What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (2 Viewers)

ffmail4me said:
So early are you guys taking him a PPR dynasty?
I’ve seen him go as high as 5 and no lower than 12. I considered him at 1.05 in one draft but waited and took him at 1.11 instead. I think he may start to creep up as the summer goes on- he seems to be going cliser to 1.09-1.12, but by August he could be inching closer to 1.06-1.09 range more often. 

I took him at 1.03 in TE premium.  First two were Jacobs and Sanders.  I would have been torn if Sanders was still OTB but bottom line, I like his long term chances better than any WR and I'm not a fan of Montgomery.  I also have Kittle and Goedert on this rebuild orphan so I'm hoping to see him play well this year and allow me to deal Kittle for value.

Just snagged him at 1.08 in a 16 team TE PPR IDP league (not mandatory to start a TE just higher PPR). Had the choice between him and Fant and as we have 3 taxi slots for rookies that once they go on can stay there for as long as I felt he was a better long term prospect. I'm sure Fant may have better 1 year numbers, but in the long run I'm excited. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions OTA notebook: First impressions from the first open day

Excerpt:

There are a lot of tight ends

T.J. Hockenson gets all the attention, and rightly so for being a top-10 draft pick. He snagged a high laser from Cook for an impressive red zone TD in drills to announce his presence with authority. But he’s just one of many new faces at tight end.

Free agent signee Jesse James is conspicuous with his size, a legit 6-foot-7. He also has a distinctive gait when he runs. Logan Thomas, Jerome Cunningham and rookie Isaac Nauta all had positive moments in practice.

Then there’s holdover Michael Roberts, who appears to be in a battle to find a roster spot. He was the only TE I didn’t mark a “+” next to on my roster, my system for keeping track of wins/losses during practice. Granted it was a very small sample size on the second day of everyone working in new OC Darrell Bevell’s system, but it’s not an auspicious start for Roberts.

TWENTYMAN: 5 takeaways from OTAs Week 2

Excerpt:

Tight ends standing out

Jesse James, T.J. Hockenson and Logan Thomas are looking like a big upgrade at the position for Detroit this year, and we still haven’t seen Isaac Nauta as he rehabs from injury.

James, Hockenson and Thomas have all made plays down the field either in the seam or along the sideline.

It’s really given the Lions’ skill positions a significant upgrade overall. Kerryon Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr., Danny Amendola, Hockenson, James and a mix of others are a nice collection of players at the skill spots.

It will be fun to watch those tight ends when the pads come on in training camp and we start to see the kind of versatility among that group.
Jesse James and Logan Thomas are the veteran players with the NFL game experience; however, they don’t represent much of an obstacle for Hockenson to ascend he depth chart to the starting role IMHO.

A note on T.J. Hockenson: Unlike the Lions' prior first round picks Frank Ragnow, Jarrad Davis and Taylor Decker, he hasn't received a ton of first-team reps. Part of that could be due to Jesse James also needing to learn the offense. There's also that Hockenson could be learning different parts with different units. But something to consider early on, although tight end is a very difficult position to learn.

Michael Rothstein, ESPN Staff Writer
Source: 2019 NFL minicamp live: Best of rookies, veterans from around the league

if I miss on the top 3 and end up snagging a Cook or McDonald or something late.....I am leaning toward following that up pretty quickly with TJ as my TE2.....he may be different than your normal rookie TE.... I think he could be top 10 pretty easy this year with this group of TE's and so many question marks......really high upside is there IMO and I think he can get there in that offense and with Stafford....

if I miss on the top 3 and end up snagging a Cook or McDonald or something late.....I am leaning toward following that up pretty quickly with TJ as my TE2.....he may be different than your normal rookie TE.... I think he could be top 10 pretty easy this year with this group of TE's and so many question marks......really high upside is there IMO and I think he can get there in that offense and with Stafford....
repost from Lions thread:

Draft Hock is if you think he’ll blow up early & want to save the FABB. If you’re spending draft capital early, Kittle has an early bye, the other two studs are late. I’ve been trying to grab Howard or Henry around the 58/63 (5/6) turn and sometimes take Hock at 154/159 (13/14) if he’s around, but if he creeps up to where I have to take him at 130/135 (11/12) I’ll probably pass. 

James is gonna take a lot of snaps and some targets. We’ll see how it plays out but I expect he’ll be inconsistent with not much market share. I don’t think he’s a generational talent but he’s def a very good all around TE. 

Realistically how many targets will he see in 2019? Rookie targets:

Kelce 87* (second year - not a good comp IMO)

Kittle 63

Ertz 56

Howard 39

Ebron 49

Njoku 60

Gronkowski 59 (ten TDS!)

I think 60 is probably about right, 70 would be amazing. If we give him a great percentages because he’s special, maybe

42-49 catches 

450-600 yards 

4-6 TDs 

Like I said, 13th-16th round, why not. If I have to take him where it might mean passing on Eckler as my RB4 or MVS as my WR5 or Lamar

ECR this week is TE23, Consensus ADP is TE15 (139.) I don’t think you have to reach for him much before the 12th. If you miss out, plenty of other TEs who are undervalued (Rudolph, Andrews, Reed, Doyle, Goedert) to be had late.

Expert Consensus Ranking: TE22

ALLEN PARK -- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was up and down on his first day of work against the New England Patriots, as you might expect. This was his first opportunity to work against a defense that wasn’t his own, after all, and it came against one of the best secondaries in the league at that.

On Day 2, Stafford struck back.

And like so much of camp, he seemed to be at his best when targeting his tight ends -- and T.J. Hockenson in particular.

