What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Do You Think - I Think Suh Determines The Game (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I think they double Donald and interior pressure gets to Brady. 

It hinges on Suh's performance, IMHO. 

This should be a great SB.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair assessment.   Hard to disagree.   

The 1b to your 1a for me is Gurley.  Gurley needs to me the Gurley from the past almost 2 years, as opposed to the past 4 weeks.

Yeah, CJ might not win it like Gurley can.  
For sure.  CJ will help with the clock control plan but he's not busting a 60yrd screen pass to the house or breaking that big run up the middle that sparks a momentum shift.

Suh has 2.5 sacks and 9 QB hits in 8 games against NE. Donald did not have a sack and had 1 QB hit in his only game against the Patriots. 

New England allowed two sacks to interior defensive linemen in Week 1 this year against HOU. Since then (17 games), Brady was only sacked once by an interior defensive lineman. 

The Rams are going to have to have a Plan B if they hope to get pressure on Brady up the middle without blitzing. One of the Patriots biggest strengths this season has been their interior pass protection. 

Suh has 2.5 sacks and 9 QB hits in 8 games against NE. Donald did not have a sack and had 1 QB hit in his only game against the Patriots. 

New England allowed two sacks to interior defensive linemen in Week 1 this year against HOU. Since then (17 games), Brady was only sacked once by an interior defensive lineman. 

The Rams are going to have to have a Plan B if they hope to get pressure on Brady up the middle without blitzing. One of the Patriots biggest strengths this season has been their interior pass protection. 
Yeah, but they're together. Big difference accounting for both at snap, Anarchy.  Though they have top-tier interior O-lineman. But that's where the game will be won, IMHO.  

Suh should really have been blowing up O lines all season, with all the double teaming on Donald. I mean he used to be double teamed when in Detroit and still managed to cause disruption. Every Rams game I watched this regular season, I made a point to closely watch him and tbh it looked like he was half assing it a lot of the time. Think he has cranked it up in the post season, and agree he could have a major hand to play if he's firing on all cylinders

Suh should really have been blowing up O lines all season, with all the double teaming on Donald. I mean he used to be double teamed when in Detroit and still managed to cause disruption. Every Rams game I watched this regular season, I made a point to closely watch him and tbh it looked like he was half assing it a lot of the time. Think he has cranked it up in the post season, and agree he could have a major hand to play if he's firing on all cylinders
True, hard to count on. But A99's point about the NE interior line is a good one. 3 of the most underrated players in the game.

As always, if no one pressures Brady, Pats win. Not sure why teams just don't get that at this point
Rex Ryan ran a 3-8 and won against the Pats. 

It's a little counter-narrative, but I'm a Jets fan, and remember the zone. It just has to be a good one.  

As always, if no one pressures Brady, Pats win. Not sure why teams just don't get that at this point
It's sad that the coaches in the NFL are so bad that they can't figure this out. You do that and jam the receivers at the line, you should beat them. Never let Edelman just run free routes like KC did on 3rd and 8 or like PITT always does against NE. It's funny,  watching the game against KC, that's what Belicheck was doing to them.

Yeah, but they're together. Big difference accounting for both at snap, Anarchy.  Though they have top-tier interior O-lineman. But that's where the game will be won, IMHO.  
NE has played plenty of teams with more than one pass rusher including KC and LAC. They have not allowed a sack in the post season. PFF had Mason as the #1 guard this season with Thuney as the #8 guard and Andrews as the #7 center. PFF rates Mason as the #1 guard and Thuney as the #2 guard in the post season with Andrews as the #1 center in the playoffs.

I agree that if the Rams can get consistent pressure without sending additional blitzers that would help them a ton. I am not so sure they will be able to do that. As I said in the SB thread, I think NE goes the other way and comes out up tempo, no huddle and dinks and dunks them a ton for 6 or 7 yards to wear out the pass rushers. Then in the second half the Pats go run heavy and play action. If the game ends up close, NE then can rely on Brady airing it out late and orchestrating another late game comeback against an exhausted defense.

NE has played plenty of teams with more than one pass rusher including KC and LAC. They have not allowed a sack in the post season. PFF had Mason as the #1 guard this season with Thuney as the #8 guard and Andrews as the #7 center. PFF rates Mason as the #1 guard and Thuney as the #2 guard in the post season with Andrews as the #1 center in the playoffs.

