What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AMI tries to extort Jeff Bezos (1 Viewer)

Maybe Cohen and Pecker could have simply told the JUDGE that and gotten off the hook entirely, and then Stormy and McDougal would have gone to jail or needed immunity.

Weirdly though, they didn't.
And again, like the Bezos story, we need to understand the difference between a “business offer” and extortion.

a careful legal analysis is needed.  

This is great and all, but doesn't it seem like we all would have been better off if he'd contacted the FBI to let them run a sting operation?
I'm sure Bezos went to SDNY FBI/DOJ as soon as the hack happened and again as soon as the letter happened. The guy also has his own investigation team. This thing needs a Liam Neeson voiceover.

Key Breadcrumbs in the Bezos Post

In addition to the all the bombshellish parts of that Jeff Bezos posts I discussed below, there are a few breadcrumbs strewn through the text that may reveal more than it seems on a quick read. Let’s go over them.

“I engaged investigators to learn how those texts were obtained, and to determine the motives for the many unusual actions taken by the Enquirer. As it turns out, there are now several independent investigations looking into this matter.”
We can’t be certain. But this strongly suggests that there are already criminal investigations underway into what happened here. Those could be in one of the jurisdictions where potential bad acts occurred (Los Angeles or Seattle, perhaps). It could be in New York since AMI is already tangled up with the the Trump Organization/Michael Cohen investigation. It could be state or federal. We don’t know. It is also possible there are congressional investigations and even conceivably counter-intelligence investigations, for reasons I’ll get to in a moment. One thing is clear. If Bezos is being on the up and up here this is already a more serious situation than we realized.

Gosh if only there was an independent arbiter well steeped in the law who could look at the facts of the case.
You should wave it up the legal talking guys to explain the applicable statutes and variou loopholes used to get around what is ethically extortion.....

You should wave it up the legal talking guys to explain the applicable statutes and variou loopholes used to get around what is ethically extortion.....
:shrug: Amigo, Cohen/Stormy/McDougal is in the can, it's a done deal, it's been decided. - Now, I'm pretty sure Pecker and AMI have a cohort of Manhattan lawyers in very tall buildings whom they will pay handsomely to make just that argument. Because they're gonna need to do just that.

Bezos would have absolutely no problem showing up in court and subjecting himself to any disclosure and questions they want to ask him. You think Trump would do the same in regards to the Stormy situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Threatening to ruin someone’s reputation in order to gain an advantage in a civil litigation situation is an unforgivable action for a lawyer and a crime. 
This was AMI's in house counsel, right? Not some outside law firm? I think what happens sometimes is that people think if a lawyer does it then that makes it fine. Like there's some magic bubble that protects them from all inspection into anything supposedly privileged and it's all just a legal argument. Enron thought that. Trump thought that with Cohen. The belief is if a lawyer writes it and signs it well damnit it's legal, cloaking shield engaged.

Karen MacDougal sold her story to the National Enquirer.  She didn't go to Trump and say "I'm gonna sell my story unless you give me a million dollars."  That would have been extortion.
What Rove posted is a talking point I've been hearing the last couple of weeks. "That whore Stormy Daniels told Trump pay me or I'm going to the press!"  There must be some significance to that. 

Think about this for a moment:  Our POTUS praises Fox News and The National Enquirer while calling the NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, and others the "Enemy of the People".

ETA -- I learned that the National Enquirer was complete garbage when I was 7 years old while in the grocery store line asking my mother if it was true that aliens impregnated Kathleen Turner.
And that Hillary actually delivered the baby!

What Rove posted is a talking point I've been hearing the last couple of weeks. "That whore Stormy Daniels told Trump pay me or I'm going to the press!"  There must be some significance to that. 
Next week, the Orange One will remark that "A lot of people are saying...."

This was AMI's in house counsel, right? Not some outside law firm? I think what happens sometimes is that people think if a lawyer does it then that makes it fine. Like there's some magic bubble that protects them from all inspection into anything supposedly privileged and it's all just a legal argument. Enron thought that. Trump thought that with Cohen. The belief is if a lawyer writes it and signs it well damnit it's legal, cloaking shield engaged.
Isn’t that why lawyers command a large salary ?  They are expected to give sound legal advice and advise clients on applicable laws.   Why else would you hire one?

Next week, the Orange One will remark that "A lot of people are saying...."
This wasn't a political show either. Just a radio show I enjoy that has a Trump supporter on it. Been listening for years and dude seems like a really decent guy in every other way but guess he's hard core republican. Every once in a while they veer off into politics or something and he's made a statement to that effect. Part is shtick for sure but he definitely heard it somewhere. 

Isn’t that why lawyers command a large salary ?  They are expected to give sound legal advice and advise clients on applicable laws.   Why else would you hire one?
I'm not disagreeing with you there. I agree. Pecker and AMI should absolutely defend themselves and make their argument. Mariotti is certainly someone I respect, I think it's a fair point above, the Stormy/McDougal comp is a dead parrot is all.

However, just one other thought on this. - what Bezos did is how a billionaire faced with a claim of kompromat / sexual extortion would react, right? They'd call the authorities, blow the whistle publicly and expose the bastards. - Not attack the investigators. Wouldn't you agree?

