Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Standing Hampton

What was your favorite subject in high school?

Calculus and US History were my other favorites.  Did not like English comp, literature, or how to smoke crack class. 

Was wondering if many, or any, of you have let those teachers know that you appreciated their class?  Teachers don’t get many perks but knowing they influenced their students in a positive way is one of them.

Algebra.

Ms. CrapIForgetHerName always wore a button down shirt and always seemed to stop one button short not distracting every boy in class. Was a great view every day and definitely had a couple of nice variables to solve for. 

3 hours ago, Quincy said:

Was wondering if many, or any, of you have let those teachers know that you appreciated their class?  Teachers don’t get many perks but knowing they influenced their students in a positive way is one of them.

I can second this in terms of making a teacher's day. The times I've had alumni tell me they appreciated me as a teacher are special moments. 

That said, I have to disagree with the perks comment. I'm contracted to work about 182 days a year. That's 50% of the days in a year or about 16 weeks of vacation for the normal working stiff. Further, my salary used to be embarrassing, but that's changed in recent years. I'm making around $100K now. Yeah, I'm at the end of the pay scale, but I'm thrilled with my salary for what I do. 

Edited by Hooper31
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:02 AM, Hooper31 said:

NobodyLikesMath (c) 

:goodposting:

:obc: sends love

14 hours ago, Hooper31 said:

That said, I have to disagree with the perks comment. I'm contracted to work about 182 days a year. That's 50% of the days in a year or about 16 weeks of vacation for the normal working stiff. Further, my salary used to be embarrassing, but that's changed in recent years. I'm making around $100K now. Yeah, I'm at the end of the pay scale, but I'm thrilled with my salary for what I do. 

In a fate of irony befitting my offspring, my oldest is a teacher now and almost through her first year. Her two biggest complaints are the money and her class :lmao: According to her peers, she has the roughest class in 2nd grade. Had a kid come at her and get suspended for almost nailing another kid with a lunchbox. 2nd grade...so cool.

PE!

Then anything science related. I was too cool for school and essentially never did busy work homework, so I set the top of the curve for the Chemistry final across 4 or so classes, and then failed the class because I did not do enough crosswords or whatever we did when the teacher had a hangover. 

History, Civics, Economics, English. 

Any history classes and AVC(Americanism VS Communism).  AVC was a required course in Florida in the 70s.

18 hours ago, Hooper31 said:

I can second this in terms of making a teacher's day. The times I've had alumni tell me they appreciated me as a teacher are special moments. 

So I'm guessing you don't coach.  If you did your days would look like this.  Get to school at 7:00 to plan for the day.  School starts at 8:25.  My planning periods are usually a meeting or planning for the next day, grading papers, etc.  After school practice at 4:00 until 6:30.  Game days can get over anywhere from 7:00 to 10:00 and then I get home.  During the fall with football we watch film with the boys at 8:00am, after getting home anywhere from 11:00 to 1:30 on a Friday night.  On Sunday we game plan from noon until between 4 and 6pm.

Summers- workouts 4 days a week from 6:45AM until noon.  If we are having a passing league game then we go until 2:00.

The week before school starts we have 2 a day practices.

I'm in the middle of baseball right now and we can play anywhere from 3 - 6 games in a week.

So, all that being said.  I don't have time to travel, I don't play video games, fantasy football, drink or have time to go out to movies, I don't watch realty television, gamble.  Sometimes I really question what most of you do for a living with all the time you have.  I also question why I'm on here at all because of the time I don't have.  Epiphany!!

All of this for an extra 10K/year.  I don't do it for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free.

So, perks are nice.

Edited by Standing Hampton

40 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Any history classes and AVC(Americanism VS Communism).  AVC was a required course in Florida in the 70s.

Ours was called "Communism vs Democracy," somewhere around 1966. It was basically a current events course.

I liked history and English lit, too.

6 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Ours was called "Communism vs Democracy," somewhere around 1966. It was basically a current events course.

I liked history and English lit, too.

I really enjoyed AVC we had an excellent teacher which made all the difference.  He delved deeply into the history of communism.  Also the required reading was excellent Animal Farm, 1984,  and I think Alas Babylon.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, SWC said:

math and i was good at it and i just never did a damn thing with it and to this day and to my dying day it will be one of my biggest regrets take that to the bank brohans 

Ya, coulda/shoulda been a banker.

• Love 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Dan Lambskin said:

Chemistry 

Same here Chemistry and Physics were my favorite (Biology not so much).