What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you? (1 Viewer)

Are you a jerk who would refuse letting a family sit together?

• Yes I’m a jerk

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No I’m a decent person and would let a family fly together

Votes: 95 65.1%

• Total voters
The funny part is some dudes in here are like LOL OTIS NOBODY AGREES WITH YOU SO YOUR THREADZ IS WRONG.  

And I'm like LOLZ LOOK AT THE POLE, NERD.

I think it's partly true, mostly him just ####### with us.  :shrug:

MOP did this all the time.  Fabricate and embellish something that happened, pit himself against somebody else, proclaim himself the person in the right then argue and rile posters up who disagreed with him.  He was guaranteed multiple pages by replying to those he irritated the most and he loved it.  Loved the attention. 

Otis is doing the same thing right now in this thread. 
Otis is acting dooshy because:

A - this is a good old fashioned fishing thread

B - the simpler, more logical conclusion that would explain why he is acting dooshy

I’ll switch if it’s a kid. I’ll also switch if it’s an adult and I’m not moving to a middle seat. 

As long as those criteria met, sure. I’m not sitting in the middle though if you can’t figure out how to sit together. 

I’ll switch if it’s a kid. I’ll also switch if it’s an adult and I’m not moving to a middle seat. 

As long as those criteria met, sure. I’m not sitting in the middle though if you can’t figure out how to sit together. 
No middle seats at issue here.  We're good.

So for the guys making this about the ruin of a random stranger's internet reputation, and the guys making this about the merits of the bulkhead, how many of you, seriously, are just a little embarrassed that you've refused one of these requests before, and so you're trying desperately to defend the fort at all costs?

Asking for a friend who is a decent human being.
https://www.smartertravel.com/the-one-seat-you-need-to-avoid-on-a-plane/

For some people, bulkhead is basically the first class of economy. But many people don’t realize its drawbacks until they’ve shelled out extra money for these coveted-but-flawed seats. As with seats by the main exit, bulkhead seats lack under-seat storage, meaning you’ll be stowing all your gear during the long stretches of time around takeoff and landing. There’s also the slightly reduced width of the seat (due to the tray-table-in-armrest configuration) to account for, and the simple fact that some find staring at a wall unpleasant. Finally, unless you’ve secured that extra space by filling it with an airline-supplied baby basinet or a bunch of your own junk, you may find that other passengers try to use it as a cut-through to get to the opposite aisle.
Again, I've never refused another passenger's request to swap seats.  I've even swapped from business class to coach (twice).

Walking Boot said:
Dude

I don't get it. You buy tickets, and at that time, you pick your seats. Unless you're flying somewhere low budget airline, it's just 'pick two seats together' and you're done. How is this so difficult for you? 

Last summer I had to buy two tickets separately (one with miles, one in cash) to fly my girlfriend and me to Hawaii, and still managed to pick seats next to each other. They give you a little map and you click the seats you want. Not that hard. 
I’ve had flights switched to a smaller sized jet after initial booking and it screws the seating all up

Family!!!
Really gotta go back to basics in these kinds of threads. 

Family

In the context of human society, a family (from Latin: familia) is a group of people related either by consanguinity (by recognized birth), affinity (by marriage or other relationship), or co-residence (as implied by the etymology of the English word "family") or some combination of these. Members of the immediate family may include spouses, parents, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
Guys, we should do nice things for other people sometimes 

BUT OTIS THE BULKHEAD SEAT IS CRAPPY

Guys it’s not really about the bulkhead, I’m trying to say we should just make small sacrifices to be cool to other people. 

YEAH WELL HERE’S A LINK PROVING THE BULKHEAD STINKS 

Guys it’s not really about the bulkhead, I’m trying to say we should just make small sacrifices to be cool to other people. 

Otis

:lmao:

Millenials attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
No argument with your premise but I think being cool is not asking a stranger to incovenience themselves for you.   Otherwise you are right.
Yeah, this is ultimately where I come out.  I've been asked to switch seats multiple times to assist parents traveling with children.  I don't recall if I've ever been asked to move to allow a husband and wife to sit together, but if I have been, I agreed to do so (since I know that I've never declined to switch seats).  But although my wife and I have been separated before on flights, we've never asked anyone to move.  Why?  Because it seems like an inconvenience to the other passenger (they've already settled in, their luggage is already stowed, they like the seat they're in, they don't like the seat I'm asking them to move to for whatever reason, etc.), and I generally don't like to inconvenience other people just to accommodate my personal preferences.

That being said, I would have readily agreed to switch seats with Mrs. O.  Why?  Mostly because I'm an accommodating person.  But also because I really don't want to suffer the awkwardness of sitting for the next three hours next to the person I refused to accommodate. 

Last year my wife and I flew from Tampa to NYC, it's only like a 2 hour flight. She was a few rows behind me and we were both in coach. I laughed as I listened to her blabbing to her neighbors the entire flight and enjoyed the relatively quiet separation. 

We've been together 40 years. Report back when you get over your honeymoon.

Yeah, this is ultimately where I come out.  I've been asked to switch seats multiple times to assist parents traveling with children.  I don't recall if I've ever been asked to move to allow a husband and wife to sit together, but if I have been, I agreed to do so (since I know that I've never declined to switch seats).  But although my wife and I have been separated before on flights, we've never asked anyone to move.  Why?  Because it seems like an inconvenience to the other passenger (they've already settled in, their luggage is already stowed, they like the seat they're in, they don't like the seat I'm asking them to move to for whatever reason, etc.), and I generally don't like to inconvenience other people just to accommodate my personal preferences.

