What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oscars 2019 thread (1 Viewer)

The first year of the hard rock category of the Grammys the award went to Jethro Tull over Nothing's Shocking and And Justice For All. It's considered one of the biggest misfires in awards showdom.
I'm just not sure what it had to do with the conversation. 

So why did it when "production design" when most of the production was CGI?  Honest question.
It's complicated  (even moreso now with CGI) but essentially the production designer visualizes the world and brings it to life through the costumes, the set dressing, etc. BP also won costume design and I am sure that was a big part of the production design win as well. I'm not saying it was the best or that I am good judge of that category but I thought the best part of BP was it's unique world vision. The intermingling of traditional African design, the African landscape and the super hightech secret world of Wakanda was something pretty innovative. The club in Korea looked cool, the vibranium (or whatever) in those clothes and elsewhere, etc. I thought it had a unique visual design/world. I don't like much CGI and it usually all looks dumb to me so I don't know how well it was or wasn't executed but that could be separate from the vision of the film. 

Just as an example, maybe Blade Runner's CGI /effects don't hold up to modern films but is there a modern film that had better production design (created a more unique and real world that was perfect for the movie)? Doubtful. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I should do my own list of what should have won best picture for the last 90+ years. Not that I have seen everything but I've seen a lot. 
What's interesting to me is that prior to 2005, I generally agreed with the Best Picture winner about 40-50% of the time.

I counted it as a disagreement when there was another film that I think was clearly better (example, 1996: Fargo over English Patient and 1997: LA Confidential over Titanic)

Since 2005, it's dropped to generally agreeing 10-20% of the time.

Whatever changes the Academy has made, I don't like them.

What's interesting to me is that prior to 2005, I generally agreed with the Best Picture winner about 40-50% of the time.

I counted it as a disagreement when there was another film that I think was clearly better (example, 1996: Fargo over English Patient and 1997: LA Confidential over Titanic)

Since 2005, it's dropped to generally agreeing 10-20% of the time.

Whatever changes the Academy has made, I don't like them.
I’m sure you will like my choices better...maybe 

Now, you are doing your awards for all the categories, right @Ilov80s?

I was thinking about firing up my year threads again, but not doing countdowns, just having people post their top 10-20 lists and discuss them for a couple weeks.   I don't have time for the math and the write-ups, but I miss talking about movies.  

Now, you are doing your awards for all the categories, right @Ilov80s?

I was thinking about firing up my year threads again, but not doing countdowns, just having people post their top 10-20 lists and discuss them for a couple weeks.   I don't have time for the math and the write-ups, but I miss talking about movies.  
Holy #### no way I could do awards for every category! Maybe acting but that’s maybe it. Also I’m all for bringing the threads back. I think I would be happy to handle the math as well. 

VFX should’ve gone to Avengers but folks eat up photoreal space movies, even when the VFX are cookie cutter and done many times before. 

Definitely do this.
@The Dreaded Marco or @Ilov80s- maybe it's my lack of caffeine, but I can't find my old threads on quick search.  I need to reshuffle, and I also couldn't find my notes by my desk with the list of years we did.  

Regardless, I was going to start with 2014 since at Oscar time I wanted to do the year 5 years in the past.  I figure that way people have time to watch more of them vs. just doing an end of year list.  

@The Dreaded Marco or @Ilov80s- maybe it's my lack of caffeine, but I can't find my old threads on quick search.  I need to reshuffle, and I also couldn't find my notes by my desk with the list of years we did.  

Regardless, I was going to start with 2014 since at Oscar time I wanted to do the year 5 years in the past.  I figure that way people have time to watch more of them vs. just doing an end of year list.  
Something seems messed up with the search function (I am shocked). I know we covered 1982 but I could not get any thread titles with 1982 in the title. I know we covered the year with Godfather 2 but when I searched for posts with Godfather in it, it came up with 2. There is obviously no way "Godfather" has only been mentioned twice ever on this board. Also both hits were from February so it seems like it may only be searching 2019 even if I made a custom range. 

I've got a Google sheet with a bunch of tabs that I had been nerdily using to put my lists together. So, I've still got the years. Looking at it, the one that would have been next up looks like 2001, since I've got films listed, but no points assigned yet.

I don’t think I sent you a list for every year we ranked  but for most of them. I know we did 99, 82, 74, 89, 92, 05, 07, 78 and 96. 

I don’t think you ever revealed for 96. 

I've got a Google sheet with a bunch of tabs that I had been nerdily using to put my lists together. So, I've still got the years. Looking at it, the one that would have been next up looks like 2001, since I've got films listed, but no points assigned yet.
Full list of what was done:

1999, 1982, 1974, 2010, 1989, 1992, 2005, 1971, 1955-1959, 1984, 2007, 1978, and 1996 (may have been where stopped before results announced).  Then I have the 2001 tab.

Something seems messed up with the search function (I am shocked). I know we coverd 1982 but I could not get a any thread titles with 1982 in the title. I know we covered the year with Godfather 2 but when I searched for posts with Godfather in it, it came up with 2. There is obviously no way "Godfather" has only been mentioned twice ever on this board. Also both hits were from February so it seems like it may only be searching 2019 even if I made a custom range. 
That's what I ran into.  I searched "+movie +poll" and got nothing.  

Probably start 2014 on break and we can dig.  

Full list of what was done:

1999, 1982, 1974, 2010, 1989, 1992, 2005, 1971, 1955-1959, 1984, 2007, 1978, and 1996 (may have been where stopped before results announced).  Then I have the 2001 tab.
Awesome, thanks! 

I guess I can redo 1996 after 2014, and post the lists.  I remember having a mild schedule for the 3-4 after that, which is why you have 2001 staeted i assume.  

I sent a PM with my 1996 list over to KP. So, I think we got that far with it.
Yeah you are right, I also sent one in. I just was looking at my list of movies I want to see from 96 and it looked like we hadn't started it. I must have not watched anything new for the poll. 

Yeah, I think that's where we stopped.  When I started work, i kept pushing off the math/countdown for 96.  I think the thread was up for several weeks, but the countdown never happened.  

Users who are viewing this thread