Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you?

Are you a total jerk?  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is probably how the conversation went:

Otis: Would you mind switching seats so I won't be separated from my family?

[Man looks around.  Doesn't see any children.]

Man: Where's your family?

Otis: [Points] Over there.  The woman in the front row.

Man:  Oh, that woman is your wife? [Pause]  You know, Buddy, I think I'm good.  I don't like those bulkhead seats.

5 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

This is probably how the conversation went:

Otis: Would you mind switching seats so I won't be separated from my family?

[Man looks around.  Doesn't see any children.]

Man: Where's your family?

Otis: [Points] Over there.  The woman in the front row.

Man:  Oh, that woman is your wife? [Pause]  You know, Buddy, I think I'm good.  I don't like those bulkhead seats.

Except I said “hey, my wife is sitting up there, would you mind switching seats so I could sit with her.”  He actually started to shift in that direction like he was going to, you know, be a normal, decent person, but then came the part where we did some quick calculations about his maximum comfort and decided to refuse.  

On 2/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Otis said:

I don’t get the “bulkhead is way worse.”  Johnsonface had the same three hour flight either way. He would have looked at his stupid phone with his stupid Chinese knock off black colored AirPods in his ears either way at his stupid show.  What’s the difference??

I think this might be my favorite part of this thread.  Laughing about the guy's white watch and then criticizing his headphones for not being douchey-white enough.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

On 2/19/2019 at 10:19 AM, Short Corner said:
On 2/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, shuke said:

The absolute worst are the people clogging up the main aisles at Costco, chatting it up while they eat their samples.  I was practically yelling at people yesterday.

You'd love it over here.  The Germans love chatting in front of doors, stairways, escalators...

I was on a college tour yesterday with my wife and kid, and there was a stop in a relatively busy building.  Everyone gathered around the tour guide as she spoke, most moving to a spot where they could hear but not be in the way of the students who would walk by.  One family stood right in front of an open doorway.  Every person trying to get by had to walk almost right up to them and say excuse me before they would take a couple steps forward, and then once the student was through, they'd back right back to the same spot, even though there were plenty of other places to stand.  It was so maddening to watch.  I don't know if they were German, but they were almost definitely European (going by their clothes and the bits of accent I heard). 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jhib said:

I think this might be my favorite part of this thread.  Laughing about the guy's white watch and then criticizing his headphones for not being douchey-white enough.

Guy has invited criticism on all fronts.  It’s open season.*

*Except don’t post his photograph on the social media juggernaut that is forums.footballguys.com — that’s going too far

14 minutes ago, jhib said:

I was on a college tour yesterday with my wife and kid, and there was a stop in a relatively busy building.  Everyone gathered around the tour guide as she spoke, most moving to a spot where they could hear but not be in the way of the students who would walk by.  One family stood right in front of an open doorway.  Every person trying to get by had to walk almost right up to them and say excuse me before they would take a couple steps forward, and then once the student was through, they'd back right back to the same spot, even though there were plenty of other places to stand.  It was so maddening to watch.  I don't know if they were German, but they were almost definitely European (going by their clothes and the bits of accent I heard). 

You get used to it over here.  I just walk into people and say excuse me.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Except I said “hey, my wife is sitting up there, would you mind switching seats so I could sit with her.”  He actually started to shift in that direction like he was going to, you know, be a normal, decent person, but then came the part where we did some quick calculations about his maximum comfort and decided to refuse.  

Did the wife ask her seat mate?

I bet if Otis asked everyone around him, he could have found a way to sit next to Mrs. O --- I just don't think that is what he really wanted 🐠

• Thinking 1

50 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Did the wife ask her seat mate?

This is my thought. Why didn't Oatdog (should be one word) go up to the bulkhead and offer up his superior seat? Maybe sweeten the deal with some Ritz Crackers or something.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

9 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

This is my thought. Why didn't Oatdog (should be one word) go up to the bulkhead and offer up his superior seat? Maybe sweeten the deal with some Ritz Crackers or something.

He said that they were a family of 3 with one crossing the aisle.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, xulf said:

He said that they were a family of 3 with one crossing the aisle.

