What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic leaders call for Omar to apologize for 'anti-Semitic tropes' (1 Viewer)

Everyone jumps on some poster for saying he voted for Trump because he wasn't Hilary and this barely gets touched? Says a lot about this place. 

Let me help you out @Summer Wheat. Replace "Israel" and "jews" with "Mexico" and "mexicans" or "Africans" and "blacks" and read your sentence out loud. Still something we should tolerate?

Seriously, that barely registers here? Sad and shameful.
Summer Wheat is a trolling account pretending to be a liberal.  That's why no one is touching it.

Because I’ve ignored the poster and many have.
The post should have been reported. Sometimes ignoring isn't enough. Obviously for those who didn't see it, there was nothing they could have done. For those who saw it and looked the other way, I feel sorry for your indifference.

Summer Wheat is a trolling account pretending to be a liberal.  That's why no one is touching it.
Oh. Thanks for that info. I was a bit surprised, though the postings were so far out there that I don't think I responded more than once or twice.  

Because I’ve ignored the poster and many have.
Ah, I see. Like I said, this was a weird little development on the board.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Thanks for that info. I was a bit surprised, though the postings were so far out there that I don't think I responded more than once or twice.  

Ah, I see. Like I said, this was a weird little development on the board.  
Sure.  I brought it up here:

That account is a trolling “I’m a liberal!” account. I don’t think anyone on the actual left espouses that view who doesn’t shop at Goop. 

The post should have been reported. Sometimes ignoring isn't enough. Obviously for those who didn't see it, there was nothing they could have done. For those who saw it and looked the other way, I feel sorry for your indifference.
I reported it minutes after it was made. Nothing happened.

What I meant is that Omar and Tlaibs harsh feelings about Israel and jews is ingrained into their thought process as part of their upbrining so we need to be tolerant of their feelings.
Everyone jumps on some poster for saying he voted for Trump because he wasn't Hilary and this barely gets touched? Says a lot about this place. 

Let me help you out @Summer Wheat. Replace "Israel" and "jews" with "Mexico" and "mexicans" or "Africans" and "blacks" and read your sentence out loud. Still something we should tolerate?

Seriously, that barely registers here? Sad and shameful.
I see 2 people disagreeing with this post pretty quickly after it was made.  Not sure what you are looking for.

I see 2 people disagreeing with this post pretty quickly after it was made.  Not sure what you are looking for.
Somewhere close to the outrage I see here over far more trivial things. I even gave the example that jumped out to me in the post you quoted. No one here is going to admit it, but it's obvious TO ME (not speaking for anyone else) that if the post was in defense of conservative politicians making similar comments, troll or not, the outrage expressed would have been off the charts.

Somewhere close to the outrage I see here over far more trivial things. I even gave the example that jumped out to me in the post you quoted. No one here is going to admit it, but it's obvious TO ME (not speaking for anyone else) that if the post was in defense of conservative politicians making similar comments, troll or not, the outrage expressed would have been off the charts.
Oh so this is basically you just crying that conservatives are treated unfairly.  Got it.

Dude.  You've been here long enough to know not to expect that.  She is a racist but she's also a Democrat so all's good.  It laughable that the Democrats cant even put together a resolution condemning this behavior instead they need to include everyone.  Pathetic.  

Dude.  You've been here long enough to know not to expect that.  She is a racist but she's also a Democrat so all's good.  It laughable that the Democrats cant even put together a resolution condemning this behavior instead they need to include everyone.  Pathetic.  
Not as pathetic as the 28 Republicans who voted no to the resolution stating not to be bigoted toward everyone.  Let that sink in.

Not as pathetic as the 28 Republicans who voted no to the resolution stating not to be bigoted toward everyone.  Let that sink in.
LOL.   You realize they voted against it because it was a joke right?  This issue was what SHE said about Israel.  But the Democrats couldn't condemn one of their own.  Nancy is afraid of her own party.  They are way way left of her and she cant control them.  Which is why this BS resolution was put forward as it is.  Let that sink in. 

Totally.  This "all antisemitism matters" stuff is getting out of control.

LOL.   You realize they voted against it because it was a joke right?  This issue was what SHE said about Israel.  But the Democrats couldn't condemn one of their own.  Nancy is afraid of her own party.  They are way way left of her and she cant control them.  Which is why this BS resolution was put forward as it is.  Let that sink in. 
They voted against a resolution calling for the elimination of bigotry against jews, muslims, gays, blacks, etc.  Do we need a separate resolution for every race, religion, lifestyle?   And yes, I do realize that some wanted it to be only about anti-Semitism.  Still speaks volumes that 28 Republicans would vote no to a general resolution asking people to simply not be bigots, period.

Sigh. 

You want to argue about this. Many liberals who disagree with you want to argue about this. The media is focused on this. 

Everybody is focused on what this woman said, whether or not she should be condemned for it, whether or not conservative anti Semitic remarks should also be condemned, whether or not Democrats are guilty of a double standard, whether or not Republicans are guilty of a double standard, etc etc. it’s all absurd. Even if you were 100% right and the liberals here arguing with you 100% wrong it would still be absurd. It’s so frustrating that we get bogged down in this complete nonsense. 

How about we discuss the issue that Ms Omar raised: our support of Israel, our lack of support for the Palestinians, and whether or not this makes sense and how should we behave in the future? That’s a damn important issue, and as Saints has pointed out, whenever it comes up around here the only people who regularly respond are myself, Saints, and ren hoak.  Crickets from the rest of you. Perhaps because it’s not an easy topic and doesn’t afford you the chance to bash each other? 

They voted against a resolution calling for the elimination of bigotry against jews, muslims, gays, blacks, etc.  Do we need a separate resolution for every race, religion, lifestyle?   And yes, I do realize that some wanted it to be only about anti-Semitism.  Still speaks volumes that 28 Republicans would vote no to a general resolution asking people to simply not be bigots, period.
It was typical namby pamby Democratic crap. 

I was opposed to a resolution in the first place. It’s meaningless for one thing, doesn’t address any real issues for another (and avoids talking about the root of the problem, which is Israel vs Palestine) and singling out a freshman congresswoman when I could name you a dozen examples of politicians from both parties having said worse stuff (not to mention our President) is simply asinine. 

But typical Democrats, they always feel like they have to apologize for everything. But they couldn’t let it stop there. Similar to the Green New Deal, they felt obligated to make a laundry list of bigotry- let’s condemn all of it at the same time! Weak and ineffectual and meaningless. 

It was typical namby pamby Democratic crap. 

I was opposed to a resolution in the first place. It’s meaningless for one thing, doesn’t address any real issues for another (and avoids talking about the root of the problem, which is Israel vs Palestine) and singling out a freshman congresswoman when I could name you a dozen examples of politicians from both parties having said worse stuff (not to mention our President) is simply asinine. 

But typical Democrats, they always feel like they have to apologize for everything. But they couldn’t let it stop there. Similar to the Green New Deal, they felt obligated to make a laundry list of bigotry- let’s condemn all of it at the same time! Weak and ineffectual and meaningless. 
Steve King said something 10 times more revolting and the Republicans didn't come up with a resolution against racism or white supremacists.  Maybe it wasn't the perfect resolution and maybe you feel it was watered down by including all bigotry, but I'll take doing something over doing nothing every day of the week.

Sigh. 

You want to argue about this. Many liberals who disagree with you want to argue about this. The media is focused on this. 

Everybody is focused on what this woman said, whether or not she should be condemned for it, whether or not conservative anti Semitic remarks should also be condemned, whether or not Democrats are guilty of a double standard, whether or not Republicans are guilty of a double standard, etc etc. it’s all absurd. Even if you were 100% right and the liberals here arguing with you 100% wrong it would still be absurd. It’s so frustrating that we get bogged down in this complete nonsense. 

How about we discuss the issue that Ms Omar raised: our support of Israel, our lack of support for the Palestinians, and whether or not this makes sense and how should we behave in the future? That’s a damn important issue, and as Saints has pointed out, whenever it comes up around here the only people who regularly respond are myself, Saints, and ren hoak.  Crickets from the rest of you. Perhaps because it’s not an easy topic and doesn’t afford you the chance to bash each other? 

