What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you? (1 Viewer)

Are you a jerk who would refuse letting a family sit together?

• Yes I’m a jerk

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No I’m a decent person and would let a family fly together

Votes: 95 65.1%

• Total voters
Flying with the whole family tomorrow.

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.
Wait...you expect the dude in front of you not to recline his seat 3cm but you expect people to switch seats with you?

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.
Aisle seat.  Noise cancelling headphones.   Knowing how to travel is a plus.

Your family has a week of vacation.  Those few hours not sitting next to them, that's your vacation.  In fact check in at the terminal and slip them a twenty if they let you sit as far as possible from your family then tell your wife there was a big mix up. 
Oh believe me, in this case, with the plan being for me to get the solo seat, other peoples’ aversions to kindness and basic decency work out in my favor. It’s a win for the old Oat dog. 

Wait...you expect the dude in front of you not to recline his seat 3cm but you expect people to switch seats with you?
Yup. Same way I switch seats with them so they can sit with their travel companions. Have done it plenty of times. It’s called being a normal non-dikkish human. 

Aisle seat.  Noise cancelling headphones.   Knowing how to travel is a plus.

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

People generally have to pay more for the aisle seat.

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

Do you pick seats using bingo ping pong balls?  At least you won airline tic tac toe.

its weird, we booked an international trip with my family of five and I determined how to get the optimal seat selections by clicking seat boxes on the website when I booked my tickets.

Do you pick seats using bingo ping pong balls?  At least you won airline tic tac toe.

its weird, we booked an international trip with my family of five and I determined how to get the optimal seat selections by clicking seat boxes on the website when I booked my tickets.
Oh wow yeah that’s the first time someone in this thread has suggested you can select your seats online in advance. Thanks, good pro tip. 

Let me guess, you didn’t want to pay the extra $25 for the “premium” aisle seat so you go cheap hoping to play the “my poor family” card.

with that said if it is a single parent with one kid and they are separated I would switch seats even to a middle every time.

Let me guess, you didn’t want to pay the extra $25 for the “premium” aisle seat so you go cheap hoping to play the “my poor family” card.

with that said if it is a single parent with one kid and they are separated I would switch seats even to a middle every time.
Yeah, because Otis is know around here as being the guy always angling to save that 25 bucks. 

Everyone else suggested it. Then you suggested it. 
What happened with you picking seats? The aircraft changed and they moved you all around?  You picked wanting all window seats and now that’s no longer a good idea?  You didn’t want to pay extra for an aisle seat?  Just curious. There is a lot of indignation here for what seems to be a self-uncured mistake.  If that’s not the case then i apologize.

Yeah, because Otis is know around here as being the guy always angling to save that 25 bucks. 
I am just trying to figure out 1. How you got to the current seat selection, and 2. Why you want to change it now.

you are being a bit coy here as to all of the facts.

Expert question: you pay for a window seat for your 7am homeward bound. You need it to sleep, as you were up up late on blow and tequila and you have to go into work for the afternoon when you get back. You get to your row and a sweet grandmother is in the middle seat and she is traveling with her 4 year old granddaughter who is in your window seat. You have an eyeball hanging clear to the floor. What do you do?

13 pages and a year in, and now folks are floating the notion that aisle seats cost more than window seats?  I fly a fair bit, don’t think I’ve ever seen this concept on any airline or flight. Is this like a Southwest thing or something?
You don’t pick seats on southwest.

very common on American or other large carriers where some seats you pay extra to get. 

What happened with you picking seats? The aircraft changed and they moved you all around?  You picked wanting all window seats and now that’s no longer a good idea?  You didn’t want to pay extra for an aisle seat?  Just curious. There is a lot of indignation here for what seems to be a self-uncured mistake.  If that’s not the case then i apologize.
If you mean the time my wife and I were separate, it’s explained up thread. If you mean this instance with my family, I’m pretty sure I selected seats when we booked 6 months ago, then they changed planes and we didn’t have seats anymore, so I called and the matrix above is the best Delta could do.  So, we are where we are. 

The point isn’t how we got here. It can happen all sorts of ways. And like I said, no indignation this time. Peoples’ obsession with zzzzzzommg aisle seats will work in my favor this time. I still think people who refuse reasonable seat swaps to allow family to fly together are pretty dooshy.  

I am just trying to figure out 1. How you got to the current seat selection, and 2. Why you want to change it now.

you are being a bit coy here as to all of the facts.
I actually don’t want to change it now. Other than it would probably be helpful to my wife and kids, and less disruptive to the passengers around us, if I sat immediately next to our kids.  But probably if it the point is to make it all about me — which seems to be the thrust of it for seat nerds — I’m better off just where I am. 

You don’t pick seats on southwest.

very common on American or other large carriers where some seats you pay extra to get. 
I’ve seen paying extra for the comfort plus, the first 5 or so rows in coach where they supposedly give you more room (I’m skeptical). But the entire row costs more. Including the middle seat. There is no premium charge for the aisle. 

I fly Delta several times a year and never recall paying more for aisle seats. From what I remember, pricing has always been row specific. 
Thank you. 

This has to be some regional airline where they do this, and the rubes can’t pony up the extra loot fast enough for that aisle seat so they can play “graze the cart” with their knees. 

Expert question: you pay for a window seat for your 7am homeward bound. You need it to sleep, as you were up up late on blow and tequila and you have to go into work for the afternoon when you get back. You get to your row and a sweet grandmother is in the middle seat and she is traveling with her 4 year old granddaughter who is in your window seat. You have an eyeball hanging clear to the floor. What do you do?
Suck it up grandma. Didn’t you know SeatShark says that seat has 5 more cubic inches, and I planned 6 months in advance and spent my time researching to get this particular seat. And didn’t you know you could select seats in advance??

Your loss. Now excuse me while I rock this recline back as far as I possibly can. 

I’ve seen paying extra for the comfort plus, the first 5 or so rows in coach where they supposedly give you more room (I’m skeptical). But the entire row costs more. Including the middle seat. There is no premium charge for the aisle. 
Been on United, American, Frontier, and Spirit in the last two months and all required an additional fee to pick your seat. These are "basic economy" fares. The cheapest available.

Suck it up grandma. Didn’t you know SeatShark says that seat has 5 more cubic inches, and I planned 6 months in advance and spent my time researching to get this particular seat. And didn’t you know you could select seats in advance??

Your loss. Now excuse me while I rock this recline back as far as I possibly can. 
This is all about the all-important sleep, nothing else. I gave the kid my seat, but it left a mark.

Been on United, American, Frontier, and Spirit in the last two months and all required an additional fee to pick your seat. These are "basic economy" fares. The cheapest available.
I fly both American and United plenty, and you’re telling me there’s a fee to select your seat?  Never once in my life paid such a fee. 

I fly both American and United plenty, and you’re telling me there’s a fee to select your seat?  Never once in my life paid such a fee. 
Maybe if you book directly with the airline they hide the basic economy option? I start with Google flights, choose the fare, then get linked to the airlines website at that fare.

You did the right thing. Karma will reward you for it. 
I should have made it clear that the kid was booked on the aisle seat next to the grandmother. She just wanted to look out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what universe?
My wife gets our tickets and she told me we pay extra for the aisle seat.  Don’t shoot the messenger.  Maybe sitting together has more to do with it and I prefer the aisle.

Yeah, for folks who buy really lower end tix that are non-refundable, dirt cheap, etc.  My wife almost bought tix like that once.  Fortunately we avoided that stupidity.

Edit to add:  this is true on United, American, etc.  just started seeing this in the past year.

Yeah, for folks who buy really lower end tix that are non-refundable, dirt cheap, etc.  My wife almost bought tix like that once.  Fortunately we avoided that stupidity.

Edit to add:  this is true on United, American, etc.  just started seeing this in the past year.
Why do you have America and Capitalism? ;)  

No one has yet to answer @Otis question.  On what airline do you pay extra for AISLE SEATS?    We are just talking aisle seats here.

I, like others, have seen ROWS where you pay more for. Delta does this if you want a little more leg room.

I would gladly take a discounted window seat over a more expensive aisle seat. I control the window, I can lean my head against the wall, I can pass out cold and nobody has reason to wake me up, I avoid the death trap that is the drink cart.  Good luck with your fancy expensive aisle seats. 

I would gladly take a discounted window seat over a more expensive aisle seat. I control the window, I can lean my head against the wall, I can pass out cold and nobody has reason to wake me up, I avoid the death trap that is the drink cart.  Good luck with your fancy expensive aisle seats. 
:goodposting:

window >> aisle

Exactly.   I sat in the window last night.  So much more room than the aisle because you can lean into the concave of the wall to the right.  Which also gave me more room to stretch out my left leg fully.

I bet you also have that fancy indoor plumbing don’t you?

I just did a mock booking on Delta, SEA -> ORD.  In a regular main cabin booking, if I wanted an aisle seat, it gave me that option for a $39.99 upcharge for a "preferred" seat.  Does the same for window seats.  Only the middles didn't have this.
Ok, so it's not an aisle seat thing.

Yeah aisle and window are the same price.

i did have a flight last week where the middle seats were more expensive than aisle and window. No idea what the algorithm on that could be. I do know frontiers middle seats are wider.

No one has yet to answer @Otis question.  On what airline do you pay extra for AISLE SEATS?    We are just talking aisle seats here.

I, like others, have seen ROWS where you pay more for. Delta does this if you want a little more leg room.
Some premium economy seats have different price points for aisle, middle, and window. Obviously middle is the cheapest and not a ton of difference between aisle and window but I’ve seen aisle like $12 more than window on AA before. 

Users who are viewing this thread