What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Sign Kareem Hunt (1 Viewer)

Not paying him anything but with Nick Chubb on the roster I don't see the point other than to keep him off another roster. First sign of a problem they cut him and essentially end his career, don't think he would get a third chance given today's environment. Also allows you to trade Duke Johnson if the kid gets his head straightened out. Personally don't think he will, a couple of the episodes that came to light happened in the CLE area, he's from the area, his posse will be around him 24/7, just don't see how it works out.

Guess we were feeling the drama gap from cutting ties with Josh Gordon :shrug:

Not paying him anything but with Nick Chubb on the roster I don't see the point other than to keep him off another roster. First sign of a problem they cut him and essentially end his career, don't think he would get a third chance given today's environment. Also allows you to trade Duke Johnson if the kid gets his head straightened out. Personally don't think he will, a couple of the episodes that came to light happened in the CLE area, he's from the area, his posse will be around him 24/7, just don't see how it works out.

Guess we were feeling the drama gap from cutting ties with Josh Gordon :shrug:
Agreed it will be harder to break with the past given bolded sentence above. Gordon was the past example I immediately thought of as well, and he didn't have local enablers.

As the resident Browns fan of the staff. I'm torn on this one. In Dorsey I trust as he knows Hunt a lot better than any of us, but I'm not sure putting Hunt back near his hometown where the on-camera incident happened is a good idea.

Interested to see what the contract is, it could be a low-risk high-upside move with contingencies that one foot out of line and you're gone. 

I just don't see why the Browns would take on the probable #### show for signing Hunt when they have invested capital in what looked like a stud RB.  Why have the added circus for signing a guy they didn't need.  Seems strange.

bad spot for hunt for fantasy purposes.  And sure as heck doesn’t help chubb, that said I think Chubb is the better player regardless.   Signing doesn’t really make sense to me but it is the Browns.  

I don't think it will affect Chubb much at all. Hunt looking at a lengthy suspension. It's a one year deal, gives them depth for the second half the season when everyone is dinged up. Look at almost every team that dealt with injuries at RB this past year. CJ friggin Anderson ended up being an important player. Browns ascending, a deal like this one makes perfect sense and if it doesn't work out or if Hunt makes an off-the-field blunder, no biggie. Minor investment that could pay big dividends.

1) Hunt will have to serve a suspension, likely longer than the 6 game baseline, but not the whole season, so while they might get some calls about Duke Johnson, I'm not expecting him to get dealt

2) with that in mind, this is probably as much about securing his RFA rights in 2020 

3) the contract is very cheap (could be worth more than 1M not factoring in suspension per rapoport) and rapoport also said it was important to hunt camp to get signed before investigation is over. to me, points to few teams interested in signing him

4) this isn't that surprising when you look at Dorsey's history with character risk players

5) as Andy Benoit pointed out, Kitchens did well with multi-RB sets. at a time when personnel mismatches are all the rage on offense, putting two of chubb johnson and hunt on the field at the same time will be difficult to defend. pepper johnson said belichick hates defending two good backs on the field at the same time more than anything else

6) cleveland will face heat for this, but it is at a dead time in the NFL newscycle and they also had the good luck to not even be the biggest story of the day in the NFL. by the time the season (heck the draft) rolls around, this won't be a big story at all. it is a calculated risk, but with the current washing machine nature of the newscycle and otherwise difficult to square NFL realities (chiefs release hunt but celebrate hill, frank clark is about to get paid, etc, etc), i dont expect it to be too onerous for the browns, especially not during the most optimistic offseason of their second incarnation

If this is a 1 year deal, it makes sense for Hunt and I can see why he wanted to get on a roster as quickly as possible to start the process. Hunt will be much easier for a team to sign next year because the media storm will have come and gone. It's also possible Cleveland will use him as a trade chip when he comes off his suspension. More than likely he is on a new team in 2020, & 2019 is the wasted year that most expected anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Hunt will have to serve a suspension, likely longer than the 6 game baseline, but not the whole season, so while they might get some calls about Duke Johnson, I'm not expecting him to get dealt

2) with that in mind, this is probably as much about securing his RFA rights in 2020 

3) the contract is very cheap (could be worth more than 1M not factoring in suspension per rapoport) and rapoport also said it was important to hunt camp to get signed before investigation is over. to me, points to few teams interested in signing him

4) this isn't that surprising when you look at Dorsey's history with character risk players

5) as Andy Benoit pointed out, Kitchens did well with multi-RB sets. at a time when personnel mismatches are all the rage on offense, putting two of chubb johnson and hunt on the field at the same time will be difficult to defend. pepper johnson said belichick hates defending two good backs on the field at the same time more than anything else

6) cleveland will face heat for this, but it is at a dead time in the NFL newscycle and they also had the good luck to not even be the biggest story of the day in the NFL. by the time the season (heck the draft) rolls around, this won't be a big story at all. it is a calculated risk, but with the current washing machine nature of the newscycle and otherwise difficult to square NFL realities (chiefs release hunt but celebrate hill, frank clark is about to get paid, etc, etc), i dont expect it to be too onerous for the browns, especially not during the most optimistic offseason of their second incarnation
Exactly, very smart move by the Browns.

