What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many of you have children in high school? (1 Viewer)

Standing Hampton

Footballguy
I'm curious what the policies are at your individual schools as they relate to phones, dress codes, tardy and attendance.

I teach in a very affluent area, where we have students being dropped of Tesla's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, you get the picture.

Cell phones.  Students have them with all the time.  They walk the halls staring at their phone oblivious to what's going on around them.  In class, they're on them constantly.  Most students wear ear buds or head phones and whenever we do independent work they sit there listening to music.  

Dress code.  Really isn't one.  They pretty wear whatever they want.  Double edged sword on girls too.  There's a dress code for them, but I've never brought one instance up.

Tardies/Attendance-Much like a college campus where students come and go as they please.

The parents also have that elitist attitude.  We have a student parking lot in the front of the school that parents aren't supposed to enter to pick up their babies, we have a car rider line for that.  Yet everyday I see parents in the lot picking up their babies because they don't feel like they should have to wait in a car rider line.  The rub is, if one of those parents hits a student they have no recourse'

Just want to see what it's like other places, if you even know.

Catholic High School here (no kids that age, but my sister teaches there).  It's a combo jr & sr high, so 7-12th grade. Each grade has ~40ish students, so about 240-250 kids total in the school.  No block scheduling, each day there are 7 periods. 

Phones are prohibited - if a teacher sees one at all, class or hallway, they take it away, and the student can retrieve it from them at the end of the day.  The teachers keep a communal list and once one kid gets theirs taken up 3 times, the parents get notified and have to schedule a meeting with the involved teachers and the phone is given to them.  

Dress code - boys required to wear khaki shorts or pants and a collared polo shirt in one of the school colors (purple, yellow, white).  Girls allowed to wear khaki or gray skirt/pants with a girl version of the same shirt in same colors.  Closed toed shoes at all times.  Athletes can wear jerseys on their respective sport's gamedays, cheerleaders & dance squad girls can wear their uniform on game days also. 

Tardies/attendance - not 100% sure on the rules here, but they definitely keep track and the counselor will schedule meetings with parents if either gets excessive.  Not sure how many = excessive though. 

The student parking lot is across the street from the school with a dedicated walkway to it. Non-driving students get picked up by parents in a rider line like you suggested but it loops through the faculty parking lot.  Two security guards patrolling the faculty lot and they will stop any parent trying to park.  Students not allowed to mingle through faculty lot during pickup time except to get into a car in the rider line, and even then they have to wait until that car progresses through the line to the dedicated "loading zone". 

daughter is in 8th grade.  

No phones allowed ON during school hours except lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kid is a freshman next year.  I need to find this stuff out.  This school will be a whole new experience for all of us.  4500 students.  They just built a new band room that's bigger than anything outside the state of Texas.  No idea how they control that place.

I'm curious to know if there's a valid reason to have a phone out at all in school.    :popcorn:
My son is a type 1 diabetic who has his blood glucose device synched up with his phone so he can monitor his blood levels.  Seems valid to me.

Also, if one of my sons is tardy or absent for a class, I get emailed and sometimes called right away.  It's quite nice to be able to text them immediately and ask them what's up.  

And since this ####ed up country refuses to do anything about gun control, I live in the same sort of fear that many parents do that their child will be a part of a lockdown that isn't a drill.  Nice of them to have a phone to communicate with us while this goes down.  

I'm curious what the policies are at your individual schools as they relate to phones, dress codes, tardy and attendance.

I teach in a very affluent area, where we have students being dropped of Tesla's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, you get the picture.

Work in a lower middle class district. Definitely no Lambos here. Lots of kids struggle to get reliable transportation or even a new pair of glasses if theirs break. 

Cell phones.  Students have them with all the time.  They walk the halls staring at their phone oblivious to what's going on around them.  In class, they're on them constantly.  Most students wear ear buds or head phones and whenever we do independent work they sit there listening to music.  

Kids are on the phones a lot in the halls and at lunch. Most teachers let them listen to music during independent work. When their is class discussions or the teacher is lecturing, the phones aren't allowed. Now some teachers are more strict with enforcement than others and the kids are always trying so sneak in at least one earbud. It's a bit of an issue but most kids if asked will put it away and if they don't, the administration will support the teacher if they take the kids phone away and send it to the office for a parent to retrieve. 

