What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too (1 Viewer)

Fairfax is highly respected among Democrats in Virginia, and sat out a Robert E. Lee tribute by the state on MLK day last week that he was supposed to preside over in the state legislature. So they will be a great position IMO.
Thanks. So could one make the case even if Northram resigns, they'll not be in a worse place than they were before? And in what would be a crazy turn, maybe even in a possibly better spot if the new person in charge is excellent?

Thanks. So could one make the case even if Northram resigns, they'll not be in a worse place than they were before? And in what would be a crazy turn, maybe even in a possibly better spot if the new person in charge is excellent?
Yes, I was watching a panel discussion on MSNBC AmJoy this morning of progressives who were mostly African American and they all thought it would turn out for the best for Virginia and the Democratic Party nationally if Fairfax were to step in.

For the timing of the picture release, I know some people who think most news breaks are "messages" and retaliation. "You do this and we'll release 'the picture' ". I'd always thought that was mostly conspiracy stuff but I can easily see how it could happen. Especially in cases like this. 
If Northam knew that someone was threatening to release the picture, then he should have resigned or he should have immediately addressed the issue with the public. Otherwise his entire tenure would be compromised by the specter of blackmail.

Actually, if he remembered the picture at all then he should have addressed it during the campaign. Let the voters decide if his youthful 'indiscretion' can be forgiven or not.

If Northam knew that someone was threatening to release the picture, then he should have resigned or he should have immediately addressed the issue with the public. Otherwise his entire tenure would be compromised by the specter of blackmail.

Actually, if he remembered the picture at all then he should have addressed it during the campaign. Let the voters decide if his youthful 'indiscretion' can be forgiven or not.
These are very compelling arguments. 

Not sure I’d go that far.  Going from a ~60 year old pediatric neurosurgeon with prior military experience to a guy 20 years younger who up until a month before the election had a license plate of “Stunna” (so I’ve been told - I’m a Virginian) seems a bit of a step down in terms of someone who can lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little confused how he wasn't sure whether or not that was him in the photo last night.  Last night it was him, today it's not.  If someone approached me and said this is you in blackface or a KKK robe I could affirmatively say immediately, "No that's not me.  I've never done either". 

If it's not him and somehow it's a mistake that picture was put on his page then I think it's fair to give him a shot to make that case.  But again I think I'd know if even a photo of someone else who had been confused with me had ended up on my yearbook page and I'd have a better answer than he had last night if that was the case.

Also, as someone brought up earlier, there's little doubt in my mind this came up due to the infanticide comments he made earlier.  Someone knew this was out there and those comments motivated someone to try and torpedo his career.

The entire thing is so baffling I can't digest it.

I'm a little confused how he wasn't sure whether or not that was him in the photo last night.  Last night it was him, today it's not.  If someone approached me and said this is you in blackface or a KKK robe I could affirmatively say immediately, "No that's not me.  I've never done either". 

If it's not him and somehow it's a mistake that picture was put on his page then I think it's fair to give him a shot to make that case.  But again I think I'd know if even a photo of someone else who had been confused with me had ended up on my yearbook page and I'd have a better answer than he had last night if that was the case.

Also, as someone brought up earlier, there's little doubt in my mind this came up due to the infanticide comments he made earlier.  Someone knew this was out there and those comments motivated someone to try and torpedo his career.
Agreed.

None of this makes sense. Not one bit of it. 

Not sure I’d go that far.  Going from a ~60 year old pediatric neurosurgeon with prior military experience to a guy 20 years younger who up until a month before the election had a license plate of “Stunna” (so I’ve been told - I’m a Virginian) seems a bit of a step down in terms of someone who can lead.
He’ll get a chance to prove himself. You know how football fans are always excited when the new QB comes off the bench that they’ve never seen before? No matter how little they know about the guy, they’re always hoping for some kind of magic. It’s the same phenomenon here. 

Thanks. I'd love to have some links or your thoughts on Northram's words. And more generally, how widespread you feel late term abortion is supported by most and the slippery slope of how the "line" can move. You can send me a PM or start a new thread if that's easier.
Here's one of the players involved defending her comments.

Again, a hallmark of our society is to take snippets of folks conversations that seem designed to outrage folks on sensitive subjects, and imply that it's 100% what they intended to say fully, and that there's no nuance.

Media these days, in all forms, is geared to cause us to react, emotionally, and the strongest of those is anger and frustration and righteousness.  I'm naturally skeptical of ANY news stories that cause me to have this reaction, because almost always there's more nuance there, behind the scenes, that's left out in order to drive readers to a story.

I don't feel that late term abortion has widespread support.  There aren't a ton of folks I'm aware of who are OK with it in anything but absolutely dire situations where the mother will die imminently.  In fact, I've known a woman who died because she was unwilling to sacrifice the life of her baby at a late stage, where this kind of procedure would be the only thing that could save her.  The baby lived, she died.  Was it the right outcome? I don't know.

