What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Skiing down K2-No he didn't die (1 Viewer)

Absolutely insane.

"Watson, perhaps the person who understands most intimately, puts Bargiel’s achievement in perspective: “He climbed to the bottom of space, the stratosphere basically, without oxygen, and skied down. By himself. This is on the same level of human achievement as Alex Honnold climbing El Capitan without a rope.”

“Nothing of this magnitude and commitment level and difficulty has ever been done,” adds Davenport. “Now K2 has been skied.” "

Two of the 5 others that tried and failed, died.

Both of those are below "my" top two tallest mountains, lol.  

Think earth's crust and go from there.
I always think this is the dumbest thing.  No offense to you, good sir.  But when I hear people say this, I think they don't understand the earth.  If you are going to count from the earth's crust, or whatever criteria, you would apply that to every mountain.  Not just the Hawaiian ones or ones in the ocean.  Mt. Everest can be measured to the crust, too.  It's base is just much wider.  Like, a quarter of the earth wide.  

I also hate when people try to say that mountains on the equator are bigger because the earth is being stretched, so they are technically higher.  STHU.  I feel like everyone has Asperger's Syndrome and tries to take everything so literal.  

Sorry to offend you Iron Sheik.  Science says otherwise and some might find it interesting.  Sounds like you should climb Everest someday soon.

Sorry to offend you Iron Sheik.  Science says otherwise and some might find it interesting.  Sounds like you should climb Everest someday soon.
You didn't offend.  And science does not say otherwise.  Again, explain to me why you can measure one mountain from the bottom of the ocean, but another mountain can only be measured to sea level?  

somewhat on topic" Touching the Void" is the story of two guys climbing a mountain in the Andes.  near the summit one guy breaks his leg.  In climbing circles this is a death sentence.  True story of survival at it's finest.

When I was in Argentina, we went to the base camp of Aconcagua.  It was awesome.  I got some pictures around the camp site.  The wind was whipping probably close to 80-90 mph, steady.  They say it's one of the "easiest" big mountains to climb.  But I'm not sure I want to pay $25, 000 to die.

When I left Mendoza, we flew to Santiago.  Same route the Alive rugby players flew.  I packed some bags of Doritos, just in case.  But the crazy part was when we finally hit cruising altitude, I looked out the window and the mountain was still eye level.  That's crazy.  I took some pictures, but it didn't really capture the moment.  Just something about looking out of your plane window and seeing something eye level with you.  

Awesome.  On so many levels  I’m a big skier, and that’s unreal  

And @TheIronSheik is right.  I drove up Haleakala a few months ago.  Right to the top!  wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt! It was a little nippy up there.  but, my kid is super resourceful, and wrapped the beach towels around herself, as we walked around. 

Prolly gonna win national geographic, outdoorsman of the year  

Suck it mountaineers!  

TheIronSheik said:
You didn't offend.  And science does not say otherwise.  Again, explain to me why you can measure one mountain from the bottom of the ocean, but another mountain can only be measured to sea level?  
Um, because they measure them from the earth's crust, not a waterline.  Look, I'm not the one that decided what makes up the earth and ####.  Since your dead set on what constitutes a mountain (they only start at sea level!), maybe you should go after them to prove your point.  Include your Raiders of the Lost Ark stories, that will learn 'em.

You guys are confusing me.

So what is the highest point on Earth?

To me, that is not the same thing as "tallest mountain".

For example the tallest roller coaster in the world might actually be below sea level while some kiddie coaster across the world might be 4000 feet above sea level.

irishidiot said:
This kind of stuff blows me away.  I've read almost all the books on Everest, K2, & the rest.  The men & women who dare to test fate in man vrs nature are indeed in a class of their own.

anyway:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/02/national-geographic-2019-adventurers-of-the-year/andrzej-bargiel-ski-mountaineer-k2/
This is amazing. Thanks.  Nat Geo is the ####.  Free solo came out for VOD today.  I felt like I was having a heart attack the whole time I was watching it. Literally my palms were sweating.  

Rodrigo Duterte said:
There's a mountain with a higher peak than Everest? This is something we should leverage, because minds will be blown.

DA RAIDERS said:
Awesome.  On so many levels  I’m a big skier, and that’s unreal  

And @TheIronSheik is right.  I drove up Haleakala a few months ago.  Right to the top!  wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt! It was a little nippy up there.  but, my kid is super resourceful, and wrapped the beach towels around herself, as we walked around. 

Prolly gonna win national geographic, outdoorsman of the year  

Suck it mountaineers!  
for those that missed this.....

i've already set the record, for highest peak climbed/driven/whatevs.  youngest person to summit one of the highest peaks in the world, in shorts!  still a cool ### pic!

Um, because they measure them from the earth's crust, not a waterline.  Look, I'm not the one that decided what makes up the earth and ####.  Since your dead set on what constitutes a mountain (they only start at sea level!), maybe you should go after them to prove your point.  Include your Raiders of the Lost Ark stories, that will learn 'em.
Again, you're missing the point.  Why are you only measuring Mount Everest from sea level but not the others?  Because they are in the ocean?  Well, news flash, the continent of Asia is technically in the ocean, too.  It's just got a wider base.  So whatever your bottom starting point for one mountain is, is the same for every other mountain.  If there was no water on Earth, what would be the highest mountain?  

Last edited by a moderator:
You ####ers will argue the sun coming up tomorrow :no:

I just noticed this and I must say, I'm curious to what this means.  Did I make a ROTLA reference and didn't even realize it?  I'm getting old and my memory is fading, so my notebook pages are fading as well.  I'm nonplussed as to what this could mean.

I can find scientists who say that you should measure the tallest mountain by reference to the distance from the center of the earth, which would make Chimborazo (and neither Mount Everest nor Mauna Kea) the tallest mountain.  Maybe you should go after them?

Don Quixote said:
I can find scientists who say that you should measure the tallest mountain by reference to the distance from the center of the earth, which would make Chimborazo (and neither Mount Everest nor Mauna Kea) the tallest mountain.  Maybe you should go after them?
This is what I was talking about when I said people say mountains on the equator.

Cool.  I can claim to have climbed hundreds of the Earth’s tallest peaks...and I was just walking around.  

“Well, it took years of training and prep. *waves to mom*.  I couldn’t have done it without...”

I think the distinction is the world's highest peak <> the mountain with the greatest change in elevation from base to peak.

Nobody does this unless at a ski resort. For starters, which valley floor is used for measurement. 
People in Guam do...

Mt. Lamlam = greatest difference in height from base (Mariana's Trench) to peak (1332' above sea level)

Though there is some dispute that the geography of Mt Lamlam actually extends to the deepest part of the Mariana's Trench.

People in Guam do...

Mt. Lamlam = greatest difference in height from base (Mariana's Trench) to peak (1332' above sea level)

Though there is some dispute that the geography of Mt Lamlam actually extends to the deepest part of the Mariana's Trench.
Why doesn't Mt. Everest have its starting point at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

Why doesn't Mt. Everest have its starting point at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?
:shrug:   too many peaks and valleys between them?

I suspect the answer would be something along the lines of: remove the world's oceans and compare where the natural geography goes from earth's crust to the peaks.

I came here to read about crazy dudes risking their lives just to get some powder turns in.

Maybe you nerds dissecting ways to measure mountain heights should go to the astronomy thread, you might fit in better there.   :pokey:

Users who are viewing this thread