Dress code.  Really isn't one.  They pretty wear whatever they want.  Double edged sword on girls too.  There's a dress code for them, but I've never brought one instance up.

Not much one one but the administration will enforce how short shorts/skirts are, how low tops are and guys have to have sleeves so no jerseys or cut off shirts. People look fine, there is rarely anyone I see that seems indecent for our modern standards. 

Tardies/Attendance-Much like a college campus where students come and go as they please.

4 tardies to a class and every tardy after is a detention. Miss detention and you are suspended. Kids can not leave campus with out a parent/guardian calling them out. Kids have to have a pass from a teacher to leave a class. 

The parents also have that elitist attitude.  We have a student parking lot in the front of the school that parents aren't supposed to enter to pick up their babies, we have a car rider line for that.  Yet everyday I see parents in the lot picking up their babies because they don't feel like they should have to wait in a car rider line.  The rub is, if one of those parents hits a student they have no recourse'

The parents do not have elitist attitudes and are generally really cooperative. They are respectful of the staff and our rules. They typically side with the school over the kid. 

I work at a HS

My son is a type 1 diabetic who has his blood glucose device synched up with his phone so he can monitor his blood levels.  Seems valid to me.

Also, if one of my sons is tardy or absent for a class, I get emailed and sometimes called right away.  It's quite nice to be able to text them immediately and ask them what's up.  

And since this ####ed up country refuses to do anything about gun control, I live in the same sort of fear that many parents do that their child will be a part of a lockdown that isn't a drill.  Nice of them to have a phone to communicate with us while this goes down.  
The "gun control" comment brought up a discussion we had in class.  We talked about what many of the school shootings had in common and my students brought up how many of them had been bullied.  We then talked about that being the main problem, as opposed to blaming guns.  If a student wanted to harm other students, according to my students, they'd find a way.

The 1st one is certainly a good reason.  So in that case, it would be just a quick check?   For the 2nd, I should have said a good reason to have your phone out at school; not to have it physically in your possession.   

I teach in a very affluent area, where we have students being dropped of Tesla's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, you get the picture. Yes

Cell phones.  Students have them with all the time.  They walk the halls staring at their phone oblivious to what's going on around them.  In class, they're on them constantly.  Most students wear ear buds or head phones and whenever we do independent work they sit there listening to music.  It's up to the teachers, most don't allow them out during class, but will sometimes allow them if you've completed your work.

Dress code.  Really isn't one.  They pretty wear whatever they want.  Double edged sword on girls too.  There's a dress code for them, but I've never brought one instance up.  I'm sure there are some guidelines but nothing so restrictive that I know of them.

Tardies/Attendance-Much like a college campus where students come and go as they please.  If my kids did not show up I would get a call immediately.  If I need to get them out early I need to call ahead and they'll get them out of class, but I don't really sign them out at all.

The parents also have that elitist attitude.  We have a student parking lot in the front of the school that parents aren't supposed to enter to pick up their babies, we have a car rider line for that.  Yet everyday I see parents in the lot picking up their babies because they don't feel like they should have to wait in a car rider line.  The rub is, if one of those parents hits a student they have no recourse'  There isn't anything specific like that here

Two kids in HS.  A son that is a sophomore and a daughter that is a freshman.

Two kids in high school (one just graduated college).  It is technically a suburnab school, but it is more like an urban school.  We are a first ring suburb, and many kids from the city open enroll to get into a suburban high school  Except that many (white) residents open enroll to the next district to get away from all the scary minorities.  It can be rough, but it is certainly not that bad.  My kids are getting a great education there, both academically, and how the world works.  Anyway, here are the policies:

Phone: Kids have them all the time.  Usage varies class to class.  Some teachers let the kids have earbuds in, others do not allow it.  Test time the phones go away.  School rules are that during passing time, and any other time not in class where a teacher is specifically more lenient, you cannot have earbuds in both ears, or over the ear headphones covering both ears.  In other words, you have to be aware of the world around you with at least one ear.  I don't think phones are ever taken away, even in this type of school, parents go overboard defending their kids right to have their phones, so it is more hassle than it is worth.

Dress Code: There is one, but it isn't terrible strict.  The main issues I am aware of are enforced, no hats, no gang colors, no visible bellies.  I think yoga pants were discussed as being banned, but it never happened.

