What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Too young to feel this old. (1 Viewer)

Standing Hampton

Footballguy
I'm 54  years old and for the last, ballpark, 10 years my physical health has really gone down hill.  Not diseases, mind you, but usually connective tissue, joint related.  I've got degenerative disc disease in my lower back, arthritis in my neck, tendinitis in both elbows as well as a myriad of other aches and pains.  I am a high school football and baseball coach and I believe that a lot of my afflictions are related to this, especially the elbow problems.  I've been to the orthopedic, the chiropractor, my schools trainer, all to get some sort of relief.  Many say the same thing "you need to rest"....right.  My schedule won't allow it.  

I use ice every day, some sort of anti-inflammatory, i.e. Naproxen, and stretching.  I spoke to my trainers and my elbows are from this...my left elbow has tendinitis from hitting fungos and my right from throwing constantly.  

So this is what I have to look forward to.  I guess it could be worse, I could have a sedentary lifestyle and be a big-fat-tub-of-goo.

I'm 54  years old and for the last, ballpark, 10 years my physical health has really gone down hill.  Not diseases, mind you, but usually connective tissue, joint related.  I've got degenerative disc disease in my lower back, arthritis in my neck, tendinitis in both elbows as well as a myriad of other aches and pains.  I am a high school football and baseball coach and I believe that a lot of my afflictions are related to this, especially the elbow problems.  I've been to the orthopedic, the chiropractor, my schools trainer, all to get some sort of relief.  Many say the same thing "you need to rest"....right.  My schedule won't allow it.  

I use ice every day, some sort of anti-inflammatory, i.e. Naproxen, and stretching.  I spoke to my trainers and my elbows are from this...my left elbow has tendinitis from hitting fungos and my right from throwing constantly.  

So this is what I have to look forward to.  I guess it could be worse, I could have a sedentary lifestyle and be a big-fat-tub-of-goo.
You can either do what you're told, or suffer. "My schedule won't allow it" is BS. Its far more likely that your ego wont allow it. Have an assistant coach hit fungos and throw bp. It doesn't have to be you. 

You can probably opt to have surgery as well. 

Cjw_55106 said:
You can either do what you're told, or suffer. "My schedule won't allow it" is BS. Its far more likely that your ego wont allow it. Have an assistant coach hit fungos and throw bp. It doesn't have to be you. 

You can probably opt to have surgery as well. 
This, kinda. 

54 is young if we're talking about dying or needing a cane or something. But it's not exactly young in terms of anything else. You simply cannot do the things you used to do. And that's ok. 

Standing Hampton said:
I get the more aches & ailments life hits you with.

I am in a similar situation .... 55 yo, (56 in 6 weeks).... been coaching youth sports 20+ years, played baseball/football until JR year HS.  I also umpire baseball 3x/week during Spring & Falls seasons too.  Work has me travelling 30% now too with "merger/split" activity.  

The best thing I found for me was SWIMMING as my exercise routine 2-3x/week early in the morning (6-7am).  It helps all the muscle groups.  It helped cardio, respiratory and low resistance workout.  Now granted I was also a competitive swimmer (AAU/pre-Olympic caliber in the late 70's early 80's) so I enjoy swimming.  When I don't swim for a few weeks, I feel the difference.   

I only take Anti Inflammatory non-steroid medication (Advil/Ibuprofen) if I miss swimming for 2 weeks or so due to travel or schedule issues.  I can feel the difference it makes.  

Good luck!  

I have/had serious elbow tendonitis and related junk.  Using a flexbar regularly helped me get past it.

I am 55 and used to be a pretty serious runner.  I have been told I need two new knees and a new hip.  I go through joints like Bob Marley!

Who knew cartilage was a thing?

I still run a little.  I mostly lift weights now.  

GL Standing H.  I feel your pain. Daily.

Swimming is good.  I do a lot of yoga and cycling.  Increased flexibility and a stronger core can help with back pain and prevent future injuries.

Both of my daughters are primarily water sport athletes.  They both play contact sports and they both get injured, but the constant punishment on the joints just isn’t there.  I really hope this makes aging easier.

I turn 70 in July.

Ran track (sprints. long jump) all thru school, played 20 years organized football (school, navy, city league-flags) and have been bangin' clangin' them weights since I was 15 (no in boot camp).

I don't pop out of bed with that...GRRRRRR let me at it.....anymore, and when I do play football, basketball now I wouldn't be able to go to the after game dance....also.  But, other than that I;m just as strong as ever, can still zooommm for a good 20. Nothing hurts, no hair growing out of an ear, nothing going on that...........so old and feeble.....at all.

I don't do drugs since the 60's, don't eat pure junk,  never drink two days in a row. Have a workout routine and stick to it.  A great sex life, don't worry about things I can't control. Read an hour a day everyday.  Get plenty of sleep/rest. 

54,  you should be doing a hell of a lot better. At 54 I could go to the after game dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the more aches & ailments life hits you with.

I am in a similar situation .... 55 yo, (56 in 6 weeks).... been coaching youth sports 20+ years, played baseball/football until JR year HS.  I also umpire baseball 3x/week during Spring & Falls seasons too.  Work has me travelling 30% now too with "merger/split" activity.  

The best thing I found for me was SWIMMING as my exercise routine 2-3x/week early in the morning (6-7am).  It helps all the muscle groups.  It helped cardio, respiratory and low resistance workout.  Now granted I was also a competitive swimmer (AAU/pre-Olympic caliber in the late 70's early 80's) so I enjoy swimming.  When I don't swim for a few weeks, I feel the difference.   

I only take Anti Inflammatory non-steroid medication (Advil/Ibuprofen) if I miss swimming for 2 weeks or so due to travel or schedule issues.  I can feel the difference it makes.  

Good luck!  
👍 Another vote for swimming

My gym is part of the local hospital, the wellness center. I only use it for the pool, trying to get there 3x each week. 

Every time I go there are 5-10 people in their 60s or older, one guy is in his mid 80s. They're all fairly healthy, the 80yo has elbow and shoulder issues, he can't reach his arm straight forward (can make sharing a lane an adventure in getting hit every lap) but he's out there and it obviously helps. 

I don't have too many health issues yet but I do get sore and stiff from running and lifting. Swimming and cycling just make me feel better. 

I keep telling myself I need to do yoga but haven't.  Really should change that soon.

Swimming is good.  I do a lot of yoga and cycling.  Increased flexibility and a stronger core can help with back pain and prevent future injuries.

Both of my daughters are primarily water sport athletes.  They both play contact sports and they both get injured, but the constant punishment on the joints just isn’t there.  I really hope this makes aging easier.
Was going to suggest most of this.  The other thing I would investigate is low carb diet - seems to help a lot of people with inflammation.

Good luck sonny getting that senior citizen discount.
My first job was as a host in a family restaurant.  We offered a 5% discount to senior citizens.  The breakfast special was $1.25.  There were more occasions than I care to count in which I would forget to hit the button for the discount, causing the old man to growl, "Did you remember the discount?" I'd apologize and offer to ring up the bill again.  They snatch the change and mumble something along the lines of "forget it". 

Morale of the story: Senior citizens love loose change.

My first job was as a host in a family restaurant.  We offered a 5% discount to senior citizens.  The breakfast special was $1.25.  There were more occasions than I care to count in which I would forget to hit the button for the discount, causing the old man to growl, "Did you remember the discount?" I'd apologize and offer to ring up the bill again.  They snatch the change and mumble something along the lines of "forget it". 

Morale of the story: Senior citizens love loose change.
I'm guessing they wanted it to tip the waitress their 5% on that $1.25.

I'm 54  years old and for the last, ballpark, 10 years my physical health has really gone down hill.
Do you have any known food allergies? If you're sensitive to anything - or have acquired a sensitivity to something - like gluten for example, that would definitely explain the downward trend you described. What is your diet like? If you're still eating wheat I'd recommend cutting it out long-term, like a couple months, and then reevaluating. I'd bet money that this is something you're eating/drinking and it's slowly defeating you. I would bet money on it, sincerely. Talk a little bit and give some details about your diet/known allergies first..

If you are throwing BP stop. Terrible for the lower back as you age. Don’t throw long toss. Give them a bucket and let them throw to you. 

Become a fanatic about stretching. I have a foam roller and bands next to my bed and do floor work every night before going to bed. Get stretched and aligned. Amazing how I don’t wake up aching and stiff anymore. 

Yoga is great as is the pool. But just stop irritating your body. Listen to it. 

Screw rest. 

I have been dealing with some neck and shoulder issues.  Rotator cuff, bast posture, possibly pinched nerve.  I did some PT last year and I was amazed at how flexible I got with the stretching exercise.  However the real improvement came when I started adding resistance exercises.  Now I've actually started doing weight training at the gym a couple times a week and I feel great.  I haven't done it for 15 years.

If you are throwing BP stop. Terrible for the lower back as you age. Don’t throw long toss. Give them a bucket and let them throw to you. 

Become a fanatic about stretching. I have a foam roller and bands next to my bed and do floor work every night before going to bed. Get stretched and aligned. Amazing how I don’t wake up aching and stiff anymore. 

Yoga is great as is the pool. But just stop irritating your body. Listen to it. 
We've got an "Iron Mike" machine now, but I'll still throw in the cages.  I threw on Monday and didn't feel bad at all.  All flat ground, no slope.  That's why the strain of pitching comes from, throwing on a hill.  

