What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NFL draft report - Buckeyes (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
As a raging OSU homer I figured I'd share what I think about this year's OSU entries.

Dwayne Haskins - stud stud stud.  I'm probably slightly over-reacting to the contrast between him and how horrible JT Barrett was, but this guy can sling it. 
Top strength - lightning fast release.  Again, huge contrast to Barrett, but this guy sees an opening and BAM the ball is gone.
Top weakness - footwork.  He's very inconsistent and gets lazy at times.  His quick release works against him here - he sees an opening and BAM the ball is gone, but many times it didn't need to be gone.  He could have set his feet and gotten better mechanics out of it.
Secondary strength - Accuracy, in particular because of the previously mentioned traits.  When I went back to look at his film it was stunning how many throws he made in a hurry off his back foot, or sidearm, or when he had time to set but didn't - and then they all connect.  It's amazing.  The only reason I don't call it his primary strength is I don't know how it will translate to the NFL.  He had a ton of wide-open WR in that offense and he's not going to get those windows very often at the next level - can he still get it done that way?  If he improves his feet and the throwing mechanics follow there's no limit here. 
Fantasy outlook - elite QB.
Where I'll take him - slightly reaching for QB ADP.  Top 10 in 16 man, mid 2nd in 12 man.  I don't normally draft QB's like that, I typically ride the cheap old QB train, but I'm getting Haskins everywhere.

Mike Weber - flash talent.  He's got enough talent to be a low-end RB1 in fantasy, his challenge will be getting the touches to do it.  He's not an elite talent, and he's not going to stand out from the crowd.  He's a lot like Alfred Morris to me - if you give him 25 carries he'll pay out huge, but he's also the kind of guy, like Morris, that teams are always looking to upgrade.  If he ends up in a cherry spot I'll have a lot of interest, and I'll even take a flier if he ends up in a nice handcuff situation (MIN, if Murray leaves or LAR) - but regardless, I'm moving him the moment he flashes.  Remember Karlos Williams a couple of years ago?  I saw a guy trade two future firsts for him when he showed that flash behind Shady.  That's what I want from Weber - a quick flip opportunity to realize ROI.
Fantasy outlook - flash in the pan RB success.
Where I'll take him - all depends on his landing spot.  No one foresaw Hunt as a top 8 draft pick in April 2017 but by May 5th he was entrenched.  I tend to hunt RB's though so he'll be on a lot of my teams when I miss out on those tier 2 guys like Snell and Sanders that go early.

Paris Campbell - I have the same words here as I did last year - this guy is a thoroughbred with very little route-running prowess.  I don't know how much he'll be able to improve that though, so he's going to have to end up in a situation they are able to use him properly.  We've heard that a lot about a lot of pure athletes and it doesn't happen often.  He's either Tavon Austin or Tyreek Hill (which are actually the same guys that ended up on opposite ends of the use spectrum).  Except he's big.  210, HS RB experience, he runs pretty tough for a WR.  .
Fantasy outlook - complete dart throw with elite potential but bottomless pit of despair downside.
Where I'll take him - I probably won't.  He's not the kind of guy I end up with often, I'm usually hunting RB's or IDP around the time these guys get drafted, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him in a couple of leagues where I have multiple picks

Terry McLaurin - I knew he was a strong route-runner, but with 4 years of Barrett tossing snowballs he didn't really get to make that shine.  What I didn't realize was how fast he was (again, Barrett) but there was talk at the Senior Bowl of him running in the 4.3 neighborhood.  He's a 5th year guy so there will be plenty of concerns about why he stayed so long and why he didn't stand out more and his age, but he never really had a season that would make him look ready for the NFL and we saw how bad Jalin Marshall bombed - that had to scare him.  So why not stay at a factory like OSU and have a ton of fun and win a ton of games and get a couple more pairs of gold pants?
Where I'll take him - one of my favorite deep fliers.  I'll gladly take him in the late 3rd of all leagues.  Guys like him tend to overproduce their ADP.

IDP version of this thread to follow in those forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread