What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Devy Drafts Thread *** (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
PPR 14 team Dynasty / Devy League.  We have a separate draft for the Devy and regular NFL rookie draft.

Devys already on teams - Cam Akers, Trey Sermon, Demetris Robertson, Terrace Marshall,  Justin Shorter, NaJee Harris,  DeAndre Swift,  Bryan Edwards,  J K Dobbins, Jonathan Taylor, Donovan Peoples-Jones

1.01 - Travis Etienne RB Clemson

1.02 - Justyn Ross WR Clemson

1.03 -  Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson (me)

1.04 - Rondale Moore WR Purdue

1.05 -  Laviska Shenault WR Colorado

1.06 - Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama

1.07 -  Eno Benjamin RB Arizona State

1.08 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR  USC

1.09 - Tee Higgins WR Clemson

1.10 -  Cee Dee Lamb WR Oklahoma

1.11 - Trey Sanders RB Alabama

1.12 - Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota

1.13 - Jalen Reagor WR TCU

1.14 - John Emery Jr RB LSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Already love your pick
My strategy was this:

I already made the mistake of trading Mahomes for Harmon before the season, even though I love Harmon, and I had DeShaun Watson as my QB1 at that time.  I know, big mistake.  My other QB is Lamar Jackson.  I tried to move up to 1.02 so I would get either Travis Etienne or Trevor Lawrence, but was unsuccessful.  I was definitely afraid someone would move up to either 1.01 or 1.02 and take Lawrence but that didn't happen.  The guy at 1.02 took Ross, who in a worst case scenario I would have taken at 1.3.

ETA:  I'm usually the last person to take a QB in a dynasty / devy draft (only 1 round) but I feel Lawrence is a once in a generation QB and no worse than Andrew Luck, and probably better.

My strategy was this:

I already made the mistake of trading Mahomes for Harmon before the season, even though I love Harmon, and I had DeShaun Watson as my QB1 at that time.  I know, big mistake.  My other QB is Lamar Jackson.  I tried to move up to 1.02 so I would get either Travis Etienne or Trevor Lawrence, but was unsuccessful.  I was definitely afraid someone would move up to either 1.01 or 1.02 and take Lawrence but that didn't happen.  The guy at 1.02 took Ross, who in a worst case scenario I would have taken at 1.3.

ETA:  I'm usually the last person to take a QB in a dynasty / devy draft (only 1 round) but I feel Lawrence is a once in a generation QB and no worse than Andrew Luck, and probably better.
I agree with that thinking and that is why I loved the pick. 

Seems super risky and unnecessary regardless of how highly touted a QB is today. 

Unless this is a superflex league, you’ll be able to get a solid QB for pennies on the dollar. I would rather spend my high pick on a RB or WR 100% of the time 

Seems super risky and unnecessary regardless of how highly touted a QB is today. 

Unless this is a superflex league, you’ll be able to get a solid QB for pennies on the dollar. I would rather spend my high pick on a RB or WR 100% of the time 
Obviously this isn't the way I look at it.  I have the 1.03, 1.04, 1.05 in the rookie draft and was a QB short, so why not take a once in a generation QB in the one round devy draft with only 1 pick?  Especially after I traded Mahomes for Harmon before last season.  You said take a RB or WR 100% of the time, well, the choices were WRs Rondale Moore, Amon -RA St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Collin Johnson, RBs Jermer Jefferson, Stephen Carr, Lorenzo Lingard, and Pooka Willaims just to name a few.

Still feel the same way?

I don't think you can compare those choices with Trevor Lawrence.  It's not even in the same stratosphere. 

I would absolutely take Shenault, Moore, Jeudy, Eno, and maybe Higgins and St. Brown over Lawrence. Love him as a prospect but he's a QB. Imo it's an inefficient pick even if you're right about him and he is a top 10 QB immediately, and a top 5 QB after some seasoning. The value just isn't there. 

You said it yourself--we didn't know how good Mahomes was obviously, but you had a top 10 pick with a rocket arm about to inherit a starting spot in a Reid offense with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, and you were able to flip him for...a devy prospect worse than some of the ones I listed above imo. If Lawrence doesn't light it up early on and live up to the hype, how much more will he really be worth? He's a QB. Even in a 14 teamer, the value is probably not there. 

You've laid out your reasoning well though and I'm not trying to further argue it, it's just a difference in team building philosophies, and I felt compelled to share mine. You could very well end up right in this scenario but I still believe that my process is more likely to max out the value of that roster spot, short term and long term. And for me, I'm all about value so that I can trade for the production I want instead of hoping for it. 

Appreciate you posting this thread. I've already had two devy drafts this offseason and if there's interest in this becoming a more general devy draft thread, I'll post them. 

I like Lawrence but 3 is high in a 1 QB league. Would have traded down if taking a QB, especially with guys like Tua, Hebert and Fromm eligible to come out next year and Fields joining Lawrence in 2021.

