What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was your favorite subject in high school? (1 Viewer)

Standing Hampton

Footballguy
I teach world and US history and am a true history buff.  Wasn't really my first choice in high school but I did like my junior year world history class.  The first subject that truly peaked my interest was when we talked about the Nuremberg Trials.  That was 37 years ago.  My spark really ignited when I was in the navy and was able to see historical pieces in person, and I lived through some history too, see USS Stark.  

I do worry that history will become an online exclusive class eventually.  

Math.  Numbers make sense, everything can be proven, logic can be understood, it's just a finite world that makes sense to me.  Science was a close second, if it wasn't for two years of biology I'd probably put it first.  Loved Chemistry and Physics, didn't like biology as much

History as well although I generally liked every class as long as the teacher was decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
History.  Loved the stories and I had fantastic history teachers.  I absolutely hated math.

I ended up with business and engineering degrees.  Go figure.  I guess studying history ended up making me a pragmatist.

Science Fiction Lit. One of several electives once the basic classes were completed. 2nd favorite was film lit. Watch a movie over 4 days and take a test on Friday.

Definitely history.  I had/have a lifelong passion for it -- I knew all of the President back when I was in first grade.  My wife and I now host a nerdy Presidents' Day party every year, complete with a trivia contest, Presidential decorations and themed food/drink.  

U.S. History by a good margin. Though I did love Civics as well, had a great teacher - still say in touch with him. Drama & Forensics (Speech) were amazing. Math & science were awesome, too. Never enjoyed language classes (English or Spanish) though I love to read.

In college I majored in accounting but my favorite classes were humanities.

another for History/Social Studies

my favorite out of those 4 years was Russian history 2nd semester of senior year

Math and Science classes were my favorite.

I hated History - probably mostly because I didn't have the greatest teachers, but I still find it pretty boring.

I had much better English teachers, so that ended up somewhere in between.

Gym, which unfortunately was only 9th and 10th grade. I hated school and wasn't interested in any classes. I wasn't a good student. That continued into my first two years of college. Then I took intermediate micro-economics with a really good professor. It grabbed my attention and it made sense to me, so I declared it as my major and all of a sudden started getting good grades.

Chasing skirts and figuring out who was buying us booze that night were always my favorite subjects. Oh and German I & II.

Advanced weight lifting.  Was the first class of the day my senior year, and since I obviously didn't shower before working out, so I could sleep in pretty late, stroll into class just before the bell, and clean up at school.  

2nd favorite was physics, because I'm a nerd. 

Gym.

Not sure what my favorite actual class was.  It depending more on the teacher than the subject.  I had some good history/civics teachers, some good english teachers, and some good science teacher.  Had a high school genetics class as an elective, and that was pretty sweet, but mostly because a lot of friends were in that class and the teacher, while old by our standards, was laid back and cool.

Advanced weight lifting.  Was the first class of the day my senior year, and since I obviously didn't shower before working out, so I could sleep in pretty late, stroll into class just before the bell, and clean up at school.  

2nd favorite was physics, because I'm a nerd. 
Two questions?

- why is it obvious that you didn't shower before going to school?  

- were you a 2-yr letterman on the Punching Team?

Two questions?

- why is it obvious that you didn't shower before going to school?  

What high school boy is going to shower before going to the gym first thing in the morning when he can sleep in instead?

-were you a 2-yr letterman on the Punching Team?

?? You implying I'm a sissy or something? I was actually really athletic back in the day. Now I'm fatter than woz and Otis :(
Answers above. 

History/Social Studies

My senior year Government (1st semester) teacher was also my Social History of Modern America [SHMA] (2nd semester) teacher.  One of the true Moderates I've ever been around.  Lots of JFK/Vietnam/Civil Rights Movement/Music/Movies from '60-'85ish in SHMA.  Best class ever.  Music, hot chicks, and reenacting SNL skits from the weekend featuring Paul Tsongas, Clinton, Perot, and Bush 1 - I graduated in '92.

math and i was good at it and i just never did a damn thing with it and to this day and to my dying day it will be one of my biggest regrets take that to the bank brohans 

The curly haired blonde with a last name that alphabetically sequenced with mine beautifully. 

History. Westward expansion in the US is particularly fascinating to me.

