What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Weld looking to primary Trump... (1 Viewer)

unckeyherb

Footballguy
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/politics/bill-weld-2020-exploratory-committee/index.html

He would bring sanity back to the GOP.  Watching in 2016, it was clear to me (and probably everyone else watching) that Gary should have been taking a back seat to Weld.  He is whip smart, thoughtful, has the governing bona fides to run for President.  He held very progressive views on gay marriage long before many democrats changed their tune.  He supported stricter gun control measures 25 years ago than most R's would now.  He is inherently Libertarian, which is why he's great and he ####### own Trump in a debate on policy.  Two thumbs up for this.

He has no shot at winning but I always liked Bill Weld.  There will be someone, whether it's Weld or someone else, who is that placeholder for a primary alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Weld is solid, but I don't think the Rs want sanity.
I think there are more than you think.  And Weld would pull from a wide swath of independents and classical liberals as well.  Especially if the dems go full progressive.  

The more the merrier but not too many more. Hopefully Kasich gets in. A 1-3 opponent field is fine. People need to focus on one primary opponent.

I'd love to see Kasich or Evan McMullin enter the race, but if Weld is my only primary option then I will be voting for him.

The more the merrier but not too many more. Hopefully Kasich gets in. A 1-3 opponent field is fine. People need to focus on one primary opponent.
NYC/NYS has closed primaries so I can't vote for R candidates but he seems less objectionable than most.

An incumbent president has not lost a bid for renomination since Chester A. Arthur at the GOP convention in 1884 — meaning that it’s never happened in the modern era of presidential primaries.

NYC/NYS has closed primaries so I can't vote for R candidates but he seems less objectionable than most.

An incumbent president has not lost a bid for renomination since Chester A. Arthur at the GOP convention in 1884 — meaning that it’s never happened in the modern era of presidential primaries.
There’s no way Trump could lose to a Weld or even Kasich. But I do think it’s important he’s challenged.

The only person who could seriously have a go at him is Romney and I’m sure that’s not happening.

My daughter is nearly 7 years old and somehow she still believes in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.  Sure it's adorable, but I'm also kind of surprised and alarmed by her naivete.

My daughter is nearly 7 years old and somehow she still believes in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.  Sure it's adorable, but I'm also kind of surprised and alarmed by her naivete.
My then-8 year old cried for 20 minutes at the breakfast table after I told her Hillary lost. She wanted a girl president, and she was scared Trump would send some of her classmates back to the countries they were born in (or worse, where their parents were born and they had never been to.)

But point taken. Unless Trump pulls an LBJ he's the presumptive nominee in 2020.

True, although LBJ was effectively primaried. He did poorly vs. McCatrhy in NH (though he still won) and then RFK entered the race, at which point Johnson dropped out. Impossible to know what would have happened if he had stayed in, especially with Bobby's assassination, but there's at least a decent chance he would have lost the nomination.

All that said, I agree that no way is Trump getting primaried, particularly not by Bill Freakin' Weld. Also, as much as we can disparage the sanity of Republican primary voters, at least in this case, they're being quite rational. The GOP's best chance to hold the White House in 2020 is to keep Trump at the top of the ticket. Anything else would almost guarantee electoral disaster. Disagree? Sketch out the scenario for me where Republicans win with someone else.

Also, as much as we can disparage the sanity of Republican primary voters, at least in this case, they're being quite rational. The GOP's best chance to hold the White House in 2020 is to keep Trump at the top of the ticket. Anything else would almost guarantee electoral disaster.
I strongly disagree with this. I mean, the middle sentence is true, but the stuff before and after it is way off, IMO.

I'll be voting for Weld in the primary but unfortunately I don't think he'll make much of an impact. Trump will be able to hammer him for his abortion views and for the fact that Trump beat him in 2016. He's just not going to attract enough Never Trumpers.

I'll be voting for Weld in the primary but unfortunately I don't think he'll make much of an impact. Trump will be able to hammer him for his abortion views and for the fact that Trump beat him in 2016. He's just not going to attract enough Never Trumpers.
According to polling about approval of Trump the never Trumpers in the Republican party max out at 10-12% of the R voters, There never were enough never Trumpers

Certainly there is a portion of the GOP unhappy with Trump but at this time it doesn't seem to be large enough to allow a successful challenge. With that said the walking scandal machine known as Trump isnt guaranteed to be quite so popular come primary season. No harm in throwing your hat in and seeing what happens. 

Rationality doesn’t mean putting party over country. To a rational Republican, electoral disaster doesn’t mean a Democrat winning; it means Trump winning.
OK, I see your point. I was thinking in terms of coldly cynical political calculations where Republican voters want a Republican in the White House in 2021. From that perspective, Trump is their best bet. But yes, in the grand scheme of things it would be better for all of us if he left the scene yesterday. (One could also argue that, given the bill for Trump that will eventually come due, it would be in the GOP's long-term interest as well. Only I'm not so confident there ever will be a reckoning.)

The biggest reason I will struggle to vote for a Democrat against Trump in 2020 is because he or she are not  pro life. Neither is Weld, but I was excited about having an option in the primary until I heard that. ( I still will be voting for a Democrat for Prez in 2020)

Users who are viewing this thread