What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN: Questions As To Whether Jussie Smollett Faked Attack (2 Viewers)

I am serious, please provide a link that Smollett said that. I did several Google searches but apparently did not have the right search terms as I came up with zip.
I do recall it was reported that Smollett said they told him this is MAGA country. 

In addition, Smollett allegedly texted that he “wanted Ola to place a rope around his neck, pour gasoline on him and yell ‘This is MAGA country,’ ” also allegedly instructing the men to purchase red baseball caps which resemble the ones that say President Donald Trump‘s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/crime/jussie-smollett-allegedly-instructed-men-to-yell-slurs-and-this-is-maga-country-in-staged-attack/amp/

I do recall it was reported that Smollett said they told him this is MAGA country. 

In addition, Smollett allegedly texted that he “wanted Ola to place a rope around his neck, pour gasoline on him and yell ‘This is MAGA country,’ ” also allegedly instructing the men to purchase red baseball caps which resemble the ones that say President Donald Trump‘s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/crime/jussie-smollett-allegedly-instructed-men-to-yell-slurs-and-this-is-maga-country-in-staged-attack/amp/
That does not verify pantherclub's claim that "Jussie lied about his supporters trying to drum up some outrage againts Trump," unless you think that the two alleged attackers were the supporters he was taking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheIronSheik said:
It's several.  Tim said he saw no one.  Look at that article and look at the black and white photo in it.  Celebrities have been posting that all over Twitter.  You guys said NO ONE.  I showed you a bunch.  Now you're trying to say I was wrong because not EVERY cast member is supporting him??  

Now I remember why I hate this place.
I hadn’t seen people celebrating and I will give you credit for posting that. Still, my main concern with your assertion is when you wrote that there were lots of celebrities who called the police racist. I’m honestly skeptical of that claim, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask you to back it up. 

squistion said:
POTUS should NEVER weigh on any matter that might involve a future prosecution, as that might influence a potential jury. Presidents have avoided doing that since Nixon declared that Charles Manson was guilty (which he was, but even the most heinous defendants should get a fair trial).

Trump has not followed this decades long precedent and once again could not resist trying to put his thumb on the scale of justice to influence a future outcome in a criminal matter. Hence the sigh.
Wow....this is the biggest softball ever lobbed on this site. Obama must have been in Kenya when this memo was sent. He weighed in on many potential cases and was the cause of much grief and angst over them. Of course you knew this. 

The mayor and police chief appear to be more outraged with this Smollett case than they are with the hundreds of million dollars that the police force has cost tax payers due to their misconduct and brutality cases.

Foxx now catching heat because she didnt follow state law for recusals.

Her office is trying to spin it.

While the term “recusal “ was used when it was announced she was stepping away from the Smollett case, a Foxx spokeswoman said, “it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense.”

“The state’s attorney did not formally recuse herself or the office based on any actual conflict of interest,” Tandra Simonton said in a statement. “As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor under (state law).”
What a joke. This woman needs to be gone. Terrible DA.

I hadn’t seen people celebrating and I will give you credit for posting that. Still, my main concern with your assertion is when you wrote that there were lots of celebrities who called the police racist. I’m honestly skeptical of that claim, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask you to back it up. 
Do I really have to hold your hand on this?  Read the article.  It lists several celebrities.  I know the headline only says one, but read the whole thing.  Again, that black and white photo with all the big words on it is something that was being plastered all over Twitter yesterday by a bunch of celebrities.  Can you give me a number you'd be happy with?  You said no one.  I showed you an article with several.  

Again, all I did was a Google search for "Jussie Smollet support".  I see now he is being nominated for an NAACP award and host Anthony Anderson is quoted as saying he hopes he wins because of everything he had to go through.  But let's be honest, probably just these two actors are supporting him.  Right?

LINK

squistion said:
:sigh:  I knew it was just a matter of time...

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!
He's not wrong

Wow....this is the biggest softball ever lobbed on this site. Obama must have been in Kenya when this memo was sent. He weighed in on many potential cases and was the cause of much grief and angst over them. Of course you knew this. 
Did ever interfere in a criminal matter suggesting that the DOJ or FBI prosecute someone?

