What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much for a lawyer to handle a non-contested divorce (1 Viewer)

NutterButter

Footballguy
The wife and I have been separated for 8 months in NJ.   We're looking to go ahead with the divorce and we were going to do it on our own, but I wanted to get a feel how much it would cost to have someone else handle it.   Everything has already been agreed upon with custody, no alimony, I keep the house (not saying much as we have little equity), child support, etc.  We're both on very good terms.    We just need to go through the process, but there's a crap ton of paperwork.   How much are we looking at in total for the legal fees?   I know there's separate court fees which we pay regardless.   TIA.  

The wife and I have been separated for 8 months in NJ.   We're looking to go ahead with the divorce and we were going to do it on our own, but I wanted to get a feel how much it would cost to have someone else handle it.   Everything has already been agreed upon with custody, no alimony, I keep the house (not saying much as we have little equity), child support, etc.  We're both on very good terms.    We just need to go through the process, but there's a crap ton of paperwork.   How much are we looking at in total for the legal fees?   I know there's separate court fees which we pay regardless.   TIA.  

What area of NJ?

I can ask around

How did you swing that one? Well played.

Most lawyers have a standard divorce agreement template.  You provide the details and they fill it in.  If it's as simple as you say, you are probably looking at 2-4 hours of his/her time.  Multiply that by the hourly rate and you should have a good idea what it will cost.

It's funny you post this. My first wife and I went with something similar about 18 years ago when we divorced. Downloaded the docs from the internet, took them to court, and read them in front of the judge. Was a piece of cake and cost us less than $200 if I recall. 
Maybe its different in your state, but in NJ its like a multiple step process even if its uncontested.    There's a complaint which involves a handful of documents which one side must be file with the court.  Then once you get that back from them, you have to technically serve it to the other side.   Then they have to respond.  Then it finally goes before the judge.   I think I got that right.  

It's seems cheap and simple until its not. You talk to someone, she talks to someone and then all of the sudden that bug in your ear turns into you both getting your own lawyers and costs escalating. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's seems cheap and simple until its not. You talk to someone, she talks to someone and then all of the sudden that bug in your ear turns into you both getting your own lawyers and costs escalating. 
Yeah, I could see that.   We already wrote up a separation agreement using some online template and got that notarized but now we want to finalize it.

What area of NJ?

I can ask around
Morris county.   Thanks.  I don't mind putting the time in if its going to save me a grand, but at the same time I figured I'd ask you fine folks if its actually a lot cheaper than I would suspect.  Considering its lawyers we're talking about I'll probably be going the former route.   

Got divorced 2 years, my ex and I used an arbitrator and costs us $6500 total.  We met with her about 5 times to discuss issues etc, they did all the paperwork and we just show for court appearance.   Start to finish it was 4 months.

Is that just your side or the both of you?  
both.  in PA.

not sure if you have consulted someone privately, but it might be worth getting another opinion.  there were things in my case that i never thought or cared about because everything seemed easy at the time, but circumstances can change later and things can become problems.  do you have a clause about not living more than x number of miles away?

Got divorced 2 years, my ex and I used an arbitrator and costs us $6500 total.  We met with her about 5 times to discuss issues etc, they did all the paperwork and we just show for court appearance.   Start to finish it was 4 months.
Did you have to work through issues?   I know it sounds hard to believe but we're two very reasonable people that have a very friendly relationship so everything has been worked out.  Provided the judge is fine with what we've decided, everything just seems like a formality.   

Forgot to mention that once all the paperwork was done, we each hired a lawyer to review and advise of deal was fair.  That cost $400.  

Forgot to mention that once all the paperwork was done, we each hired a lawyer to review and advise of deal was fair.  That cost $400.  
You mean you each found a lawyer who didn't drum up a bunch of issues to be resolved?  Impressive!  

• Sad
Reactions: Zow
Did you have to work through issues?   I know it sounds hard to believe but we're two very reasonable people that have a very friendly relationship so everything has been worked out.  Provided the judge is fine with what we've decided, everything just seems like a formality.   
Yes but nothing major.  Both kids were over 18 and she gave me house, kids with me and all the pets.  For that privilege I gave her 100k more in assets which was mostly her pension. As long you are both reasonable go with one of the cheaper routes.  The judge doesn’t care what’s in the papers.  Arbitrators are lawyers but are suppose to act unbiased. 

both.  in PA.

not sure if you have consulted someone privately, but it might be worth getting another opinion.  there were things in my case that i never thought or cared about because everything seemed easy at the time, but circumstances can change later and things can become problems.  do you have a clause about not living more than x number of miles away?
Haven't consulted anyone privately.   I don't have that clause, but that's a good one.   I'll make sure that gets added.   Its not really that big of a deal since even if that did happen, I'd likely just move as well.  Still nice to have that restriction in place.   

You mean you each found a lawyer who didn't drum up a bunch of issues to be resolved?  Impressive!  
Yes they just reviewed deal and advise if any major issues.  The only change was her lawyer told to get more liquid assets so she had to transfer money from her 401k to me to make with difference. 

Haven't consulted anyone privately.   I don't have that clause, but that's a good one.   I'll make sure that gets added.   Its not really that big of a deal since even if that did happen, I'd likely just move as well.  Still nice to have that restriction in place.   
yeah, it's just good to have these things in place now before they come up in the heat of the moment.  it doesn't mean that everything has to be 100% bound by it in the end, but it lets you have the control later.

and that's how it all starts downhill. You add that clause, she doesn't like it so she adds a clause and then next thing you know, you're in court with lawyers fighting it out. I've seen quite a few divorces for less than $300 but children and property were never involved. Those were always no fault, you take what you came in with and she takes hers type divorces.

and that's how it all starts downhill. You add that clause, she doesn't like it so she adds a clause and then next thing you know, you're in court with lawyers fighting it out. I've seen quite a few divorces for less than $300 but children and property were never involved. Those were always no fault, you take what you came in with and she takes hers type divorces.
Believe I hear what you're saying but she'd definitely be cool with something like that.   Not saying there wouldn't be other things that could set her off, but not that.  This whole process has been really smooth over the last 8 months since she's moved out.   We're pretty much at that no fault state and since there's little value in our home and she makes more than me as is and I've already agreed to pay even a little more for child support than those calculators suggest, there's not much to fight about.   I could probably get a little alimony from her, but not worth the headache.   We both have good lives apart and we're very supportive of each others future well being.  It just wasn't a good match.   Such is life sometimes.   

Whatever you do, keep her from getting her own attorney.  A mediator is fine for the both of you, but as soon as her personal attorney hears what she's agreeing to, everything changes. 

Sincerely,

Bitter divorcee who also thought their ex was reasonable.  

She makes more than me.   I guess I could collect alimony from her?  Is that how it works?
If there is a big difference in income, and the marriage was long, it might be worth looking into the way alimony works in NJ. On the psychological side, long-term alimony could make your relationship worse.

If there is a big difference in income, and the marriage was long, it might be worth looking into the way alimony works in NJ. On the psychological side, long-term alimony could make your relationship worse.
The peace in the continued child raising partnership is far more important then some extra money that I really don't need to be happy.   Besides that, as I head back out into the dating scene,  my wife has been very accommodating to schedule changes as I would be towards her requests so I don't want to jeopardize that cooperation.   

Yes I do this kind of work specifically.  Generally speaking the basic points of your understanding aren't wrong.  The court rules for 2019 are easing up non-contested matters and they are supposed to be streamlined considerably, county by county results varying.  Morris County sucks to practice in.  The numbers that have floated around here aren't wrong for the most part.

Keeping the house, if economically feasible, was a good move. It should save you time, money long term and may help the child(ren) adjust. 

I practice divorce in that area of NJ - feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to walk you through it.  

$1500 for mediation. $4k total for both our attorneys. I pay a little alimony because I got tired of paying for the attorneys. Shared custody. 

Good attorneys give you good advice based on their professional experience. Stuff you never thought about but you need a contingency plan for if or when it happens. You have no idea what your relationship with your ex wife will be once you end things. A good divorce agreement gives you both boundaries and guidance. Don't be cheap here because going to court again is both foolish and expensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread