What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help buying used car (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
I thought there was a thread in here regarding buying a used car. I have not been able to find it. Anyway I need to find a reliable used car for a 16 year old. I am thinking of going to the dealership for a certified car with a warranty. Any advice other then don't do it? 

I was looking at certified used cars on line. I asked for a quote on one. I suspect I will now be inundated with emails.I have no clue what I am doing.

Me too.  My truck just died and my oldest is 12, so I want to buy something, drive it for a few years & give it to her.  I drive ~10k/ year, btw.  

Here's my sweet spot: 2010 or newer Camry, <100k miles, and I want to spend <$8k.  It seems to be a tough nut to crack but if I can find it, she'll get a Camry with 150k miles that i personally drove & maintained for the previous 4 years.

CarGurus, btw, seems to be the best search engine imo.
Agreed, CarGurus is great... set up searches for what you want, be specific in your criteria (e.g. I screened out cars that had been used as a fleet car or had been in an accident), and get a daily email.

You can also run the search at any time to find new listings that meet your criteria, and see price drops as well.

Car gurus? Will check it out.

I did get a phone call after I sent my inquiry. Hopefully meeting with someone today. I seriously dont like buying used cars or any car for that matter.

car buying thread (although it's for a new one)

I recently bought a used car for my daughter. Got the lead from Facebook. Lots of dealers list there now just due to the exposure they can get there. Just do your research as to the car's value (I looked up KBB, Edmunds, etc. to compare) to make sure you are getting a good price. A friend and I checked it out and drove it and everything seemed sound, so I opted to buy it. So far, so good. Even got a few hundred taken off because it needed a couple of new tires. 

GLLLL

car buying thread (although it's for a new one)

I recently bought a used car for my daughter. Got the lead from Facebook. Lots of dealers list there now just due to the exposure they can get there. Just do your research as to the car's value (I looked up KBB, Edmunds, etc. to compare) to make sure you are getting a good price. A friend and I checked it out and drove it and everything seemed sound, so I opted to buy it. So far, so good. Even got a few hundred taken off because it needed a couple of new tires. 

GLLLL
Thanks

Anyone ever use Carmax? I was in there today and I kind of like their shtick. No haggling, the price you see is what it is. Take it or leave it. I kind of feel like everything is negotiable, we will see. 

I thought there was a thread in here regarding buying a used car. I have not been able to find it. Anyway I need to find a reliable used car for a 16 year old. I am thinking of going to the dealership for a certified car with a warranty. Any advice other then don't do it? 
If you are in the NC VA area.  I got a well taken care of 2007 mustag, rag top with 70k on it for 5k.  Probably not a kids car.  It is my brothers wifes.  They live 60 minutes outside of DC and take the bus to work, hence low miles.

If you are in the NC VA area.  I got a well taken care of 2007 mustag, rag top with 70k on it for 5k.  Probably not a kids car.  It is my brothers wifes.  They live 60 minutes outside of DC and take the bus to work, hence low miles.
Thanks for the offer but I am in the South West .

I'm between 1-4 months from also buying a used car. Probably a Camry, Accord or maybe a Prius. Haven't test driven the Prius, and not real sure how I feel about it yet. 

This will be my car, the vast majority will be city driving, to work and back. My '08 Highlander will be used by our newly licensed son. 

The car I want is a 2018 Camry XSE, but don't want to pay more than $20k. That seems doable but most are in the 20s. Could settle for a 17, but I'll keep this for a decade or more so would rather get what I really want. 

I've been looking at offleaseonly.com, but they're only in Florida. They ship but do you really want to buy a car you didn't test drive?

Not sure of your area but around Philly there are dealerships called Carsense and Carmax. I have purchased numerous cars through them for my company and personally and I have been very very happy with each purchase. If you go with a Toyota or Honda you will be paying top dollar due to them holding their value so well. So if you are looking for something much cheaper but still dependable I suggest looking at a Volkswagen or Hyundai.

Buying used cars is a huge pita.  It's also going to be a big time commitment.  I've gone through this process twice with teens and limited budgets and I'll offer some observations - not sure these will be of much help.

It's a car for a teenager.  Keep that in mind.  Teenagers are inexperienced drivers.  More than likely there will be at least one minor incident.  

I know you want reliability, but in my eyes, going to a dealer to get certified pre-owned will give you a bit of peace of mind, but it's going to add thousands to the price tag.  For me, on a lower cost used car for a kid, that's a hard pass.  Get Triple A.

Have your kid figure out what car they want.  My eldest is short, so she wanted a smaller, "cute" car.  She settled on a hatchback, so we went hatchback shopping.  In my eyes, the way to get the best deal would be through a private party.  Keep in mind that some people become VERY attached to their cars, so when you see this, avoid if possible.  We test drove a number of vehicles, and she finally found one she really wanted.  I talked to the guy and said, we are still looking around but maybe we'll get back in touch with you.  He asked me how soon and I knew I was good.  Turns out, his wife badly wanted this car out of their driveway because they just bought a new car and only had a single car garage/driveway and no street parking.  Got a great deal on this one, and luckily the car was super reliable for my daughter.  If you know a mechanic, ask how much they would charge to bring them with you, cause even if it's just 50-100 bucks, if you have a mechanic give the car the once over, I bet you'll recoup that cost and then some on the purchase price.

Cargurus is the best search engine.  HOWEVER, at least by me, this site has been inundated by used car lots.  These are fly by night companies (usually) that buy dozens or hundreds of cars at auction, clean them up, mark them up and put them on a lot and on a website.  Cargurus has made this process easier for them to aggregate lots of listings.  These lots are VERY shady, and don't think for a second that their "mechanics" have done a bit of work on them other than maybe change a hub cap, or rear view mirror.  They are difficult to haggle with as this is their livelihood and profession.  And they add tons of hidden fees if you are not paying attention.  I actually bought a car off one of these lots against my better judgment for my son.  I did get a decent price for a car with low miles.  There were only a few issues, headlights were burned out which I didn't realize because I drove and bought the car during the day - that was an easy fix, and a tire gauge was faulty.  I changed out the headlamps for my son, and brought the vehicle to a mechanic to give it the once over/oil change/tune up.  Car hasn't had any issues for 15,000 or so miles, so hopefully I got a decent vehicle.

It's becoming harder and harder to get private sale listings on lower cost cars (at least in my experience).  Dealerships aren't a great alternative. I went to Car Max and told the salesperson my daughters budget, and they were like oh no we don't have any cars here for less than $10,000 - have you thought about what your monthly payments could be?  I left the lot immediately cause I don't play like that.  I don't know if they were lying or not, but I wasn't going to give that person any business.

It's becoming harder and harder to get private sale listings on lower cost cars (at least in my experience).  Dealerships aren't a great alternative. I went to Car Max and told the salesperson my daughters budget, and they were like oh no we don't have any cars here for less than $10,000 - have you thought about what your monthly payments could be?
Absolutely on the bolded.  I got lucky a few years ago with mine from a retired officer.  

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Not sure of your area but around Philly there are dealerships called Carsense and Carmax. I have purchased numerous cars through them for my company and personally and I have been very very happy with each purchase. If you go with a Toyota or Honda you will be paying top dollar due to them holding their value so well. So if you are looking for something much cheaper but still dependable I suggest looking at a Volkswagen or Hyundai.
WBYCEIYDBO

I'd shoot for a  2005-2008 Camry 4cyl with under 120k.

Here's my sweet spot: 2010 or newer Camry, <100k miles, and I want to spend <$8k. 
Q for the both of you: any particular reason why you are focused on the specific year ranges you do? Are there certain year make/models for Toyotas and Hondas that are better? Not sure where I would look for a source of this info.

guru_007 said:
Buying used cars is a huge pita.  It's also going to be a big time commitment.  I've gone through this process twice with teens and limited budgets and I'll offer some observations - not sure these will be of much help.

It's a car for a teenager.  Keep that in mind.  Teenagers are inexperienced drivers.  More than likely there will be at least one minor incident.  

I know you want reliability, but in my eyes, of mind, but it's going to add thousands to the price tag. going to a dealer to get certified pre-owned will give you a bit of peace For me, on a lower cost used car for a kid, that's a hard pass.  Get Triple A.

Have your kid figure out what car they want.  My eldest is short, so she wanted a smaller, "cute" car.  She settled on a hatchback, so we went hatchback shopping.  In my eyes, the way to get the best deal would be through a private party.  Keep in mind that some people become VERY attached to their cars, so when you see this, avoid if possible.  We test drove a number of vehicles, and she finally found one she really wanted.  I talked to the guy and said, we are still looking around but maybe we'll get back in touch with you.  He asked me how soon and I knew I was good.  Turns out, his wife badly wanted this car out of their driveway because they just bought a new car and only had a single car garage/driveway and no street parking.  Got a great deal on this one, and luckily the car was super reliable for my daughter.  If you know a mechanic, ask how much they would charge to bring them with you, cause even if it's just 50-100 bucks, if you have a mechanic give the car the once over, I bet you'll recoup that cost and then some on the purchase price.

Cargurus is the best search engine.  HOWEVER, at least by me, this site has been inundated by used car lots.  These are fly by night companies (usually) that buy dozens or hundreds of cars at auction, clean them up, mark them up and put them on a lot and on a website.  Cargurus has made this process easier for them to aggregate lots of listings.  These lots are VERY shady, and don't think for a second that their "mechanics" have done a bit of work on them other than maybe change a hub cap, or rear view mirror.  They are difficult to haggle with as this is their livelihood and profession.  And they add tons of hidden fees if you are not paying attention.  I actually bought a car off one of these lots against my better judgment for my son.  I did get a decent price for a car with low miles.  There were only a few issues, headlights were burned out which I didn't realize because I drove and bought the car during the day - that was an easy fix, and a tire gauge was faulty.  I changed out the headlamps for my son, and brought the vehicle to a mechanic to give it the once over/oil change/tune up.  Car hasn't had any issues for 15,000 or so miles, so hopefully I got a decent vehicle.

It's becoming harder and harder to get private sale listings on lower cost cars (at least in my experience).  Dealerships aren't a great alternative. I went to Car Max and told the salesperson my daughters budget, and they were like oh no we don't have any cars here for less than $10,000 - have you thought about what your monthly payments could be?  I left the lot immediately cause I don't play like that.  I don't know if they were lying or not, but I wasn't going to give that person any business.
Solid post, thanks! For the bolded parts:

1) I get going to the dealer will add to the price tag. But in my mind, I guess you need to weight any advantages in a true CPO car if there is an extended warranty (again, depends on what exactly it covers) and other factors as opposed to flying more blind buying privately/non-CPO. Are there any other variables to weigh?

2) In your experience, where have you found the best source for private party listings? 

3) Getting a mechanic for a ride-along is a great idea, had no idea you could do this. Is this a widely accepted practice on the mechanic side? If I do finagle this kind of arrangement, is there any specific checklist or items you want to make sure the mechanic looks at besides some obvious things? 

1) I get going to the dealer will add to the price tag. But in my mind, I guess you need to weight any advantages in a true CPO car if there is an extended warranty (again, depends on what exactly it covers) and other factors as opposed to flying more blind buying privately/non-CPO. Are there any other variables to weigh?
I was just against CPO on lower price vehicles, i.e. a teenagers first car.  I would absolutely buy CPO and spend some extra money if it was a bit higher end car, or a luxury used car as the extended warranty would be well worth the money. But if I'm looking around for a Camry with 125,000 - 150,000 miles on it, I'm expecting stuff is going to break down on it sooner or later.  If a dealer has inspected for me, that's great, but I doubt you're getting anything more than a 12 month limited warranty at best, and the added cost will be much higher than I could get from a non-dealer.  

2) In your experience, where have you found the best source for private party listings? 
Craigslist is probably #1 resource.  It's becoming more and more difficult to find private listings online - maybe a local paper or green sheets type paper?  I just checked Cargurus for a used Altima within 50 miles of me.  There were 650 dealer listings and 6 private listings.  I did actually buy from a guy off craigslist.

3) Getting a mechanic for a ride-along is a great idea, had no idea you could do this. Is this a widely accepted practice on the mechanic side? If I do finagle this kind of arrangement, is there any specific checklist or items you want to make sure the mechanic looks at besides some obvious things? 
Absolutely it's widely accepted.  In fact if someone opposed to it, that would through a huge red flag to me that I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle from this person.  If you do online searches, there are mechanics that will offer this service, but it's better if you know someone personally.  I know jack #### about cars.  Basically if I'm inspecting them, I am seeing if tires have tread on them, any thing is leaking and if the belts look cracked.  If you turn on an engine for me, unless there is a cylinder pounding into the engine block, it's going to sound fine to me.  Again though, when I'm buying a used car, I'm expecting to need to drop some money into it sooner or later.  I'm crossing my fingers it's not a massive expense.  I try to factor that into the cost I'm willing to pay.  

I do dread used car shopping, but it's a necessary evil sometimes.  I love new car shopping :shrug:

Sounds like you want a newer one, but If you go with an old accord,(2003-2007) be careful, some are oil burners. I happened to get a bad one.

It's a nice car, have had no problems, but you have to watch the oil often. I probably have to add oil three

times between oil changes. 

Mine is an 07. Bought it about 1 1/2 years ago with 160 thousand from a dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave you the years they were easiest to work on and still had the legendary quality. Forget the mechanic, buy a scanner tool and scan it. The scanner will tell you a lot. Then pull the dipstick and see if the oil is full/black. Black is not so bad but not full is. Otherwise just drive it and look for smoke behind you and see if it runs straight. It's not rocket science. 

Q for the both of you: any particular reason why you are focused on the specific year ranges you do? Are there certain year make/models for Toyotas and Hondas that are better? Not sure where I would look for a source of this info.
No particular reason.  I test drove a 2010 Camry last weekend and it was really well appointed. 

Somewhere around that timeframe is when they offered rear view cameras - imo a great feature, especially for a first time driver.

guru_007 said:

I know you want reliability, but in my eyes, going to a dealer to get certified pre-owned will give you a bit of peace of mind, but it's going to add thousands to the price tag.  For me, on a lower cost used car for a kid, that's a hard pass.  Get Triple A.

Thank you for this. I had totally forgotten about Craigs list. I did give Carmax my budget. of course the first car they showed me was double that budget. ugghh

Nice... in the early stages of selling two and buying two used right now.

I've gotten the KBB values for both of them and my Q is... how do I price these in the real world?  Are those prices a good guide? 

Both of mine are old cars, but I've decided I want to squeeze the last bit of value out of them and don't really know what I'm doing.  Any downside to starting at the top end of the range and just going the "OBO" route?  Or better to price them "firm" near what I think their worth.  And then adjust once it's clear no one's biting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note on cargurus.  Based on the mentions up thread, I went there and searched for the car I am currently interested in (2018 Audi A5 Sportback) and every #######' ad on the internet since the search is a cargurus ad featuring the cars that appeared in the search results.  I hate that!  It's on my home and work computers and my tablet.  It creeps me out.

We buy cars and run them till their dead. We bought a 2004 Camry in 2007 and it now has 240k miles. 

We are now looking and I have been using Auto Trader but am going to be checking out CarGurus.

Shopping Toyota’s but have also looked at the Mazda 6. Anyone have one and care to offer an opinion? Thanks! 

Anyone ever use Carmax? I was in there today and I kind of like their shtick. No haggling, the price you see is what it is. Take it or leave it. I kind of feel like everything is negotiable, we will see. 
Rip off. And you must use their financing

I bought two used cars over the last year or so. One for me and one for the wife. We wanted reliable, newish and low miles. We both went the CPO route. My car, bought August of 2017, had 9k miles.  2016 Honda Civic, touring,  fully loaded.  her’s had 5k, 2018 toyota CHR, also fully loaded. Got both at the bottom end of kbb

the number one thing I can recommend, is take your time.  I actually became pretty friendly with the dudes at the dealership. They knew I wasn’t a lame ### mark and would simply call me when something would come in, that they thought I might like. The Honda dude would take me in the back of the lot, where the trade ins were being processed. They weren’t even officially for sale yet.  It was really pretty fascinating. My search took at least 3 months.  The wife’s, slightly less. 

I used all the apps. Autotrader the most. A dude I work with buys and sells cars as a side hustle. He uses Craigslist and surprisingly, eBay 

I was looking at certified used cars on line. I asked for a quote on one. I suspect I will now be inundated with emails.I have no clue what I am doing.
Make a new gmail (or something like that) address for things like this, and when you're done, you can shut off the address. Boom no extra email in your regular account!!

My used car buying M/O

1) Buy Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, or if you have to Toyota/Lexus

2) Set an arbitrary mileage limit of 85k miles

3) Buy from a legitimate dealership. No "Bob's Bargain Lot" types

4) Pay less than $15k, pay cash

Rip off. And you must use their financing
I was there Friday and told that once I pick a car I have three days to find better financing then they offer. Was going to use my credit union and they did not have a problem with that. They are currently shipping two cars for me to look at. I found these cars using their search engine. The cars are over 100 miles away but no charge to have them shipped here for me to look at.

Why do you say they are a rip off?

I am looking at a Nissan Versus 2009 with 24,000 miles $9,989.00

When I check Kelly blue book that price is high but Kelly Blue book does not have the option for that low mileage that I can see. They seem to hover around $5,000.00 and 100,000 miles.

Any thoughts on this deal?

I am looking at a Nissan Versus 2009 with 24,000 miles $9,989.00

When I check Kelly blue book that price is high but Kelly Blue book does not have the option for that low mileage that I can see. They seem to hover around $5,000.00 and 100,000 miles.

Any thoughts on this deal?
Run don’t walk away 

Not true.  Have bought multiple cars from them, all have been with my own financing through my bank.  

I was there Friday and told that once I pick a car I have three days to find better financing then they offer. Was going to use my credit union and they did not have a problem with that. They are currently shipping two cars for me to look at. I found these cars using their search engine. The cars are over 100 miles away but no charge to have them shipped here for me to look at.

Why do you say they are a rip off?
I could be wrong.  as I understood the guy, if financing was going to be used, one had to finance through them, even if you had your own financing in place.  3 days later, they sell/transfer your loan to your financing. 

The finance experience at CarMax is different. Our finance process is designed to be transparent and stress-free, just like the rest of our car-buying experience. There are no hidden numbers or games. The offers come directly from our finance sources — usually within minutes of the application. At our stores, they’re available for review by you and our sales associates at the same time. You can choose from any available offer. You’re in the driver’s seat! We’re confident in the competitiveness of our offers, but you’re still welcome to replace ours with an offer from another finance source within three days of your purchase, at no cost.

They were priced very high imho, as well. The car we looked at had some significant cosmetic damage and the no haggling was a joke on that vehicle. 

Wrong in both counts. Other than that you’re doing ok
I might be wrong on the financing, but they are not priced as aggressively as I like to but cars. :shrug:

they;do get points for shipping a car 90 miles, just so I could look at it. Other than that, I wasn’t overly impressed. 

I might be wrong on the financing, but they are not priced as aggressively as I like to but cars. :shrug:

they;do get points for shipping a car 90 miles, just so I could look at it. Other than that, I wasn’t overly impressed. 
It’s not where I would shop either, but relative to other dealers they are on the competitive end of the spectrum. 

KBB is an awful tool owned by dealers. If you're checking price figure on paying private party at dealers. The dealer rate is dreamland.

Yep, going down this road here soon for my 19 year old daughter. She is coming home from college and plans to work all summer so she can save enough to pay cash for the car. So that means we are probably going to be in the 4-5k range for this car. She goes to college 200 miles from here--so she doesn't need anything fancy as she doesn't come home that often, but I have already told her she is going to buy from a dealership so we can get a warranty. She wants a Used Cruz or a Malibu. 

My mom has a 2011 Impala that is sitting in her driveway.  My parents bought this brand new and paid it off right away. My dad passed away three years ago and my 84 year old mom doesn't drive--so this vehicle is sitting there in perfect condition with less than 25k miles on it. She goes out and starts it each week, but that is it. I try and take it out and wash it for her at least once a month, because ultimately the seals and tires are going to rot. I was really hoping she would offer to sell it to my daughter, but my mom says she likes looking at it out there.  

Yep, going down this road here soon for my 19 year old daughter. She is coming home from college and plans to work all summer so she can save enough to pay cash for the car. So that means we are probably going to be in the 4-5k range for this car. She goes to college 200 miles from here--so she doesn't need anything fancy as she doesn't come home that often, but I have already told her she is going to buy from a dealership so we can get a warranty. She wants a Used Cruz or a Malibu. 

My mom has a 2011 Impala that is sitting in her driveway.  My parents bought this brand new and paid it off right away. My dad passed away three years ago and my 84 year old mom doesn't drive--so this vehicle is sitting there in perfect condition with less than 25k miles on it. She goes out and starts it each week, but that is it. I try and take it out and wash it for her at least once a month, because ultimately the seals and tires are going to rot. I was really hoping she would offer to sell it to my daughter, but my mom says she likes looking at it out there.  
That would be a great car for the kid! No give in Mom? 

I know you’re trying to help, but if she saved the money isn’t this her decision? Has she asked for help? 

wilked said:
I know you’re trying to help, but if she saved the money isn’t this her decision? Has she asked for help? 
Oh I agree with you she is old enough to make her own decisions. I didn't mean to come across that way. Her boyfriend bought his car off Craigslist and so did a couple of her friends, so that is where she is looking. My daughter doesn't work during the school year and we are the ones paying for her college. She relies on her refund she gets from the loan we take and whats left over--which amounts to about $120 spending money a month--plus we send her an addition $75.00 just to cover food and toiletries. She can't afford major car expenses, so that is why I am trying to get her to a place that will give her a warranty and a carfax report.

I just can't have her calling me at 2:00 am stranded somewhere--200 miles from me with a broke down car. 

Users who are viewing this thread