign. I get that it’s inevitable.

i just don’t like it. I’m in favor of political correctness. I’m in favor of the Me Too movement. I hate racism and bigotry and people in this forum tell me that I see it too often: I reject that. I see it when I see it. 

But I just don’t like this. I feel like we’re becoming too much of a mob society, too unforgiving, too judgmental. It’s not a good thing IMO. 

It’s the first day of black history month. The only thing he has going for him is Super Bowl weekend and the NBA trade deadline lol....and Of course Trump has a whole weekend to do something ridiculous and bury the story on the back page...

It’s the first day of black history month. The only thing he has going for him is Super Bowl weekend and the NBA trade deadline lol....and Of course Trump has a whole weekend to do something ridiculous and bury the story on the back page...
He’s thinking, “If I can lay low until the state of the union...”

I’m guessing he’s gone, not sure if that’s a shame or not for Virginia as I have never seen and barely heard of this guy before this.

I’m terrible at pasting tweets but:

To add to the shock, a page from Northam's yearbook at the Virginia Military Institute listed one of his nicknames as "Coonman," a racial slur. Story from @Grace_Segers cbsnews.com/news/ralph-nor…

archive.org/details/bomb19…
Could be that he was an avid raccoon hunter. Maybe had a bunch of coon dogs. 

I know that he’s going to resign. I get that it’s inevitable.

i just don’t like it. I’m in favor of political correctness. I’m in favor of the Me Too movement. I hate racism and bigotry and people in this forum tell me that I see it too often: I reject that. I see it when I see it. 

But I just don’t like this. I feel like we’re becoming too much of a mob society, too unforgiving, too judgmental. It’s not a good thing IMO. 
I’m worried about you Tim....in the white privilege thread you compared posters in here to white supremecist but now you are coming the the defense of a politician shown dressed as a white supremecist? You’ve got them mixed up. 😁

@jonessed

Watching some coverage of this now and someone brought up a good point. How does a medical school allow this to be published. Obviously different times. Anyway, I’m of the belief you pay for your past. I have no dog in this fight...I once voted for Darth Vader...WTF was I thinking....

So I'm understanding, you think this is something you can just apologize for and keep your job?

I'm torn.  You should hold people accountable, but for me accountability for past mistakes goes a long way.

He was hired for the job based on his actions and performance and perception of what he'd do for the community.  If he has a long track record of behaving admirably since this time, and owns up to the mistake and says he's moved on, I have a hard time not accepting that.

Same thing with Kavanaugh.  Had he owned up to being an ####### in college/high school, said he drank way too much, but has spent his adult life being the kind of person he should've been, that would've gone a long way with me, rather than lying about it all.

We live in a society where there seems to be no path for folks who have made mistakes in their past.  This for sure was a mistake, but is it one that invalidates the rest of someone's life?  Tough call.

So I'm understanding, you think this is something you can just apologize for and keep your job?
Maybe. Sometimes. I don’t know. 

I just hate the rush to judgment. News comes out, 30 minutes later he has to resign. I want to know more. What’s the story behind it? What has he been like in the years inbetween? 

When I know that stuff then I can answer you. Not now. But I get that I’m probably on an island here. 

Second presidential candidate calls on Northam to resign.

Kamala Harris‏ @KamalaHarris 53m53 minutes ago

Leaders are called to a higher standard, and the stain of racism should have no place in the halls of government. The Governor of Virginia should step aside so the public can heal and move forward together.

I'm torn.  You should hold people accountable, but for me accountability for past mistakes goes a long way.

He was hired for the job based on his actions and performance and perception of what he'd do for the community.  If he has a long track record of behaving admirably since this time, and owns up to the mistake and says he's moved on, I have a hard time not accepting that.

Same thing with Kavanaugh.  Had he owned up to being an ####### in college/high school, said he drank way too much, but has spent his adult life being the kind of person he should've been, that would've gone a long way with me, rather than lying about it all.

We live in a society where there seems to be no path for folks who have made mistakes in their past.  This for sure was a mistake, but is it one that invalidates the rest of someone's life?  Tough call.
The difference with Kavanaugh, if the charge was true, was that he hurt somebody else. That should not be forgiven. It’s a big distinction with me. As bad as these stories are (Northam and the guy in Florida) you’re talking about photographs. 

Users who are viewing this thread