What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The thread to contrast Trump with ALL of the Democratic Presidential Candidates (1 Viewer)

We're still really far away from the election but I'm seeing a lot of criticism around here from supporters of some Democratic candidates when talking about other Democrats.  This one isn't progressive enough, this one is too unrealistic, this one has some character issues, this one is too old, this one is too young, this one supported positions a long time ago that we wouldn't support today, this one is too inexperienced, whatever.  I feel like all that stuff has a purpose, I suppose, in choosing who the Democratic nominee is.  But it's also dangerous if supporters of the candidates that don't win the nomination sit out the election or vote third party or even vote Trump.  So ideally I'd like this thread to focus on clear distinctions that can be made between Trump and the entire Democratic field.  Hopefully that will motivate all the anti-Trump folks that they need to fully support the Democratic nominee whoever that ends up being.  Here are some ideas off the top of my head that probably need to be fleshed out further:

Trump has done less than nothing to combat change -- he is moving us in the complete opposite direction.  Every Democratic candidate takes climate change seriously and wants to take action to combat it.  

Trump has done nothing to expand the number of people that are able to get affordable health care.  Every Democratic candidate has expressed interest in making sure that more people are able to get adequate health care.

Trump gave a giant tax cut to the wealthy.  I believe very Democratic candidate has expressed an interest in increasing taxes on the wealthy to pay for social programs that benefit the less-well off.

OK I got other stuff to do but it would make me happy if this thread could be a constant reminder that the differences among the Democratic candidates are tiny in comparison to the differences between any one of them and Trump.

I was just saying to myself that this forum needs another thread where people can come in and under the guise of conversation, spew pointless vitriol about trump.  Thanks.  
That was not the point of the thread, at some point when I have more time I want to make it a more complete picture of the policy differences between Trump and the Democrats.  

unckeyherb said:
I was just saying to myself that this forum needs another thread where people can come in and under the guise of conversation, spew pointless vitriol about trump.  Thanks.  
I look forward to it's creation.  If anyone's earned that sort of treatment it's Trump.  That doesn't seem to be the intent or what people are doing here for the most part (fake tan jokes aside).

I look forward to it's creation.  If anyone's earned that sort of treatment it's Trump.  That doesn't seem to be the intent or what people are doing here for the most part (fake tan jokes aside).
Apart from my post and the OPs post there have been four responses.  Two of which were jokes about Trumps skin color.  To be clear I don’t care-make fun of him as much as you want.  I just know where this thread will go.  It’s like every other thread and it’s annoyingly stale.  

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
That was not the point of the thread, at some point when I have more time I want to make it a more complete picture of the policy differences between Trump and the Democrats.  
Maybe the Dems themselves should follow your lead. Instead of letting it slip away  again like last time.  They just need to find one somewhat likeable candidate early on they can all get on board with.  No Bernie on the side, no 3rd parties to siphon away votes, no apathy from those who don't want to bother voting at all. If they do that they might win this time.

They are off to a great start by talking about issues that are important to voters in the general election like reparations.   
Well one big difference in the last two elections was black voter turnout.

Its akin to Trump ringing all the right wing dog whistles right now. Trying to rally some sector(s) of the voters.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are off to a great start by talking about issues that are important to voters in the general election like reparations.   
Meh....this isn't much of a difference from Trump creating national emergencies at the border to gen up base support.  If one doesn't have a problem with that, I'm not sure why they'd have a problem with the reparations talk. :shrug:  

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I believe you when you say that wasn't your intent as I believe you're sincere. But turning into one more chance to bash Trump will most likely be the result of the thread. We're a pretty predictable lot. 

I do think it illustrates an important point that I think may be missed.

The simple way of looking at the next presidential election is I think the right way. There are a few groups.

1. The people who'll vote for the Republican nominee regardless of who it is.

2. The people who'll vote for the Democratic nominee regardless of who it is. 

3. The people who are open to voting for either one.

It's purely anecdotal experience from talking to lots of people I know personally who voted for Trump in 2016, but my feeling is there are tons of these 2016 Trump voters who might have been in group #1 back in 2016 but now are WAY more open to moving to group #3.

If I'm running the Democratic party, that's my focus. 

Now I know that's not popular here. But that's what I'd do.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you when you say that wasn't your intent as I believe you're sincere. But turning into one more chance to bash Trump will most likely be the result of the thread. We're a pretty predictable lot. 

I do think it illustrates an important point that I think may be missed.

The simple way of looking at the next presidential election is I think the right way. There are a few groups.

1. The people who'll vote for the Republican nominee regardless of who it is.

2. The people who'll vote for the Democratic nominee regardless of who it is. 

3. The people who are open to voting for either one.

It's purely anecdotal experience from talking to lots of people I know personally who voted for Trump in 2016, but my feeling is there are tons of these 2016 Trump voters who might have been in group #1 back in 2016 but now are WAY more open to moving to group #3.

If I'm running the Democratic party, that's my focus. 

Now I know that's not popular here. But that's what I'd do.  
No...it's what has to be done.  Ignoring Michigan, Wisconsin and the rest of the rust belt can't happen this time around.  I'd also focus on Latinos specifically in the state of Florida.

Well after you knock that out that low hanging fruit, could you more on to the difference between fire and ice?

Okay but why is it that Democrats are in favor of helping the poor while Republicans are not? 
Probably the same reason that Republicans are in favor of what’s good for America while Democrats are not.

(I mentioned in another thread that “America First” is a lame slogan not only because of its anti-Semitic roots, but also because both sides want what’s good for America. When one side describes itself as the pro-America side, it falsely implies that the other side isn’t pro-America. That’s a mischaracterization of what the debate is about. The debate isn’t about whether we should adopt policies that are good for America. [Of course we should!] The debate is about which policies are actually good for America.

Similarly, I think nearly everyone wants to help the poor. Democrats want to do it through government intervention, while Republicans might think charity is more effective, or that government programs will be wasteful or even counterproductive. We might want to ask them about that. In the meantime, we shouldn’t assume that the debate is about whether to help the poor instead of about how to help the poor.)

Users who are viewing this thread