What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The AAF and XFL (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Did anyone watch the opening weekend of games?  I have to say, I was impressed by the first week.  I think the fact they had coaches who I knew helped.  And I loved the new rules.  The speed of the game was crazy fast.  I was always against getting rid of the kickoff, but after watching these games, I think the NFL should do away with it.  It was awesome seeing a team kick a field goal and then less than 30 seconds later, the other team was already starting their drive.  And the SkyJudge worked great.  Loved seeing that and think the NFL needs to adopt that.  

The other thing I thought was cool was that we could hear the replay officials and what they were discussing.  Such a simple thing that added to the process.  I'm pulling for them and the XFL to work.  I think it would be a good thing for both the NFL and college football in the long run.

Did anyone watch the opening weekend of games?  I have to say, I was impressed by the first week.  I think the fact they had coaches who I knew helped.  And I loved the new rules.  The speed of the game was crazy fast.  I was always against getting rid of the kickoff, but after watching these games, I think the NFL should do away with it.  It was awesome seeing a team kick a field goal and then less than 30 seconds later, the other team was already starting their drive.  And the SkyJudge worked great.  Loved seeing that and think the NFL needs to adopt that.  

The other thing I thought was cool was that we could hear the replay officials and what they were discussing.  Such a simple thing that added to the process.  I'm pulling for them and the XFL to work.  I think it would be a good thing for both the NFL and college football in the long run.
I haven't seen any yet, but I'm sure I'll get bored enough to tune in at some point.  

Why did they go out and establish two different leagues?  Why not merge the talent and have one league?  Town ain't big enough for both, I would think.  

And no, don't move this to the SP.  We're not going there with this.

Who are the early stars?  I saw Trent Richardson scored, but his YPC was like 1.8.....again.  
Him and Hackenburg are the two names I recognized.  Not sure about stars for players, but the coaches are fairly big names:

- Rick Neuheisel

- Mike Singletary

- Steve Spurrier

- Dennis Erickson

- Mike Martz

Him and Hackenburg are the two names I recognized.  Not sure about stars for players, but the coaches are fairly big names:

- Rick Neuheisel

- Mike Singletary

- Steve Spurrier

- Dennis Erickson

- Mike Martz
Which one is Mike Riley coaching?  I know Big Game Bob Stoops is in the XFL.

Liked it a lot
I did, too.  I went in with very low expectations after the last XFL experiment.  But the product on the field was just as good as any college game I've watched.  

I'm assuming the NFL is on board with the AAF since the Sunday game was on the NFL Network.  I wonder what their take on the XFL is?  I know they probably are not fans, but honestly I think embracing both leagues would benefit the NFL in the long run.

I did, too.  I went in with very low expectations after the last XFL experiment.  But the product on the field was just as good as any college game I've watched.  

I'm assuming the NFL is on board with the AAF since the Sunday game was on the NFL Network.  I wonder what their take on the XFL is?  I know they probably are not fans, but honestly I think embracing both leagues would benefit the NFL in the long run.
Buddy and I were just talking about the AAF last night and the things you mentioned were exactly what we both agreed we liked and would like to see implemented in the NFL

I mean, I liked it fine but, c'mon.  The bolded is just nuts.  The games were actually pretty bad.  Hackenburg looked worse than ever.  If you're saying the players on the field were just as good as many college players, yes.  But the games themselves were not played well and were not competitive.  It was a novelty and it was nice to have football on after the crap SB, and I agree I liked some of the rules.  I was entertained.  But we'll see in 5 weeks if they still have an audience.

I wasn't impressed with the quality of play (I probably bailed early, I turned if off after a QB missed an open receiver in the end zone, this happens in the NFL so I overreacted), but I also endorse the rule changes and game presentation changes.  I like hearing the replay official, I think hearing what they are actually talking about is far superior to watching some former has been washed up or never was player interpret what I can clearly see for myself.  Definitely needs to come to the NFL.

I didn't notice a huge change in the pace, considering so many teams are going to a no huddle/call the play at the LOS offense.  Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.  The bigger change of pace was the limited commercials, but we all know that won't catch on in the NFL.