I've been to the chiro for the first time in 10 years, when I was diagnosed with DDD and he said he couldn't help me anymore, and times have changed.  This chiropractor is a former Ga. Tech baseball player and he knows exactly what I do and how to adjust me.  Lower back or neck hasn't been bothering me since I've been.  I also adjusted the way I read at night and that's helped.  

I'll never stop the hands of time, just trying to slow it down.

on the products you recommended, what's the dosage frequency and how will one know if/when it's "working"
It's expensive if you get the good stuff.  I would take double the recommended dosage for a full week and see how you feel.  As far as working, I guess it depends on what your problems are.   I'll try to follow back up with more info..

I'll echo eat right and loose weight if that's an issue. I sure know the difference when I've eaten carbs.

Stretching helps me, like the yoga.

Get some plain jell-o and mix it into some drink you like, it's made from bone marrow. 

Weight training and stretching really will do wonders.  Oh and butting booze back helps too.

In a nutshell, getting old sucks. 

the good stuff
Indeed. I was skeptical because they talked me into purchasing some CBD gummy bears once. Not even in the same realm. Got the sun god green dragon today. And that's kind of good for me right off the bat because I consider myself a sun worshiper. Equinoxes are like holidays to me. I wish I'd known to dilute it at first because I dropped a dropper full under my tongue and it burned pretty good. After that I drove to my friend's play, which was like an hour away, so I had time to myself on a pitch black country road to absorb the situation, so to speak, and it turned out pretty good. I'm dosing like you recommended, twice a day for a week to experiment. So far it's affected my anxiety levels and focus, both in a good way - two things I didn't even realize I'd been struggling with. I got two so am maybe going to give one to my chick as a gift. It looks like it's made it's way into my herb rotation though, so thank you for the recommendation.

stretching
Just finished this book today. This guy is like the baddest ### Navy SEAL that's ever lived.

I flashed back to a session with an expert in stretching and advanced physical and mental training methods the SEALs brought to our base in Coronado in 2010 named Joe Hippensteel. Joe was an undersized decathlete in college, driven to make the Olympic team. But when you’re a 5’8” guy going up against world-class decathletes who average 6’3” that isn’t easy. He decided to build up his lower body so he could override his genetics to jump higher and run faster than his bigger, stronger opponents. At one point he was squatting twice his own body weight for ten sets of ten reps in one session, but with that increase in muscle mass came a lot of tension, and tension invited injury. The harder he trained, the more injuries he developed and the more physical therapists he visited. When he was told he tore his hamstring before the trials, his Olympic dream died, and he realized he needed to change the way he trained his body. He began balancing his strength work with extensive stretching and noticed whenever he reached a certain range of motion in a given muscle group or joint, whatever pain lingered, vanished.

He became his own guinea pig and developed optimal ranges of motion for every muscle and joint in the human body. He never went to the doctor or physical therapists again because he found his own methodologies much more effective. If an injury cropped up, he treated himself with a stretching regimen. Over the years he built up a clientele and reputation among elite athletes in the area, and in 2010, was introduced to some Navy SEALs. Word spread at Naval Special Warfare Command and he was eventually invited to introduce his range of motion routine to about two dozen SEALs. I was one of them.

As he lectured, he examined and stretched us out. The problem with most of the guys, he said, was our overuse of muscles without the appropriate balance of flexibility, and those issues traced back to Hell Week, when we were asked to do thousands of flutter kicks, then lie back in cold water with waves washing over us. He estimated it would take twenty hours of intensive stretching using his protocol to get most of us back to a normal range of motion in the hips, which can then be maintained, he said, with just twenty minutes of stretching every day. Optimal range of motion required a larger commitment. When he got to me he took a good look and shook his head. As you know, I’d tasted three Hell Weeks. He started to stretch me out, and said I was so locked up it was like trying to stretch steel cables. “You’re gonna need hundreds of hours,” he said.

I came up with a routine, starting at my neck and shoulders before moving into the hips, psoas, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves. Stretching became my new obsession. I bought a massage ball to tenderize my psoas. I propped a board up against a closed door at a seventy-degree angle and used it to stretch out my calf. I’d been suffering for the better part of two years, and after several months of continual stretching, I noticed the bump at the base of my skull had started to shrink, along with the knots around my hip flexors, and my overall health and energy level improved. I wasn’t anywhere close to flexible yet, and I wasn’t completely back to myself, but I was off all but my thyroid medication, and the more I stretched the more my condition improved. I kept at it for at least six hours a day for weeks. Then months and years. I’m still doing it.

Thanks to all that stretching, I’m in better shape at forty-three than I was in my twenties. Back then I was always sick, wound tight, and stressed out. I never analyzed why I kept getting stress fractures. I just taped that #### up. No matter what ailed my body or my mind I had the same solution. Tape it up and move the #### on. Now I’m smarter than I’ve ever been. And I’m still getting after it.

Goggins, David. Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds (p. 354). Lioncrest Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Users who are viewing this thread