What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trayveon Williams, CIN (1 Viewer)

Ex-NFL scout: Why Texas A&M's Trayveon Williams is a player to keep an eye on if Cowboys look to draft RB help

Excerpt:

Is there a sweet spot in the draft where the Cowboys can select a running back that doesn't interfere with other areas of need?

Bryan Broaddus:
"A guy that I think is a really interesting player is this Trayveon Williams from Texas A&M. He's a guy that's a little bit of a shorter guy, he's 200 pounds. He's gonna kind of be one of those guys when the Cowboys are picking at [No.] 58...that running back tends to be somewhere from 58 to like 65, somewhere right around that. But keep an eye on that Williams kid from Texas A&M, because I think there's a lot of really great qualities about him. I love the toughness, I love the vision, I love his ability to catch the football. We gotta work on the pass-blocking stuff. But you talk about a guy that...and you watch the last two games -- LSU, North Carolina State -- he wore those two teams out. You watch him in some of the other games, too, against some quality SEC defenses, he was having some productivity as well.

"I think the great thing about this draft is, whatever we talk about all leading up to it will be, 'OK, this position or this position or this position' -- I think [the Cowboys] are open to anything at 58. I really do. I don't think you can sit there and say like last year that they are gonna take this linebacker or they are gonna take this wide receiver. I think whatever need you think they have, whether it's that running back spot whether it's that tight end again, a defensive tackle, whether it's a safety, whether if it's a corner...I think it's all up open to their ability to be selected at that time."

Pro Football Focus notes that Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams had more runs for ten or more yards than any other running back in the SEC.

In fact, it wasn't close. Williams (5'9/200) was able to run for ten-plus yards on 57 carries, and the next closest to that mark was Kentucky star Benny Snell Jr. with 34 carries. Williams has been typically mocked in the Day 3 range -- Bleacher Report's Matt Miller had him in Round 5 in his latest update -- but because of his ability to make big plays -- and he's also an underrated receiver -- he could be a steal in that range.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Feb 19, 2019, 5:37 PM

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein said Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams "might be" the best pass blocking running back in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams (5'9/200) went to Twitter to declare himself as the top pass blocker in the class and encouraged draft analysts to "pull up this year's tape." Zierlein, of course, did grind the tape and walked away thinking that Williams is among the top of the class in that category, even as an undersized back. But it doesn't stop there. Williams set a Texas A&M school record with 1,760 rushing yards and caught 27 passes in 2018, leading him to the second most yards from scrimmage among the NFL Combine-invited running backs. He's earned a Day 2 selection, but he was recently mocked to Round 5 by Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

SOURCE: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Feb 17, 2019, 3:52 PM

Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams received an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine.

Williams (5'9/200) is coming off a 2018 season in which he set a program record with 1,760 rushing yards. The speedster faces questions over size and strength, but his explosivity once he hits the open field is undeniable. In his newest running back rankings, The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Williams as the No. 5 back in the class, writing that he is "quick out of the blocks with the vision and competitive run style to pick, slide and weave through enemy territory." He's a likely Day 2 selection and someone who could potentially worm his way into the Day 1 conversation with a strong process.

SOURCE: Trayveon Williams on Twitter

Jan 30, 2019, 1:18 PM

Oh look another 5'9" 200 lb RB.  Add him to the list of every other RB this year pretty much.  

But seriously I will say this though, there's a bunch of the same sized guys in this class and I think Trayveon doesn't stand out like some of them do.  Darrell Henderson or Devin Singletary for example do stand out at that size.  

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams' body type to Reggie Bush.

Miller points to their long legs as evidence but also compares their burst and receiving ability. Williams is also considered one of the best pass-blockers in the draft class, earning "plug and play" status from Miller. As long as Williams doesn't tank at the NFL Combine -- that would be absolutely shocking -- then he's on track to be a Day 2 pick and a player who should receive looks as a rookie in 2019.

SOURCE: The Draft Board

Feb 24, 2019, 4:40 PM

Zyphros said:
Oh look another 5'9" 200 lb RB.  Add him to the list of every other RB this year pretty much.  

But seriously I will say this though, there's a bunch of the same sized guys in this class and I think Trayveon doesn't stand out like some of them do.  Darrell Henderson or Devin Singletary for example do stand out at that size.  
Agreed. I was disappointed looking at his tape. Singletary is the one who seems really impressive to me but I wish he caught more passes for his size. 

Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams measured in at 5-foot-8, 206-pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday.

That's down an inch from the 5-foot-9 he was listed at Texas A&M. Williams may not have ideal height, but, he does have some "thick" to him at 206-pounds, which is up six pounds from that listed weight. Williams is one of the more polarizing tailbacks in this class, but he was also one of the most productive last year, so strong testing could confirm that he's one of the top tailbacks in this group.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 9:51 AM

Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

It's certainly not a time that will move his draft stock in either direction, as 4.51 seconds is an average time for a 206-pound running back. Where Williams wins is in his on-field production and efficiency. As a junior at Texas A&M, Williams finished with over 1,000 yards after contact while finishing 6th in 20-yard play percentage among NFL Combine invitees. Williams will be able to hang around on third downs in the NFL as a plus-pass catcher and arguably the draft class' top pass blocker. Williams will be a Day 2 selection unless something dramatically changes his evaluation.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 1, 2019, 3:59 PM

An AFC Scout told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein that you have to take Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams seriously because of his production in the SEC.