Attendance: Enforced and reported to authorities if not excused.  I know I get an email everytime if my kids are late to school, or late to an individual class.  If kids miss in excess of whatever the state guidelines are, they get reported as truant to the local authorities.

The "gun control" comment brought up a discussion we had in class.  We talked about what many of the school shootings had in common and my students brought up how many of them had been bullied.  We then talked about that being the main problem, as opposed to blaming guns.  If a student wanted to harm other students, according to my students, they'd find a way.
The bullying thing is true sometimes but often the shooters are the bullies. See Columbine, MSD, etc. Those weren't kids lashing out against bullies, they were continuining a long pattern destructive behavior. 

My son will be in Catholic high school next year.

Cell phones : he's not permitted to have a phone turned on during the school day without permission, it's to be kept in his locker or car during the school day.

Dress code : blue or khaki pants and shirts are polo school logo shirts, school logo sweater, school logo sweatshirt.

Tardies/Attendance : I think this is similar to his current situation, get it on time or get a tardy, etc.  Bells go off, get to your classroom when the bell rings, pretty standard HS stuff.

For him, I just don't think this is a big deal, he won't have to adjust to much that way.  Honestly, this is really just an extension of grade school/middle school policies really, similar dress code, same cell phone policy, same attendance policy, etc.  

John's Creek?

My kid is at the largest school in Gwinnett County. AFAIK, the rules are the same as you noted above, with one exception: if you attempt to drop your kid off outside of the car rider lane, God help you. There is a teacher that will literally sprint after you, and rip you a new one. It's hilarious to see.

My kids go to what I would describe as an upper middle class public school. Kids drive nice cars but they are usually hand me down 4-8 year old bmw, Mercedes, etc from the parents.  The kids are very smart and respectful.  It’s a tough school for the few kids that aren’t smart since it so competitive.  There are binge drinking issues, but nothing major with drugs.  Some vaping I hear.  Almost never a fight.  

Kids dress casual. Girls are known to change into skimpier outfits after leaving their house in the morning. I don’t think the administration cares what they are wearing. Yoga pants may be revealing in some aspects, but no worse than what a really short skirt. 

Cell phones everywhere.  They have to turn them off in most classes. The teachers determine this. I know my son will only get my texts in two of his classes   The others he has it off  

kids can come and go   It is much like a college as long as they are there for first period   I do get a rare text notice if he misses a class   But it’s always been for a good reason and the school messed up   Like I get them when the basketball team leaves to play at another school and they have to leave before classes are over  

the parents are mostly ok   There are some foreigners (mainly Asian dads) that don’t quite understand the drop off system   I don’t think they mean anything bad by it.  they just seem confused even after x years of drop offs   

They leave incredibly prepared for college  but I’m not so sure any of them could survive a day on the streets of a tough city   They are book and socially smart   But our HS kids are not so much able to fend for themselves

ETA - I think back to my HS days in the 80s and I notice:   

We had smoker bathroom and druggie bathroom. Those no longer exists

we had strict dress code.  That seems gone

Without phones I’d get stranded at school twice a year after missing a bus   With no way to get home unless I could find someone still around to drive me and the admi. Office closed. often I walked the 2 miles home

we had fights every day  

kids are WAY smarter these days  but less in tune with the world around them   We hung out together every day for hours   Now they have so much homework and APs etc that there’s little unorganized time and less fun IMO  

This sounds like a disaster. 

The bullying thing is true sometimes but often the shooters are the bullies. See Columbine, MSD, etc. Those weren't kids lashing out against bullies, they were continuining a long pattern destructive behavior. 
I’m pretty sure that’s what the poster was also saying. You’re saying the same thing. 

Daughter at catholic high school.  Limited cell phones in designated areas.  Uniform skirt and shirt.  

I teach at a catholic middle school K-8.  No cell phones allowed but we stretch rules that they can have it in a backpack in their locker.  As for parking rules, bus lane, drop off/pick up, I'm pretty close to asking for the reflective vest when I have car line duty.  

Thank you to any and all parents that submit answers here. I simply compare what others say with the high school I teach at. It’s unfortunate but some battles are it worth fighting sometimes. It’s good to read, unfortunately, that affluent schools have similar issues to my non-affluent school. Just provides more evidence that we are not that different when it comes to the bubble, I feel, I’ve been in for a long time now. 

