What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soy Sauce (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
Soy Sauce

I guess this could go in a cooking thread...but thought it was interesting enough on its own.

Very interesting "article" {its a slide show, forgive me, but the pictures and videos attached to it are fascinating to me as well and add to the story), showing the old ways of making soy sauce and how what we know as soy sauce is really just crap.  Also very interesting guy whose family has been in that business for soy long and worked to keep the old traditions alive including some acts that just aren't normal of a businessman (teaching others his craft/secrets including sharing with what are basically competitors) as he is interested more about the history of the craft and culture to it than just making money.

It also sounds like making true soy sauce is pretty disgusting.

Any readily available brands that you all prefer that may be closer to what its meant to be vs the mass produced stuff we have?  I guess I need to find an Asian market and talk to someone about it...also this makes me really want to travel to Japan (which I already have wanted to add to my travel list for a while).

You can find the true Koji fermented soy sauce but you're going to pay a heckuva premium for it. 

Soy Sauce

I guess this could go in a cooking thread...but thought it was interesting enough on its own.

Very interesting "article" {its a slide show, forgive me, but the pictures and videos attached to it are fascinating to me as well and add to the story), showing the old ways of making soy sauce and how what we know as soy sauce is really just crap.  Also very interesting guy whose family has been in that business for soy long and worked to keep the old traditions alive including some acts that just aren't normal of a businessman (teaching others his craft/secrets including sharing with what are basically competitors) as he is interested more about the history of the craft and culture to it than just making money.

Any readily available brands that you all prefer that may be closer to what its meant to be vs the mass produced stuff we have?  I guess I need to find an Asian market and talk to someone about it...also this makes me really want to travel to Japan (which I already have wanted to add to my travel list for a while).
True soy sauce is great but I will confess that I have only had it at very high end sushi restaurants.  The Masa/Sushi Yasuda type places.  Would also add real wasabi is also so much better than the fake stuff you see almost everywhere.  

Semi-hijack:  it is an art to eat a corner of a crab rangoon and put the exact amount of soy sauce in without overpowering it. 

True soy sauce is great but I will confess that I have only had it at very high end sushi restaurants.  The Masa/Sushi Yasuda type places.  Would also add real wasabi is also so much better than the fake stuff you see almost everywhere.  
You mix wasabi into your soy sauce or just dab it onto your sushi?

That process is covered in the Salt episode of Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix. Fascinating -
Couldn't remember the name of the show, but I was going to mention that it was on Netflix.  Only four episodes.  I think the soy bit was the most interesting part of the series. 

Cliff's notes, por favor.

And what are the brands, if any, of authentic soy we can find in a grocery store?
The stuff we know is quickly processed stuff from steel vats...the authentic process involves cedar barrells that very few people know how to make...this guy's family has been making authentic fermented soy for many many years.  He was taught how to make the barrels and teaches others.  He has also been helping the Kikkoman people perfect their own product that they use to supply the royals in Japan.

Process is pretty nasty involving bacteria and bubbling and lots of stuff of course.

Not sure any authentic would be in the regular grocery store.  Maybe an asian market...and someone linked to this guy's company's product from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caesar said:
Couldn't remember the name of the show, but I was going to mention that it was on Netflix.  Only four episodes.  I think the soy bit was the most interesting part of the series. 
Give her roasted buttermilk chicken recipe a shot.

sho nuff said:
Soy Sauce

I enjoyed it but why is everything a slideshow now?

Samin Nosrat has been on the Bite podcast a couple of times. When she talked about the carrot soup recipe from Chez Panisse it blew my mind. So insanely easy and obvious (in retrospect) that you think it's impossible that she's telling the truth but she is. I have been a Nosrat fan and soup making fool ever since.

Looking forward to the SFAH episodes on Netflix.

Give her roasted buttermilk chicken recipe a shot.
The reaction of chicken to buttermilk - i first saw it in respect to those who soak chicken in buttermilk & spices overnite for fried chicken - is the most tremendous thing i've learned watching cooking on television. You can then cook it by nuclear explosion and it will still come out tender and moist.

My Japanese grandparents and Japanese mother are unapologetic mixers, and that’s how I learned when living in Japan as a child. I guess we’re the uncouth hillbillies of Japanese culture. 
And some people like their steak cooked well-done. Do whatever you want. And chefs might look at you sideways; they can do what they want as well.

And some people like their steak cooked well-done. Do whatever you want. And chefs might look at you sideways; they can do what they want as well.
I guess it’s okay to embrace my inner hillbilly?  Honestly, I wasn’t even aware that this was a faux pas until about 10 years ago, which was over 30 years into my sushi eating.  Old habits die hard I guess.  I blame my mom. She also insists on calling other Asians “orientals” even though I’ve told her a thousand times that it’s not the preferred nomenclature. But she’s 80 and couldn’t care less. 

Users who are viewing this thread