That being said, I would have readily agreed to switch seats with Mrs. O.  Why?  Mostly because I'm an accommodating person.  But also because I really don't want to suffer the awkwardness of sitting for the next three hours next to the person I refused to accommodate. 
Cosign. Very common sensey.

No argument with your premise but I think being cool is not asking a stranger to incovenience themselves for you.   Otherwise you are right.
Who is asking them to inconvenience themselves. I’m offering them the same damn accommodations in the same class so people traveling together can be travel together.  Would love to hear more about this “inconvenience.” 

FWIW, I suspect in lots of instances people don’t give a crap about one seat versus the other and didn’t spent nine hours researching and selecting their seat in advance. Provided they aren’t sociopaths. 

Perfect :goodposting:

Your premise is flawed. We were the first ones on the flight. I asked the fine gentleman as he was just stepping on and before he put anything down or got settled at all.  I don’t understand this new assumption that “Otis you’re really inconveniencing someone here.”

Hell, for all we know, before asking the question, it may be a person who would love to switch to a window seat and think it an upgrade. Or a person who doesn’t care either way. But a bunch of folks here who are opposing this have instantly jumped to the conclusion that the villain researched this seat for ages, had a debilitating physical ailment, and has already settled in and unpacked all their belongings and they’re sipping a mimosa with their feet up on an ottoman when I ask the question. 

Who is asking them to inconvenience themselves. I’m offering them the same damn accommodations in the same class so people traveling together can be travel together.  Would love to hear more about this “inconvenience.” 

FWIW, I suspect in lots of instances people don’t give a crap about one seat versus the other and didn’t spent nine hours researching and selecting their seat in advance. Provided they aren’t sociopaths. 
Some of us fly every week and spend a lot of our lives on a plane, particularly in first class...trust me when I say seating means more to some than others.   

At least it wasn't a couple that had aisle and window the didn't want to switch and tried to talk to each other during the flight

Some of us fly every week and spend a lot of our lives on a plane, particularly in first class...trust me when I say seating means more to some than others.   
That much is clear. But plenty of us who also travel a bunch wouldn’t care about moving from one seat to another within the same class (provided it’s not a middle seat, which can be really uncomfortable  for we bigger folks). 

Question...

I am traveling with my 65 year old father, my 40 year old sister and her husband.

Should we ask people to move so all 4 of us can sit together?

I mean we are a family traveling

Question...

I am traveling with my 65 year old father, my 40 year old sister and her husband.

Should we ask people to move so all 4 of us can sit together?

I mean we are a family traveling
Obviously you planned ahead properly and you’re all sitting together already, so this is a trick question.  

Bulkhead seat next to a child is not the same accommodations.  :coffee:

Your premise is flawed. We were the first ones on the flight. I asked the fine gentleman as he was just stepping on and before he put anything down or got settled at all.  I don’t understand this new assumption that “Otis you’re really inconveniencing someone here.”

Hell, for all we know, before asking the question, it may be a person who would love to switch to a window seat and think it an upgrade. Or a person who doesn’t care either way. But a bunch of folks here who are opposing this have instantly jumped to the conclusion that the villain researched this seat for ages, had a debilitating physical ailment, and has already settled in and unpacked all their belongings and they’re sipping a mimosa with their feet up on an ottoman when I ask the question. 
No problem asking, no problem in him saying no. It’s that easy. 

Since we have a bunch of frequent flyers in here, if I were to book 3 seats on Southwest using a combo of miles and the Companion Pass, what will I need to do to make sure that at least one of my wife and I are sitting next to my daughter?

We don't fly much (I've never flown SW) and would prefer not to end up in a situation where I'm the one tromping on the plane like some hillbilly asking more prepared flyers to give up their seat for my family.
Whatever you do, don't ask Otis.

Why is the premise flawed?  My statement was a general one about why I never asked someone to switch seats on a plane so I can sit next to my wife.  It was not specific to your situation.

And following your logic, you are no doubt correct that you don't know whether it's really an inconvenience for the person to switch until you ask.  After all, the guy on your flight may have preferred the bulkhead seat.  The problem is that once he gave you his answer that he doesn't like bulkhead seating, you nevertheless concluded that he was a ########.  So whether or not it was an inconvenience to him was ultimately immaterial to your opinion on the matter.

Why is the premise flawed?  My statement was a general one about why I never asked someone to switch seats on a plane so I can sit next to my wife.  It was not specific to your situation.

And following your logic, you are no doubt correct that you don't know whether it's really an inconvenience for the person to switch until you ask.  After all, the guy on your flight may have preferred the bulkhead seat.  The problem is that once he gave you his answer that he doesn't like bulkhead seating, you nevertheless concluded that he was a ########.  So whether or not it was an inconvenience to him was ultimately immaterial to your opinion on the matter.
Ultimately true. And I still ultimately believe people should set petty “preferences” aside for the greater good. I may prefer a left aisle to a right aisle (again because I’m a lunatic), but if that silly preference prevents people who are traveling together from sitting together, I really should set it aside. Because that’s what being a cool person is about. 

Just my view on life. Around 1/3 of the folks here appear to have a different view. And that’s why we have a pretty divided country with lots of people having lots of different views. 

By the way, just like I have the right to ask, and, as you point out, he had the right to refuse, I then also have the right to think he’s an ####### for it. It’s not like I asked the guy outside for a fist fight. 

Obviously you planned ahead properly and you’re all sitting together already, so this is a trick question.  
No we were not sitting together. It was a last minute flight.

But we are all adults and could handle the 2 hours separate...... ;)

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread