What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Kraft (yes, THAT Robert Kraft) charged with soliciting prostitution (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
USA Today with an article.

It includes one big point. Answering the question of "what's next for these women if they stop doing this?

It's an important question. From the article:

Opened in February 2018, Sanctum House became the first human trafficking shelter of its kind in southeastern Michigan.

Survivors who come to live there enter a two-year program that includes drug and alcohol rehabilitation as well as education, counseling, job training and support.

Speaking with the Detroit Free Press, founder Edee Franklin described human trafficking as a snare of tiny strings that pulls victims back again and again. 

One by one, she's trying to snip those strings to free women who want to get out, but have yet to find a way because they don't have a safe place to live or are without access to drug or alcohol rehab, financial security, job training or an education. 

"There are women out there right now that are being raped and brutalized and they are saying, 'Dear God, get me out of this.' And there’s a place for them. They just don’t know it yet," Franklin said in December 2017. 

"Somebody is going to say to them – whether it’s at the jail or the ER or the judge – somebody is going to say: 'Well, you can go to a three-night shelter or you can go to jail or you can go to a detox for three weeks. You can go back to your pimp, you can go to the streets or to your abusive family or you can go to Sanctum House if you would like to change your life."

Tampa is full of these establishments, but many have been shut down over time.  Unfortunately they open elsewhere. 

What Kraft was supporting:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/indian-river-county/2019/02/21/human-trafficking-florida-massage-parlors-vero-beach-sebastian/2920354002/

"These girls are there all day long, into the evening. They can't leave and they're performing sex acts," Currey said. "Some of them may tell us they're OK, but they're not. We know that… even though we may have charges on some of them, we'd rather them be victims."

Detectives watched the Orlando couple transport multiple women with suitcases to and from the spa, "for the purpose of sexual servitude," according to her arrest warrant.

Police said victims, identified in court records as Jane Does, lived inside the spas and worked as prostitutes. Some stayed for days, others for months.

None were allowed to leave on their own. They did not have their own vehicles and generally spoke Mandarin or Cantonese, not English.

Currey said many came from China on temporary work visas, indebted to the the brokers who helped them reach America, but believing legitimate jobs awaited them.

"Some of them are trying to make a better life for themselves," he said. "These people truly are stuck."

They were shamed, intimidated and taught not to speak to law enforcement or immigration officials.

Others answered what they thought were legitimate ads for masseuse jobs, but soon were pressured into doing more.

In December and January, deputies stopped men as they exited the spa after paying for sex acts.

"These 'johns,' either knowingly or unknowingly, were certainly supplying the funds to perpetuate human trafficking," Sheriff Deryl Loar said.

And just to get us all ready for what we know is inevitably coming down the road:

https://sports.yahoo.com/robert-kraft-story-no-laughing-202155631.html

Then Kraft will probably accept his inevitable suspension from the NFL while still trying to convince the public that, while he made a mistake, it does not define him. This will likely include a statement about not being “perfect” and apologizing to “anybody who was disappointed” and “working hard to earn back your trust.” He will say whatever he has to say, and pay a sizable fine or make a big donation, as long as the NFL lets him keep the Patriots.

Elizabeth Nolan Brown, who covers sex work for Reason magazine, is skeptical about claims of sex slavery and traces similar claims from the police that have happened recently.  To her, it sounds like an ordinary prostitution sting gussied up in speculation about horribleness.  

http://reason.com/blog/2019/02/22/robert-krafts-prostitution-arrest-is-par
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether there were federales involved, because if they were then that usually indicates something bigger and across state or international lines. I was under the impression they were because the sheriff referred to the bust being multi-agency.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether there were federales involved, because if they were then that usually indicates something bigger and across state or international lines. I was under the impression they were because the sheriff referred to the bust being multi-agency.
Yeah, there's no doubt that the official word doesn't sound good, and your point is taken. 

I was just posting Elizabeth Nolan Brown because Reason has a pretty good track record of sussing out overcharging and false claims. She's been on the sex work beat for about five years and her initial presumption deserves consideration, IMHO. 

But that's all anyone has right now -- an initial presumption. It could turn out that this is part of a massive slavery/trafficking ring, which would be abhorrent.  

My own personal thoughts on the politics/desired policy towards prostitution is confused at best, so I was just adding a skeptic's voice to the thread rather than making a point or excuse for certain behaviors by certain parties.   

These massage places are everywhere. Maybe the idea was to make a bust with big names involved to act as a deterrent for the rest of the country. 

What’s new is the use of cameras. I know that cops routinely make the rounds looking to bust parlors known for illicit activity. But never heard of them planting cameras. Almost seems unconstitutional. What about all of the people on tape getting undressed (men and women go to these massage places and extra services are the exception at the majority) and getting viewed on tape by a room full of officers while they look for the Kraft types?

25 men over 6 months? So how many were taped naked where nothing happened? So cameras in changing rooms ok too to stop potential theft?

What’s new is the use of cameras. I know that cops routinely make the rounds looking to bust parlors known for illicit activity. But never heard of them planting cameras. Almost seems unconstitutional. What about all of the people on tape getting undressed (men and women go to these massage places and extra services are the exception at the majority) and getting viewed on tape by a room full of officers while they look for the Kraft types?

25 men over 6 months? So how many were taped naked where nothing happened? So cameras in changing rooms ok too to stop potential theft?
The warrant for the camera's was procured through the Florida court system after they were able to show enough proof that they were required to continue to build the case.  The camera's were installed in January of this year so it was not a 6 month video surveillance from what I understand.

These massage places are everywhere. Maybe the idea was to make a bust with big names involved to act as a deterrent for the rest of the country. 
Headlining one incident can deter things down the line. Right now there are guys not going to such places because they dont want to be part of the next story.

No schtick here.  How can you tell the difference between a legit asian massage parlor and one offering sex services?   It seems like there is one in every strip mall on the east coast.  They can't all be in there running prostitution, right?

No schtick here.  How can you tell the difference between a legit asian massage parlor and one offering sex services?   It seems like there is one in every strip mall on the east coast.  They can't all be in there running prostitution, right?
I think most people use the internet to find them.  I have seen forums before that have reviews on the establishment/ladies as well a prices for certain activities.  There used to be a poster on :e: who had a long thread about it.

Ask for a licensed massage therapist.  That’s the most likely way to avoid the illegitimate places. 

If you’re seeing a “body worker” or going to a massage “parlor” or where they do “table showers” you’re much more likely to be in a place of ill repute. 

Ask for a licensed massage therapist.  That’s the most likely way to avoid the illegitimate places. 

If you’re seeing a “body worker” or going to a massage “parlor” or where they do “table showers” you’re much more likely to be in a place of ill repute. 
Also those places that place ads in the back of local free magazines.

Maybe look at the local health food or new age type mags instead.

There are at least three lawyers on this board who have worked on cases involving human trafficking and/or forced prostitution.�
Do you feel that all of these Asian massage parlors, or at least most of them, are involved in either human trafficking or underage girls?

There was one near a neighborhood I used to live in. The wife and I would make jokes about the place looking like the kind of place you could get a handy at. One day I decide to google the name of the place and it was listed on some kind of website that specialized in these types of services. It was complete with user reviewes etc... and this place was in fact one of “those” places. I’m guessing this is how the majority of the transactions begin. 

I just finished a glorious 90 minute massage. Deep tissue, walk on back etc. I get the same therapist averaging every 2 weeks for last 5+ years. All of the therapists are Chinese. All are licensed. Tough laws in this city re that but we had a window where there was no limitation re # of massage businesses. So we must have 40 in town. Way too many. 

FYI - I’ve never seen anyone even close to under age in these places. If anything they tend to be on the older side. 

And just to get us all ready for what we know is inevitably coming down the road:

https://sports.yahoo.com/robert-kraft-story-no-laughing-202155631.html

Then Kraft will probably accept his inevitable suspension from the NFL while still trying to convince the public that, while he made a mistake, it does not define him. This will likely include a statement about not being “perfect” and apologizing to “anybody who was disappointed” and “working hard to earn back your trust.” He will say whatever he has to say, and pay a sizable fine or make a big donation, as long as the NFL lets him keep the Patriots.
oh please.  his son will take over as 'owner' and nothing substantial will happen to him at all.

What Kraft was supporting:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/indian-river-county/2019/02/21/human-trafficking-florida-massage-parlors-vero-beach-sebastian/2920354002/

"These girls are there all day long, into the evening. They can't leave and they're performing sex acts," Currey said. "Some of them may tell us they're OK, but they're not. We know that… even though we may have charges on some of them, we'd rather them be victims."

Detectives watched the Orlando couple transport multiple women with suitcases to and from the spa, "for the purpose of sexual servitude," according to her arrest warrant.

Police said victims, identified in court records as Jane Does, lived inside the spas and worked as prostitutes. Some stayed for days, others for months.

None were allowed to leave on their own. They did not have their own vehicles and generally spoke Mandarin or Cantonese, not English.

Currey said many came from China on temporary work visas, indebted to the the brokers who helped them reach America, but believing legitimate jobs awaited them.

"Some of them are trying to make a better life for themselves," he said. "These people truly are stuck."

They were shamed, intimidated and taught not to speak to law enforcement or immigration officials.

Others answered what they thought were legitimate ads for masseuse jobs, but soon were pressured into doing more.

In December and January, deputies stopped men as they exited the spa after paying for sex acts.

"These 'johns,' either knowingly or unknowingly, were certainly supplying the funds to perpetuate human trafficking," Sheriff Deryl Loar said.
Where do we list the players/owners/executives who visit gentlemen clubs?

Do we start suspending players or taking draft picks away for these people that support this industry?

I mean, what these people support when they frequent these establishments is possibly on par or worse then the $79 parlors.

Unless Kraft was knowingly having relations with an underage boy/girl i think this will blow over rather quickly.  March madness is upon us, after all.

Kraft will just be the butt of many jokes. Maybe a minor legal fine will be paid and Goodell will probably feel pressure to take some action and levy some punishment for the sake of apperances.

Rinse/repeat and onto the next shinny object that catches out attention for 15min.

Where do we list the players/owners/executives who visit gentlemen clubs?

Do we start suspending players or taking draft picks away for these people that support this industry?

I mean, what these people support when they frequent these establishments is possibly on par or worse then the $79 parlors.
Perhaps. But if it does turn out that these women were living at the parlor, not allowed to leave, and not being paid (except to work off debt), then it’s a whole different ball game, IMO.

But to answer your question, if players are convicted of soliciting prostitution in a gentlemen’s club, I believe there should be repercussions.

Questions for all of the high and mighty in here...

Have you ever bought drugs (weed, coke, whatever) illegally? Then you are in support of and complicit with the murder of innocents by drug cartels.

Ever placed a sports wager with a bookie? Then you must be an enthusiastic supporter all of the bad things the mafia/organized crime does in society.

That's pretty much the leap you're all making.

Ramblin Wreck said:
That's a fair question. I don't know what percentage are legit /non-prostitution type places.

Have you ever bought drugs (weed, coke, whatever) illegally? Then you are in support of and complicit with the murder of innocents by drug cartels.

Ever placed a sports wager with a bookie? Then you must be an enthusiastic supporter all of the bad things the mafia/organized crime does in society.

Of course such consumerism ultimately supports those things, however indirectly or tangentially. It’s one of the most compelling reasons for legalizing weed, IMO. But if you are purchasing sex acts from a sex slave that has been human trafficked (which may not be the case here at all), the support is far more direct.  It’s not a matter of being high and mighty, it’s a matter of understanding that your actions do indeed have consequences for others. 

I was waiting for this post.

Drug cartels and the mafia sell drugs or gambling opportunities and use the money to support horrible organizations. 

Human traffickers sell you the opportunity to rape a woman, intentionally or not. 

Judge Smails said:
I just finished a glorious 90 minute massage. Deep tissue, walk on back etc. I get the same therapist averaging every 2 weeks for last 5+ years. All of the therapists are Chinese. All are licensed. Tough laws in this city re that but we had a window where there was no limitation re # of massage businesses. So we must have 40 in town. Way too many. 

FYI - I’ve never seen anyone even close to under age in these places. If anything they tend to be on the older side. 
This is the hallmark of a legitimate establishment. 

Of course such consumerism ultimately supports those things, however indirectly or tangentially. It’s one of the most compelling reasons for legalizing weed, IMO. But if you are purchasing sex acts from a sex slave that has been human trafficked (which not be the case here at all), the support is far more direct.  It’s not a matter of being high and mighty, it’s a matter of understanding that your actions do indeed have consequences for others. 
High and mighty was the wrong term for me to use so generally, though it does apply to some of the takes in here.

If Kraft knowingly purchased sex act from someone he knew to be a sex slave, then yeah, that's repulsive and like you said far more direct.

If he did not know that to be the case, then as far as personal responsibility/morality goes it was much more analogous to an illegal drug purchase or wager. He participated in an act he knew to be illegal, where money was moving from his pocket into the hands of a shady operation, but he likely did not fully appreciate the wider implications.

Leroy Hoard said:
Why does it have to be all or most of them?
I agree that it shouldn't happen anywhere.  My point was that I think's wrong to think that human trafficking and/or sex slavery is the norm for most of these places. 

I think it's more like Ramblin Dreck's coworker described.  Mostly older gentlemen going in and getting a massage from an older (and willing) Asian woman.  Yes, most of these places probably offer um...."releases"....but I doubt most of them allow intercourse.

That's all I'm saying.  I just think this is being made into a bigger thing than it is.  If there are any signs of sex slavery/human trafficking, yes, investigate it to the fullest but don't be mistaken and think this happens at every Asian Massage place.

Henry Ford said:
I don’t know what you’re including in “these Asian massage parlors.”
I don't know how to describe them better than that.  I get the impression you are grouping all Asian massage parlors together.  

High and mighty was the wrong term for me to use so generally, though it does apply to some of the takes in here.

If Kraft knowingly purchased sex act from someone he knew to be a sex slave, then yeah, that's repulsive and like you said far more direct.

If he did not know that to be the case, then as far as personal responsibility/morality goes it was much more analogous to an illegal drug purchase or wager. He participated in an act he knew to be illegal, where money was moving from his pocket into the hands of a shady operation, but he likely did not fully appreciate the wider implications.
It’s far more direct, whether he knew about it or not. I think we’ll have to wait to see if more facts come out about this case.  But the initial reports of women living at the parlor and not being allowed to leave is concerning. As someone who has personally donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to causes committed to ending human sex trafficking, I would think Kraft might be more perceptive than the average person when it comes to the hallmarks of a sex trafficking operation, but who knows.

I'm willing to assume the woman was a slave, little doubt about it.

My point is that when judging Kraft as a man, if he thought the woman was there voluntarily and receiving a cut of the action, as a bookie or drug dealer would, there is little difference when it comes to his intent. And I find it very hard to believe he went in there suspecting he was receiving services from a slave.

As far as his charitable donations go and how it relates to plausible deniability, I guess it would look better for him if he'd never given to such a cause? I don't know. I think it speaks more to the disconnect between rich guys and the real world. You'd think he'd connect the dots but I'm not surprised if he didn't.

As far as his charitable donations go and how it relates to plausible deniability, I guess it would look better for him if he'd never given to such a cause? I don't know. I think it speaks more to the disconnect between rich guys and the real world. You'd think he'd connect the dots but I'm not surprised if he didn't.
Regarding the donations, while I don't know how it works today, Robert had very little to do with the day to day operations of his philanthropy organization in the past.  That was always run by his late wife Myra. 

There is a chance he had only passing knowledge of what types of donations his organization made to this cause.

One of the ironic parts of this situation is that Kraft has always been very vocal about leaving a legacy for his kids and grand kids.   

If things go badly from this point on, he could leave them a legacy they can never remove.

I know we talked about it early in the thread but I want to revisit this question.  Please use the assumptions listed even if you don't agree they pertain to this case.

======

Assumptions:

1) You are rich and famous

2) You attended a massage parlor and used the extra services for a happy ending

3) you had absolutely no knowledge of sex trafficking or underage stuff at the establishment

Given these assumptions: After the news breaks, which of these do you choose as your immediate course of action?

a) "I am sorry to my family and friends.  I was lonely and had a moment of weakness.  I will cooperate 100% with the police investigation"

b) "I did nothing illegal"

I feel that while a) is harder, once you get out in front of it, the story has no where to go.  b) gives you the chance of exoneration but I think the story lasts MUCH longer in the news and is like blood in the water for media who will dig and dig.

I know we talked about it early in the thread but I want to revisit this question.  Please use the assumptions listed even if you don't agree they pertain to this case.

======

Assumptions:

1) You are rich and famous

2) You attended a massage parlor and used the extra services for a happy ending

3) you had absolutely no knowledge of sex trafficking or underage stuff at the establishment

Given these assumptions: After the news breaks, which of these do you choose as your immediate course of action?

a) "I am sorry to my family and friends.  I was lonely and had a moment of weakness.  I will cooperate 100% with the police investigation"

b) "I did nothing illegal"

I feel that while a) is harder, once you get out in front of it, the story has no where to go.  b) gives you the chance of exoneration but I think the story lasts MUCH longer in the news and is like blood in the water for media who will dig and dig.
Probably depends a lot on what knowledge he has of evidence against him.  If it's true about the video evidence (hidden cameras), he definitely should choose option A in your scenario.

I understand the thought process of "we're all guilty" if you increase the depth of the lens we use to view it. If you've looked at online porn, at some point, you almost certainly watched someone who was being exploited. Have you ever bought a diamond? Or the drugs and wagers you mention. The slave made sneakers and iphones? We're all guilty to a degree.

But each layer removed does make it somewhat different. Maybe that's awful to think/admit, but it does. It's the only way we can buy NIKE gear or a smartphone. 