I also always loved astronomy and likely would have chosen that as my career field of choice, but I quickly realized that wasn't going to be an option for me once I started badly struggling with anything math-based around middle school.

William Tennent High School, circa 1980.  I spent a lot of time in the Smoking Alley.  Marlboros, dope, and Tastykake!
Awwww, man -  :heart:  me some Tastykakes. Them butterscotch squiggly twinkies and li'l pumpkin pies in the fall. Ever hear Pete Barbuti's Tastykake story?

Somewhere in the Salem Evening News archives there's a picture story of me lobbying the school board for a smoking area.

Not familiar.  The faux eclairs were my go-to. 
Tried googling - some attempts @ re-tellings but no clips. Here goes:

In the 60s-70s there were two daytime variety/talk shows - Merv Griffin & Mike Douglas. Each of their bands had a musician - Merv's trumpet player, Jack Sheldon and Mike's horn guy, Pete Barbutti - in it who was so good @ cracking up the band that the hosts let em do standup and they each ended up making a career from it. 

Pete was from Philly but had moved to Vegas and his kids missed Tastykakes soooo much that, if he had a date where they were sold, he'd bring an empty suitcase and fill it up with his kids' favorites. He was playing NYC, so he flew into Newark and filled a suitcase in Jersey. His agent called him and said he had a date for him in Toronto, so Pete flew there before returning home.

Thing was, he had to go thru Customs and Pete was a guy who, in 1970 or whatever, looked like someone who might smuggle drugs across the border. So, when officials opened a suitcase to find it contained nothing but Tastykakes, they were sure they'd caught a smuggler. There was no contraband in his other luggage, so they returned to the TKs suitcase and tore open a dozen packages to see if they contained controlled substances. Some packs went unmolested, so at least his kids could have them....

Pete did his Toronto gig and flew home to Vegas. Thing is...............Customs again. When they opened a suitcase to find it full of opened AND unopened Tastykakes, there were sure they had their man with a clever ruse and promptly busted opened the other half of the packages......

There you go. Not as good as live, esp since its been almost 50 yrs since i heard it, but that's it. Tastykake love is a proud badge long worn.

Tried googling - some attempts @ re-tellings but no clips. Here goes:

In the 60s-70s there were two daytime variety/talk shows - Merv Griffin & Mike Douglas. Each of their bands had a musician - Merv's trumpet player, Jack Sheldon and Mike's horn guy, Pete Barbutti - in it who was so good @ cracking up the band that the hosts let em do standup and they each ended up making a career from it. 

Pete was from Philly but had moved to Vegas and his kids missed Tastykakes soooo much that, if he had a date where they were sold, he'd bring an empty suitcase and fill it up with his kids' favorites. He was playing NYC, so he flew into Newark and filled a suitcase in Jersey. His agent called him and said he had a date for him in Toronto, so Pete flew there before returning home.

Thing was, he had to go thru Customs and Pete was a guy who, in 1970 or whatever, looked like someone who might smuggle drugs across the border. So, when officials opened a suitcase to find it contained nothing but Tastykakes, they were sure they'd caught a smuggler. There was no contraband in his other luggage, so they returned to the TKs suitcase and tore open a dozen packages to see if they contained controlled substances. Some packs went unmolested, so at least his kids could have them....

Pete did his Toronto gig and flew home to Vegas. Thing is...............Customs again. When they opened a suitcase to find it full of opened AND unopened Tastykakes, there were sure they had their man with a clever ruse and promptly busted opened the other half of the packages......

There you go. Not as good as live, esp since its been almost 50 yrs since i heard it, but that's it. Tastykake love is a proud badge long worn.
Good thing he wasn't a Coors connoisseur.

BTW, is Dinah Shore not worthy of a mention?  Honestly, I don't know. My early 70s TV watching is a blur.

Geometry, Calculus, and Physics - had great teachers that helped make it click.

Photography - playing grab ### in the dark room was an added bonus.

Chemistry. 

True story: I answered an equilibrium problem with my phone number, and the phone number of the hottest chick in my class.  It was graded as CORRECT.

Took that girl to Homecoming and did bad things to her.  :thumbup:

Calculus and US History were my other favorites.  Did not like English comp, literature, or how to smoke crack class. 

Users who are viewing this thread