But I do know that most folks treat the late term abortion conversation tenderly, and that most folks have respect for life, and for the well-being of the unborn child.  

I don't know how VA stuff works. If Northram resigns, the Lt. Governor becomes governor? What's he like? In other words, for Democrats, if they lose Northram are they still in a good position for power? 
I think he’ll be great. Young, but former federal prosecutor and has consistently impressed me since he first ran for AG 5-6 years ago. He would have been the favorite for the Democratic Governor candidate in 2021 (probably would have gone head to head with the person who beat him for AG back in his AG race).

The one term limit rule won’t apply to Fairfax, so he can run as an incumbent in 2021. So, I think Democrats would still be in a good position with Fairfax.

I think he’ll be great. Young, but former federal prosecutor and has consistently impressed me since he first ran for AG 5-6 years ago. He would have been the favorite for the Democratic Governor candidate in 2021 (probably would have gone head to head with the person who beat him for AG back in his AG race).

The one term limit rule won’t apply to Fairfax, so he can run as an incumbent in 2021. So, I think Democrats would still be in a good position with Fairfax.
Virginia has a one term limit rule? That’s incredibly foolish IMO

I am saying that this type of mistake is common on both sides and there are numerous examples over the last decade if one wants to look it up. I seriously doubt that it was intentional on the part of CNN to label him as a Republican.
It’s the natural instinct of their bias. 

Also so love seeing throw out the bowf sidez after always knocking it. 

The entire thing is so baffling I can't digest it.
What is baffling to you? The fact that he dressed up and posed for the picture? The fact that it didn't become public until 2019? The fact that many people are calling for him to resign (or the fact that some people are saying he shouldn't resign)?

I don't think any of it is baffling. Northam grew up in an environment where racial insensitivity was tolerated for years. It doesn't surprise me at all that someone who grew up in that environment would think it's "No big deal" to wear a racially insensitive costume, then pose for a picture, then approve that picture's publication.

I think you have been told wrong and that may be an urban legend. I just did a Google search for Justin Fairfax+ license plate and Justin Fairfax+Stunna and couldn't find anything (although perhaps I wasn't using the right search terms).

The governor has a 2:30 press conference. Any chance he says the two in the picture are Squi and PJ after one too many brewskies?

I am saying that this type of mistake is common on both sides and there are numerous examples over the last decade if one wants to look it up. I seriously doubt that it was intentional on the part of CNN to label him as a Republican.
It’s the natural instinct of their bias. 

Also so love seeing throw out the bowf sidez after always knocking it. 
His point was that these chyron mistakes are isolated and aren't limited to any political leaning. Then he backed up that point with links.

Your post brought nothing to the conversation.

Joe Bryant said:
Who needs video or cameras? This wasn't accidentally caught secretly on a cell phone. THIS WAS THE PHOTO CHOSEN FOR HIS YEARBOOK.
The photo being in the yearbook makes this crazy. This isn't a picture somebody dug out of their attic. It is so crazy on all levels. How racist was this med school?

It is pretty clear he was very racist as a young man. If he has had life experiences that has had him change his views he needs to come clean and express this. Otherwise resign.

His point was that these chyron mistakes are isolated and aren't limited to any political leaning. Then he backed up that point with links.

Like your initial post calling him 24 and immature? Just immaturity eh.....great contribution helping show what blinders you have on. Party first all the time in here for you. 

The photo being in the yearbook makes this crazy. This isn't a picture somebody dug out of their attic. It is so crazy on all levels. How racist was this med school?

It is pretty clear he was very racist as a young man. If he has had life experiences that has had him change his views he needs to come clean and express this. Otherwise resign.
It's odd to me that folks see this as proof he was a racist.  I think this is proof that at this point in his life he had poor judgment, was incredibly insensitive, and perhaps enjoyed shocking people's sensibilities.

But to me, if he was truly racist, this isn't a picture he'd have selected.  I'm fairly sure that advertising blatant racism was not OK at that time, in that place, but rather this picture was seen as showing something else, but in today's climate, in a broader context than just the recipients of that yearbook, it's a sign of something else.

Sounds like complete lies don’t you think? Is he claiming someone snuck this in the yearbook? Last night he said it was him but now it wasn’t as maybe he confused it with another time he dressed as KKK.....what a mess he seems to be making even bigger. 

What a sellout , a true Stunna wouldn’t give up his vanity plate. This should be fun. 😣

Like your initial post calling him 24 and immature? Just immaturity eh.....great contribution helping show what blinders you have on. Party first all the time in here for you. 
How do you not recognize sarcasm, dude? I even put the emoticon in there just in case there was any doubt.