Oh you're saying it wasn't a family of 2?

• Like 4
  • Laughing 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Yeah that's weird.  I'd have switched.

• Like 1

Whether Otis said wife or family is irrelevant to me - I would have switched.  I have never declined a request (even if it involved getting sent to an inferior seat).

• Like 1

I would have switched as long as it wasn’t a middle seat.  If kids were involved I would have switched regardless.

I wouldn’t get on the guy for not switching though, especially if no kids were present.  Assigned seating is assigned seating.  If I can’t figure out how to put my family together that’s on me.

Edited by jonessed
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

Whether Otis said wife or family is irrelevant to me - I would have switched.  I have never declined a request (even if it involved getting sent to an inferior seat).

Wait, let me give this a try:

"Thank you for being one of the good guys and not one of those SeatSuperNerdActivist(™) that doesn't even know that a family consists of a wife and can't be inconvenienced by 0.4 millimeters of knee room near the front of the plane (OMZZGG!!1! FalconRoar)

--Oats

• Like 3

That’s a bummer Oats if you need a flight to catch up with Mrs. O.  Make the time imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

That’s a bummer Oats if you need a flight to catch up with Mrs. O.  Make the time imo.

Fixing Otis's rocky marriage is not the job of the guy in 8A. Otis shouldn't be projecting onto him. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I think this is the biggest take-away.  Life isn't about the Money-Money, its about the "family".  Stop working so damn much and spend some time with the wife and kids.  I personally have been doing the same damn work-work-work routine and my wife just started planning a ton of trips (short trips to see new nieces, family gatherings, spring break, etc.) and going to these has really not made things worse (minus some jokesters at work giving me flack). 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 6:12 AM, Otis said:

Can’t tell you how many times someone is flying with a husband or wife or kid but the airline screws it up and seats people apart. Because airlines are teh suck. And they ask me to shift. And whether it’s a “worse” seat or not, I don’t think I’ve ever declined, nor even considered declining. I’ve seen other people refuse and I’m pretty convinced every time that they are giant dooshbags. I’m currently sitting next to one of them. 

Wife and I are at opposite ends of the cabin in first (look at me). Ask the toolbox next to me if he’d mind switching with her. He declines.  “I don’t really want the bulkhead.” (My wife is in the first row). 

So now my wife and I, in the only 24hour trip we’ve had away from our kids in ages, can’t talk during the several hour flight. 

Why are people such jacksticks?

Would you refuse to switch seats?  

ETA — because there seems to be some confusion on this (and I have no idea how that could be, especially because, well, English words, and especially given the context I provided above), let me clarify: YES, FAMILY INCLUDES LIKE THE PERSON YOU ARE MARRIED TO AND STUFF.

Any reason you couldn't move up with your wife and take the bulkhead seat as well?

1 minute ago, kupcho1 said:

Any reason you couldn't move up with your wife and take the bulkhead seat as well?

With the size of those hands of his? No way that they'd fit. 

3 hours ago, Short Corner said:

You get used to it over here.  I just walk into people and say excuse me.

you mean excusenmeisterheimervongutzfargegnugen

Edited by cosjobs

5 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

His first reaction appeared to be anger and the order of business became making this jerk look bad.  It’s understandable, but it also probably pushed out any other line to a solution.

1 hour ago, The Flying Turtle said:

Thank you for fighting the good fight out there.  We, the silent majority, doing what’s right, because it needs doing.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Thank you for fighting the good fight out there.  We, the silent majority, doing what’s right, because it needs doing.

The silence really is deafening. 

26 minutes ago, jonessed said:

His first reaction appeared to be anger and the order of business became making this jerk look bad.  It’s understandable, but it also probably pushed out any other line to a solution.

I didn’t get openly angry at him. I said “oh, ok,” and that was it.  I didn’t make him look bad.  He did that to himself.  

I would switch one first class seat for another, even though I don't prefer bulkhead (light pain to retrieve/stow laptop, but not worth causing others misery).

However, I have been asked multiple times to abandon an aisle or window for a middle seat, and I will always politely decline. I have also been asked to abandon a premium seat I've paid for for a cheaper seat with less room so a couple can sit together. I'm not backward compatible in these matters. I'm not trading down.

I've caught my wife pulling some shenanigans in the past. She booked an aisle and window seat, hoping the airline wouldn't book the middle seat so we'd have a row to ourselves, figuring if they did we could ask them to switch and they'd do so happily because they'd get choice of window or aisle. I told my wife to stop the bush league bull#### if I'm involved in said travel.

There are definitely times, like when booking with miles, that someone will book cheaper seats banking on asking some poor sucker to trade when on the flight. That kind of presumption is vexing. 

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, The General said:

On a flight with the family (my wife).

No seat changing emergencies yet.

Be safe out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

I would switch one first class seat for another, even though I don't prefer bulkhead (light pain to retrieve/stow laptop, but not worth causing others misery).

However, I have been asked multiple times to abandon an aisle or window for a middle seat, and I will always politely decline. I have also been asked to abandon a premium seat I've paid for for a cheaper seat with less room so a couple can sit together. I'm not backward compatible in these matters. I'm not trading down.

All of this is correct.  And any request to someone asking them to trade from an aisle or window into a middle seat, or from a higher class to lower class, is patently unreasonable and should be instarejected.

4 hours ago, Otis said:

All of this is correct.  And any request to someone asking them to trade from an aisle or window into a middle seat, or from a higher class to lower class, is patently unreasonable and should be instarejected.

If a parent and a child are separated and both in middle seats, someone is going to have to give up an aisle or window to allow them to sit together.  I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

4 hours ago, Otis said:

What happened to family

14 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

I've caught my wife pulling some shenanigans in the past. She booked an aisle and window seat, hoping the airline wouldn't book the middle seat so we'd have a row to ourselves, figuring if they did we could ask them to switch and they'd do so happily because they'd get choice of window or aisle. I told my wife to stop the bush league bull#### if I'm involved in said travel.

I don't see a big problem with this approach.  If I were the middle seat in that scenario I'd be happy to switch to either the isle or window.  It's not the same as your other scenarios where you are booking crappier seats hoping someone will feel sorry for you and give you their nicer seat.

Just now, top dog said:

I don't see a big problem with this approach.  If I were the middle seat in that scenario I'd be happy to switch to either the isle or window.  It's not the same as your other scenarios where you are booking crappier seats hoping someone will feel sorry for you and give you their nicer seat.

I’ve decided that if this ever happens to me, I’m going to insist on staying in the middle seat just to thwart their gamesmanship!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I’ve decided that if this ever happens to me, I’m going to insist on staying in the middle seat just to thwart their gamesmanship!

On a one-off basis it seems silly to care, but we have no right to the presumption of a different product than we purchased, and the method of reserving seats interferes with the ability for the airline to maximize profits, which trickles down in other ways.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, kupcho1 said:

Still waiting to hear from @Otis on this... any reason you wouldn't take they crappy seat with the bulkhead?

11 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

Still waiting to hear from @Otis on this... any reason you wouldn't take they crappy seat with the bulkhead?

It's been mentioned - the person in the other bulkhead seat was sitting across the aisle from his/her spouse and child.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AcerFC said:

What happened to family

We don’t even know what that word means anymore. 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:12 AM, Otis said:

Can’t tell you how many times someone is flying with a husband or wife or kid but the airline screws it up and seats people apart. Because airlines are teh suck. And they ask me to shift. And whether it’s a “worse” seat or not, I don’t think I’ve ever declined, nor even considered declining. I’ve seen other people refuse and I’m pretty convinced every time that they are giant dooshbags. I’m currently sitting next to one of them. 

Wife and I are at opposite ends of the cabin in first (look at me). Ask the toolbox next to me if he’d mind switching with her. He declines.  “I don’t really want the bulkhead.” (My wife is in the first row). 

So now my wife and I, in the only 24hour trip we’ve had away from our kids in ages, can’t talk during the several hour flight. 

Why are people such jacksticks?

Would you refuse to switch seats?  

ETA — because there seems to be some confusion on this (and I have no idea how that could be, especially because, well, English words, and especially given the context I provided above), let me clarify: YES, FAMILY INCLUDES LIKE THE PERSON YOU ARE MARRIED TO AND STUFF.

You fly commercial? :lmao:

• Like 2

I'm almost 100% sure the airlines keep a minor with an adult...not the whole family, but one.

6 minutes ago, xulf said:

I'm almost 100% sure the airlines keep a minor with an adult...not the whole family, but one.

Consider an example involving Southwest. Mother and 12 year old daughter are in the C boarding group. Only middle seats (not together) are left when they board. 

Just now, bigbottom said:

Consider an example involving Southwest. Mother and 12 year old daughter are in the C boarding group. Only middle seats (not together) are left when they board. 

Dont families with kids get pre boarded?

12 minutes ago, xulf said:

Dont families with kids get pre boarded?

Not 12-year-olds. I think the pre-boarding announcement is “families traveling with small children.”

Just checked the Southwest site - Family preboarding is for families with children six years of age or younger. 

Edited by bigbottom

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Not 12-year-olds. I think the pre-boarding announcement is “families traveling with small children.”

Just checked the Southwest site - Family preboarding is for families with children six years of age or younger. 

Yeah, that's balls.

13 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

So, I have 2 girls (5 and 6 at the moment)...I'm paying whatever it takes to not be separated when that time comes.

1 minute ago, xulf said:

So, I have 2 girls (5 and 6 at the moment)...I'm paying whatever it takes to not be separated when that time comes.

Good plan. 

9 hours ago, xulf said:

Too bad @Otis wont take the bulkhead 🤫

And sit next to the other unwashed in the first class bulkhead?  I couldn't.

Just thought of an analogous situation.  The Long Island Railroad commute home from Manhattan every day is ruthless.  It's like Thunderdome the way people charge down to the platform and grapple for a seat when the track is announced.  Lots of folks stuck standing for 45 mins on their commute home in packed cars after a long day at work.  Super crappy commute.  

A couple weeks ago I had an aisle seat.  And as it became standing room only and people started populating the aisle next to me, two elderly ladies got on, one of them asked me to get up for a second to take the middle seat.  The other was planning to just stand in the aisle.  Now, I COULD have kept my aisle seat and allowed that to happen.  I mean, I planned well, I really wanted a seat so I could sit and get some work done on the commute home.  I got to the station early, and stood in a strategic place that I thought would maximize my odds of getting a seat.  I even narrowed down the likely tracks to just a couple.  So when it was announced, I got a seat. 

I worked hard for that seat.  It had a significant impact on my commute home.  But of course I gave my seat up to elderly lady #2.  Because it's the right thing to do, and because I'm not a sociopath.

You'd have to be a real cuthroat, hard-hearted jackstick to do otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Otis said:

Just thought of an analogous situation.  The Long Island Railroad commute home from Manhattan every day is ruthless.  It's like Thunderdome the way people charge down to the platform and grapple for a seat when the track is announced.  Lots of folks stuck standing for 45 mins on their commute home in packed cars after a long day at work.  Super crappy commute.  

A couple weeks ago I had an aisle seat.  And as it became standing room only and people started populating the aisle next to me, two elderly ladies got on, one of them asked me to get up for a second to take the middle seat.  The other was planning to just stand in the aisle.  Now, I COULD have kept my aisle seat and allowed that to happen.  I mean, I planned well, I really wanted a seat so I could sit and get some work done on the commute home.  I got to the station early, and stood in a strategic place that I thought would maximize my odds of getting a seat.  I even narrowed down the likely tracks to just a couple.  So when it was announced, I got a seat. 

I worked hard for that seat.  It had a significant impact on my commute home.  But of course I gave my seat up to elderly lady #2.  Because it's the right thing to do, and because I'm not a sociopath.

You'd have to be a real cuthroat, hard-hearted jackstick to do otherwise.

You’re a good human. That’s why I think you misstated things when you said “any request to someone asking them to trade from an aisle or window into a middle seat . . . is patently unreasonable and should be  instarejected.”  If there was a child in the middle seat next to you, and the mother asked you to switch to her middle seat so she could sit by her child, I’m guessing you would absolutely accommodate them.