In their first one-on-one rep, Hockenson separated from Devin McCourty on an out route and Stafford rifled a strike to him just as he was emerging from his break. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that route and throw seem like an indefensible play, at least in man coverage.

Duron Harmon’s solution was to rough up Hockenson on his next rep, and even drew a flag for it -- yet Hockenson ran a perfect flag route anyway, separated from the coverage and caught a dart from Stafford for a huge gain.

Hockenson nearly caught a touchdown during seven-on-sevens in the red zone, when he fought through another penalty to climb the ladder for the catch. But officials ruled he landed on the back line of the end zone.

Detroit and New England wrapped up practice with 2-minute drills, this time giving the offenses the ball at the 43-yard line with 40 seconds left and down by four points. It mirrored a drill from Monday where the Lions needed a sack to be waved off for them to even get off a field goal. A day later, though, the whole operation looked much tighter.

Stafford began the series by nailing Danny Amendola for about 9 yards, then clocking the ball. On third down, he hit Amendola again to move the chains. After a really nice throw-and-catch with Andy Jones along the left sideline, Detroit had two shots at the end zone from the 13-yard line with 7 seconds left.

They would need only one of them.

Hockenson -- who else? -- ran a skinny post on the next play, and Stafford put the ball where only his big rookie could get it for a 13-yard go-ahead score with 2 seconds left. That was a surgical drive, capped by a surgical throw to a rookie tight end who continues to impress. And it came against one of the better defenses and best secondaries in the league.

Stafford hasn’t been bad in camp, but he’s missed more throws than I’m used to seeing in situational drills and especially downfield. But he was much better Tuesday than he was Monday, and that’s the point of these joint practices, isn’t it? To get better. And there’s little doubt Stafford and the offense did just that.

This kid has been balling out since he stepped on the Lions facilities. 

I don't think it's a stretch to expect top 10 production in his rookie year. 
I love Hock. This is very optimistic. I'm hoping for a TE2 season with maybe a handful of games where hes scoring TE1 numbers, showing he can be a top 10 someday. 

However IMO if he is a top 10 TE it's because of his TDs

I’m drawn more to guys who demonstrate they can play the position *and have a knack for getting open (e.g. Witten, Olsen, Howard, at the highest end Gronk) and I see Hock fitting that bill. But yeah we usually have to be patient. I think he shows signs in his rookie year and lands on plenty of breakout lists over the summer. 

I like Hock as much as the next guy but the horse has left the barn on any chance at getting him as a value pick in re-draft. He's going as TE12 in the early/mid 11th round on FFC mocks and still rising. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 10th round as TE11 over Hooper by draft day with all the praise he continues to get. If you want him you'll have to grab him as your starting TE. 

They’re going to run a lot of two TE sets - he’s an outstanding in line blocker - and they’ll be more run heavy than any previous Lions team in the Stafford era. The defense is probably better then most experts realize. 

He makes everything look easy, has looked like he belongs from Day One. I actually don’t think it’s the typical “learning his craft” caveat that applies to most rookie TEs but that the inefficient offense that will govern his production. They’ll be in the bottom 10 in plays run while Hock has looked great in TC, so has MJJ, Golladay and even starter Jesse James (who is only 24 himself.)

Likely be a TD dependent streamer this year.

They’re going to run a lot of two TE sets - he’s an outstanding in line blocker - and they’ll be more run heavy than any previous Lions team in the Stafford era. The defense is probably better then most experts realize. 

He makes everything look easy, has looked like he belongs from Day One. I actually don’t think it’s the typical “learning his craft” caveat that applies to most rookie TEs but that the inefficient offense that will govern his production. They’ll be in the bottom 10 in plays run while Hock has looked great in TC, so has MJJ, Golladay and even starter Jesse James (who is only 24 himself.)

Likely be a TD dependent streamer this year.
Yes the guy can play for sure, but he is still dependent on the rest of the offense and the playcalling.

According to Yahoo's Terez Paylor, first-round TE T.J. Hockenson will "likely" begin the year as the Lions' No. 2 tight end behind Jesse James.

It's certainly not a life sentence and Hockenson, who garnered All-Big 10 status while earning the John Mackey Award last year at Iowa, will surely leapfrog James at some point. Paylor notes that how quickly Hockenson ascends to lead status in Detroit will depend on his grasp of coverage schemes and his development as a run-blocker. Working in his favor, Matthew Stafford seems to "genuinely like" Hockenson, who has impressed him by staying in "constant communication" in an effort to earn the long-tenured quarterback's trust. Hockenson's future is bright, though the Lions may opt to treat this as more of a learning year for the promising 22-year-old.

RELATED: 

Jesse James

SOURCE: Terez Paylor on Twitter

Aug 12, 2019, 10:01 AM ET

Lions first-round TE T.J. Hockenson nabbed 3-of-4 targets for 52 yards in the Lions' third preseason game against the Bills.

Hockenson's four targets from Stafford tied Danny Amendola for the first-team lead. It was exactly the kind of outing you would expect from the most explosive tight end in this year's class as the Iowa product ran himself open for a 32-yard gain over the middle but seemingly dropped a would-be wide-open touchdown on the ensuing drive. It was still a terrific showing for the rookie as his rapport with the franchise signal-caller flashed instantly. Hockenson will likely open the season behind free agent acquisition Jesse James, but the former should be drafted well before the ex-Steelers blocker.

Aug 23, 2019, 9:40 PM ET

124 and a TD so far. He's wayyyyyy legit.

Most yards ever by a rookie TE in his debut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicking myself for not grabbing him late in my other league. No way I get him on waivers this week.

Users who are viewing this thread