What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Outrage Culture (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
It's so weird to see how bad this has gotten lately.  If something happens, you can either be accepting of it or hate it with the fury of a thousand suns.  There is no more in between.  I think media fans a lot of the flames of this, especially since reporting has essentially become this template:

(Insert outrageous click-bait headline) "Here's proof:" (Post 7 random Twitter posts that hit 11 on the anger scale.)

I'm not a Grammy watcher, but I saw a headline this morning that said people are outraged because they misspelled Kacey Musgrave's name wrong on the screen when she won last night.  Then they posted random tweets from people calling for boycotts of the network.  Or saying that it was the worst thing they'd ever witnessed.

Am I wrong in thinking it's going to take a war (where U.S. men and women are drafted, you know, because we're equals) to put people's perspectives back in reality?  Is anyone else amazed by this?  

In fact, it makes me so angry because I've never been more offended in my life. It might be the worst thing to ever happen to me.

Damn it, I have been missing out of so much.  I need to subscribe to Twitter to find out what I need to be outraged by.   :rant:

It's so weird to see how bad this has gotten lately.  If something happens, you can either be accepting of it or hate it with the fury of a thousand suns.  There is no more in between.  I think media fans a lot of the flames of this, especially since reporting has essentially become this template:

(Insert outrageous click-bait headline) "Here's proof:" (Post 7 random Twitter posts that hit 11 on the anger scale.)

I'm not a Grammy watcher, but I saw a headline this morning that said people are outraged because they misspelled Kacey Musgrave's name wrong on the screen when she won last night.  Then they posted random tweets from people calling for boycotts of the network.  Or saying that it was the worst thing they'd ever witnessed.

Am I wrong in thinking it's going to take a war (where U.S. men and women are drafted, you know, because we're equals) to put people's perspectives back in reality?  Is anyone else amazed by this?  

In fact, it makes me so angry because I've never been more offended in my life. It might be the worst thing to ever happen to me.
It feeds itself too.  People get all excited when their stupid tweets are shown and retweeted.  It's like they are encouraging people to be morons.

Also, if you're not just as outraged as I am over the thing I'm outraged about, you're literally Hitler.

Damn it, I have been missing out of so much.  I need to subscribe to Twitter to find out what I need to be outraged by.   :rant:
You don't need Twitter.  Open any "news" article and that's all they post.  Random tweets from random people.  Pulitzer Prize winning formula right there.

The people that were outraged and tweeted stuff, should be embarrassed that they watched the Grammys. I didn't know people actually watched crap like that anymore.

The people that were outraged and tweeted stuff, should be embarrassed that they watched the Grammys. I didn't know people actually watched crap like that anymore.
I didn’t even know it was on last night, the lack of advertising is outrageous!

Also who is Kacey Musgrave and are there any nudes?

I think a lot of it only exists in little social media/blog bubbles. If you bring these things up to people face to face, they often have no clue what one is even talking about. 

I think a lot of it only exists in little social media/blog bubbles. If you bring these things up to people face to face, they often have no clue what one is even talking about. 
I disagree, slightly.  While I do think it can be a small bubble, the media putting it in their main news stories gets it out to more people.  Which allows more people to become upset.  Or upset at the people becoming upset.  

I disagree, slightly.  While I do think it can be a small bubble, the media putting it in their main news stories gets it out to more people.  Which allows more people to become upset.  Or upset at the people becoming upset.  
Certainly some of it filters through to the mainstream but I still feel like 90% of the things I see people outraged about on Twitter  don't filter through since they are just so specific to whatever that community is (conservatives, LGBTQ, etc.)

I was just thinking about this today. Some ####### wrote an article about Resident Evil 2 and how it's a terrible game that placates to toxic male standards and isn't based in reality.  This mind you is based solely on the author playing the game for less than 30 mins of the demo FOR A GAME ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK IN THE 90'S!

These "journalists" basically find the latest popular thing, write a cut and paste slant piece that fits their agenda and then throw it out to the masses to be angry over. They get those on their side to retweet it and give kudos and those against them to say WTF is wrong with you. Either way, they get clicks. They become famous or infamous (which doesn't seem to make a difference to these people) and then they move on to the next popular thing to latch on to for a week.

Certainly some of it filters through to the mainstream but I still feel like 90% of the things I see people outraged about on Twitter  don't filter through since they are just so specific to whatever that community is (conservatives, LGBTQ, etc.)
I'm not on Twitter.  I only see it in 90% of the articles on line I read.

I was just thinking about this today. Some ####### wrote an article about Resident Evil 2 and how it's a terrible game that placates to toxic male standards and isn't based in reality.  This mind you is based solely on the author playing the game for less than 30 mins of the demo FOR A GAME ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK IN THE 90'S!

These "journalists" basically find the latest popular thing, write a cut and paste slant piece that fits their agenda and then throw it out to the masses to be angry over. They get those on their side to retweet it and give kudos and those against them to say WTF is wrong with you. Either way, they get clicks. They become famous or infamous (which doesn't seem to make a difference to these people) and then they move on to the next popular thing to latch on to for a week.
This is another thing.  People have been taught (somehow) that if they believe something, EVERYONE believes the same thing.  And if they don't, they are amazed, shocked, and think the other people are idiots.  It's strange.  But you are exactly right.

I’m beginning to come around on that idea that social media and the internet being our societal downfall - honestly I don’t think there really is the outrage but people insist on sharing any and all thoughts that they have with everyone.  And click-bait articles are just that, click-bait.  They are intentionally over the top to get views and generate outrage (real or fake).

That was kind of my point.  That's why I said lately.  God!  This is literally the worst response I could've gotten on this thread.  :angry:
Again, I am outraged by your outrageous response, please stop or I will graduate to being offended!

On a side note, I don't do it often but on occasion, when bored, it's fun to interject yourself into a discussion with complete strangers and "wake" a few of the "woke". It really takes very little effort and provides hours of fun.

I’m beginning to come around on that idea that social media and the internet being our societal downfall - honestly I don’t think there really is the outrage but people insist on sharing any and all thoughts that they have with everyone.  And click-bait articles are just that, click-bait.  They are intentionally over the top to get views and generate outrage (real or fake).
The biggest issue with click bait is, these used to be legit news sites. Now days, they dont even seem to care if the story is a small semblance of the truth.  

It isn't social media - it's dumb, simple minded people.  Social media just offers a platform for their own unique idiocy.  And those bubbles are profit centers.  It's on us as a society to just quite simply be better than this.  We're consistently showing that we're not.

It’s a neat little outrage economy we’ve created online. A handful of idiots get mad about  something on twitter, then come the clickbait-y articles ________ group is now outraged about _________!!!, then people get mad at the articles for unfairly representing a large swath of people, and on and on. I wonder why quitting social media tends to make people happier.

What media are you reading where the typo was a main story of theirs?

This gets clicks. Blowhards like Limbaugh or hot take sports talk yellers get ratings. People like outrageous stuff.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal/

"Consider an observation from Erich Fromm, the Marxist-Freudian social critic whose Escape from Freedom was required reading only a generation ago. (It remains worth reading.) Fromm believed that the disruption of the medieval social order by the early stirrings of what we would come to call “capitalism” left Europeans of all classes uncertain and anxious about their status: social, political, economic, and religious. He connected this to the rise of Protestantism and also to the genesis of something much more relevant to our own disruption-convulsed culture of social-media obsession:

'This underlying insecurity resulting from the position of an isolated individual in a hostile world tends to explain the genesis of a character trait which was . . . characteristic of the individual of the Renaissance and not present, at least in the same intensity, in the member of the medieval social structure: his passionate craving for fame. If the meaning of life has become doubtful, if one’s relations to others and to oneself do not offer security, then fame is one means to silence one’s doubts. It has a function to be compared with that of the Egyptian pyramids or the Christian faith in immortality: it elevates one’s individual life from its limitations and instability to the plane of indestructibility; if one’s name is known to one’s contemporaries and if one can hope that it will last for centuries, then one’s life has meaning and significance by this very reflection of it in the judgments of others.'

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal/

"Consider an observation from Erich Fromm, the Marxist-Freudian social critic whose Escape from Freedom was required reading only a generation ago. (It remains worth reading.) Fromm believed that the disruption of the medieval social order by the early stirrings of what we would come to call “capitalism” left Europeans of all classes uncertain and anxious about their status: social, political, economic, and religious. He connected this to the rise of Protestantism and also to the genesis of something much more relevant to our own disruption-convulsed culture of social-media obsession:

'This underlying insecurity resulting from the position of an isolated individual in a hostile world tends to explain the genesis of a character trait which was . . . characteristic of the individual of the Renaissance and not present, at least in the same intensity, in the member of the medieval social structure: his passionate craving for fame. If the meaning of life has become doubtful, if one’s relations to others and to oneself do not offer security, then fame is one means to silence one’s doubts. It has a function to be compared with that of the Egyptian pyramids or the Christian faith in immortality: it elevates one’s individual life from its limitations and instability to the plane of indestructibility; if one’s name is known to one’s contemporaries and if one can hope that it will last for centuries, then one’s life has meaning and significance by this very reflection of it in the judgments of others.'
Kevin Williamson, right? Just read this yesterday. He quotes Hoffer, too.  

I didn't know who Kacy Musgrove was until today and I've now enjoyed some of her pictures (nice legs) and plan on listening to some of her music today.  I am far from outraged at the moment.

I say, thank you, citizen. 

What media are you reading where the typo was a main story of theirs?
It's not like it was the lead story, but the morning news shows that my wife has on while we're getting ready for work covered it for about 5 minutes.  And I was just using this one story as an example.  The point I was just making was that no one can see a news story anymore and just go, "I disagree with that, but it doesn't bother me."  Just more of a post to discuss.  

It's these types of replies that piss me off to no end.  Who is this Ned guy?  Hitler?  :angry:

I was listening to a podcast the other day where this was mentioned. 

Basically, the gist is we're addicted to outrage. And businesses like FOX and MSNBC have become masters of dealing it to us. 

The thinking is it taps into the deeper "survival areas" of our brain. 

The brain responds to a good story with "That's nice, I'll get to that when I can".

The brain responds to a threat or outrage with "There is danger here. This needs my full attention". 

This method has kept us alive as humans for a long time. So it's hard to say it doesn't work. 

What feels a bit newer is the rapid access to people who want to sell us products through advertisements exploiting this soft spot in human nature. There have always been companies willing to do this, but the accessibility to the messages has never been what it is today. 

Joe Rogan had a university professor on his podcast once. I forget his name. He had an interesting take from the teaching perspective.

He thinks kids today pride themselves on outrage and calling anyone out who toes the PC line. He was reported to the dean several times in the recent years teaching the exact same material he had for the last decade. Students give themselves kudos for making the course a "safer space" and that is what matters to them. 

The end result is teaching a course to the lowest outrage standard now and not to the "reasonable person" standard that he had been teaching to in the 90s and 10s. 

Having a hard time coming up with something where I was really outraged.

I have sports in proper perspective, same with the entertainment world.  Don't get too wrapped up with politics, so...hmmm?

George Orwell was an exceptionally insightful writer who was ahead of his time in many ways.  Thankfully, we haven't gotten to experience a totalitarian dystopia, but he would have recognized outrage culture as the digital equivalent of the Two Minute Hate.  There's something primal and cathartic about hating people from the other tribe, and the outrage of the day helps reinforce tribal bonds.  Social media facilitates this sort of thing in a way that would have been impossible a decade or so ago.

I've been thinking this about this in the context of the comments made by Ilhan Omar re the impact of AIPAC and its influence it, and its money, has on the U.S. political process.  The comment of "All about the benjamins" was deeply anti-semitic?  What? 

It is fairly clear based on her history that Ms. Omar is not a big fan of Israel and its policies.  That said, I don't get the outrage here at all.  I'm Jewish.  Is the "outrage" that Jews exert influence via money?  Is that even a common stereotype? Don't all lobbyists exert influence with money?  Is AIPAC an exclusively Jewish organization?  Being anti-Israeli policies or overt Israeli lobbying interests is not anti-semitic.  What is she apologizing for?

I've been thinking this about this in the context of the comments made by Ilhan Omar re the impact of AIPAC and its influence it, and its money, has on the U.S. political process.  The comment of "All about the benjamins" was deeply anti-semitic?  What? 

It is fairly clear based on her history that Ms. Omar is not a big fan of Israel and its policies.  That said, I don't get the outrage here at all.  I'm Jewish.  Is the "outrage" that Jews exert influence via money?  Is that even a common stereotype? Don't all lobbyists exert influence with money?  Is AIPAC an exclusively Jewish organization?  Being anti-Israeli policies or overt Israeli lobbying interests is not anti-semitic.  What is she apologizing for?
I thought the same thing as to why it was considered anti-Semitic.  I can't say for sure, but I believe it's because of two things: 1. Her obvious past references on how she feels about Israel and Jews.  2. Making statements about Jews and money can be seen as a bad stereotype.  I think if she doesn't have the history, the comment isn't bad.  Just like if I offer a black guy some fried chicken, I'm just being friendly.  But if I've been talking bad about black people my whole life, then post on Twitter about offering some black guy chicken, we all know what I'm implying.

But I understand what you're saying. 

I thought the same thing as to why it was considered anti-Semitic.  I can't say for sure, but I believe it's because of two things: 1. Her obvious past references on how she feels about Israel and Jews.  2. Making statements about Jews and money can be seen as a bad stereotype.  I think if she doesn't have the history, the comment isn't bad.  Just like if I offer a black guy some fried chicken, I'm just being friendly.  But if I've been talking bad about black people my whole life, then post on Twitter about offering some black guy chicken, we all know what I'm implying.

But I understand what you're saying. 
It is funny that you mention her history, because I I was afraid to bring it up as a Jewish person, and, ya know, outrage culture.

Having a hard time coming up with something where I was really outraged.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of this outrage culture is that it often doesn't matter if you're not actually outraged, or even close to it.  If you express a complaint or any other type of negative reaction towards something - no matter how reasonable the complaint or how measured the language used to express it - someone will take it as outrage. 

In reality nobody is really "outraged" 

Read something..send off a tweet like you are upset..then go back to whatever you are doing.

look brohans the truth is that every village has its idiot and now they are all on facebook spouting off with chain emails and lies take that to the bank brohans 

It's ridiculous. You could take the comments sections from 50 different news articles and 75% (or more) would be the exact same arguments and name-calling over and over. It's tiring. I usually just avoid viewing the comments. 

Users who are viewing this thread