I didn't see it put in action, but a 4th and 12 (or whatever it is) instead of an onside kick attempt is probably the best idea out there.  Would totally change late game strategy, or at least keep the players more hopeful for a comeback.

Really enjoyed it. Two things they need to change though, because it makes them look clownish, IMO:

1. The referees jerseys

2. The team names and uniforms. They could do SO much better with these. Why do these leagues feel they have to have these odd color combos and odd names?

I wasn't impressed with the quality of play (I probably bailed early, I turned if off after a QB missed an open receiver in the end zone, this happens in the NFL so I overreacted), but I also endorse the rule changes and game presentation changes.  I like hearing the replay official, I think hearing what they are actually talking about is far superior to watching some former has been washed up or never was player interpret what I can clearly see for myself.  Definitely needs to come to the NFL.

I didn't notice a huge change in the pace, considering so many teams are going to a no huddle/call the play at the LOS offense.  Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.  The bigger change of pace was the limited commercials, but we all know that won't catch on in the NFL.

I didn't see it put in action, but a 4th and 12 (or whatever it is) instead of an onside kick attempt is probably the best idea out there.  Would totally change late game strategy, or at least keep the players more hopeful for a comeback.
It might be because you didn't pay attention, as you say.  I can't say for sure.  But when a score happened, the other team immediately started with the ball.  No timeout, then kickoff, then timeout.  It reminded me of hockey when a team scores and they go right to a face off to restart action.  I've always just accepted that after a score in football, you take 5-10 minutes before play starts back up.  But seeing it eliminated was a beautiful thing.

Really enjoyed it. Two things they need to change though, because it makes them look clownish, IMO:

1. The referees jerseys

2. The team names and uniforms. They could do SO much better with these. Why do these leagues feel they have to have these odd color combos and odd names?
I agree with the 1 and the first part of 2.  As for the names, I think all new team names sound odd.  Jazz, Magic, Browns, Packers, Steelers... I really only think a lot of teams sound normal because we're used to them.

I agree with the 1 and the first part of 2.  As for the names, I think all new team names sound odd.  J###, Magic, Browns, Packers, Steelers... I really only think a lot of teams sound normal because we're used to them.
All of those names have a somewhat logical reason behind them 

Jazz - Dumb that they've kept it, but originated in New Orleans 

Magic - Orlando, Disney, Magic Kingdom

Browns - family name of ownership

Packers - Company sponsors when franchise started

Steelers - Pittsburgh = Steel city

Color schemes of the AAF teams seem fine

As for the names, I'm all good with SD Fleet as SD is a big Navy town. Unless I'm missing something for the other towns, the rest are a big meh.

I haven't seen any yet, but I'm sure I'll get bored enough to tune in at some point.  

Why did they go out and establish two different leagues?  Why not merge the talent and have one league?  Town ain't big enough for both, I would think.  

And no, don't move this to the SP.  We're not going there with this.
You should probably be a San Diego Fleet fan 

Uniform

Looks familiar

All of those names have a somewhat logical reason behind them 

Jazz - Dumb that they've kept it, but originated in New Orleans 

Magic - Orlando, Disney, Magic Kingdom

Browns - family name of ownership

Packers - Company sponsors when franchise started

Steelers - Pittsburgh = Steel city

Color schemes of the AAF teams seem fine

As for the names, I'm all good with SD Fleet as SD is a big Navy town. Unless I'm missing something for the other towns, the rest are a big meh.
Yes, they all have meaning.  But that doesn't mean they aren't stupid.  Steelers sounds cool now, but if you break that name down, it's leotarded.  I'm sure the AAF names all have meaning, too.  I just don't know them all.  Hotshots is the name they call the forest fire fighters.  Memphis is where FedEx is headquartered.  Birmingham was a huge iron producer.  

Again, everything has meaning.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be because you didn't pay attention, as you say.  I can't say for sure.  But when a score happened, the other team immediately started with the ball.  No timeout, then kickoff, then timeout.  It reminded me of hockey when a team scores and they go right to a face off to restart action.  I've always just accepted that after a score in football, you take 5-10 minutes before play starts back up.  But seeing it eliminated was a beautiful thing.
Ya, I'll probably not watch again until I'm actually Jonesing for some football. I think that was part of their strategic error here.  I think they are trying to coattail the momentum of attention to NFL playoffs, but it is a huge step down from just watching two of the best teams in the world to this just a week later.  I think they want to get it going before baseball regular season heats up, but I think they need a little bit of withdrawal to happen first.

I see that pitchers and catcher are starting to report.  Maybe they thought if they waited, attention would turn elsewhere and so they needed to start while people were thinking football.  I don't think that is the right idea though.  Football is only in competition with itself, and perfecting the product.  As long as the product is good (and these improvements in the process I think could make up for the lower quality), so they need to let a time lapse.  Just my .02.

Is the xfl going to run concurrent with this? Will be weird to have two leagues going at the same time. 

Is the xfl going to run concurrent with this? Will be weird to have two leagues going at the same time. 

I believe so.  But the XFL starts next year, so the AAF got a head start to perfect their product.
I dont see how the XFL2 is going to find enough leftover talent to field a good product. 

There are 2 more leagues besides these two cropping up as well. One of them involving Mike Golic and another former player I’ve forgotten. 

I dont see how the XFL2 is going to find enough leftover talent to field a good product. 

There are 2 more leagues besides these two cropping up as well. One of them involving Mike Golic and another former player I’ve forgotten. 
The thought is that they'll be pulling a lot of the top talent out of college.  Do you want to play at Alabama for 3 years for free, or three years in the XFL and get paid?  

heard this morning that there's also going to be a Pacific Coast League.. or something like that. 

so 3 minor football leagues playing at the same time. i cannot wait to watch guys that washed out of d3 playing minor league "pro" football.

And what's with the 4 and 12 rule?  Why 12 yards?
I think I read an article a while back comparing the odds of successfully converting an onside kick (before the current kickoff rules) to achieving a certain number of yards on a 4th down.  I think the article said the odds were closer to 18 than 12, but I think that's where the idea originated.

heard this morning that there's also going to be a Pacific Coast League.. or something like that. 

so 3 minor football leagues playing at the same time. i cannot wait to watch guys that washed out of d3 playing minor league "pro" football.
There will be 4 leagues going at the same time. 

AAF

XFL2

Pacific coast League (Headed by Ed Mccaffry (sp?)

Another league I dont remeber the name of (Headed by one of the Golics)

I watched the SD @ San Antonio game and really enjoyed it.  I went to school at Alabama, so was hoping to watch the Birmingham Iron game Sunday but couldn't get it in Northern Va.  I can say, I thought Logan Woodside (San Antonio QB) was better than anyone currently on the Redskins roster, but that definitely doesn't say much.  Some other notable players I noticed through the weekend were Brandon Oliver, Matt Asiata, Gavin Escobar, and Quinton Patton.  It feels like there are maybe 2-3 guys on each team that could probably be on an NFL roster if they had the right breaks.  I think they said 81% of the players been signed by an NFL team at some point.

And what's with the 4 and 12 rule?  Why 12 yards?
I think I read an article a while back comparing the odds of successfully converting an onside kick (before the current kickoff rules) to achieving a certain number of yards on a 4th down.  I think the article said the odds were closer to 18 than 12, but I think that's where the idea originated.
Yep. 4th-and-10 is too easy to convert. 4th-and-20 is too hard to convert.

There will be 4 leagues going at the same time. 

AAF

XFL2

Pacific coast League (Headed by Ed Mccaffry (sp?)

Another league I dont remeber the name of (Headed by one of the Golics)
Don't forget about the AFL.  They fire things up in April
Don't forget the Freedom Football League, which was founded by Ricky Williams.

The cities and team names have already been chosen, although they don't have any owners yet.

They actually created a website to try to find owners. ("Become A Team Owner! Click here!" :lol:  )

I love how they couldn't even afford a ".com" domain, so they got one of those cheap ".co" domains.

Users who are viewing this thread