What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool mock draft #1 - round 3?? (1 Viewer)

Skins pick WR, DK Metcalf

The Skins need a QB bad.  The draft is a cheap way to get out of the Alex Smith salary cap mess.  But is Lock worth the pick?  I don't think so.  They can get a QB in Rd 2 that is similar.

I think they roll with Colt McCoy and a free agent QB TBD.  And Gruden isn't at a point in his WAS career that he can develop a QB.  Needs to win sooner than later.

I'd rather a WR with better speed, but Metcalf right now is the highest projected WR so let's roll with him until the combine identifies more about the WRs.   The Skins have nobody at WR.  Doctson is a failure.  Richardson and Crowder have injury history.  No matter who the QB is, they need a better target.  Actually, any target.  By the way, Metcalf seems to be taking after David Boston.  Interesting to see if this eventually drops him down the boards  https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/nfl-moves-dk-metcalf-to-top-of-their-to-be-randomly-drug-tested-list

Last edited by a moderator:
The weakest link for the Panthers right now is the o line. While McCaffery was able to succeed despite the line, cam especially needs the help, assuming he recovers. 

So the question is which lineman to take. 

A. The oxymoron, Greg Little. Simply a freak. Raw with the potential to dominate.

B. Cody Ford, flexible, can play anywhere, really solid floor IMO with good upside. 

I'm going with Cody Ford here, Oklahoma, mostly for the flexibility he provides. 

CLE selects Dexter Lawrence, DL, CLE

No OT on the board which would be their first need.

Next need is to bolster the interior of an already talented Defense.  There are a number of options here.  Rahsan Gary.  Dre'mont Jones, Jeffrey Simmons.  I was close to choosing Simmons, but Lawrence is closer to a 1 technique and that's what CLE needs.

CLE selects Dexter Lawrence, DL, CLE

No OT on the board which would be their first need.

Next need is to bolster the interior of an already talented Defense.  There are a number of options here.  Rahsan Gary.  Dre'mont Jones, Jeffrey Simmons.  I was close to choosing Simmons, but Lawrence is closer to a 1 technique and that's what CLE needs.
He tore is acl this weekend if that impacts your decision 

Doh.  It certainly does.  Although it would be an old CLE type move to draft a player that couldn't play.

Andy - change this to Jeffrey Simmons, DL, Miss St !!!
Wait I mixed them up...Simmons tore his acl. You were good the first time! My bad 

Wait I mixed them up...Simmons tore his acl. You were good the first time! My bad 
You're killing me. 🤣    I've hardly been in touch with this stuff.   I'd probably trade my 1st rounder for Alex Smith at this point.   

So Lawrence remains the CLE pick. 

You're killing me. 🤣    I've hardly been in touch with this stuff.   I'd probably trade my 1st rounder for Alex Smith at this point.   

So Lawrence remains the CLE pick. 
Yeah I mixed up the 2 DL prospects with names that sound like 1950s jazz musicians. Either way, it’s a good addition for the Browns.

1.19 Tennessee Titans select - Montez Sweat OLB/EDGE

With the recent retirement of veteran Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan set to possibly become a free agent, the Titans are in a dire need for an outside linebacker to rush the quarterback. IMO, the Titans are a good candidate to move up to nab one of the premier pass rushers, but if not, Sweat is a nice get here that would pair up well with Harold Landry.

The Sweat and Risner picks are really good.

I wonder the Browns would be better off taking someone for their secondary or a WR. But Lawrence is solid.

1.20 Pittsburgh Steelers - Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

Height 5'11 Weight 233

Having not been able to fill the void left by Shazier, Bush should fill in at once. He plays from sideline to sideline and fills the #1 hole in the Steelers lineup.

1.21 Seattle Seahawks select DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson

I think they would have seriously considered Simmons here had he not torn his ACL. I fully expect Seattle to trade down at least a couple times to stockpile some mid round picks as they have 4 total for the draft. That said, I see Wilkins as a close to top 10 talent unfortunately coming out in a year loaded with similar talent. 

1.22 Baltimore Ravens select OT Greg Little Ole Miss

I was considering WIlkins with this pick as well. Thanks Duckboy for making my decision easier.

