What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tax check (1 Viewer)

-OZ- said:
Man I hate waiting for the brokerages to send us the tax forms. 

Why do they take so much longer than employers?
My understanding is that the determination of ordinary vs qualified dividends can be relatively complex in some situations usually involving mutual funds.  In addition bond premium amortization and original issue discount require additional calculations. Some of those items won't affect most people but I guess the brokerages don't want to send forms piecemeal.

I’m just waiting to verify my church contributions. I track it myself, so I know the amount; but it would be nice to see it officially from them. When I log in online, it’s missing the first few contributions from 2019 because they switched systems so I really want to see something officially from my church. Once I square that away, I will file. Maybe I will just talk to someone tomorrow.

Do most of you still wait for documents in the mail? I track everything myself and then I just go to my online accounts to see all the forms and get the official numbers  

My oldest turns 17 this year. Good thing we feds got a decent pay bump to counter that $2k I now have to pay in taxes in 2020. 
Online, download. But I do want to see their numbers. 

Do you itemize?

I also need our receipt for child care.

Online, download. But I do want to see their numbers. 

Do you itemize?

I also need our receipt for child care.
Why do you need a receipt for child care? I track everything like @dgreen. Just have to filter by transaction type at year end. 

Why do you need a receipt for child care? I track everything like @dgreen. Just have to filter by transaction type at year end. 
Proof? 

My friend the tax expert (she does international business tax) recommended getting the receipt. 

Honestly I don't track expenses that closely. 

Proof? 

My friend the tax expert (she does international business tax) recommended getting the receipt. 

Honestly I don't track expenses that closely. 
It isn't needed to file. If you don't track closely then that makes sense though. 

-OZ- said:
Man I hate waiting for the brokerages to send us the tax forms. 

Why do they take so much longer than employers?
Any K1s?  Those things take forever.  

If you don't mind me asking, why do you overpay your taxes so badly? 
I'm not Oz, but I had us set it up that way to curb my wife's discretionary spending. The account balance is suppressed during the year and we agreed on a floor years ago - she sees it getting near there late in the month and the spending magically stops. Then when the refund comes in funnel the money to appropriate buckets immediately so it's only reflected in the checking account for a day or two.

Out-of-sight out-of-mind. 

If you don't mind me asking, why do you overpay your taxes so badly? 
I claim the maximum exemptions allowed by HR for my job and have no taxes taken out of my pension. 

Refundable tax credits are great. We're among the 44% who don't really pay income taxes. Despite earning 6 figures. The tax code is kind of stupid in this regard but we'll take it. 

I'm not Oz, but I had us set it up that way to curb my wife's discretionary spending. The account balance is suppressed during the year and we agreed on a floor years ago - she sees it getting near there late in the month and the spending magically stops. Then when the refund comes in funnel the money to appropriate buckets immediately so it's only reflected in the checking account for a day or two.

Out-of-sight out-of-mind. 
Makes sense, Although in your case I'd find ways to contribute to investments before she sees the money in checking. 

I claim the maximum exemptions allowed by HR for my job and have no taxes taken out of my pension. 

Refundable tax credits are great. We're among the 44% who don't really pay income taxes. Despite earning 6 figures. The tax code is kind of stupid in this regard but we'll take it. 
Explain?

Ok, good, congrats on that. Many times when I see folks that overpay, it's more due to things like the previous response where it is about curbing irresponsible spending. Glad to see it isn't the case for you.

@-OZ- has so many kids it's almost impossible not to get a refund.  Assuming his income is under $400,000 he would receive a $2,000 credit per child under 16, up to $1,400 of which is refundable even if his income tax liability is zero.  I'm pretty sure he has like 20 kids ;)  
That's pretty much it. 5 kids and I think this is our last year we'll get some back from the adoption credits.

Ok, good, congrats on that. Many times when I see folks that overpay, it's more due to things like the previous response where it is about curbing irresponsible spending. Glad to see it isn't the case for you.
That's one thing my wife definitely gets right. She's not a total tight wad, but her tastes are reasonable.  ( Other than wanting her fiefdom)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well between the wife and me we make around 300K  a year.  Last year we were stuck for 8K after all of our deductions were no longer available.  This year we had all bonuses held back and claimed only ourselves on our taxes.  We have twin 16 year olds so hopefully we break at least even this year. 

Meanwhile wife and i both withhold 0 exemptions and still owe 3k in taxes. We make almost 200k combined. Pay almost 10k in state tax, 10k in mortgage interest, and 6k in real estate tax but still cant itemize. Also only one child. I feel like we are the perfect scenario in getting screwed. I might take my taxes to a cpa for the first time ever because despite my tax situation being simple i feel like im missing something.

That's one thing my wife definitely gets right. She's not a total tight wad, but her tastes are reasonable.  ( Other than wanting her fiefdom)
Mine is totally not a shopper. One of the things I loved about her right off the bat. Always looks great, but without paying to do so. Once I introduced her to savings, she got the bug bad! Loved when she saw the benefit of maxing her 401k (TSP) and IRA. She loves the monthly finance updates. 

Still waiting on an INT from the bank (not available till 2/16, wth?) and two DIV forms.

Meanwhile wife and i both withhold 0 exemptions and still owe 3k in taxes. We make almost 200k combined. Pay almost 10k in state tax, 10k in mortgage interest, and 6k in real estate tax but still cant itemize. Also only one child. I feel like we are the perfect scenario in getting screwed. I might take my taxes to a cpa for the first time ever because despite my tax situation being simple i feel like im missing something.
Your right where I was last year.  Right on the line to itemize or not.  Worst place to be.  For 2019 I prepaid my charity stuff.  It will save me 2k this tax year and 2k next by being away from the line.  If you can engineer it aim for being over one year and under the next.

So, who are the resident accountant/tax guys in the FFA? Have a question about the 100% bonus depreciation that went into the Tax Cuts/Job Act a couple years ago:

If you have $100,000 in taxable income and spent $100,000 on assets that qualify for the 100% bonus depreciation, does taking the deduction mean you owe $0 in federal taxes?

So, who are the resident accountant/tax guys in the FFA? Have a question about the 100% bonus depreciation that went into the Tax Cuts/Job Act a couple years ago:

If you have $100,000 in taxable income and spent $100,000 on assets that qualify for the 100% bonus depreciation, does taking the deduction mean you owe $0 in federal taxes?
Talk to a CPA because it's a bit more complex than that.  The answer is yes but it's likely not the smart thing to do.  If you're single you'd be losing out on the $12,200 standard deduction if you take the full $100K this year.  Plus the next $9,875 is in the 10% bracket. While if you depreciate say over 5 years you'd be saving 22% on $20,000 each year based on your tax bracket of $100K - the standard deduction.  Self Employment taxes come into play as well.  On the surface I'd section 179 (expense) enough to drop you from the 22% to 12% bracket and depreciate the rest.  Of course your other income/deductions come into play so I'd spend a couple hundred dollars and consult a tax professional if I were you. 

This is a much more complicated question than how you've posed it, and is dependent on your personal situation.  You should seek a CPA.

Single, homeowner, really simple taxes and I think I added an extra 2 allowances on my W4 last year and now I'm getting more money back....a lot!

Is it out of line to take up to 7 or 8 allowances on my W4?  This will be a nice unexpected bonus, but don't want to do it again.

Single, homeowner, really simple taxes and I think I added an extra 2 allowances on my W4 last year and now I'm getting more money back....a lot!

Is it out of line to take up to 7 or 8 allowances on my W4?  This will be a nice unexpected bonus, but don't want to do it again.
Pretty sure I have over 20 allowances and then add a specific dollar amount to withhold each pp to get it to where I want it. 

Allowance dont exist anymore so if you change you’re supposed to fill out a new W-4 which does awat with allowances. Something else must be going on because in the past the more allowance you have the less taxes are taken out.  Do you get bonuses or commission?  Usually those have more taxes taken out than normal wages

Allowance dont exist anymore so if you change you’re supposed to fill out a new W-4 which does awat with allowances. Something else must be going on because in the past the more allowance you have the less taxes are taken out.  Do you get bonuses or commission?  Usually those have more taxes taken out than normal wages
Nope...but I got a 30% raise halfway through the year.  That was the only significant change.

Pipes said:
Talk to a CPA because it's a bit more complex than that.  The answer is yes but it's likely not the smart thing to do.  If you're single you'd be losing out on the $12,200 standard deduction if you take the full $100K this year.  Plus the next $9,875 is in the 10% bracket. While if you depreciate say over 5 years you'd be saving 22% on $20,000 each year based on your tax bracket of $100K - the standard deduction.  Self Employment taxes come into play as well.  On the surface I'd section 179 (expense) enough to drop you from the 22% to 12% bracket and depreciate the rest.  Of course your other income/deductions come into play so I'd spend a couple hundred dollars and consult a tax professional if I were you. 
More specifically, this is for 2020. Definitely going to have a professional do our 2020 taxes, but trying to understand the possibilities we'll have this year. My wife started a business (single-member LLC) and we will be filing jointly. Guessing that for this year I'll have all the income (24% bracket) and she'll have plenty of deductions and minimal income the first year (mainly truck/SUV for the business, and acquiring all the assets (rather than inventory, since it's an event rental business.))

More specifically, this is for 2020. Definitely going to have a professional do our 2020 taxes, but trying to understand the possibilities we'll have this year. My wife started a business (single-member LLC) and we will be filing jointly. Guessing that for this year I'll have all the income (24% bracket) and she'll have plenty of deductions and minimal income the first year (mainly truck/SUV for the business, and acquiring all the assets (rather than inventory, since it's an event rental business.))
Yeah I'd talk with a CPA sometime in the spring.  You'll likely need to pay estimates 1st one due April 15th.  SE taxes are a ##### but there are things you can do to offset them like setting up a SEP (retirement) plan.  A CPA can guide you through that but it's easier cash flow wise to set up stuff like that earlier in the year as opposed to later.

Steve Tasker said:
This is a much more complicated question than how you've posed it, and is dependent on your personal situation.  You should seek a CPA.
I've been out of public accounting for a few years now....is section 179 still around where you essentially depreciate 100% of the asset in the first year? 

I've been out of public accounting for a few years now....is section 179 still around where you essentially depreciate 100% of the asset in the first year? 
Yes, it was extended as part of the TCJA.  Same old rules though - can't give you a loss, multiple layers of limitations at entity level and individual level, etc.  

Why do people count on deductions? It is so much easier to just have a specific amount taken out of the paycheck. Or do some places not have that capability?
Because my w4 is single 0 and I used to be able to deduct 20ishk and would get about 1k  but can't deduct 20k anymore because of the new laws 

There's actually a whole new w4 form now
These things are much more confusing. I haven't done a new form yet. Kind of worried how the numbers will come out so I've just left mine alone. Seems like what I have now should be on a good pace for 2020, but I probably should go ahead and do a new W4 soon so I can figure out how to manipulate it to get the numbers to be what I want.

These things are much more confusing. I haven't done a new form yet. Kind of worried how the numbers will come out so I've just left mine alone. Seems like what I have now should be on a good pace for 2020, but I probably should go ahead and do a new W4 soon so I can figure out how to manipulate it to get the numbers to be what I want.
I just changed mine using the new form. I will see how it works out and readjust if needed.

I just changed mine using the new form. I will see how it works out and readjust if needed.
I just helped my wife fill one out for a new job. So confusing. I have no idea how hers will come out but I'll just adjust mine as needed if it doesn't do a good job on hers.

I just helped my wife fill one out for a new job. So confusing. I have no idea how hers will come out but I'll just adjust mine as needed if it doesn't do a good job on hers.
They made them more confusing by making them less confusing.

I paid quite a bit more in taxes this year... due to reduced SALT deduction and child tax credits going away...

BTW... If you're new to TurboTax this link will get you 20% off and get me $10

https://fbuy.io/ne4xbdkm

That's pretty much it. 5 kids and I think this is our last year we'll get some back from the adoption credits.
Correction - last year was our last year getting the credit :(

So now I actually owe for the first time ever. Just $215, so I guess that's almost ideal. Filed... 

but now I'm told we can claim the child care tax credit as the wife was at St. Jude's for 4 months and we needed child care to allow me to work. So that should get us back to almost even.

problem is, HR block online doesn't seem to allow us to add the dependent care unless we have two W2s. Seems it should, as the rules allow for students and other exceptions. Has anyone dealt with this issue? 

i might just have to file hard copy this year. With the amended return anyway :bag:  

Filed.

Federal Tax as a % of AGI

• 2017 - 6.4%
  • 2018 - 7.0%
  • 2019 - 6.5%
I had 27 paychecks instead of the usual 26 in 2018 and my wife made a little more money that year, too.

Users who are viewing this thread