I like Lawrence but 3 is high in a 1 QB league. Would have traded down if taking a QB, especially with guys like Tua, Hebert and Fromm eligible to come out next year and Fields joining Lawrence in 2021.
Perhaps, but it's not a big deal IMO because I think he's head and shoulders better than what's on the board after 1.3 in this particular league.  Moving down doesn't guarantee that I would still get Lawrence.

I would absolutely take Shenault, Moore, Jeudy, Eno, and maybe Higgins and St. Brown over Lawrence. Love him as a prospect but he's a QB. Imo it's an inefficient pick even if you're right about him and he is a top 10 QB immediately, and a top 5 QB after some seasoning. The value just isn't there. 

You said it yourself--we didn't know how good Mahomes was obviously, but you had a top 10 pick with a rocket arm about to inherit a starting spot in a Reid offense with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, and you were able to flip him for...a devy prospect worse than some of the ones I listed above imo. If Lawrence doesn't light it up early on and live up to the hype, how much more will he really be worth? He's a QB. Even in a 14 teamer, the value is probably not there. 

You've laid out your reasoning well though and I'm not trying to further argue it, it's just a difference in team building philosophies, and I felt compelled to share mine. You could very well end up right in this scenario but I still believe that my process is more likely to max out the value of that roster spot, short term and long term. And for me, I'm all about value so that I can trade for the production I want instead of hoping for it. 

Appreciate you posting this thread. I've already had two devy drafts this offseason and if there's interest in this becoming a more general devy draft thread, I'll post them. 
I agree with you about taking a QB high is the wrong move MOST of the time, but not this year.  I really feel Lawrence is another Andrew Luck or better.  Those guys you listed are more likely to bust than Lawrence IMO.  I'm the one preaching on this board about not taking a QB high in most dynasty leagues unless there is a once in a generation QB available.  In this league where we separate the devy draft from the rookie draft and considering what was available to pick, I thought it was the best move this year.

I would have Lawrence about 1.6 in this draft.  If he turns out to be A. Luck you won't be disappointed in this pick.  As others have pointed out you probably could have dropped a few spots and got him later in the draft, but it's your draft.  Good Luck.

I think Higgins should have been taken much higher. I would have been frantically trying to trade into an earlier spot (or back into the draft) to grab him. 
He was part of the reason Lawrence was so good.  I look forward to watching him play next year.

I don't want to hijack your thread, @JohnnyU. Are you interested in making this the off-season's completed devy draft repository? Or should we start another thread? I've got a couple drafts to post for people, I know there isn't usually a lot of devy data out there so it can be helpful. 

I don't want to hijack your thread, @JohnnyU. Are you interested in making this the off-season's completed devy draft repository? Or should we start another thread? I've got a couple drafts to post for people, I know there isn't usually a lot of devy data out there so it can be helpful. 
After this draft is over I could rename it to something else.  Just let me know what to change it to.

I'm the owner who had the 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 picks in this draft. I traded out of the 8, 9, 10 picks and acquired back #12.

No chance I would take a QB in this format in the top of a devy draft. The 2 years of wait time and return on investment for a player that has to be top 5 to return the cost is just too great. Having the picks right after #3, I was quite happy to see more value fall to me. Lawrence was on my big list of players for the 10th pick, but was likely going to pass anyway.

For context, Russell Wilson + Josh Reynolds just got traded for Tyler Lockett + 14th devy pick + Bortles. 

Wilson is a top 6-8 dynasty QB and that's all he could fetch in compensation.

I'm the owner who had the 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 picks in this draft. I traded out of the 8, 9, 10 picks and acquired back #12.

No chance I would take a QB in this format in the top of a devy draft. The 2 years of wait time and return on investment for a player that has to be top 5 to return the cost is just too great. Having the picks right after #3, I was quite happy to see more value fall to me. Lawrence was on my big list of players for the 10th pick, but was likely going to pass anyway.

For context, Russell Wilson + Josh Reynolds just got traded for Tyler Lockett + 14th devy pick + Bortles. 

Wilson is a top 6-8 dynasty QB and that's all he could fetch in compensation.
I drafted one of the two best players in the draft and had only 1 pick, not 8 of the first 10 picks you had.

JohnnyU said:
I drafted one of the two best players in the draft and had only 1 pick, not 8 of the first 10 picks you had.
You should feel confident with your pick, it's why you made it. But myself, many others in the league, and others in this thread disagree.

I had a top tier of 6 players and was able to draft 5 of them. You're happy and i'm happy. Sounds like we just made the trade most try to accomplish.

You should feel confident with your pick, it's why you made it. But myself, many others in the league, and others in this thread disagree.

I had a top tier of 6 players and was able to draft 5 of them. You're happy and i'm happy. Sounds like we just made the trade most try to accomplish.
Some agree with me, some do not and that's OK.  I didn't make this thread to zero in on my pick.

Users who are viewing this thread