What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tax check (1 Viewer)

So I changed my W4 and the federal taxes taken out of my next check were $300 less. WTF? Can they make the new form any more confusing? 

Filed.

Federal Tax as a % of AGI

• 2017 - 6.4%
  • 2018 - 7.0%
  • 2019 - 6.5%
I had 27 paychecks instead of the usual 26 in 2018 and my wife made a little more money that year, too.
Federal Tax as a % of AGI

• 2017 - 5.6%
  • 2018 - 5.4%
  • 2019 - 9.6%  :shock:

Refinanced in October.  Original mortgage lender hadn't paid property taxes yet, so no 1098 from them. New mortgage company didn't have them on their 1098 either.  Title company sent me a 1098 but only contained a small amount of mortgage interest.  I see that the taxes where paid on my mortgage statement and I know the exact amount, so I went ahead and added it to my return and filed, but I don't have the form to show it.  Oh well.

I thought you were supposed to have your shotgun partially disassembled  for cleaning  in plain sight for all to see as they enter.

Jealous.

• 2017 - 18.42%
  • 2018 - 18.31%
  • 2019 TBD, but, probably in the same ballpark

Sheesh, we're typically about 12.5%.
I'm gonna guess your 81.58% and 87.5% take home incomes are significantly greater than my 98% take home. 

We were at 0% the last couple years, 2% this year. 

Although if we didn't have kids it would be around 10%

Last edited by a moderator:
This part I don't get. I mean, you'd have more cash without the and paying the tax. Unless there's some rmd situation. 
Agree. I wasn’t trying to say that charitable donations means I have more money in the bank; just that it’s a big part of having a lower tax bill. 

Fed Refund of $3,950

State Refund of $1,810

City -- haven't done yet, but will probably have to pay ~$500 since my wife works in a lower taxed city than where we live

Fed Refund of $3,950

State Refund of $1,810

City -- haven't done yet, but will probably have to pay ~$500 since my wife works in a lower taxed city than where we live
I never even thought about this. How many actually have city income taxes?

In Ohio the percent owed varies by city.  We owe it to the city where we live, not work...which is backwards to the other income taxes.  There are some townships that have no taxes.  It is 2% where I live, so it is significant.

A few states have a local tax filed as part of the state return.  Shady mentioned NYC and Maryland also does this.

If I remember correctly, Pennsylvania, Ohio and maybe Michigan have standalone local tax returns for most municipalities.

:bye:

Birmingham was the place that got the local occupation tax legalized through SCOTUS.  Both Birmingham and Bessemer have occupation taxes.  Costs me and the wife a decent chunk every year.

:bye:

Birmingham was the place that got the local occupation tax legalized through SCOTUS.  Both Birmingham and Bessemer have occupation taxes.  Costs me and the wife a decent chunk every year.
Birmingham loves making waves with the SCOTUS

And back to the tax check stuff...  I am still waiting for investment stuff to come in (now end of Feb.).  But it looks like the administration retroactively rolled back into existence both energy efficiency credits and education credits (along with a few others, I think) for tax years 2018 and 2019.  For the first time ever I think I'll be submitting a 1040x.  

I might have to revise my answer in the "should the childless pay taxes for schools?" thread if this is really the case. I mean, I get why I should pay some taxes for public education, but, really, if crapping out a kid means my tax rate goes from 20% of my AGI to 6% of my AGI, I'm starting to feel I'm paying more than enough for other people's kids. 

Overall, last year, I paid 30% of my gross in taxes if you add up all the federal, state, property, sales, and gas taxes. I really wouldn't mind getting into the 10-20 range the parents apparently get and have an extra fifth or so of my income given back to me. 
We pay for many things we don't use.  If you get to opt out of paying for schools in the area, I want out of paying for social programs, Medicare, welfare, etc. 

You're not going from 20% to 6% unless you have 7 kids. (Assuming you're over $100k income)

Unless you don't believe an educated population benefits society, we all should be paying for schools, at least up to college. 

The government recognizes that parents pay a lot more, generally speaking, than those without kids and we need kids for the next generation. They provide some assistance in this form.

Tax rate, all inclusive, for us is over 25%. So maybe not quite your rate.

I'm not saying "opt out completely", I'm just starting to question if my ROI on my rate justifies it. And with increases coming... maybe they should be on other people first. I think I'm paying enough and from the looks of it, a lot of others aren't.  And I'm not in the 100k club yet. I'm paying 30% on five figures. 
The bold is said by almost everyone. "tax that person, not me!" 

It sounds like your state has higher taxes than average.  We're in a fairly low tax state other than sales tax. 

Fwiw, if you really want to lower your tax rate for a few years, adopt a few special needs kids.  Such an easy way to make Bank :moneybag:

I might have to revise my answer in the "should the childless pay taxes for schools?" thread if this is really the case. I mean, I get why I should pay some taxes for public education, but, really, if crapping out a kid means my tax rate goes from 20% of my AGI to 6% of my AGI, I'm starting to feel I'm paying more than enough for other people's kids. 

Overall, last year, I paid 30% of my gross in taxes if you add up all the federal, state, property, sales, and gas taxes. I really wouldn't mind getting into the 10-20 range the parents apparently get and have an extra fifth or so of my income given back to me. 
We pay for many things we don't use.  If you get to opt out of paying for schools in the area, I want out of paying for social programs, Medicare, welfare, etc. 

You're not going from 20% to 6% unless you have 7 kids. (Assuming you're over $100k income)

Unless you don't believe an educated population benefits society, we all should be paying for schools, at least up to college. 

The government recognizes that parents pay a lot more, generally speaking, than those without kids and we need kids for the next generation. They provide some assistance in this form.

Tax rate, all inclusive, for us is over 25%. So maybe not quite your rate.
Agreed. My wife and I pay 27% of AGI in federal, state, and property when taking into consideration the $4k in credits we get for two kids. Didn't bother to try calculating sales and gas tax, but the point is, having kids isn't cutting ones effective federal income tax rate or all inclusive tax rate that dramatically. 

Sure, but I got numbers on my side. I'm paying triple.
How do you get to triple? You say you're paying 30 ish percent including federal, state, property, sales, and gas tax and comparing to other people's effective federal income tax rate. Apples to oranges... The last couple of posts give tax rates that are much closer, albeit definitely lower overall tax rates even with kids. 

Agreed. My wife and I pay 27% of AGI in federal, state, and property when taking into consideration the $4k in credits we get for two kids. Didn't bother to try calculating sales and gas tax, but the point is, having kids isn't cutting ones effective federal income tax rate or all inclusive tax rate that dramatically. 
It does drop my federal tax rate by ~10%. 

I guarantee I pay a lot more than $10,000 a year for the kids. 

It does drop my federal tax rate by ~10%. 

I guarantee I pay a lot more than $10,000 a year for the kids. 
Fair enough. I shouldn't have spoken so definitively. Obviously it depends on each individual situation. But I don't begrudge anybody for tax credits that make having kids a little more affordable. 

I've been paying about 20-21% of gross on Fed, State, FICA, property, auto taxes.  Never tried to add up sales and gas taxes.  Since sales taxes here are ~9% I imagine I come close to your 30% - and I have 2 kids.

Users who are viewing this thread