I think where a lot of people get tripped up is they assume that, if their lawyer told them it was legal, that gets them off the hook. But if you did something illegal, you are responsible for it. You can't just say, "I was following my lawyer's advice!"

https://twitter.com/Will_Bunch/status/1093859179436101633

this is really getting nuts...there are numerous dots floating out there...will they be connected?

and how crazy is AMI to try this on one of the most powerful people on the planet while facing potential jail time as a result of a plea agreement that can be ripped up if they perform illegal conduct....the Trump admin has basically elevated the worst of the worst on the planet....

On another note..who on earth would want to see nude pictures of Bezos?
He's currently banging Tony Gonzales' ex. She's a hottie. Obviously. like Trump, he gets attention from females because of his power and money. But I'm sure the girls don't come out and tell them that. They play along as if they're physically attracted and turned on by them. She probably requested them. It's not easy being a gold digger.

:lmao:

Brett Kappel, a lawyer specializing in political finance and ethics at Akerman LLP, said AMI's immunity deal could be at risk.

"AMI is looking at the very real possibility that it may be found to have breached the nonprosecution agreement and could be prosecuted both for the crimes that were the subject of the nonprosecution agreement and any subsequent crimes," Kappel told CNBC.

"In addition, the lawyers involved will almost certainly face disciplinary proceedings by the New York State Bar and could be disbarred," Kappel added.

Sometimes to pay them large sums of money to do things you don’t want to get caught doing.  Those lawyers should be disbarred.  

:lmao:

Brett Kappel, a lawyer specializing in political finance and ethics at Akerman LLP, said AMI's immunity deal could be at risk.

"AMI is looking at the very real possibility that it may be found to have breached the nonprosecution agreement and could be prosecuted both for the crimes that were the subject of the nonprosecution agreement and any subsequent crimes," Kappel told CNBC.

"In addition, the lawyers involved will almost certainly face disciplinary proceedings by the New York State Bar and could be disbarred," Kappel added.
I don’t get it.  That would happen in Louisiana.  Not New York?

I don’t get it.  That would happen in Louisiana.  Not New York?
I am not sure what the basis is for disciplinary action against the lawyers - if the client screws up, the client screws up.  Its unlikely the lawyers counseled AMI to go blackmail the wealthiest person in the country, and see how that works out.

I am not sure what the basis is for disciplinary action against the lawyers - if the client screws up, the client screws up.  Its unlikely the lawyers counseled AMI to go blackmail the wealthiest person in the country, and see how that works out.
The lawyers sent the communications, I believe. 

I think where a lot of people get tripped up is they assume that, if their lawyer told them it was legal, that gets them off the hook. But if you did something illegal, you are responsible for it. You can't just say, "I was following my lawyer's advice!"
Relying on the advice of counsel can be a defense to certain kinds of torts. But in order to raise it, you generally have to waive attorney-client privilege and divulge all the information you provided your attorney (to show that you gave him all the information he needed to form a competent opinion), divulge what the attorney told you, exactly (to show that you actually followed his advice), and explain your basis for believing that the advice was sensible and correct (to show that you were reasonable in relying on that advice, and not just using it as a shield when doing something you knew to be wrong).

I have no idea whether it’s ever a defense in a criminal context, though, as distinct from a tort context.

Last edited by a moderator:
CNBC Now‏Verified account @CNBCnow

FollowFollow @CNBCnow

More

BREAKING: Jeff Bezos reportedly gives info to federal prosecutors related to National Enquirer report

Dont mess with the richest man in the world.
AMI / Pecker can't be feeling too good today...

CNBC Now‏Verified account @CNBCnow

FollowFollow @CNBCnow

More

BREAKING: Jeff Bezos reportedly gives info to federal prosecutors related to National Enquirer report

Dont mess with the richest man in the world.
Courtney Norris‏Verified account @courtneyknorris

FollowFollow @courtneyknorris

More

NEW: Federal prosecutors are reviewing the National Enquirer’s handling of its story about Jeff Bezos’ extramarital affair to determine if the company violated an earlier cooperation deal with prosecutors, according to two people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg News reports.

9:41 AM - 8 Feb 2019

"When the supermarket tabloid asserted two months later that Cruz’s dad took part in a conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy — based on an exceedingly creative interpretation of a decades-old photo of a man who vaguely looked like the elder Cruz handing out pamphlets with Lee Harvey Oswald — Trump gleefully spread the claim to discredit his GOP presidential rival."

:lmao:  So stupid.  What are the odds of the Zodiac Killer's father being involved in the JFK assassination?

"When the supermarket tabloid asserted two months later that Cruz’s dad took part in a conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy — based on an exceedingly creative interpretation of a decades-old photo of a man who vaguely looked like the elder Cruz handing out pamphlets with Lee Harvey Oswald — Trump gleefully spread the claim to discredit his GOP presidential rival."

:lmao:  So stupid.  What are the odds of the Zodiac Killer's father being involved in the JFK assassination?
Exactly the reason I don't have an ounce of respect for Cruz. To watch him cower and suck up to Trump now makes me sick. He called Cruz' wife ugly and his father a murderer and Cruz still kisses his ###. I'd rather lose my next election than be that much of a pansy.

Users who are viewing this thread