I agree that if the Rams can get consistent pressure without sending additional blitzers that would help them a ton. I am not so sure they will be able to do that. As I said in the SB thread, I think NE goes the other way and comes out up tempo, no huddle and dinks and dunks them a ton for 6 or 7 yards to wear out the pass rushers. Then in the second half the Pats go run heavy and play action. If the game ends up close, NE then can rely on Brady airing it out late and orchestrating another late game comeback against an exhausted defense.
Yep. PFF graded them out well. That's what my brother, who knows football better than I, was worried about. 

He said if the Pats get the first seven, it's over.  

eta* Sorry for starting a new thread. I was unaware there was an SB thread.  

Rex Ryan ran a 3-8 and won against the Pats. 

It's a little counter-narrative, but I'm a Jets fan, and remember the zone. It just has to be a good one.  
The difference is NE can run the football now. If the Rams put in a bunch of defensive backs, NE will put in their power lineup with 2 TE and a FB and average 5 yards a carry bowl;ing people over.

The difference is NE can run the football now. If the Rams put in a bunch of defensive backs, NE will put in their power lineup with 2 TE and a FB and average 5 yards a carry bowl;ing people over.
Yeah, I'm just spitballing. NE can totally run the football now. 

I've agreed with you all year, up through the Gordon stuff. NE is the best team. They'll just have to beat a great D-Line this time.  

Yep. PFF graded them out well. That's what my brother, who knows football better than I, was worried about. 

He said if the Pats get the first seven, it's over.  

eta* Sorry for starting a new thread. I was unaware there was an SB thread.  
This year in particular, NE has been winning by outscheming people and having Brady change the play at the LOS based on the defensive personnel on the field and what coverage they are showing. I don't know how many teams were more talented and more athletic than the Pats were this year, but I would say there were a bunch of them

The Pats are just phenomenal at X's and O's and putting the right chess pieces in the right place at the right time. How many receiving corps are better than Edelman, Hogan, and Dorsett with Gronk at about 70%? I would say half the league.

Certainly the Rams can win the game if they get their play makers on offense in isolation against slower NE defenders. Shallow crosses, pick plays, and wheel routes usually work against NE. If the Rams do what NE usually does and gets the NE linebackers to have to play closer to the line and their defensive backs more on the outside, then the Rams will have the intermediate middle of the field open for seam routes and play action. I would bet the Pats try to take away the run and make Goff beat them, so that should be the plan for the Rams.

IMO, the difference will be that Brady can spot what the Rams are doing at the LOS and Goff may not be able to identify as much or come up with a better option. Also, I think NE will have more up their collective sleeves than the Rams do on offense. I'd be pretty surprised if a special teams fake would work against NE. The Pats are notorious for adding in plays, formations, and things they either never ran before or haven't run in years and adding that into their post season play book.

Just like most games, the Rams chances increase exponentially if they hold on to the football and go up even more if they can get NE to cough up the football. I would be pretty close to shocked if NE won the turnover battle and ended up losing the game.

I forgot to mention that the lowest pressure rate for QBs in the regular season was Roethlisberger at 24.1% of drop backs. Brady's pressure rate in the post season has been only 15.6% to show you how well the NE OL has played so far in the playoffs. 

This year in particular, NE has been winning by outscheming people and having Brady change the play at the LOS based on the defensive personnel on the field and what coverage they are showing. I don't know how many teams were more talented and more athletic than the Pats were this year, but I would say there were a bunch of them

The Pats are just phenomenal at X's and O's and putting the right chess pieces in the right place at the right time. How many receiving corps are better than Edelman, Hogan, and Dorsett with Gronk at about 70%? I would say half the league.

Certainly the Rams can win the game if they get their play makers on offense in isolation against slower NE defenders. Shallow crosses, pick plays, and wheel routes usually work against NE. If the Rams do what NE usually does and gets the NE linebackers to have to play closer to the line and their defensive backs more on the outside, then the Rams will have the intermediate middle of the field open for seam routes and play action. I would bet the Pats try to take away the run and make Goff beat them, so that should be the plan for the Rams.

IMO, the difference will be that Brady can spot what the Rams are doing at the LOS and Goff may not be able to identify as much or come up with a better option. Also, I think NE will have more up their collective sleeves than the Rams do on offense. I'd be pretty surprised if a special teams fake would work against NE. The Pats are notorious for adding in plays, formations, and things they either never ran before or haven't run in years and adding that into their post season play book.