[scooter] said:
shader said:
Poor joke but he was a kid. And was the joke as tasteless then as it is now?
Well, he was just 24 years old and in medical school. If that doesn't define immaturity, I don't know what does. :mellow:

I don't know if it's him or not and quite honestly I don't care.  What I have really noticed with this incident is how differently the "sides" treat this sort of thing.  Look at how King was handled by the GOP and their supporters and look at how Northam is being handled by the Dems and their supporters.  It's quite a difference IMO.  One that everyone should be paying close attention to.
Same with Al Franken.  He was immediately call upon to resign and he did. 

Everything, including allegations of being a child molester, and republicans circle the wagons.  I hate that I considered myself a republican for over a decade.

What is baffling to you? The fact that he dressed up and posed for the picture? The fact that it didn't become public until 2019? The fact that many people are calling for him to resign (or the fact that some people are saying he shouldn't resign)?

I don't think any of it is baffling. Northam grew up in an environment where racial insensitivity was tolerated for years. It doesn't surprise me at all that someone who grew up in that environment would think it's "No big deal" to wear a racially insensitive costume, then pose for a picture, then approve that picture's publication.
So this is where you blame the South for his actions I assume? Please expand on this terrible environment he grew up in that this wouldn’t be a big deal? 

I’m sure you would act just the same if there was an (R) next to his name on all stations not just CNN?

This is beyond baffling and pretty disgusting. 

So this is where you blame the South for his actions I assume? Please expand on this terrible environment he grew up in that this wouldn’t be a big deal? 

I’m sure you would act just the same if there was an (R) next to his name on all stations not just CNN?

This is beyond baffling and pretty disgusting. 
You really need a history lesson here? You really need evidence that Virginia tolerated racism in the '60s?

I mean, let me know if you're really that ignorant. I don't have time to go through it all but I'm sure Tim's got a few things cued up that he could let you know about. :lol:

I think you have been told wrong and that may be an urban legend. I just did a Google search for Justin Fairfax+ license plate and Justin Fairfax+Stunna and couldn't find anything (although perhaps I wasn't using the right search terms).
I couldn’t either.  Heard from a friend who was his neighbor.  Of course, if 36 hours ago I told you that the governor of Virginia used to dress up like he was in the KKK, you would have found that hard to believe as well.

It's odd to me that folks see this as proof he was a racist.  I think this is proof that at this point in his life he had poor judgment, was incredibly insensitive, and perhaps enjoyed shocking people's sensibilities.

But to me, if he was truly racist, this isn't a picture he'd have selected.  I'm fairly sure that advertising blatant racism was not OK at that time, in that place, but rather this picture was seen as showing something else, but in today's climate, in a broader context than just the recipients of that yearbook, it's a sign of something else.
It is evidence of terrible judgement and racism. He needed to be really racist to remotely think this is OK. It is horrifying to think of what they were doing in these costumes before this picture.

Same with Al Franken.  He was immediately call upon to resign and he did. 

Everything, including allegations of being a child molester, and republicans circle the wagons.  I hate that I considered myself a republican for over a decade.
I hate to defend Republicans but it’s important to note the different situations in these circumstances.  It’s “easy” for a party to turn on their own when that person will just be replaced by another member of their own party.  Dems criticizing Franken and Northam knew/know that their party won’t lose power if the guy resigns.  For Republicans to support Doug Jones over Roy Moore actually would represent a political sacrifice.  Which, yes, they should have made that sacrifice.  But I can’t think of any examples where Dems called on one of their own to resign where that would lead to a Republican getting the seat.  Most Dems were pretty quiet about Senator Menenedez this cycle even though he was credibly charged with corruption.

You really need a history lesson here? You really need evidence that Virginia tolerated racism in the '60s?

I mean, let me know if you're really that ignorant. I don't have time to go through it all but I'm sure Tim's got a few things cued up that he could let you know about. :lol:
You really need to take your blinders off. I live in Virginia and don’t need you or a Californian telling me about it. The excuses you make are pathetic but I love that you continually expose yourself as a party first follower that deserves the zero credibility you have. Sad but not surprising. 

My mom sent me a statement put out by EVMS:

EVMS The following is an important statement from Richard V. Homan, MD, EVMS President and Provost, Dean of the School of Medicine:  We share the outrage, alarm and sadness voiced by our alumni, the press and many on social media regarding the picture published in the 1984 student yearbook. The picture is shockingly abhorrent and absolutely antithetical to the principles, morals and values we hold and espouse of our educational and research institution and our professions. Racism and discrimination in any form is not acceptable.     We cannot change the events of the past, but we can use these events as reminders of the importance of our ongoing work toward diversity and inclusion. This is a time for self-reflection and humility. On behalf of our beloved EVMS, I sincerely apologize for the past transgressions of your trust. We recognize the need to address and rectify any issues of racism and discrimination that arise, at any point — and will continue a long tradition of action to build a strong culture of diversity and inclusion.   Therefore, I shall convene an urgent meeting of members of our senior leadership and members of our Boards to address this issue holistically for EVMS. We will, of course, include students, residents, faculty, staff, and alumni in this work.    It has been said that those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.  We must learn from this and will come together to support and live the values and principles we hold so dear.  We remain steadfast in reassuring our community that EVMS is absolutely committed to supporting and creating a culture of diversity, inclusion and social equality. We continue to affirm the tenets of our professions and our mission to recruit, educate and train a culturally competent healthcare workforce that reflects the demography of our nation and the patients we serve.