That all said, I also find it hard to believe that he had zero clue there was/is something amiss here. Just the fact that one could "buy" these types of sexual services for $59 should be a HUGE red flag that this isn't the girls' career choice by any stretch. 

I'm pretty late to this party here on FBGs.

Only on page 3, but maybe it's been discussed already.  I read the surveillance logs from the affidavit... it seems like many of the men they have on camera (~24ish I think) saw one of the two ladies who are charged as the traffickers who were supposedly running the spa.

I have no clue as to what was really going on there, but how come the majority of their evidence indicates the women in charge were frequently the ones servicing the clients?  That doesn't remotely sound like trafficking, or people with stolen passports forced into slavery.  Maybe that was the case for some of the unidentified women?  Or, maybe the police are using the term "sex trafficking" more liberally than they should be and this was really just prostitution, and the media is running with it and making assumptions?  I don't know, but if it is the latter, I honestly think it could be pretty damaging to future efforts to stop sex trafficking if this ends up blowing up in their face as not being what they're saying it is.  With all of these rich and powerful people getting charged, I expect this to end up in court, and it could go very, very badly for the Jupiter PD in a number of ways.

For clarity's sake:

I abhor slavery, sex slavery, sex trafficking

I fully support the complete and total decriminalization of prostitution.

I believe the current situation in the US muddies the water so much that it is difficult to tell which is what, and that we should just grow up and decriminalize, focus our efforts and dollars on providing safety for the women who choose this profession and make it simpler to stop those exploiting and abusing and forcing other women into this life.

The likelihood these women are being trafficked is extremely high. 
I think the majority of people make this assumption.  However, the inverse is true.  The police love to label things as sex trafficking that are not remotely.  Something like 99% of prostitution stings don't actually catch any sex trafficking whatsoever.  They just disrupt and ruin lives of consenting adults.

There is actual sex trafficking happening though.  And if this sting hit upon it, that's fantastic.  But typically, the current environment of laws and enforcement has created a black market where sex trafficking is happening at a much higher rate than if this was decriminalized.  Trafficking and slavery would still be illegal, but if the rest of this black market were to vanish, the only thing left would be the criminals we all believe need to be caught, and they'd be much easier to catch.

I don't think it's clear that would happen at all. For instance, prostitution is legalized in the Netherlands and yet sex trafficking is still a big problem there:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2017/10/some-6000-people-a-year-in-the-netherlands-are-victims-of-trafficking/
But is it a bigger problem or a smaller problem?

There is actually a lot of thought on both sides of this issue.  I'm still digesting it currently.  My instincts tell me that decriminalization would result in lower instances of trafficking, but I'm still reading up on it.

I know that a decriminalization bill has been brought up in DC a few times, but it's still in committee.  The Kraft event has reminded me to get a bit more educated on it, which I've been doing sporadically throughout the weekend.

Not responding to anyone in particular here but I don't think the historical objections to legalized prostitution in this country have centered mostly on concerns about human trafficking. And I think if we were to have a general national debate on the issue, the "moral" issues would take front and center for a vast majority of the electorate. All imho, of course.

I'm pretty late to this party here on FBGs.

Only on page 3, but maybe it's been discussed already.  I read the surveillance logs from the affidavit... it seems like many of the men they have on camera (~24ish I think) saw one of the two ladies who are charged as the traffickers who were supposedly running the spa.

I have no clue as to what was really going on there, but how come the majority of their evidence indicates the women in charge were frequently the ones servicing the clients?  That doesn't remotely sound like trafficking, or people with stolen passports forced into slavery.  Maybe that was the case for some of the unidentified women?  Or, maybe the police are using the term "sex trafficking" more liberally than they should be and this was really just prostitution, and the media is running with it and making assumptions?  I don't know, but if it is the latter, I honestly think it could be pretty damaging to future efforts to stop sex trafficking if this ends up blowing up in their face as not being what they're saying it is.  With all of these rich and powerful people getting charged, I expect this to end up in court, and it could go very, very badly for the Jupiter PD in a number of ways.

For clarity's sake:

I abhor slavery, sex slavery, sex trafficking

I fully support the complete and total decriminalization of prostitution.

I believe the current situation in the US muddies the water so much that it is difficult to tell which is what, and that we should just grow up and decriminalize, focus our efforts and dollars on providing safety for the women who choose this profession and make it simpler to stop those exploiting and abusing and forcing other women into this life.
I agree -- good post.

Also, if this sting turns out not to involve sex trafficking, we're all going to rue the missed opportunity to mock and ridicule Bob Kraft.

Users who are viewing this thread