And very dumb move by the Chiefs who are getting nothing in return.

I mean, injuries do happen. Having two studs at RB if they're cheap isn't a bad thing.
$1m for Hunt, Chubb $1.7m . Two elite RB's for under $3m? Johnson getting $3m.

bad spot for hunt for fantasy purposes.  And sure as heck doesn’t help chubb, that said I think Chubb is the better player regardless.   Signing doesn’t really make sense to me but it is the Browns.  
Why is it bad from a fantasy spot? And can we drop the "well it is the Browns" BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
$1m for Hunt, Chubb $1.7m . Two elite RB's for under $3m? Johnson getting $3m.

Why is it bad from a fantasy spot? And can we drop the "well it is the Browns" BS.
The argument can be made that if he only gets 6 games, but he comes back and is only getting back-up/COP back work (or is relegated to ST/3rd string), his value next offseason will not be as high as if he came back to a team that gave him more work (and he does well with that extra work).  If he signed with the Ravens, and after 6 games, when he comes back, they have Alex Collins sucking, Gus Edwards looking like a UDFA, and Dixon suspended/hurt again, Hunt could be in line for a lot of work, and if he does well with that work over the last 1/2 of the season, his value in the 2020 off-season would be high.

Why would he be an RFA?  He was a UFA signing.
In the NFL, a RFA has 3 or more accrued seasons, and has at least 6 or more regular season games with his club.  Next year would be Hunt's 3rd year, but I'm not sure how last season (or his suspension from next year) factors into that.  Also not sure how his release from KC impacts it either.

The argument can be made that if he only gets 6 games, but he comes back and is only getting back-up/COP back work (or is relegated to ST/3rd string), his value next offseason will not be as high as if he came back to a team that gave him more work (and he does well with that extra work).  If he signed with the Ravens, and after 6 games, when he comes back, they have Alex Collins sucking, Gus Edwards looking like a UDFA, and Dixon suspended/hurt again, Hunt could be in line for a lot of work, and if he does well with that work over the last 1/2 of the season, his value in the 2020 off-season would be high.
Conversely, the Browns offense could really light it up benefiting from a full offseason of working together instead of 14 games from a QB that was thrown into the mix and asked to perform. There is plenty of room on a team with a humming offense for Kareem Hunt to showcase and if he's as good as we've seen, he will garner attention. You cna't leave talent on the bench unless you are Hue Jackson.

I'm not seeing how this impacts Chubb.  He's going to have the backfield pretty much to himself for 8 weeks.  If he is performing there is no way they take that away from him and if he's not he doesn't have much to lose anyway

I'd like to too. I wonder what the right price is too even start with.
Ima have to let it marinate in most of my leagues, a lot of inactivity this time of the year.

id bet that if i cant swing it before the rookie draft, i can prolly get someone whos otc to bite for a late 1 or 1 and 2, depending on the narrative by then

It's like I only have half a chub now.
Saving this brilliance for posterity. Well done, well done :thumbup:

Are they?  What if they've alienated Chubb with this move?
He's a 2nd year player, go out and earn your spot and keep Hunt on the bench. If he gets butt hurt over this his career int he NFL is going to be short lived. And that's probably another ancillary benefit to all this. Keep everyone competitive. The former Browns had a nasty habit of handing people jobs with little competition to earn it. Iron sharpens iron.

He's a 2nd year player, go out and earn your spot and keep Hunt on the bench. If he gets butt hurt over this his career int he NFL is going to be short lived. And that's probably another ancillary benefit to all this. Keep everyone competitive. The former Browns had a nasty habit of handing people jobs with little competition to earn it. Iron sharpens iron.
:shrug:   I'm not sure this is a sure fire winning move, but these people know way more than I do.  It seems like people are getting caught up in the championship window is only open while your QB is on a cost controlled contract.  I think the Browns are more than a year away though so this move doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

:shrug:   I'm not sure this is a sure fire winning move, but these people know way more than I do.  It seems like people are getting caught up in the championship window is only open while your QB is on a cost controlled contract.  I think the Browns are more than a year away though so this move doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
They are but the playoffs next season is a very realistic goal to me. Once you get in the dance, who knows? If they can add some key pieces in the offseason & via free agency, no reason to think they can't challenge to go deep in the playoffs.

They are but the playoffs next season is a very realistic goal to me. Once you get in the dance, who knows? If they can add some key pieces in the offseason & via free agency, no reason to think they can't challenge to go deep in the playoffs.
Maybe I'm just jealous.  The Lions haven't turned anything around in my lifetime.  The only thing I had going for me was "at least they aren't the Browns."

Are they?  What if they've alienated Chubb with this move?
Reading this thread it’s pretty clear that there remains a huge disconnect in how NFL teams and fantasy players think about RBs. Fantasy players think of them like gold and NFL GMs think of them closer to toilet paper. I imagine the Browns hope to keep both players on cost controlled deals past next season and they couldn’t care less if Chubb feels alienated

Users who are viewing this thread