Where are you talking about this? Which thread?

Also, Lindsey Graham just said the US should recognize Golan as part of Israel. For someone uneducated on this issue (namely, me), can you give some clarity on this? 

Where are you talking about this? Which thread?

Also, Lindsey Graham just said the US should recognize Golan as part of Israel. For someone uneducated on this issue (namely, me), can you give some clarity on this? 
There’s 2 threads on Israel. And I raise it all the time in threads like this one. 

Golan, or Golan heights, divides Israel and Syria. It was seized in 1967 with the other occupied territories. Syria has demanded it back ever since. Israel has placed settlers there for about 40 years now. It’s not a key gripe for the Palestinans but it is a key gripe for Syria. It was always figured that it would eventually be returned to Syria (or at least most of it) as part of a larger peace agreement. But if Israel formally annexes it that’s just going to aggravate the Muslim world even more. This seems to be the playbook for Trump, Netanyahu  and the hardliners: lets see how much we can piss off the Arabs. Doesn’t make much sense to me...

Here's Omar taking shots at Saudi influence in American politics.  I assume an avalanche of criticism from conservatives calling her bigoted against Arabs is incoming, right?  I'd hate to think that they actually don't care about bigotry at all and were just using the legitimate, serious problem of anti-Semitism as a self-serving tool they could use to take shots at a politician they don't like and to drive a wedge between factions on the left. 

You and I post in the Israel-Palestine thread (and Ren in his), not too much interest otherwise. But yeah it was one of OBL's two stated reasons for attacking NYC & DC in 2001, and it's been a continuing factor in increasing extremism, war and the danger of war in the mideast since the 1960s. Right now Israel has been running bombing raids in Syria, and Iran is near Israel's border. Meanwhile the US moves its embassy to Jerusalem, shuts down the Palestinian mission, cuts off aid, and appears set on a one state solution and one that doesn't seem to provide for Palestinian interests. But hey don't worry about that, that's in the portfolio of Trump's son in law, who after all is a real estate developer.
I agree with this, just to add that Palestine never needed aid.  It just needs fair access to its own air and waterways, freedom of movement, equal rights under law, and for Israel to quit bombing them back to the stone age. Basic human rights afforded to any (real) democratic society.  

I agree with this, just to add that Palestine never needed aid.  It just needs fair access to its own air and waterways, freedom of movement, equal rights under law, and for Israel to quit bombing them back to the stone age. Basic human rights afforded to any (real) democratic society.  
1. If the Palestinians had everything you mentioned here, they would still need aid. For the most part they are an extremely poor people. 

2. All societies, democratic or otherwise, deserve basic human rights. I mention this only because the Palestinians do not have and have never had a (real) democratic society. 

1. If the Palestinians had everything you mentioned here, they would still need aid. For the most part they are an extremely poor people. 

2. All societies, democratic or otherwise, deserve basic human rights. I mention this only because the Palestinians do not have and have never had a (real) democratic society. 
1. I don't think so.  That they've lasted this long is a testament to how resilient they are.  

2. I wouldn't pretend to know the history going back that far, and I doubt I'd find your interpretation of it reliable.  But I'm pretty sure they were doing well enough before 1948. 

My point was, the common refrain is that Israel is the only/strongest "democracy" in the Middle East.  But democracies don't apply racist exclusions to their own citizens.  

ren hoek said:
1. I don't think so.  That they've lasted this long is a testament to how resilient they are.  

2. I wouldn't pretend to know the history going back that far, and I doubt I'd find your interpretation of it reliable.  But I’m pretty sure they were doing well enough before 1948.

My point was, the common refrain is that Israel is the only/strongest "democracy" in the Middle East.  But democracies don't apply racist exclusions to their own citizens.  
No offense, but the bolded is not only completely the opposite of the truth, it demonstrates an amazing ignorance of history from someone who is interested in this subject, and frankly it puts into question any thing you have ever written regarding Israel and the Palestinians. 

Surprised this wasn’t posted yet (just kidding I’m not surprised).

Rep. Ilhan Omar, Minnesota Democrat, has an ally of a new stripe in the furor over her use of anti-Semitic tropes regarding Israel and its American supporters — David Duke.

