What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

11 yo arrested for being disruptive. Not for refusing to stand for pledge. (Was - 11 yo arrested for not standing for pledge) (1 Viewer)

Sheriff Bart

Footballguy
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/02/florida-student-arrested-pledge-of-allegiance.amp

. The teacher then apparently got into a contentious argument with the boy and asked “Why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live,” according to a statement the teacher gave to the district
:rolleyes:

Updated:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/us/florida-pledge-of-allegiance-altercation-arrest/index.html

(CNN)A Florida school district said that a student who refused to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance was arrested for becoming disruptive, not for refusing to say the pledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously that teacher should her job at minimum. Hopefully she experiences a bit of jail time too.

The article doesn’t say exactly what he was arrested for. 
Polk County Public Schools spokesman Kyle Kennedy insisted the 11-year-old “was arrested after becoming disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions by school staff and law enforcement.”

Obviously that teacher should her job at minimum. Hopefully she experiences a bit of jail time too.
Read a clickbait version of this story from Yahoo and eventually searched the mother's name. From the end of the first article I found:

The Polk County School district told 10News that students aren't required to stand for the pledge, but the substitute didn't know that. The district said it is looking at how substitute teachers are trained, and that particular teacher won't be allowed back in any Polk County school.

Yes it does. 
Not really. The headline does. But the story says he was arrested after he refused to stand- that’s not the same thing- and the school administrator said he was arrested for being disruptive.

Now honestly its hard for me to see what disruption an 11 year old could do that would warrant arrest. But If like to wait and learn a little more. 

Not really. The headline does. But the story says he was arrested after he refused to stand- that’s not the same thing- and the school administrator said he was arrested for being disruptive.

Now honestly its hard for me to see what disruption an 11 year old could do that would warrant arrest. But If like to wait and learn a little more. 
JFC Tim!

Polk County Public Schools spokesman Kyle Kennedy insisted the 11-year-old “was arrested after becoming disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions by school staff and law enforcement.”

It wasn't for what thread title says or what is implied in the url.

The pledge is dumb.
was arrested after becoming disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions by school staff

Sounds like arrested for refusing to stand to me. Awesome we are arresting kids for not listening to teacher. 

was arrested after becoming disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions by school staff

Sounds like arrested for refusing to stand to me. Awesome we are arresting kids for not listening to teacher. 
And law enforcement.  11 year olds should  respect repeated instructions from law enforcement. 

And law enforcement.  11 year olds should  respect repeated instructions from law enforcement. 
Maybe.  I think we all should have learned by now to put the Jump to Conclusions mat back in the closet.  

However at a minimum the teacher shouldn't have made a big deal out of this and there wouldn't be a story. 

The student reportedly told the substitute teacher the flag was racist and the national anthem was offensive to black people. 

Student refused to stand for pledge; arrest report says he called school leaders racists

Hmmm, sounds like this kid reads this forum too much
Lol, yea I’m sure an 11 year old said that.  Source por favor?

The student reportedly told the substitute teacher the flag was racist and the national anthem was offensive to black people. 

Student refused to stand for pledge; arrest report says he called school leaders racists

So you agree he should have been arrested if he said those things? 

So you agree he should have been arrested if he said those things? 
Based on just that, no.  But still much different than not standing for the pledge.  The school should have been able to handle it, but then again schools hands are tied when it comes to disciplining kids these days and I have no idea how disruptive the kind became. 

According to the arrest affidavit, the student was arrested by the school resource officer because he refused to follow multiple commands, repeatedly called school leaders racist and was disruptive. They said he threatened to get the school resource officer and principal fired and to beat the teacher. 

The student, who was with his mother when she was interviewed, told Spectrum Bay News 9 he didn’t threaten to beat the teacher. 

Very interesting dynamic in that story with the perspective of a Cuban immigrant and an African American child.

Teacher seems awful with those comments...kid probably reacted terribly and seems to have said dumb things.  Don’t think anyone handled it great but certainly doesn’t seem worthy of any arrest.

Sounds like the student finally got around to reading the third verse. 

You use to be able to spank a kid.  Now you physically restrain a disruptive kid and there is potential liability. 
Spanking/swatting/paddling are not effective forms of discipline.  They figured this out decades ago. 

And I’d love for you to tell me more about the liability issues when it comes to restraining students.  How many years have you been involved in education again?

Next thing you know this kid will be wearing pig cop socks.

Very interesting dynamic in that story with the perspective of a Cuban immigrant and an African American child.
Not really. The kid comes off as not very bright, the teacher even less so, the police officer even less so. Based on what we know that is. 

So schools don't send kids to the principal's office when they're disruptive anymore?  They just jump to police involvement?  

Not really. The kid comes off as not very bright, the teacher even less so, the police officer even less so. Based on what we know that is. 
As an immigrant the teacher feels one should show respect to the US by standing up and pledging allegiance to the flag.

As a US citizen the African American child feels that the flag is representative of an oppressive country which he should not have to honor. 

You find that to be uninteresting?

As an immigrant the teacher feels one should show respect to the US by standing up and pledging allegiance to the flag.

As a US citizen the African American child feels that the flag is representative of an oppressive country which he should not have to honor. 

Might be interesting but not germane.

Not really. 

She obviously doesn’t know the law nor does she truly understand the essence of American freedom if she believes he should be required to recite the pledge. 

As for the kid, sorry but I don’t believe an 11 year old can possibly have the knowledge, maturity, or personal experience necessary to decide that we live in an oppressive or racist country. Somebody told him; the kid is repeating simplistic propaganda he’s heard from others. 

So no I don’t really find either especially interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread