What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Sign Kareem Hunt (1 Viewer)

Why wouldn’t you? Hunt was in the perfect spot with a coach that made some people think bloody Damien Williams is good. Chubb is tons more talented to me.
So I’m not the only one who thinks Hunt might be a little overrated. Don’t get me wrong! He’s a good player. But he is also a product of the KC offense. As you said, D Will looked like an All Pro there. Will be interesting to see with the chances he gets. Chubb doesn’t have much film yet, and I will say he is touted maybe a bit more on the board than IRL, but the kid has a pedigree like few others. 

But he is also a product of the KC offense. As you said, D Will looked like an All Pro there. Will be interesting to see with the chances he gets. Chubb doesn’t have much film yet, and I will say he is touted maybe a bit more on the board than IRL, but the kid has a pedigree like few others. 
If we apply  this line of thinking to other players/teams is it fair to say L. Bell is overrated based on what Conner/Samuels did this past season? Is it fair to say that Gurley is overrated based on what C.J. Anderson did in Curley's absence? Asking for a friend. 

If we apply  this line of thinking to other players/teams is it fair to say L. Bell is overrated based on what Conner/Samuels did this past season? Is it fair to say that Gurley is overrated based on what C.J. Anderson did in Curley's absence? Asking for a friend. 
Just one piece of the pie. Not the backbone of an argument. Should have known someone would have foamed at the mouth and immediately picked it apart. 

Took all of 10 minutes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one piece of the pie. Not the backbone of an argument. Should have known someone would have foamed at the mouth and immediately picked it apart. 

Took all of 10 minutes. 

I missed that part.  Was he completely wildy irrational in what he said?  It sounded like a decent counterpoint to me.  Maybe I need a mirror to see if I’m foaming myself.

Hard to believe Hunt was a 6-8 high jumper.

Anyway......

The guy is an obvious stud, has that burst and breaks tackles, will be great in whatever situation he's in.  The guy simply has..IT.

Bold move for the Browns who have a stub RB already in Chubb.

I missed that part.  Was he completely wildy irrational in what he said?  It sounded like a decent counterpoint to me.  Maybe I need a mirror to see if I’m foaming myself.
No just the ability of some people to focus in on one singular sentence rather than seeing the post as a whole. It’s like walking on egg shells around here and I feel as if I need to proof read my posts so one misconstrued or overly emphasized sentence does not completely drown the point of a post. 

No just the ability of some people to focus in on one singular sentence rather than seeing the post as a whole. It’s like walking on egg shells around here and I feel as if I need to proof read my posts so one misconstrued or overly emphasized sentence does not completely drown the point of a post. 

My God, he’s just participating in the discussion.  It’s a valid point and worth exploring, IMO.  I guess you expect your opinion to go unquestioned by any others if you feel as though something of this nature is some kind of attack on you.  Geez, open up, relax, and enjoy the discussion.  I learn more here from others than I do from any other resource, and tend to learn the most from the more empassioned back-and-forths, most especially from those who disagree with me.

Joe Bryant said:
I think it's more a statement about Chubb.
This is it. When Waldman calls the guy his #1 prospect and he put up 5.2 ypc on the Browns, it's beyond time to get on board. When journeyman Damien Williams looks just as good as Hunt you start to wonder if it was the system. 

We're talking about different things.

People were saying it was crazy to say Chubb > Hunt and saying Hunt was great. I'm saying those people saying Chubb > Hunt is more a statement about Chubb than Hunt.

Of course it's great cheap depth. 

I was thinking about this comment.  It’s not that I think Hunt is much better than Chubb.  It’s that I feel that Hunt has put up a body of work that both states he is a high quality RB and that his ability transcends that of being successful because of the system.  I just find it difficult to think people have watched his performance to date and think he only did that well because he played in KC.  Not with the amalgam of skills and ability that he has displayed.

I don’t put Hunt above Chubb right now, but I don’t put him below Chubb either.  I think they’re two very different RBs that succeed in different ways, and in the long run that history may show that they’re both pretty damned good.  People put down Hunt because he played in KC, but I don’t see anyone knocking Chubb for having success against a cream puff run schedule.  When he went up against a very tough D (twice) he didn’t have a whole lot of success.  But I don’t hold that against him long term either.  I think there’s a lot that has to shake out yet.

I just don’t see the definitive proof that one of these guys is flat out better than the other right now.  I honestly do not get how you watch Hunt play and not see some special qualities in him, like it looks like there are in Chubb.  That ought to make this coming preseason in CLE interesting - provided that CLE didn’t acquire Hunt as trade capital.

Andy Benoit‏Verified account @Andy_Benoit

No coach in the second half of last season was better with 2-RB and 3-RB play designs than #Browns ' Freddie Kitchens.

11:18 AM - 11 Feb 2019

-------------------------------------

Kitchens got the job because Haley couldn't play nice with the HC and wasn't using Duke and Chubb.

Freddy took over and used them both.

Browns hired Todd Monken as the new OC and he is on record as saying he's going to incorporate as many skill-players as possible in order to gain 'balance'.

Hunt is facing a lengthy suspension.  He is on his last chance. 

He'll get suspended and will fly under the radar until in the season when he'll add a boost to the offense with fresh legs.

This is it. When Waldman calls the guy his #1 prospect and he put up 5.2 ypc on the Browns, it's beyond time to get on board. When journeyman Damien Williams looks just as good as Hunt you start to wonder if it was the system. 

Can people please stop with Waldman being definitive proof of anything?  He’s wrong (and right) about as much as anyone else, and sometimes misses in very, very big ways.  That Waldman says something isn’t proof of anything.

The difference is that Damien Williams (UDFA) has been in the league for a while and done very little. CJA was PFF's sixth rated RB in 2017 when he ran for 1000 yards on a poor Denver offense, so I honestly wasn't surprised by what he did in a good offense. Conner remains to be seen, although he was a 3rd round draft pick and may turn out to be talented in his own right, I didn't find his performance quite up to snuff with Bell's performance in that offense. But I'd be lying if I said Conner's performance has put a damper on my expectations for Bell outside of PIT.

Can people please stop with Waldman being definitive proof of anything?  He’s wrong (and right) about as much as anyone else, and sometimes misses in very, very big ways.  That Waldman says something isn’t proof of anything.
Not saying he's "definitive proof," but when he makes a bold call like that and it seems to play out, I think it is worth noting.

As for how he compares to others, I'd say it's kind of like someone unfamiliar with baseball looking at two players. The difference between a guy batting .320 and .280 may not seem like much to that person, but in reality it is a big difference. As far as fantasy analysts, Waldman is leading the pack, IMO.

The Frankman said:
Why are people saying he'll be back in 2019? The minimum suspension for these incidents off the field is 6 games. He had two incidents confirmed and the NFL had been investigating the third...... so technically he's at 12 games minimum and counting.
Why do you keep posting this when it's not true? The automatic six games suspension is applied to domestic violence situations only. The other two altercations (if they even happened) are alleged fights in a bar with another male - that does not carry an automatic suspension. McCoy beat up an off duty cop in a bar and was not suspended at all.

The NFL will likely apply the six game suspension due to the hotel footage (even though that is not technically DV) and perhaps he may get a few more but there is no "12 games minimum and counting".

The difference is that Damien Williams (UDFA) has been in the league for a while and done very little. CJA was PFF's sixth rated RB in 2017 when he ran for 1000 yards on a poor Denver offense, so I honestly wasn't surprised by what he did in a good offense. Conner remains to be seen, although he was a 3rd round draft pick and may turn out to be talented in his own right, I didn't find his performance quite up to snuff with Bell's performance in that offense. But I'd be lying if I said Conner's performance has put a damper on my expectations for Bell outside of PIT.
The other difference is that, at least as a runner, CJA didn't just keep up with Gurley he wildly outperformed him.  CJA averaged 7 (!) ypc in that offense.

In Pitt it wasn't just Conner.  Samuels also looked very good in there when Conner was out, and of course DeAngelo Williams had a really nice season a few years back in that offense when Bell was out.

The other difference is that, at least as a runner, CJA didn't just keep up with Gurley he wildly outperformed him.  CJA averaged 7 (!) ypc in that offense.

In Pitt it wasn't just Conner.  Samuels also looked very good in there when Conner was out, and of course DeAngelo Williams had a really nice season a few years back in that offense when Bell was out.
True on all accounts, but small samples, defensive scheme, and fresh legs can also play a part. Never been sure how much to account for fresh legs. Seems like something that could be largely overstated. Either way, I don't think comparing Damien Williams to CJA is fair since CJA has historically been quite good when healthy and was just coming off a high PFF rating the season before.

Samuels had one big game as a rusher so I'm not quite ready to say his performance put a damper on Bell's, but Conner certainly appears to be at least 80% of Bell's replacement. DeAngelo was always a very talented guy, though, so I figured his good performance was legit. I'd say 32 yo DeAngelo was about on par with Conner's performance this year, although DeAngelo was much more efficient in the passing game.

My $.02

He's on a 1-yr contract.  If he's suspended a good part of the season, the Browns don't get much aside from RFA rights.  Of course, that may lead to a long-term contract, but more likely he will go RFA as soon as he can & pursue Gurley money.

My opinion is that Dorsey knew him already, believes he will keep his nose clean (ie NOT cause the Browns any future problems), and is simply doing him a favor. 

Most interesting aspect of Hunt signing might be him coming home to Cleveland.  

There's a lot of guys I played with/know where going home would be the WORST thing for them and Kareem's dad getting arrested Jan. 25 for selling crack cocaine would seem to reinforce that.

My $.02

He's on a 1-yr contract.  If he's suspended a good part of the season, the Browns don't get much aside from RFA rights.  Of course, that may lead to a long-term contract, but more likely he will go RFA as soon as he can & pursue Gurley money.

My opinion is that Dorsey knew him already, believes he will keep his nose clean (ie NOT cause the Browns any future problems), and is simply doing him a favor. 
I don't see him with the Browns very long.  Once all the teams know his suspension I suspect there will be interest in him as a RFA and be willing to offer more than the Browns offer him.

My $.02

I sincerely doubt there are any favors here.  He's doing what's in the best interest for the Browns.  Sign him cheaply, represents some insurance for 2nd half of 2019, and then tender a 2nd round or original round tender on him for 2020.  Either they get a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he walks or...sign him to long term deal and let Duke go and recoup about $8m over the remaining 2 years. 

Strictly from a business move, I see this as a win-win for Browns.  

Duke Johnson signed an extension last year.

Duke Johnson Current Contract

Duke Johnson signed a 3 year, $15,610,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $7,757,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,203,333. In 2019, Johnson will earn a base salary of $1,800,000, a roster bonus of $400,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $3,050,000 and a dead cap value of $2,250,000.
  • 2019 - dead cap hit $2.25 million
  • 2020 - dead cap hit $1.5 million
  • 2021 - dead cap hit $750 k
I don't really understand why Duke wasn't used more than he was last year or Dorsey saying he'd look into keeping/trading Duke, hardly a ringing endorsement but under his current contract the team would take a dead cap hit of two and a quarter million dollars this year.  

No clue if the cap hit increases in the future if he gets a 2nd round tender next year but with the suspension and dead cap money in 2019 I don't see getting dealt this year.

Not really.  CJ did not play almost the entire year, comes in fresh legged, gives you 3 good games two of which were against teams that were out of contention late in the season and then he quickly petered out. Also in the 3 full games the two of them played together Gurley was at 5.3 YPC to his 4.1.

Looks like Lions are too classy of an organization to sign Hunt.   Zack Zenner will be a Lion for life.

"We evaluate every player on the field and off the field, and in this case, we talked about it internally and it was just a player we didn't feel comfortable with the Lions for numerous issues. I stand by that. That's my word. I want good players and I want good people in this organization."

:lol:

I’d love to see a poll of DCs in the league asked if it matters to them whether they’re defending Kareem Hunt or Damien Williams or CJA vs Gurley for that matter.  Some of you guys are starting to get kinda silly.

:lol:

I’d love to see a poll of DCs in the league asked if it matters to them whether they’re defending Kareem Hunt or Damien Williams or CJA vs Gurley for that matter.  Some of you guys are starting to get kinda silly.

I haven’t seen anyone say that Hunt isn’t good but I think a lot of people question that he’s special. I think Chubb is special as a runner and always thought he had more talent than Gurley before injury. You may disagree but there’s more than a few people who think that way. Not sure where you and a couple of others get this idea that Chubb wasn’t an elite talent and way ahead of Hunt. There’s some ridiculous stuff being said in here and it’s not about Hunt.

However i definitely think he hurts Chubb but it doesn’t look like he’ll play very long with him. I can’t see him signing a long term deal with them.

Not sure where you and a couple of others get this idea that Chubb wasn’t an elite talent and way ahead of Hunt.

And here’s the irritating part.  Please show me where I said any of what you posted above.  I’ve actually said that I believe Chubb has special skills, but that doesn’t put him “way ahead of Hunt”.  Hunt’s body of work to date is stronger than Chubb’s right now - but that also doesn’t mean at this point that I believe one is superior over the other.

• 2019 - dead cap hit $2.25 million
  • 2020 - dead cap hit $1.5 million
  • 2021 - dead cap hit $750 k
I don't really understand why Duke wasn't used more than he was last year or Dorsey saying he'd look into keeping/trading Duke, hardly a ringing endorsement but under his current contract the team would take a dead cap hit of two and a quarter million dollars this year.  