This sounds like a disaster. 
Seventh highest performing high school in Georgia.  We've got a 96% graduation rate.

It's more like a college campus and my principal is macro-manager and it works here.  Teachers that come from other school districts around the state have an adjustment period because so many things, like cell phone management, are not even addressed here.

Seventh highest performing high school in Georgia.  We've got a 96% graduation rate.

It's more like a college campus and my principal is macro-manager and it works here.  Teachers that come from other school districts around the state have an adjustment period because so many things, like cell phone management, are not even addressed here.
Obviously, kids are driving 100k cars to school. Of course they are performing well.

I teach Jr. High and we DO have a dress code.  But I sure as hell never bring it up with female students.  

I teach Jr. High and we DO have a dress code.  But I sure as hell never bring it up with female students.  
You would have to be a total idiot to address female dress code issues as a male. I remember we had a new teacher who thought he was Judge Dredd. I kept telling him to chill out or he will never survive the job. Then one day in the hall a sophomore was walking down the hall and he called her out about her cleavage and how short her skirt was. 15 minutes later he was in the principals office getting his ### chewed out by this girls dad about why he was looking at a 16 year old girl’s ####, etc. He ended up leaving for a private school the next year. 

You would have to be a total idiot to address female dress code issues as a male. I remember we had a new teacher who thought he was Judge Dredd. I kept telling him to chill out or he will never survive the job. Then one day in the hall a sophomore was walking down the hall and he called her out about her cleavage and how short her skirt was. 15 minutes later he was in the principals office getting his ### chewed out by this girls dad about why he was looking at a 16 year old girl’s ####, etc. He ended up leaving for a private school the next year. 
Yeah, basically there's no way to do it without coming off like this guy

John's Creek?

My kid is at the largest school in Gwinnett County. AFAIK, the rules are the same as you noted above, with one exception: if you attempt to drop your kid off outside of the car rider lane, God help you. There is a teacher that will literally sprint after you, and rip you a new one. It's hilarious to see.

this would bring me mucho enjoyment.

Daughter is a freshman.   Before she switched to online school full time, her high school is exactly as described in the OP

Son is a freshman at a pretty large public high school.

Not the type with those types of cars dropping off...but very diverse for sure.

Yes...they all have phones and most have headphones on/in most of the time when Ive seen them walking around.  And they must use them quite a bit as this morning his has been buzzing non stop with snap chat and instagram notifications (he left it with me as this is a loaner and Im picking his up from the Apple Store today after getting something in it replaced...iphone 7 cellular connectivity issue)

Dress code is "appropriate dress"...basically nothing super revealing or obscene writing.  I think also no political clothing.

But they do enforce tardies and absences pretty strongly.

Being a very large school, there are busses that come and go from the front and the back of the school.  Typically drop off by car is supposed to be in the front but they don't enforce that.  My son and his friend get dropped off either in the back or by the band room to drop off stuff for drum practice later in the day. 

Daughter in HS.  She says that teachers sometimes ask kids to look things up on their phones.

Dress code:  not sure, have not had to worry about my prude daughter. 

How any school could allow for this is ridiculous, but there isn't much that surprises me anymore.
It's a tough battle. Up untill maybe 4 years ago we had a zero tolerance policy for phones in class. The issues were that it wasn't enforced evenly. Some teachers didn't care if a kid checked thier texts between assignments, before class started, etc. Others enforced the policy like they were working at Shawshank. Then there were the parents. When a phone got taken away, the parent had to get it. The office staff was barraged with angry parents all the time or then we had situations where parents couldn't come to get it and the kid needed their phone back for work or to communicate with siblings or whatever. It was a nightmare so the administration gave in and left it to the teachers discretion. I let the kids use their phones when working independently. Listening to music actually helps a lot. The class is way quieter and more focused when they have their music in. I encourage it and even have extra headphones for kids to borrow. I don't care if a kid takes a quick look at their social media here and there in class. However, when I am lecturing or we are having class discussions, the ear buds and phones need to go away. Also, I try to encourage the kids to use their phones for school. Set reminders in your calendar about due dates and meetings, take pictures of things on the board,  record class lectures, etc. It's great for the kids learning English as well.  I want them to learn that the phone can be used as a tool for work/school and not just sharing selfies. 

Users who are viewing this thread