GoBirds there have been some elements of double standard involving aspects of this story and you’re right to point them out. But you’re overstating the case a little as well. 

I couldn’t either.  Heard from a friend who was his neighbor.  Of course, if 36 hours ago I told you that the governor of Virginia used to dress up like he was in the KKK, you would have found that hard to believe as well.
Fair enough.

You really need to take your blinders off. I live in Virginia and don’t need you or a Californian telling me about it. The excuses you make are pathetic but I love that you continually expose yourself as a party first follower that deserves the zero credibility you have. Sad but not surprising. 
I'm not a member of the Democrat party. I'm a former Republican who will remain an independent as long as ~35% of the Republican party supports people like Trump.

You live in a state that tolerated racism for hundreds of years, well into the years in which Ralph Northam grew up.

If you cannot recognize or reconcile that fact, then I would suggest that you are the one who needs to remove his blinders.

What’s your prediction on that one? Raccoon related? 🦝 
It could be...maybe there is an innocent explanation, like it was a "drinking game" (cough cough) but as Jonathan Alter just said on MSNBC, if he can't adequately explain it, then after that taken with the Klan costume photo, he will have to step down.

Unless you stated a historical falsehood I would never attempt to lecture you or anybody else about civil rights history. Especially if you’re a resident of the South (which I didn’t know.) 

My daughters have both taken 20th Century American History in high school very recently, and one of my big criticisms is that they are fed story after story about the villainous South, without ever told about racial discrimination, often just as bad or worse, that took place in the north and the rest of the country. It’s revisionist history and it paints one region of the country much worse than all the rest. 

I'm not a member of the Democrat party. I'm a former Republican who will remain an independent as long as ~35% of the Republican party supports people like Trump.

You live in a state that tolerated racism for hundreds of years, well into the years in which Ralph Northam grew up.

If you cannot recognize or reconcile that fact, then I would suggest that you are the one who needs to remove his blinders.
Call yourself what you want, you are making excuses for an obvious racist based on not being an (R). I live in Virginia and don’t know anyone that dresses in a white hood. Have fun. 

I hate to defend Republicans but it’s important to note the different situations in these circumstances.  It’s “easy” for a party to turn on their own when that person will just be replaced by another member of their own party.  Dems criticizing Franken and Northam knew/know that their party won’t lose power if the guy resigns.  For Republicans to support Doug Jones over Roy Moore actually would represent a political sacrifice.  Which, yes, they should have made that sacrifice.  But I can’t think of any examples where Dems called on one of their own to resign where that would lead to a Republican getting the seat.  Most Dems were pretty quiet about Senator Menenedez this cycle even though he was credibly charged with corruption.
Fair point.  :thumbup:

BTW, the new talking point is how CNN labeled Northam an R in the chyron. From what I understand it was for 9 whole seconds. This is a VERY big deal to republicans on social media. 

See you guys Monday, going to get lit for two days with my friends. 

It could be...maybe there is an innocent explanation, like it was a "drinking game" (cough cough) but as Jonathan Alter just said on MSNBC, if he can't adequately explain it, then after that taken with the Klan costume photo, he will have to step down.
Glad we can agree this is going to make for great TV.  :banned:

Hopefully he makes the correct decision and ends this by stepping down. 

If you're going to make this kind of claim, the least you can do is provide a link to support it.

:sigh:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/24/fox-news-identifies-sanfo_n_220377.html

Fox News Identifies Mark Sanford As A Democrat

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2006/10/13/in-recent-weeks-media-outlets-have-misidentifie/136941

In recent weeks, media outlets have misidentified as Democrats several Republicans facing scandal, poor poll numbers

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2009/6/24/746456/-

Fox has mislabeled Republican scandals before, more picts
For people that pay attention, this is really really good stuff right here

I don't know where you live now, nor where you grew up - but I grew up in the 70's and early 80's in the Tidewater area - living on both sides of the water. 

Its a blue-collar area - and it was pretty racist.  Desegregation was still a thing in the 1970s.  Everyone mostly kept to their own - but I think that fueled more racist attitudes.  

Users who are viewing this thread