What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats Done Grappling - Credible rape Allegation Propels Fairfax to run for Governor (1 Viewer)

According to #metoo women are suppose to have the right to be heard in their terms.  These women do not have an investigation which can be used to cover up their story.  They want to be heard in a public forum.  
Eh, this is way past personal preference. The State of VA needs to know what's going on here. The Speaker needs to go forward with this somehow. Get an investigation in hand, then impeach him (if the reports bear out and they sound believable already).

That's a good point, if the Dems don't show at all then it's pointless. - But supposedly they're also calling on Fairfax to resign? Crazy. 

and allegedly calling for a criminal investigation out of state to be completed before moving to state legislator action. (I don't know if this is still their position or not)

I will continue to push back on anyone who says the bold.  It's only pointless in political terms.  In real terms, meaningful to actual change, it's anything but pointless to get to the bottom of it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
GOP holds every legal card necessary to move forward.  The only reason they aren't is political and that's disgusting.  :shrug:  It's too expensive politically for them as you continue to outline but try to frame as something else.
:lmao: ....at this point, this is what that post deserves.  It is not the GOP being disgusting here.  

and allegedly calling for a criminal investigation out of state to be completed before moving to state legislator action. (I don't know if this is still their position or not)

I will continue to push back on anyone who says the bold.  It's only pointless in political terms.  In real terms, meaningful to actual change, it's anything but pointless to get to the bottom of it all.
I would really hope Tyson and Watson would talk to a state police or AG investigator. 

Right, I meant politically. But I guess if they don't show to the hearing that looks bad, for them but also for the hearing. - I can't even understand the mindset currently operating, even politically. The Dems are better served politically by getting Fairfax out. And they're totally against this guy's behavior.

And the VA GOP can impeach if they want, though they will need some kind of evidentiary basis for that, not mere tv interviews.

But say the VA GOP just holds the hearing, and the Dems don't show, and they subpoena Tyson and Watson - these women are just not going to show up to tell their story? - It makes me sick to say it but Fairfax almost has a point. He's supposed to resign when there isn't even a police or legislative finding or even an official interview of any kind?

I would really hope Tyson and Watson would talk to a state police or AG investigator. 

Right, I meant politically. But I guess if they don't show to the hearing that looks bad, for them but also for the hearing. - I can't even understand the mindset currently operating, even politically. The Dems are better served politically by getting Fairfax out. And they're totally against this guy's behavior.

And the VA GOP can impeach if they want, though they will need some kind of evidentiary basis for that, not mere tv interviews.
The whole thing is screwed up and all sides are complicit in the chaos.  Do your jobs and stop the political nonsense.  Problem solved.  I really struggle with politics and this particular topic.  Sexual assault is the line for me and it's hard to understand how it's not the line for others.  In all these cases, right or wrong, I assume the woman is telling the truth and will be apologetic if it comes out that they were lying, but the process has to run it's course.  I don't have room for politics in situations like this.  It's not a factor.  I get heated pretty quickly over this, so I apologize to all of you @jon_mx included, but this isn't something I think any of us should be viewing through a political lens and I am quite bigoted in that position.

They can not remove him from office without Democrat support.  

But say the VA GOP just holds the hearing, and the Dems don't show, and they subpoena Tyson and Watson - these women are just not going to show up to tell their story? - It makes me sick to say it but Fairfax almost has a point. He's supposed to resign when there isn't even a police or legislative finding or even an official interview of any kind?
This is the other part that doesn't sit well with me.  Someone with some sort of leadership spine needs to sit down with these women and explain the deal.  They have two options.  Either proceed with whomever is willing to participate or drop it.  Proceeding, in my view, only strengthens their words and my desire to believe them.

They can not remove him from office without Democrat support.  
They can impeach him in the House though, right? First of all Commish is right, at the base of it this is not a political matter. This guy is not qualified to hold office anymore. The mechanics are political but doing the right thing is not. - And then they hold hearings, make findings, and Dems in the VA Senate are really going to vote to keep him in office?

