What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Runner kills attacking mountain lion by suffocating it to death (1 Viewer)

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
Too hard core...

Trail runner kills attacking mountain lion 'in self-defense,' authorities say

The runner killed the animal "in self-defense," authorities say.

By Morgan Winsor 1h ago

A runner killed a mountain lion "in self-defense" after the animal attacked him along a trail in northern Colorado on Monday afternoon, authorities said.

The unnamed man heard something behind him on the West Ridge Trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space in Fort Collins and was attacked as he turned around. The mountain lion lunged at him, biting into his face and wrist, according to a press release from Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

The runner was able to break free from the cougar's powerful maw and defend himself, killing the wild cat as a result. The man was then able to get himself to a local hospital, where he was treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries.

"The runner did everything he could to save his life," Mark Leslie, Colorado Parks and Wildlife's northeast regional manager, said in a statement Monday afternoon. "In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did."

(STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)  A cougar is pictured in this undated stock photo.

Wildlife officials later located the body of a "juvenile mountain lion" on the trail near several of the runner's possessions. The animal was taken to a lab for a necropsy.

After further investigation, including an examination of the cougar, wildlife officials determined that the man was able to suffocate the animal while defending himself from the attack.

"Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner," Ty Petersburg, area wildlife manager for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, said in a statement Monday. "This could have had a very different outcome."

Fewer than 20 people have died from cougar attacks in North America in more than 100 years. Mountain lions are quiet, solitary, elusive predators that typically avoid humans, but it's important to remain alert if you're in an area where they live, according to the press release from Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

(MORE: Bear attacks 10-year-old boy in Yellowstone National Park)

(Education Images/UIG via Getty Images, FILE)  A mountain lion is pictured in Northern Ontario, Canada.

If you do encounter a mountain lion, the Colorado Division of Wildlife offers these tips:

-- Do not approach a lion, especially one that is feeding or with kittens. Most mountain lions will try to avoid a confrontation. Give them a way to escape.

-- Stay calm when you come upon a lion. Talk calmly yet firmly to it. Move slowly and never turn your back on it.

-- Stop or back away slowly, if you can do it safely. Running may stimulate a lion's instinct to chase and attack. Face the lion and stand upright.

-- Do all you can to appear larger. Raise your arms. Open your jacket if you're wearing one. If you have small children with you, protect them by picking them up so they won't panic and run.

-- If the lion behaves aggressively, throw stones, branches or whatever you can get your hands on without crouching down or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly. What you want to do is convince the lion you are not prey and that you may in fact be a danger to the lion.

-- Fight back if a lion attacks you. Lions have been driven away by prey that fights back. People have fought back with rocks, sticks, caps or jackets, garden tools and their bare hands successfully. Target sensitive areas like the eyes and nose. Remain standing or try to get back up!

ABC News' Becky Perlow, Clayton Sandell and Jim Vojtech contributed to this report.

In before the Twitter outrage re: the murder of an innocent mountain lion by the bare hands of a runner.

Yea, curious how he suffocated it too, but it did say juvenile mountain lion, so I'm curious the size of the thing. Average grown male mountain lion is around 110-180 lbs, so we can assume a juvenile is what, 40-80 pounds? 

What kind of wild dog would this be getting attacked by? Somewhere between a fully grown Pitbull & Doberman?

Yea, curious how he suffocated it too, but it did say juvenile mountain lion, so I'm curious the size of the thing. Average grown male mountain lion is around 110-180 lbs, so we can assume a juvenile is what, 40-80 pounds? 

What kind of wild dog would this be getting attacked by? Somewhere between a fully grown Pitbull & Doberman?
Thought I read it was around 80lbs.

Rank these in order of most dangerous for you to defend, assume the dogs are all fully grown:

Doberman, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, juvenile mountain lion (80 pounds)

Rank these in order of most dangerous for you to defend, assume the dogs are all fully grown:

Doberman, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, juvenile mountain lion (80 pounds)
Lion, rottweiler, doberman, pit

Lion has 5 things it will attack with. 

Rottweiler is strongest and biggest.

Doberman is next in size.

Pit bull is smallest. 

Now if it is a pit mix that gives it much more weight bump that to the top of the dog list but below lion still. . 

I am also assuming that none of the animals would lose interest in trying to kill me. 

The other thing that is bad around Horsetooth are rattlers -- I've seen several around the res while fishing.

I read somewhere he was carrying a holy hand grenade in his fanny pack. The only reason he had scratches on him was because it took him awhile to count to three.

Buttonhook said:
I'd rather take on an 80 pound cat than an 80 pound dog.  

Mostly because cats are #####ies.
Size-equal, Cat >>>>>> Dog.  If you're going against a dog, you just have to isolate the head.  If you're going against a cat, you've got the head, and 4 feet.  

No, actually I haven't.  But I've read enough of the pit bull thread to know they ain't no #####-cats.
Pit Bulls are easy to handle. Theyre small and short. Multiple pitt bulls youre in trouble but one on one Id murder any pitbull you put in front of me, easily.  I'd have more trouble fighting a house cat. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread