What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool mock draft #1 - round 3?? (3 Viewers)

1.08 Lions- Jonah Williams OL Alabama

Ideally I would try to trade down here but I’m not sure I would get offers with who has been taken already. Worst case scenario as I wanted one of the edge rushers. 

So Jonah can play guard this year to replace Lang and Detroit will have an o-line with three 1st round picks. If Detroit decides Decker isn’t worth a big extension or we decide to part ways with Rick Wagner, it gives the Lions a great replacement. 

1.9 Bills - Jawaan Taylor OT Florida 

I think the Bills are almost assuredly trading down unless someone slides to them that they’re in love with.  Going with the top OT on the board as we need to protect Allen.  

Totally caught off guard by Detroit taking Jonah Williams.  He certainly would’ve been the pick.  I don’t think I’ve seen a single mock having the Lions taking Oline.  But some have Taylor projected higher (I personally don’t).  

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Peterson said:
1.9 Bills - Jawaan Taylor OT Florida 

I think the Bills are almost assuredly trading down unless someone slides to them that they’re in love with.  Going with the top OT on the board as we need to protect Allen.  

Totally caught off guard by Detroit taking Jonah Williams.  He certainly would’ve been the pick.  I don’t think I’ve seen a single mock having the Lions taking Oline.  But some have Taylor projected higher (I personally don’t).  
Yeah that was my emergency pick. I assumed Polite would be there. Not sure I can justify the 5th or 6th Best DE at this point. There isn’t a corner I think is worth a top 10 pick so that left me with no choice. If you can’t address a weakness, might as keep a strength strong.

Grahamburn said:
For sure, but if they want him I think they’ll need to move up a spot or 3 once the real bullets start flying. 
I agree - the Jets would have been a great trading partner but since I'm running both teams (and a Jets fan) I didn't think it would be right to pull that off here. I'm also not sure they would ever make a trade in real life out of fear of helping the other team in the market out too much.

I agree - the Jets would have been a great trading partner but since I'm running both teams (and a Jets fan) I didn't think it would be right to pull that off here. I'm also not sure they would ever make a trade in real life out of fear of helping the other team in the market out too much.
It seems like that may have manifested itself last year when the Jets moved up pre-draft.  I was baffled when the Giants stuck with the second pick versus doing a deal with the Jets.  Granted, they landed a generational player, but 3 2nd round picks would have gone a long way to securing a positive future for them. 

The Jets' best bet is probably Jacksonville, but this Bucs' fan hopes the teams wanting QB wait out the top 4 and just want to pay to jump the Giants by one spot. 

You guys are up to speed on these players!

Jonah Williams is an interesting case. He could go anywhere in the first. Opinions are all over on him.

You guys are up to speed on these players!

Jonah Williams is an interesting case. He could go anywhere in the first. Opinions are all over on him.
Been spending a lot more time on the treadmill recently so I've had a lot of podcast time. Hopefully Jonah is really good, otherwise that was a really bad pick.

If this mock is held in April and the Bucs haven't franchised Donovan Smith Williams or Taylor will likely be their first round pick. 

1.10 Denver Broncos - Drew Lock QB Missouri

Everyone has heard by now how much Elway is slobbering over Lock. And why shouldn't he? Keenum can keep the seat warm until they can work on Lock's shortcomings until he takes over mid-season next year.

1.11 Cincinnati Bengals - Devin White LB LSU

"Leading" the way in Cincinnati's historically bad defense was its atrocious linebacking corps. Best player meets biggest need here. An obvious pick.

@Ben & Jerry's is up

1.12 Green Bay selects T.J. Hockenson TE Iowa.

Perhaps not their biggest need, a TE with this ability is hard to pass up. The former Hawkeye can have an immediate impact under Matt LeFleur.
I highly considered him at 8 for the Lions but I just couldn't justify a TE that high- especially after the Ebron debacle. Lions fans won't give a very long leash for another highly drafted TE. I would hate to see him lining up for the Packers though. 

If this mock is held in April and the Bucs haven't franchised Donovan Smith Williams or Taylor will likely be their first round pick. 
Yeah, always tough to do before FA but I am just assuming my teams bomb FA and have all the same holes. Also I think you are up. 

1.10 Denver Broncos - Drew Lock QB Missouri

Everyone has heard by now how much Elway is slobbering over Lock. And why shouldn't he? Keenum can keep the seat warm until they can work on Lock's shortcomings until he takes over mid-season next year.
Care to change it now?

I think they still take Lock. I doubt anyone in the league sees Flacco as anything more than a bridge QB. 
Agreed to a degree. 

Elway wants to win now, there are players here that fit that need better than lock. I don't think he makes that trade if he really wants to draft Lock. 

Give Flacco a tool in his arsenal. 

True, but I suspect Elway is GM-ing for his job. 
I do wonder what kind of safety he has. He did get them to 2 SBs and won a ring. Since the Manning signing, he has whiffed hard on QBs but maybe getting a bridge like Flacco and a "top prospect" like Lock can guarantee him 2 more years. I think going into the year with 2 replacement level veteran QBs (who'se old teams had happily moved on from) is a terible plan to try to save ones job. 

Agreed to a degree. 

Elway wants to win now, there are players here that fit that need better than lock. I don't think he makes that trade if he really wants to draft Lock. 

Fair and they might not. I am not sure how signing a mediocre veteran QB is going to help win now. Also, the weapons there are very suspect. Sanders is over 30 and coming off a devastating injury. He is likely gone. Hamilton and Sutton were highly touted picks but they disappointed last year. There is a chance that neither of them are all that good. There isn't a TE of consequence. 

Fair and they might not. I am not sure how signing a mediocre veteran QB is going to help win now. Also, the weapons there are very suspect. Sanders is over 30 and coming off a devastating injury. He is likely gone. Hamilton and Sutton were highly touted picks but they disappointed last year. There is a chance that neither of them are all that good. There isn't a TE of consequence. 
I still like butt if healthy. 

Metcalf could be really good there.

BRONCOS PICK ADJUSTMENT

1.10 - Denver Broncos - Greedy Williams CB LSU

The Broncos' secondary was routinely abused last year and with turnover might get worse. Fangio is a defensive coach who can get Greedy to play more consistently.

I don't know how the CB class will shake out but GW is certainly one to consider first..

Considered Metcalf and Marquise Brown as well. But the WR class is pretty deep this year.

I still like butt if healthy. 

Metcalf could be really good there.
It's sad what happened to Butt. I thought he would be a solid NFL TE but that is 3 torn ACLs in the last 5 years. I don't have much hope for his future. 

Agreed to a degree. 

Lock made it this far in this mock. I don’t think he does when the NFL draft happens. 

I think you will have to trade up and did Elway want to give up the resources. Especially if 2020 class is supposedly better with Fromm, Tua and Herbert. If it fails with Joe at a reasonable price, than can go all in next year. Instead grab 2 pieces in first 2 rounds that help the cause to win now instead

Slightly disappointed as a Bills fan about the Flacco news as I thought a team that really wants Lock will trade up with the Bills to get ahead of Denver.  

I think they still take Lock. I doubt anyone in the league sees Flacco as anything more than a bridge QB. 
IMO if they wanted just a bridge QB they would have just kept Keenum as he's due $7M guaranteed whether they cut him or not. Now they just took on Flacco's bloated contract.

IMO if they wanted just a bridge QB they would have just kept Keenum as he's due $7M guaranteed whether they cut him or not. Now they just took on Flacco's bloated contract.
Good point- I just the cap number for Flacco. My god, what is Elway doing?!?

Good point- I just the cap number for Flacco. My god, what is Elway doing?!?
The silver lining is they can cut him next year if he sucks... which he will. If they do still draft Lock, he'll be starting by mid-season just like Lamar Jackson.

I was just gonna say there was still players available that you usually don’t see at this point.  One being Oliver. 

I was just gonna say there was still players available that you usually don’t see at this point.  One being Oliver. 
Yeah, I think he has a pretty high range. His athletic testing is going to be really important for him given how small he is. 

1.14 - Atlanta Falcons Rashan Gary DL Michigan 

Atlanta can go Oline or Dline here.  But with Gary falling this far they will pounce.  Gary is going to tear up the combine and will more than likely go higher than this.  

Grady Jarrett could possibly leave in FA and Gary might be able to step right in.  Hard to project what position he might play in the NFL, but he has the size and tools to be an explosive interior pass rusher. 

The Broncos still draft Lock if he's there.  I'm betting Keenum isn't there by the start of the season, and Flacco won't be the starter very long.

The Broncos still draft Lock if he's there.  I'm betting Keenum isn't there by the start of the season, and Flacco won't be the starter very long.
I think they can cut Keenum and take a $10 million cap hit. Flacco gets $18 mill this year but then can be cut next season with 0 dead cap space. So if they take Lock at 10, they are going to have about $32 million in 2019 tied up at QB. 

Users who are viewing this thread