Just like most games, the Rams chances increase exponentially if they hold on to the football and go up even more if they can get NE to cough up the football. I would be pretty close to shocked if NE won the turnover battle and ended up losing the game.
Can't argue with any of that honestly.  Still feel it's going to be a very close game with a who has the ball last type feel.

What I do know for sure though is I'd feel a whole lot better about our chances if Kupp was on the field.  (in large part due to your 3rd paragraph)

Can't argue with any of that honestly.  Still feel it's going to be a very close game with a who has the ball last type feel.

What I do know for sure though is I'd feel a whole lot better about our chances if Kupp was on the field.  (in large part due to your 3rd paragraph)
Over the years, only 4 times did both Championship Games end up as one score games. Interestingly enough, 3 of those 4 Super Bowls ended up as one score games as well (2001 NE, 2010 GB, 2011 NYG).

I get the feeling that NE has been in so many close Super Bowls that they are overdue for one that is boring and not that close . . . one way or the other. Add in that both of last week's games went to OT, and I feel like the odds are that the ame will end up disappointing in terms of competitiveness somehow.

Over the years, only 4 times did both Championship Games end up as one score games. Interestingly enough, 3 of those 4 Super Bowls ended up as one score games as well (2001 NE, 2010 GB, 2011 NYG).

I get the feeling that NE has been in so many close Super Bowls that they are overdue for one that is boring and not that close . . . one way or the other. Add in that both of last week's games went to OT, and I feel like the odds are that the ame will end up disappointing in terms of competitiveness somehow.
Interesting. Thanks for the perspective. 

I think the Pats take it in a walk (reverse jinx).  

Count me in the "Gurley is the key to this game" group.  CJ Anderson is nice, but a 100% Gurley is a game changer....sets up the play action, and that's where the Rams can win

Count me in the "Gurley is the key to this game" group.  CJ Anderson is nice, but a 100% Gurley is a game changer....sets up the play action, and that's where the Rams can win
I don't think Gurley has to have a big game but do agree he needs to be effective early to help Goff.  

It should be fun, the up and comer vs the vet, on multiple levels.

If this is close, Patriots win by experience. 

I think they get it, they just haven’t found a way to consistently do it. Eagles are never afraid to blitz their #### off which is why they had success against them. 
Some of them still don't get it. PITT is one of them. They lose them year after year by playing a zone D. San Diego just showed how to lose to them that way. KC followed it up letting Edelman run free repeatedly on 3rd & 8. Edelman should never get a free release off the line. Patterson is garbage. No team should ever fear that bum. Odds of him catching a deep pass are slim and none. Pats know that. That's why they hand it to him or toss him a screen pass. Hogan is just a guy. Dorsett is nothing. So they have nothing that should strike fear in a D. It's, simple. Cover the RB, jam Edelman, Talib on Gronk. Blitz away and Brady will fold. If you don't pressure him, you may as well just go home.

Here's what Belichick would do. He would shut Edelman down completely. Just like he did with Hill. He's gotta just laugh at these morons that try and game plan a zone D.

Some of them still don't get it. PITT is one of them. They lose them year after year by playing a zone D. San Diego just showed how to lose to them that way. KC followed it up letting Edelman run free repeatedly on 3rd & 8. Edelman should never get a free release off the line. Patterson is garbage. No team should ever fear that bum. Odds of him catching a deep pass are slim and none. Pats know that. That's why they hand it to him or toss him a screen pass. Hogan is just a guy. Dorsett is nothing. So they have nothing that should strike fear in a D. It's, simple. Cover the RB, jam Edelman, Talib on Gronk. Blitz away and Brady will fold. If you don't pressure him, you may as well just go home.

Here's what Belichick would do. He would shut Edelman down completely. Just like he did with Hill. He's gotta just laugh at these morons that try and game plan a zone D.
No you’re right. I laugh at Pittsburgh every time they play them for that reason. It’s like they live in a vacuum and everyone else’s sees it but them. Always a good time with my father in law being a Steelers fan and simply shaking his head and screaming the entire game. 

I don't think Gurley has to have a big game but do agree he needs to be effective early to help Goff.  

It should be fun, the up and comer vs the vet, on multiple levels.

If this is close, Patriots win by experience. 
History says it’ll be close but I’d def have my money on the Pats to cover. 

Users who are viewing this thread