The full quote to Zierlein: "The road scouts weren't really feeling him but I just take that kind of production seriously with SEC backs. And it's not just this year; he's had three years at it." Zierlein comps Williams to Elijah McGuire of the New York Jets, and lists some of his strengths including his ability to change directions without "gearing down" and that tackles have a hard time finishing him in space. He also notes concerns with his size (5'8/206) and that he'll need to be more decisive in selecting holes. Despite those issues, Zierlein gives Williams a grade that suggests he has a chance to be an NFL starter.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 11, 2019, 8:13 AM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler anticipates Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams being selected within the first 125 picks.

Williams (5'8/206) offers quality abilities as a third-down back as a versatile player with plus pass-blocking skills. As a junior in 2018, Williams averaged 6.5 yards on his 271 carries (1,760 rushing yards) while scoring 18 rushing touchdowns and catching 27 passes. That production in the SEC puts him on the Day 2/3 borderline despite being on the smaller side with average speed and poor agility scores.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Apr 14, 2019, 9:24 AM

Any change in opinion? I don't see anything special on tape but I am not a scout so I don't watch much beyond some highlights. All the measurables look good except height. 

Any change in opinion? I don't see anything special on tape but I am not a scout so I don't watch much beyond some highlights. All the measurables look good except height. 
I'd argue Williams isn't a top-20 RB in this class. He'd be my 3rd choice of RB's with the last name Williams. He isn't very great laterally, has average speed, average receiving, average blocker, and  mediocre tacking breaker. I'd be shocked if he even became more than an NFL backup. 

I think guys like Love, Henderson, Singletary, are much better prospects, and Darwin Thompson, Travis Homer, Justice Hill are more athletic, among similar sized guys.

ETA: Zuerlien's comparison to Elijah McGuire seems fair, and maybe even a higher-end result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep using this term but "from a traits standpoint" he has about half the things I'm looking for.  Not super special but does enough to make me wonder about him in this class.  Key word "in this class".  Kind of a run of the mill guy.  At least from my point of view.  I watched a few games of his and felt I had a good enough grasp of what he is, far away from what a real scout does to these prospects and I am by no means an expert.  The thing that makes me think he has a chance is his pass protection is pretty good (very willing although needs to get better) and his pass catching.  But he isn't more than a 3rd down back I have to believe.  

As of right now he's my 12th rated RB, and #33 overall.  But I'll likely slip in some combine snubs (Ty Johnson, Travis Homer those types) that had great pro days in that 25-30 range so he's very likely to slip even further down for me.  I favor guys like Devine Ozigbo, Jalin Moore, Mike Weber.  Ozigbo and Moore both popped when I watched them and they have the size that could allow them to be full time players.  I've soured a bit on Ozigbo as of late.  And Weber just seemed like steady Eddie to me, along with the potential to be more than a 3rd down guy, I'll take those shots before Trayveon.  

I keep using this term but "from a traits standpoint" he has about half the things I'm looking for.  Not super special but does enough to make me wonder about him in this class.  Key word "in this class".  Kind of a run of the mill guy.  At least from my point of view.  I watched a few games of his and felt I had a good enough grasp of what he is, far away from what a real scout does to these prospects and I am by no means an expert.  The thing that makes me think he has a chance is his pass protection is pretty good (very willing although needs to get better) and his pass catching.  But he isn't more than a 3rd down back I have to believe.  

As of right now he's my 12th rated RB, and #33 overall.  But I'll likely slip in some combine snubs (Ty Johnson, Travis Homer those types) that had great pro days in that 25-30 range so he's very likely to slip even further down for me.  I favor guys like Devine Ozigbo, Jalin Moore, Mike Weber.  Ozigbo and Moore both popped when I watched them and they have the size that could allow them to be full time players.  I've soured a bit on Ozigbo as of late.  And Weber just seemed like steady Eddie to me, along with the potential to be more than a 3rd down guy, I'll take those shots before Trayveon.  
Yeah I am eyeing him as a potential Lion to replace Theo Riddick. 

Bengals selected Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams with the No. 182 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams (5’8/206) turned pro as a true junior after tallying a career 600/3,615/34 (6.0 YPC) rushing line and 66/561/1 receiving as the Aggies’ lead back in all three years. PFF College credited Williams with an SEC-high 57 carries that gained 10-plus yards last season, and coaches voted him a first-team all-conference pick. Williams disappointed at the Combine with 4.51 speed and a sluggish 7.44 three-cone time, however, and his college tape reveals a jack of many trades but master of none. Elijah McGuire would be a fair comparison. With Mark Walton no longer on the roster and Giovani Bernard entering the final year of his deal, Williams could be the long-term No. 2 behind Joe Mixon.

Apr 27, 2019, 1:43 PM

Here's what Bengals QB Andy Dalton had to say about rookie RB Trayveon Williams, who had some good moments today: "I thought he made some good cuts and had some good runs. I’m excited to see when things get live to see how he is able to respond and play. He’s shown some good things."

Ben Baby, ESPN Staff Writer

Bengals sixth-round RB Trayveon Williams (foot) is "likely" out for the rest of the preseason.

Williams sustained the injury in last week's preseason game, and it's serious enough to likely knock him out weeks, though the Bengals are optimistic that he'll return by the season opener. The sixth-rounder was campaigning for the Bengals' RB3 job, with Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard forming one of the better 1-2 combos in the league. Williams was a very productive SEC back and could end up being Cincy's future RB2 with Bernard playing in a contract year.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 18, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

Any updates on Williams?  Been hanging on to this guy thinking he will be the cuff to Mixon soon.

Gio's numbers were pretty awful last year. His yards per carry were down, his yards per target were down, his rushing & receiving DVOA were down, his PFF grade was down. His 2018 wasn't so hot either, and then his 2019 was worse.

Is Williams on any of your dynasty waiver wire in 24 man rosters or greater leagues?  I suspect not, but I'm not sure it's justified.  I've kept him not knowing why.  Is he healthy yet?

I've got to think he or Rodney Anderson transition in for Gio at some point this year or next. I'm taking a look at him in 30 man dynasty league and was looking at other feedback here.

Is Williams on any of your dynasty waiver wire in 24 man rosters or greater leagues?  I suspect not, but I'm not sure it's justified.  I've kept him not knowing why.  Is he healthy yet?
he was on waivers on mine. i picked him up a couple weeks ago for the reasons mentioned in the thread (mixon contract uncertainty and perhaps gio goes away). i see there was good production at an SEC school so what the heck, lets see.

I've picked this guy up in almost all of my leagues.  Mixon holdout/injury insurance, even if I don't have Mixon.

Trayveon Williams projects as the Bengals second or third running back following Rodney Anderson's release.

Anderson and Williams were late-round darts from Cincinnati in recent seasons, but Anderson's injuries will prevent him from amounting to anything with the Bengals. This moves Williams next to Giovani Bernard as Joe Mixon's insurance. Mixon was signed to a long-term contract, but Williams would be a waiver wire add if Mixon were to miss games with injury. He had a three-down profile coming out of Texas A&M in 2019.

SOURCE: Bengals on Twitter

Sep 1, 2020, 5:56 PM ET

I've been waiting for him a long time.  I'm excited to see what he can do...........eventually.  Probably not much today however.

Trayveon Williams rushed 12 times for 49 yards in the Bengals' Week 14 loss to Dallas, adding three receptions for 14 yards. 

Like Gio Bernard, Williams fumbled against the Cowboys. Unlike Bernard, the fumble didn't land him on the bench. He led Cincy's backfield in touches against Dallas, as Samaje Perine saw 10 carries to Williams' 12. Bernard had three carries. While there's not a whole lot of value in the muddled Bengals backfield, Williams should be picked up on waivers this week ahead of the team's Week 15 game against the Steelers. The Bengals might want to see what they have in their 2019 sixth round draft pick during the season's final weeks. 

RELATED: 

Samaje Perine

, Giovani Bernard

Dec 14, 2020, 10:15 AM ET

Trayveon Williams rushed four times for 74 yards in the Bengals' Week 17 loss to the Ravens. 

Williams finished his second pro season by showing off his burst on an impressive 55-yards scamper against Baltimore. Buried on the depth chart for most of the season, Williams did reasonably well when the Bengals gave him some run late in the season. Headed into his third year, there's no clear path to Williams becoming a fantasy relevant running back without a rash of backfield injuries.

- Rotoworld

Will this guy have value in 2021?  If Mixon went down I have my doubts that he would have value.  

Will this guy have value in 2021?  If Mixon went down I have my doubts that he would have value.  
I've had him on my radar for a little bit as well. If they cut Gio is there someone else that would take over? Perine? They just brought him back but IDK.

No clue who this guy is, but Joe Mixon is one knee "boo boo" away from the backup getting a ton of carries in what could be a great offense. I know this line of thinking makes us NFL sickos, but that's winning, baby.

I know this line of thinking makes us NFL sickos
Name almost checks out 😂

They ran Perine over him last year, so I have my doubts it'd be Williams, but like others said, were an injury from finding out. He's a fine hold in deeper leagues.

Name almost checks out 😂

They ran Perine over him last year, so I have my doubts it'd be Williams, but like others said, were an injury from finding out. He's a fine hold in deeper leagues.
I know he was injured a couple of years ago, but one would have thought he would have done more by now.  He's a tweener at 5'8" 206 and isn't great in the receiving game, probably the reason why he didn't play a lot last year.  He did have 26 carries for 157 yards and a 6.0 avg. however.  At the end of the day he is a 6th round pick and not many of those ever amount to anything.

No, better chance of not making the team because the 3 RB's are all but guaranteed of being on the roster and Williams is holding onto that last spot.

Users who are viewing this thread