In a Thursday podcast at his site, the former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard spoke out strongly in favor of the Muslim Congresswoman who has accused Jewish lawmakers of dual loyalty, attributed support for Israel to foreign money, and said Israel has “hypnotized” the world.

“By defiance to Z.O.G. Ilhan Omar is NOW the most important Member of the US Congress!” Mr. Duke wrote on his site, using the acronym for “Zionist Occupation Government,” a term anti-Semites use to refer to the U.S. government as secretly controlled by Jews.

Mr. Duke and co-podcaster Eric Striker, according to the site, “heaped praise on Ilhan Omar (D-New Somalia) for being the one person in Congress willing to notice AIPAC and the “dual” loyalty of many (((members of Congresss))).”
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/7/david-duke-praises-rep-ilhan-omar/

I think this is a good read (WaPo article):

The meeting was supposed to ease tensions between Muslim and Jewish Democrats. It ended with tears.

A behind the scenes effort by the Dems to come to grips with some tough issues confronting the party.  I applaud the people involved for sitting down and having the conversations, and being willing to look at tough issues from different perspectives.  

This is a long battle - and maybe no end in sight - but even taking baby-steps forward is a good sign, imo.

Is this real life?

Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, is backing her freshman colleague, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., over the claim that there were "concentration camps" along the southern border, saying what the U.S. government is doing fits the "general definition."

Ocasio-Cortez created a firestorm during Monday's livestream by declaring that the Trump administration was "running" concentration camps, invoking the Holocaust-link "never again" saying and claiming that a "fascist" presidency is currently in office. Amid backlash, the congresswoman insisted that she wasn't referring to Nazi concentration camps, but doubled down on her terminology.

During a Thursday interview on Public Radio International, Omar echoed Ocasio-Cortez's stance and defended the term and noted the separation of "death camps."

"When you look at what is taking place, people are being put in camps. And when you think about the definition, if we separate it from death camps, I would say these are camps and people are being concentrated in them. And so that's the general definition," Omar said

Here's Omar taking shots at Saudi influence in American politics.  I assume an avalanche of criticism from conservatives calling her bigoted against Arabs is incoming, right?  I'd hate to think that they actually don't care about bigotry at all and were just using the legitimate, serious problem of anti-Semitism as a self-serving tool they could use to take shots at a politician they don't like and to drive a wedge between factions on the left. 
Among the countries over there, SA is comparatively better than the rest.  Excluding Jordan.   Not saying much in an absolute sense, of course.

The problem with access, of course, is the propensity to bomb buses and fling missiles all over.  The religious mandate to exterminate the Jewish state and its peoples has been a constant for quite a while now.  The best place to try to start access is for Egypt to open the doors for their brothers and welcome them.  

Is this real life?

"When you look at what is taking place, people are being put in camps. And when you think about the definition, if we separate it from death camps, I would say these are camps and people are being concentrated in them. And so that's the general definition," Omar said.
So a prison = concentration camp.  African refugee camps = concentration camps.  The Superdome in 2006 = concentration camp.

Got it.

I'm having a hard time understanding why what we call these camps is a bigger story than, for example, a DOJ attorney arguing that the kids shouldn't be given soap, toothbrushes, and blankets.

I'm having a hard time understanding why what we call these camps is a bigger story than, for example, a DOJ attorney arguing that the kids shouldn't be given soap, toothbrushes, and blankets.
Because arguing the first allows people to demonize the left for making the comparison...rather than come to the realization of how we are treating these people. 

So a prison = concentration camp.  African refugee camps = concentration camps.  The Superdome in 2006 = concentration camp.

Got it.
I don’t even want to know how Democrats will outdo themselves next year summer on this.

2018-“people in cages!”

2019-“people in concentration camps!”

That’s not what they were arguing.

Because AOC has a gigantic platform, and when she says something inflammatory and dumb, it tends to suck all the oxygen out of the room.

Because AOC has a gigantic platform, and when she says something inflammatory and dumb, it tends to suck all the oxygen out of the room.
When has she said something that was inflammatory and/or dumb? Haven't seen/read/heard anything from her that fits that description.

Users who are viewing this thread