Do I really have to hold your hand on this?  Read the article.  It lists several celebrities.  I know the headline only says one, but read the whole thing.  Again, that black and white photo with all the big words on it is something that was being plastered all over Twitter yesterday by a bunch of celebrities.  Can you give me a number you'd be happy with?  You said no one.  I showed you an article with several.  

Again, all I did was a Google search for "Jussie Smollet support".  I see now he is being nominated for an NAACP award and host Anthony Anderson is quoted as saying he hopes he wins because of everything he had to go through.  But let's be honest, probably just these two actors are supporting him.  Right?

LINK
There can’t be anyone in this world that honestly doesn’t feel this is a complete joke right? Pathetic. 

LINK
Again thank you for the links. But as I wrote and have now repeated twice, my biggest concern is your claim that lots of celebrities responded to Smollett’s arrest by claiming that the Chicago Police are racist. That’s a pretty serious charge, and it’s the main one that I wanted you to back up. If you can’t back it up that’s fine too. 

squistion said:
That does not verify pantherclub's claim that "Jussie lied about his supporters trying to drum up some outrage againts Trump," unless you think that the two alleged attackers were the supporters he was taking about.
Seems like you are trying to defend Smollett here. You of all people should be outraged at the Smollett hoax. It was a slap in the face to the LBGTQ community of Chicago and everywhere. It makes a mockery out of real hate crimes.

Again thank you for the links. But as I wrote and have now repeated twice, my biggest concern is your claim that lots of celebrities responded to Smollett’s arrest by claiming that the Chicago Police are racist. That’s a pretty serious charge, and it’s the main one that I wanted you to back up. If you can’t back it up that’s fine too. 
So you believe institutional racism does not exist in the Chicago police Dept?

TheIronSheik said:
You must not have been following.  He's had a LARGE group of influential and famous people who have stuck by his side and called the cops dirty and racist.  Calling for everyone to wait until justice is served.  They have been in full celebration since the news was announced the other day.
Here’s your original post Iron Sheik. Note the highlighted part. 

I also take issue with your claim that a LARGE group of influential and famous people have stuck by Smollett’s side even after the police chief publicly charged him with a hoax. So far a very few actors have done that. They don’t sound too bright to be honest. And I’m not convinced they’re influential at all, at least in legal terms. 

I want to add that I also agree with President Trump that this situation should be investigated. Trump’s motives, as usual IMO, are pretty rotten, but that doesn’t matter if he’s right. 

Also squistion is wrong about Trump being unique in interfering in legal matters. Presidents have a long history of doing this, all the way back to Nixon talking about the Manson case, to Obama stating that if he had a son,  that son would look like Trayvon Martin. No President should do this, but most of them do, and it’s wrong to single Trump out for this IMO. I have a lot more serious issues with him anyhow. 

So they are racist but not in this case?  
As we have discussed many many times, the existence of institutional racism does not mean that police are racist. 

There’s no evidence that there was any racism in this case on the part of police. Iron Shiel’s claim notwithstanding, I’m not aware of any public person who has made such a charge. Are you? 

CNN:

President Obama's interference in a local law enforcement matter was unprecedented and inappropriate, and he comes away from the case looking badly tarnished by his poor judgment.

As we have discussed many many times, the existence of institutional racism does not mean that police are racist. 

There’s no evidence that there was any racism in this case on the part of police. Iron Shiel’s claim notwithstanding, I’m not aware of any public person who has made such a charge. Are you? 
Not in this case.   The Bennett case in Las Vegas had a lot of people condemning them for racism/racial profiling when in reality it was essentially a hoax.  

Not in this case.   The Bennett case in Las Vegas had a lot of people condemning them for racism/racial profiling when in reality it was essentially a hoax.  
That is true. But in that case, did the police chief publicly state it was a hoax? I can’t remember but I doubt it. 

When the chief made that speech, it was a big deal. I suspect everybody except a few of Smollett’s closest friends stopped supporting him. That’s why I think that what Iron Shiek asserted was completely wrong, and it’s why I asked him to back it up. Which, despite his subsequent posts, he hasn’t. 

I want to add that, as a general rule, I don’t think institutional racism applies very much to black celebrities. If anything, like all celebrities, black celebrities get the benefit of the doubt from police. I disagree with some of my liberal friends on this issue. 

Institutionalized  racism is a real problem, but it primarily applies to poor young black males in urban areas. 

Seems like you are trying to defend Smollett here. You of all people should be outraged at the Smollett hoax. It was a slap in the face to the LBGTQ community of Chicago and everywhere. It makes a mockery out of real hate crimes.
Seems like you are wrong because I am not.

No dog in this fight and it sure if it was posted but just came across this

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/28/jussie-smollett-up-naacp-award-host-anthony-anderson-hopes-he-wins/3298234002/

You know, and maybe this has been said, I haven’t read through this thread, but never lose sight of the fact that Jussie is a piece of human trash who was totally willing to testify against two innocent men roped into this.   

Yes it was. 
His comment that "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," was not passing judgment on the guilt or innocence of George Zimmerman, and was referencing the many young unarmed black man who are shot with or without justification by the police or a vigilante like Zimmerman.

Would it have been best if he had not made that commentary? Yes, but comparing that to Trump's comments about Smollett seems like apples and oranges.

-38 outside at 2am and Jussie was getting eggs.  :lmao:

Was it just coincidence or, if you’re the Osundairo brothers, luck that they happened to run across [Jussie] in his neighborhood at 2 a.m.?” Guthrie asked.

“Neither, they knew he was going to be in his neighborhood at 2 a.m.,” Glandian responded, adding that Abel and Smollett were in “constant communication” that night. The actor has said he hired his friend for fitness training writing Abel a $3,500 check days before the incident, which detectives believe was actually payment to carry out the attack. The two were supposed to have a training session on Jan. 28, but according to Smollett’s attorney,  it was canceled when his flight from New York to Chicago was delayed four hours. Abel apparently told Smollett to make sure to “eat four eggs” and the actor had none at his house, so he responded saying he would run out and pick some up. (In his Good Morning Americainterview, Smollett said he was heading to Walgreens in the early hours of Jan. 29, but
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/jussie-smolletts-lawyer-not-worried-fbi-probe-nothing-improper-done-185918660.html

And he was bashed by people on this board for it...bashed by the right for it.  The same types thatvare now all for Trump doing so.

It was wrong for Obama...it’s wrong now.  And this has nothing to do with Obama.  Just the typical whatabiutism BS.

CNN:

President Obama's interference in a local law enforcement matter was unprecedented and inappropriate, and he comes away from the case looking badly tarnished by his poor judgment.
Then why celebrate Trump doing it now?

Id even bet someone could find quotes and tweets where Trump criticized Obama for speaking out about such matters.

His comment that "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," was not passing judgment on the guilt or innocence of George Zimmerman, and was referencing the many young unarmed black man who are shot with or without justification by the police or a vigilante like Zimmerman.

Would it have been best if he had not made that commentary? Yes, but comparing that to Trump's comments about Smollett seems like apples and oranges.
Actually Obama's administration did a heck of a lot more.   When the local prosecutor did not press charges, there were threats of federal investigations and eventually they did press charges.  Even after the case was lost, there was a team of investigators trying to dig up civil rights violation charges against Zimmerman.  

I agree that no President of 330 million people should ever comment on local individual crimes or possible crimes. Let the local authorities do their jobs.

While the term “recusal “ was used when it was announced she was stepping away from the Smollett case, a Foxx spokeswoman said, “it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense.”
Lawyerguys, can someone explain "colloquial recusal"?  

People really don't think he still had supporters? Get your head out of the sand. The guy still was technically NOT FIRED from Empire!

People really don't think he still had supporters? Get your head out of the sand. The guy still was technically NOT FIRED from Empire!
Well, technically, no, he was suspended and written off of the remaining season's episodes. However that was just a move by the producers so as not to appear to make a implicit public statement about whether or not he staged the hate crime attack.

Even with the charges being dropped, he has received so much notoriety and bad press over this, I can't imagine his ever returning to the show or having a viable acting or performing career either.

Users who are viewing this thread