No clue if the cap hit increases in the future if he gets a 2nd round tender next year but with the suspension and dead cap money in 2019 I don't see getting dealt this year.
Never say never, but unless another back is brought in I can't see the Browns thinking about trading Duke before this time next year.  And too much will change between now and then to have a good conversation about those possibilities now.  Let the cards shake themselves out then figure out what to do next year then - next year.

I sincerely doubt there are any favors here.  He's doing what's in the best interest for the Browns.  Sign him cheaply, represents some insurance for 2nd half of 2019, and then tender a 2nd round or original round tender on him for 2020.  Either they get a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he walks or...sign him to long term deal and let Duke go and recoup about $8m over the remaining 2 years. 

Strictly from a business move, I see this as a win-win for Browns.  
I'd agree. I can't see this being any type of "favors". This feels like strictly business. The Browns weighed the PR hit and the availability question vs the upside of a quality player at a cheap price and made a business decision. 

• 2019 - dead cap hit $2.25 million Cap Savings $800k
  • 2020 - dead cap hit $1.5 million Cap Savings, $3,350,000
  • 2021 - dead cap hit $750 k Cap Savings $5,150,000

Added Cap Savings, given I think that’s going to come into play in 2020 and decision on whether or not to retain Hunt.

Look at this contracts on this roster. Non-issue.
I know the contracts on the roster.  Cap space is always a consideration for every team.  Not sure why you insist in the belief that your Browns are somehow exempt from this.

I know the contracts on the roster.  Cap space is always a consideration for every team.  Not sure why you insist in the belief that your Browns are somehow exempt from this.
You're reading too much into this, semantics doesnt generate good dialogue. If pending free agents ball then they can earn an extension without hesitation given the current assets in place. 

You're reading too much into this, semantics doesnt generate good dialogue. If pending free agents ball then they can earn an extension without hesitation given the current assets in place. 
Never said they couldn’t.  Nothing I said hinges on semantics.  

I was very clear they have options to keep Hunt.  They also have options to get a draft pick from him.  They also have options to cut Duke and save a significant amount of $.  They could keep all three.  

Whats inaccurate is to say they don’t need to care about the cap.  Every team needs to care about the cap.  To suggest otherwise is false and doesn’t support “good dialogue.”

You realize I was referring to Duke, not Hunt, right?
I didn't but honestly they're interchangeable from the cap perspective. If the browns want to extend or keep those currently under contract they can without worrying about the future. 

That time ends when the 2017 trio prepare for free agency after 2021. And especially with Baker and Ward the year after. Cap isnt going to impact decision making between now and then.

I'd agree. I can't see this being any type of "favors". This feels like strictly business. The Browns weighed the PR hit and the availability question vs the upside of a quality player at a cheap price and made a business decision. 
Even for (potentially) half a year's production?  That doesn't seem like enough to accept even half the headaches.

I didn't but honestly they're interchangeable from the cap perspective. If the browns want to extend or keep those currently under contract they can without worrying about the future. 

That time ends when the 2017 trio prepare for free agency after 2021. And especially with Baker and Ward the year after. Cap isnt going to impact decision making between now and then.
Yes, I understand you believe the Browns can spend whatever they want, they have no financial limitations, they have no need to pursue other free agents or extend contracts.  

Yes, I understand you believe the Browns can spend whatever they want, they have no financial limitations, they have no need to pursue other free agents or extend contracts.  
Your being obtuse isn't going to change your being wrong about any running back contract not impacting the team's roster decisions over the next 3 years. 

daveR said:
Even for (potentially) half a year's production?  That doesn't seem like enough to accept even half the headaches.
That's the real question @daveR

I can see the argument on the other side. My point was that Haslam and Dorsey see it as a business decision and they did see the upside outweigh the downside. Similar to the Josh Gordon decision where they landed on the "not worth it" side. Will be interesting.

Why are people saying he'll be back in 2019? The minimum suspension for these incidents off the field is 6 games. He had two incidents confirmed and the NFL had been investigating the third...... so technically he's at 12 games minimum and counting.
Why do you keep posting this when it's not true? The automatic six games suspension is applied to domestic violence situations only. The other two altercations (if they even happened) are alleged fights in a bar with another male - that does not carry an automatic suspension. McCoy beat up an off duty cop in a bar and was not suspended at all. 

The NFL will likely apply the six game suspension due to the hotel footage (even though that is not technically DV) and perhaps he may get a few more but there is no "12 games minimum and counting".
Domestic Violence Policy is a misnomer and the sensationalist MSM has no interest in getting it right.  DVP refers to the collective actions, stances, and responses the NFL takes with regards to player behavior when domestic concerns are involved, not any set of behaviors or penalties.  What the NFL did in 2014 as part of establishing these new actions, stances, and responses is update the Personal Conduct Policy to specify these minimums but did not limit that to domestic incidents.  I do not know how the previous policy was worded.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/28/6079465/nfl-announces-new-domestic-violence-policy

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

With regard to violations of the Personal Conduct Policy that involve: (i) criminal assault or battery(felony); (ii) domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse and other forms of family violence; or (iii) sexual assault involving physical force or committed against someone incapable of giving consent, a first offense will subject the offender to a baseline suspension without pay of six games, with consideration given to any aggravating or mitigating factors.The presence of possible aggravating factors may warrant a longer suspension.

Now whether or not any of these incidents qualify as any of those points is up for debate.  Felony level Assault/Battery?  Domestic/dating violence against a female he had little to no prior interaction with?  I'm not a lawyer and my guess is neither of them meet this criteria but the wildcard that the NFL disciplinary system is leaves all avenues open.  It would be awful convenient if they handed him two different 3 game suspensions to satisfy their internal criteria that could then be construed as "6 games for Domestic Violence Policy" violation.

Regardless, any actual disposition would be zero skin off the Browns' back, as they don't have to pay him, his contract doesn't proceed, and they have nothing to lose while he's suspended.  But as with Gordon, if/when he ever does get back, they have significant leverage/control over his future and could end up with some level of compensation for him if they subsequently lose him.

Domestic Violence Policy ,,,,update Personal Conduct Policy to specify minimums but did not limit that to domestic incidents. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/28/6079465/nfl-announces-new-domestic-violence-policy

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

Personal Conduct Policy that involve: (i) criminal assault or battery(felony); (ii) domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse and other forms of family violence; or (iii) sexual assault involving physical force or committed against someone incapable of giving consent, a first offense will subject the offender to a baseline suspension without pay of six games, with consideration given to any aggravating or mitigating factors.The presence of possible aggravating factors may warrant a longer suspension.

... the wildcard that the NFL disciplinary system is leaves all avenues open.  

Regardless, any actual disposition would be zero skin off the Browns' back, as they don't have to pay him, his contract doesn't proceed, and they have nothing to lose while he's suspended.  But as with Gordon, if/when he ever does get back, they have significant leverage/control over his future and could end up with some level of compensation for him if they subsequently lose him.
:goodposting:

Video evidence and deception to KC was reason enough to cut him and for no team to pick up the hot potato until now.

He's facing a minimum of six games and has other 'allegations' pending.

Browns only investment/risk is PR not cap and they don't lose a roster spot since he goes on one of those lists.

:goodposting:

Video evidence and deception to KC was reason enough to cut him and for no team to pick up the hot potato until now.

He's facing a minimum of six games and has other 'allegations' pending.

Browns only investment/risk is PR not cap and they don't lose a roster spot since he goes on one of those lists.
This is not necessarily the case.  There could easily be a case made that the hotel incident had nothing to do with domestic or dating violence and did not rise to a felony level.   Far more likely the NFL wants this to go quietly and make an agreement with Hunt for fewer games, but he waives his appeals, and it's all done.

I can see the argument on the other side. My point was that Haslam and Dorsey see it as a business decision and they did see the upside outweigh the downside. Similar to the Josh Gordon decision where they landed on the "not worth it" side. Will be interesting.
I just want to know which one had to have the conversation with Dee Haslam.

Yeah I can't see him getting only 6, he's a repeat "bad acts" offender. Because it's early in the 2019 NFL calendar it wouldn't surprise me if they drag the decision out 2-3 more months, but I'd be stunned if he didn't get at least 12 games total; and that's assuming it was plea-bargained down. If they find him culpable in the 3rd incident... yikes.

Yeah I can't see him getting only 6, he's a repeat "bad acts" offender. Because it's early in the 2019 NFL calendar it wouldn't surprise me if they drag the decision out 2-3 more months, but I'd be stunned if he didn't get at least 12 games total; and that's assuming it was plea-bargained down. If they find him culpable in the 3rd incident... yikes.

It’s just fascinating watching a guy who is so certain he has cornered the market on a truth about something he knows nothing about that he is willing to spread his unfounded speculation across multiple threads.  It’ll be more interesting to see if you’ll go back and post with the same vigor in all those threads if it turns out that you’re wrong.  

Yeah, maybe you're right.  Maybe I'm not seeing the potential for a long-term contract / tenure with the Browns.  The video didn't convince me of much.

Users who are viewing this thread