They can impeach him in the House though, right? First of all Commish is right, at the base of it this is not a political matter. This guy is not qualified to hold office anymore. The mechanics are political but doing the right thing is not. - And then they hold hearings, make findings, and Dems in the VA Senate are really going to vote to keep him in office?
GOP controls the state senate too.  I don't know what their requirements for impeachment and removal are though.  I doubt they have the numbers if the requirements are like federal requirements, but at that point, you'd at least have them on record and at that point, it becomes political...attack away as far as I'm concerned.

Impeachment is a political action.  This is not a criminal case.  Fairfax represents the people, that is who he is answerable to and which is why the testimony should be public.  The only viable way to remove him from office is if public opiniion supports it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Impeachment is a political action.  This is not a criminal case.  Fairfax represents the people, that is who he is answerable to and which is why the testimony should be public.  The only viable way to remove him from office is if public opiniion supports it.  
Are you saying public opinion in VA doesn't widely support removal? I really don't know, asking. I just thought it did. How could it not?

Glad to have you on board team decency, jon!   :hifive:

While you're here, do you support Impeaching Trump for his many credible sexual harassment episodes?

The whole thing is screwed up and all sides are complicit in the chaos.  Do your jobs and stop the political nonsense.  Problem solved.  I really struggle with politics and this particular topic.  Sexual assault is the line for me and it's hard to understand how it's not the line for others.  In all these cases, right or wrong, I assume the woman is telling the truth and will be apologetic if it comes out that they were lying, but the process has to run it's course.  I don't have room for politics in situations like this.  It's not a factor.  I get heated pretty quickly over this, so I apologize to all of you @jon_mx included, but this isn't something I think any of us should be viewing through a political lens and I am quite bigoted in that position.
Nice post 

What a jerk,........

Fairfax 'thinking very seriously' about run for governor, says scandal has raised his public profile

Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax said Thursday that he is “very hopeful about the future” and “thinking very seriously” about a gubernatorial run in 2021.

Fairfax, who faces sexual assault allegations by two women, said the scandal has raised his public profile for good.

“Many people a year ago would not have recognized me, now they really do,” Fairfax said. “People come up to me at gas stations, they say, ‘Hey, we recognize you. We love you. We know what they are saying about you is false.’ ”

Fairfax’s comments came during a roundtable with reporters to talk about his recent trip to England, where he traced familial ties with an English family that freed his great-great-great grandfather from slavery in Northern Virginia.

A compilation video of the tripshared on YouTube shows Fairfax walking through London’s Heathrow Airport, touring castles and spending time with the family of Nicholas Fairfax, whose ancestor freed Fairfax’s ancestor from slavery.

“Going on that trip and even leaving that trip, I was really inspired,” said Fairfax, who traveled to England with a delegation from Fairfax County. “I’m very hopeful about the future. We’ve gotten a lot of encouragement about future political steps. I’m thinking very seriously about 2021.”

The trip was paid for by Fairfax’s political fundraising arm, a spokeswoman said, adding that the lieutenant governor paid expenses related to his wife and children.

The lieutenant governor said Nicholas Fairfax was up to date on the scandals that have befallen Virginia’s top elected leaders.

What a jerk,........

Fairfax 'thinking very seriously' about run for governor, says scandal has raised his public profile

Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax said Thursday that he is “very hopeful about the future” and “thinking very seriously” about a gubernatorial run in 2021.

Fairfax, who faces sexual assault allegations by two women, said the scandal has raised his public profile for good.

“Many people a year ago would not have recognized me, now they really do,” Fairfax said. “People come up to me at gas stations, they say, ‘Hey, we recognize you. We love you. We know what they are saying about you is false.’ ”

Fairfax’s comments came during a roundtable with reporters to talk about his recent trip to England, where he traced familial ties with an English family that freed his great-great-great grandfather from slavery in Northern Virginia.

A compilation video of the tripshared on YouTube shows Fairfax walking through London’s Heathrow Airport, touring castles and spending time with the family of Nicholas Fairfax, whose ancestor freed Fairfax’s ancestor from slavery.

“Going on that trip and even leaving that trip, I was really inspired,” said Fairfax, who traveled to England with a delegation from Fairfax County. “I’m very hopeful about the future. We’ve gotten a lot of encouragement about future political steps. I’m thinking very seriously about 2021.”

The trip was paid for by Fairfax’s political fundraising arm, a spokeswoman said, adding that the lieutenant governor paid expenses related to his wife and children.

The lieutenant governor said Nicholas Fairfax was up to date on the scandals that have befallen Virginia’s top elected leaders.
Wow, somehow he is an even bigger loser than originally thought. Pathetic. 

What a jerk,........

OMG, we do not need this.

What a jerk,........

He stands no chance.

Wow, somehow he is an even bigger loser than originally thought. Pathetic. 
How many more credible sexual assault allegations would he need to accumulate in order to earn your approval?  We know that 16 is enough based on your support for Donald Trump, but I'm curious as to whether any politicians could win you over with less than that. Double digits?

How many more credible sexual assault allegations would he need to accumulate in order to earn your approval?  We know that 16 is enough based on your support for Donald Trump, but I'm curious as to whether any politicians could win you over with less than that. Double digits?
You would be the type to support this guy.  :lmao:

Go  :fishing: somewhere else. 

You would be the type to support this guy.  :lmao:

Go  :fishing: somewhere else. 
I don't support him at all.  Do you support any politicians who face credible rape allegations?

Pointing out the grotesque hypocrisy of people who condone sexual assault as long as the accused is on "their side" of the political divide is not fishing.  It's pointing out the grotesque hypocrisy of people who condone sexual assault as long as the accused is on "their side" of the political divide. 

I think people should want full investigations and complete transparency any time a politician faces a credible accusation of sexual assault, and those who cannot mount a convincing defense should be removed from public office and/or campaigns for public office. I don't care whether it's a Democrat or Republican.  Just my opinion, of course. Do you agree?

Without Democrats on board, it can't happen.  So far Democrats have not been supported and will not even support these women telling their story.   
I dont really understand your position on this matter considering your position regarding kavanaugh. I am sure i am missing something or maybe misunderstood your position on him. 

Is it just the difference in age of accusations?

I dont really understand your position on this matter considering your position regarding kavanaugh. I am sure i am missing something or maybe misunderstood your position on him. 

Is it just the difference in age of accusations?
I think jon has said that he finds the Fairfax allegations credible but the Kavanaugh ones not credible.

I don't support him at all.  Do you support any politicians who face credible rape allegations?

Pointing out the grotesque hypocrisy of people who condone sexual assault as long as the accused is on "their side" of the political divide is not fishing.  It's pointing out the grotesque hypocrisy of people who condone sexual assault as long as the accused is on "their side" of the political divide. 

I think people should want full investigations and complete transparency any time a politician faces a credible accusation of sexual assault, and those who cannot mount a convincing defense should be removed from public office and/or campaigns for public office. I don't care whether it's a Democrat or Republican.  Just my opinion, of course. Do you agree?
I think you are pretty ignorant saying I condone sexual assault, maybe go be a tool to someone that wants to play that game. I’ll pass. 

jon_mx said:
Without Democrats on board, it can't happen.  So far Democrats have not been supported and will not even support these women telling their story.   
Congrats. You sound just like the dems in the house. Turns out you guys really arent all that different. Do what's politically expedient not what's right. 

matttyl said:
He is?  Why?  Cause he, or a friend of his, may have done blackface at a party ~35 years ago?
He either owned a Klan outfit or was close friends with somebody who did

He either owned a Klan outfit or was close friends with somebody who did
....~35 years ago.  Does a bad horrible joke in college (or med school depending on when the picture was actually taken, assuming he's one of them in the picture) make a guy "racist" 35 years later?  Serious question. 

....~35 years ago.  Does a bad horrible joke in college (or med school depending on when the picture was actually taken, assuming he's one of them in the picture) make a guy "racist" 35 years later?  Serious question. 
Depending on the team....... of course

Users who are viewing this thread