1.23 Houston Texans select CB DeAndre Baker.

The two most glaring needs for the Texans are tackle and cornerback so this selection will be greatly influenced by what they do in FA. They were in the mix for Nate Solder last year but ultimately balked at his record breaking price. I suspect they will make a run at Trent Brown and be willing to pay him considering he is 5 years younger than Solder and after watching Watson get a collapsed lung. Even if Brown doesn't live up to a huge contract, former 4th rounder Julian Davenport was overmatched and one of the worst LT’s in the league last year so even average play from Brown would be a major improvement and the Texans have boatloads of cap space to gamble on a high priced FA. RT is a huge issue as well, so even if the Texans spend in FA, they may still take another OT in this spot, I had Greg Little penciled in so moving on.

That leaves Corner where the Texans have a geriatric Jonathan Joseph, pending FA Kareem Jackson (who had a career year but still manages to get routinely torched by T.Y. Hilton), 1st round bust Kevin Johnson who’s likely to be cut, and last years FA acquisition Aaron Colvin who missed most of the season due to injury. Baker has played in nearly every style of defense imaginable at Georgia. He was asked to play man, zone, press, press-bail, off-man, everything. That kind of versatility is something DC Romeo Crennel loves in his players, but honestly, pick any CB here and they will slot in as a day one starter for the Texans.

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
1.20 Pittsburgh Steelers - Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

Height 5'11 Weight 233

Having not been able to fill the void left by Shazier, Bush should fill in at once. He plays from sideline to sideline and fills the #1 hole in the Steelers lineup.
A great fit against todays NFL pass offenses. Coverage and pass rushing.

1.24 Raiders- Byron Murphy CB Washington

The Raiders need another corner to play across from Conley and from what I’ve read Murphy has the best tape of any corner. He doesn’t have the size of Greedy and there are some concerns about speed but he plays hard and is very sticky. Now if he blows the combine this will look like a bad pick but getting a high end DE and CB sounds like a great start for the Raiders as I’m trying to invest in the most valuable  positions for a team with holes everywhere. If he fails at outside, he can likely become a high end slot CB which is really valuable in today’s NFL.

The Sweat and Risner picks are really good.

I wonder the Browns would be better off taking someone for their secondary or a WR. But Lawrence is solid.
IMO, what the Browns need most is depth.  Aside from QB (and now RB), BPA is a solid strategy.  All things being equal, I'd probably go defense with DB my highest priority, followed by a wide-ranging LB, then interior DL.  

1.27 Raiders- Brian Burns Edge FSU

As I noted with my first pick, there wasn't a team worse at anything than the Raiders were at rushing the passer. We added Clelin on one edge and Murphy to cover (buy the rushers more time) and now we add what some think is the best pure pass rusher in the class. He isn't a perfect fit for a 4-3 but I think the Raiders DC likes to switch up alignments a bit. He may be a situational pass rusher untill he adds more weight but the value of a great pass rusher is only behind the value of QB or LT. The goal of the draft was to create a pass rush and adding a 21 year old  power 5 conference guy wth 38.5 TFL and 23 sacks over 33 games is hopefiully going to do that. 

Given how few WR's have come of the board in this mock, I would think the Raiders would be salivating at the remaining WR talent out there by the 3rd time they pick, but that's my admittedly outsider/non-Raider fan opinion.

Isn't Burns kind of small?
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. His weight at the combine will be important. He's listed at 235 but who knows. The Draft Network has him a top 10 player in the draft and he dominated in college. He is super explosive but he might not be able to play on run downs. 

Given how few WR's have come of the board in this mock, I would think the Raiders would be salivating at the remaining WR talent out there by the 3rd time they pick, but that's my admittedly outsider/non-Raider fan opinion.
They have the 4th pick in the 2nd so you are correct that we are excited about the WR/TE talent on the board. So excited that we think we can wait and still get a really good player. There was definitely some thought given to using the last 2 picks on WRs and TEs though as the offense really sucks. Oakland is just so bad all around that outside of OT and DT, there isn't any position that is solid. My plan was just to be able to estbalish an NFL caliber pass rush. 

Gruden is surely not taking three defensive players with his three first rounders - I agree they go WR with one of these picks (but Andy said we could either go with what we think the team will do or what we would do).

1.29 Kansas City - Deionte Thompson FS Alabama

The Chiefs were pathetic at all levels of their defense last year and it probably cost them the Super Bowl. They fired their d coordinator and can't be too picky about what position they take. Going with seemingly BPA on defense, they take a stud underclass safety with their late first round pick. Thompson is a little raw, but has all the makings of the next great free safety with range, strength, and ball skills. Considering that Eric Berry was day to day for 6 months, the Chiefs look to get young and improve their weak secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread